RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fate of the Liberty: Predictions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your expectation for the future of the Liberty?
Fold - no buyer found
19%
 19%  [ 7 ]
No change - team kept by MSG after no buyer emerges
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
Sold - playing in New York metro area
38%
 38%  [ 14 ]
Sold - playing outside New York metro area
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 36

tfan

PostPosted: 11/29/17 1:21 am    ::: Fate of the Liberty: Predictions Reply Reply with quote

What is your expectation for the future of the New York Liberty?

I forgot to include: "No sale but WNBA takes over and runs the team at MSG"

Shades

PostPosted: 11/29/17 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You also forgot the option of Dolan keeping the club if an adequate buyer isn't found quickly enough and moving them to another venue such as the Westchester Community Center, which they have ties to and apparently Westchester is where most of the players live (if they want the free apartment) and practice.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 11/29/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You also forgot the option of Dolan keeping the club if an adequate buyer isn't found quickly enough and moving them to another venue such as the Westchester Community Center, which they have ties to and apparently Westchester is where most of the players live (if they want the free apartment) and practice.

I feel this is likely the worst case scenario for the Liberty. Even if the league were to take over the team, they'd probably move them to Westchester. I also don't think the league wants to fall below 12 teams. The WNBA has had at least 12 teams since 1999. To have less than that would be a step backwards for them.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 11/29/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I feel this is likely the worst case scenario for the Liberty. Even if the league were to take over the team, they'd probably move them to Westchester. I also don't think the league wants to fall below 12 teams. The WNBA has had at least 12 teams since 1999. To have less than that would be a step backwards for them.

No, it's a better option than the team folding and leaving the league with 11 teams.

Hmm... the league taking over the team wasn't even an option on the poll. Where would the league get the money to run the team, through a NBA handout or do they tax the current WNBA team owners? Maybe start a gofundme page?

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/29/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict another thread about the Liberty moving because... well, eight just isn't enough. Razz

PostPosted: 11/29/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I predict another thread about the Liberty moving because... well, eight just isn't enough. Razz

Agreed. It's ridiculous to have all these new threads rehashing the same questions. Especially since so much of the discussion is just guesswork with no facts.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Agreed. It's ridiculous to have all these new threads rehashing the same questions. Especially since so much of the discussion is just guesswork with no facts.

+1

PostPosted: 11/29/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You NY fans just want to have the longest threads, like the 4000 some pages you had for NY Liberty 2017. Razz Hell, I think there were dozens of pages just on Zealous trade proposals where there was just as much real info out there.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/29/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
You NY fans just want to have the longest threads, like the 4000 some pages you had for NY Liberty 2017. Razz Hell, I think there were dozens of pages just on Zealous trade proposals where there was just as much real info out there.

Sorry if us Liberty fans are the most passionate in the league and we're simply looking for answers & possible scenarios for what might happen to our team. We'll just sit over in the corner and keep quiet then...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/29/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Sorry if us Liberty fans are the most passionate in the league and we're simply looking for answers & possible scenarios for what might happen to our team. We'll just sit over in the corner and keep quiet then...

Awe toad , you guys are the entertainment of this league . The rants the pride you guys display for your Liberty is one of a kind and much appreciated . I wish i had more Wings fans on board with my team spirit , but i have enough for 4000 a night. Please continue to be such passionate fans we need more like you guys ...'We seriously do Shocked

PostPosted: 11/29/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

+1.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/29/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:

I'm a Liberty fan and have been since the team was founded. I'm a passionate fan of all my teams: the Liberty, the Mets, the Knicks, and the Queens College women's basketball team. (I've just returned from their home victory over Dominican College.)

Being "passionate," in my view, is not a justification for being endlessly repetitive. For way too many threads and posts covering the same discussions, often with no facts. I welcome anyone, Liberty fan or not, who has an actual fact to add to these discussions. Speculations without facts have no value.

P.S. As of late Wednesday night, the 23 most recent threads for the WNBA on this board include NINE about the New York Liberty.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for no change, team goes on because no buyer found.

Is that allowed, if I voted based solely on speculation and guess with no facts?

Actually, there is one fact, as discussed in less than eight threads: silence. Silence is an omni-explanation; it can mean nothing or anything. Sort of like the meaning of life, an eternal matter of eternal speculation.

But silence does betoken one fact: that there's no publicly known buyer yet. If no buyer continues to appear, that raises the question of whether Dolan will hold 'em or fold 'em. I'm guessing he'll hold for another year while continuing to look for a buyer.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some news Liberty Fans , Sounds promising but i wont unravel my sour grapes yet !
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21619656/msg-discussing-sale-wnba-new-york-liberty-several-groups

PostPosted: 11/30/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm... several groups are bidding? The WNBA is in demand!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/17 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hmm... several groups are bidding? The WNBA is in demand!

Exactly , Great sign for Lisa i guess if there's any in this situation at all Embarassed

PostPosted: 11/30/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This story has a couple of quotes from the Prez

https://apnews.com/d05534ca2d8a4356a1fc12c7d1b23d3f/WNBA-President-expects-Liberty-to-stay-in-New-York

Quote:
“We understand there is a significant interest in the team,” Borders told The Associated Press in a phone interview Wednesday. “We will have a team in New York. Mr. Dolan and MSG have been a terrific partner for 21 years.”

PostPosted: 11/30/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The league as a whole is coming off a strong year when attendance, viewership and merchandise sales were all up. Those numbers were buoyed by a series of new innovations the league undertook this year. From a deal to show games on Twitter to entering daily fantasy gaming and having WNBA players in a video game, there were a lot of new advances for the league.

“Those innovations were the most we’ve ever done at one time or season in the history of the W,” Borders said.

This , in bold i must agree with . Last season was a season i will always remember as far as reaching out to the public audience in multiple ways. I feel were in the right direction with a few bumps in the road on the way.

PostPosted: 11/30/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has got to be a positive for the league that several ownership groups are interested in buying the Liberty. You have to wonder if the MGM group didn't buy the Stars, if they were also going to put a bid in for the Liberty. Though I'm sure the league would much prefer the team staying in New York.

Also good news that we're hearing this this early and not until mid-January. Hopefully a sale goes through by New Year's.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 11/30/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YESS...great GREAT news...staying in NY... Smile

hopefully whoever wins the Bid, loves and cares about the W and Women's basketball in General

tfan

PostPosted: 12/01/17 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boston Herald copy of the AP story shows Candice Wiggins from 2015:

toad455

PostPosted: 12/01/17 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's funny how many people have now voted for "Sold - playing in New York metro area" recently.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/02/17 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully Borders is providing a truthful account but it's definitely good to hear those words. More importantly, I hope that if it's a transaction keeping the team in NY, that there's long-term viability involved.

PostPosted: 12/02/17 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
it's funny how many people have now voted for "Sold - playing in New York metro area" recently.

True, since most of us had to vote with only the sound of silence, the words of the prophets written on the subway walls and tenement halls.
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/02/17 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
toad455 wrote:

True, since most of us had to vote with only the sound of silence, the words of the prophets written on the subway walls and tenement halls.

Personally, I am a rock, I am an island.

As for the voting, it's a lot like the game day threads after the heavy underdog wins. Suddenly, that lopsided vote evens up. I guess people want to feel smart even if it's based on 20-20 hindsight. Smile

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: