RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than ever?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/20/17 12:56 pm    ::: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than ever? Reply Reply with quote

Over the last year or two, since Borders took over as league president, she’s been saying the league is stronger, more financially stable than it’s ever been.

So if that is the case, why have two WNBA teams been sold with one finding a new home and the W’s flagship team possibly folding if a new owner isn’t found soon?

Of course Prez Borders wants to project the WNBA as a league that is growing and becoming more stable and that will be around for another 20 years, but come on now, there are still only a small few of the 12 teams breaking even or making a small profit.

San Antonio’s owners finally gave up after over a decade of losing money with the Stars. NY’s owner is dumping the flagship team in the league after 20 years because he can make more money holding other events rather than the Liberty, which brings in pretty much zero $$’s. There have been other big time teams on the chopping block recently. Los Angeles almost lost their franchise. Indiana’s owners threatened the team a few years ago that they will be folded if they didn’t win a championship soon. Tulsa left a smaller city for a bigger city in hopes of higher attendance and that didn’t work out. I think attendance in Dallas is worse than it was in Tulsa. So, out of the three teams that have called Texas home, only one remains and it’s on very shaky grounds. Maybe Texas isn’t a WNBA state. Atlanta and Chicago have both been pretty much failures in terms of attracting fans to their games.

If you ask me, the WNBA is no better stable than it was 15 years ago. Losing the Liberty in New York will in my opinion be a disaster for the league, just as it was a near disaster when Los Angeles almost lost its team. If NY ends up folding, the league won’t be far behind in my opinion.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/20/17 1:58 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Over the last year or two, since Borders took over as league president, she’s been saying the league is stronger, more financially stable than it’s ever been.

So if that is the case, why have two WNBA teams been sold with one finding a new home and the W’s flagship team possibly folding if a new owner isn’t found soon?

Of course Prez Borders wants to project the WNBA as a league that is growing and becoming more stable and that will be around for another 20 years, but come on now, there are still only a small few of the 12 teams breaking even or making a small profit.

San Antonio’s owners finally gave up after over a decade of losing money with the Stars. NY’s owner is dumping the flagship team in the league after 20 years because he can make more money holding other events rather than the Liberty, which brings in pretty much zero $$’s. There have been other big time teams on the chopping block recently. Los Angeles almost lost their franchise. Indiana’s owners threatened the team a few years ago that they will be folded if they didn’t win a championship soon. Tulsa left a smaller city for a bigger city in hopes of higher attendance and that didn’t work out. I think attendance in Dallas is worse than it was in Tulsa. So, out of the three teams that have called Texas home, only one remains and it’s on very shaky grounds. Maybe Texas isn’t a WNBA state. Atlanta and Chicago have both been pretty much failures in terms of attracting fans to their games.

If you ask me, the WNBA is no better stable than it was 15 years ago. Losing the Liberty in New York will in my opinion be a disaster for the league, just as it was a near disaster when Los Angeles almost lost its team. If NY ends up folding, the league won’t be far behind in my opinion.

Just for clarification Dallas is not on shaky grounds , attendance is not what we have imagined but every WNBA team is most likely stating the same. Dallas wings will be here for at least the next 5 years + guaranteed .

PostPosted: 11/20/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that in some ways the league is more stable ...

I think more teams are financially sound than before (making a little or not losing nearly as much), and I think its longevity means that a generation of sports fans has grown up with it.

No question that the Liberty attempted sale is a major blow, and it certainly could have a huge negative impact, but it's only fair to wait and see how it plays out.

The WNBA has been, is and will be a niche league, and it seems teams can put 4,500 paying fans in arenas almost every night year in and year out.

That's not what the dream was, but it's still an achievement.

(And of course, what else is Borders going to say?)

PostPosted: 11/20/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league got off to a hot start in 1997 - and there was a tone of hype and interest and lots of buzz, esp from the media. Ackerman on record said they expected 4,500 fans per game - not the 9-10K it turned out to be. So the bar was indeed raised and some franchises (Minnesota, Phoenix, LA, NY, and at times Seattle) have hit that.

You've got to wait and see, re: the Liberty - Dolan was rumored for years not to be fully supportive so this shouldn't come as a total shock. Best outcome is to find a new owner or ownership group with deep pockets to keep the Liberty in MSG or Barclay's and pay the rent. No, it's not ideal but don't believe the WNBA will ever fold or go away. It's here, plain and simple.

I do worry about women and women's sports this day in age but that might relegated for another forum.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/20/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guess that league itself is in somewhat decent shape. But the individual franchises themselves are responsible for their own success or failure.

PostPosted: 11/20/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

(And of course, what else is Borders going to say?)

Right.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/20/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:
...(And of course, what else is Borders going to say?)

Right.

Lisa Borders would have said nothing different than what her predecessors (Laurel Ritchie and especially Donna Orender) would've said in a similar situation.

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:
...(And of course, what else is Borders going to say?)

Right.

Lisa Borders would have said nothing different than what her predecessors (Laurel Ritchie and especially Donna Orender) would've said in a similar situation.

Exactly. It is part of the job of the president (like it is the president of any organization).

Randy

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks more stable to me. From 2001-2005 3 teams folded. 2005-2009 3 teams folded. Two others, Atlanta and Detroit almost folded but were saved by finding new owners. As I recall, it was also in that time frame that the Fever owners said they needed more support and managed to get it via a Kroger sponsorship, etc.

Since that time no teams have folded, two have moved, and two have been sold. One is now for sale.

BTW - who was it that found new owners for the Dream? - The much maligned Lisa Borders.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/20/17 4:56 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Just for clarification Dallas is not on shaky grounds , attendance is not what we have imagined but every WNBA team is most likely stating the same. Dallas wings will be here for at least the next 5 years + guaranteed .

Unless your an owner of the Wings, you can’t guarantee anything so stop making things up.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/20/17 6:16 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Unless your an owner of the Wings, you can’t guarantee anything so stop making things up.

Unless your an owner of the Wings , you can't predict anything so stop making things up .

PostPosted: 11/20/17 6:28 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Unless your an owner of the Wings , you can't predict anything so stop making things up .

I’m not. Any team that struggles to get even 3500 fans to a game is on shaky grounds. If they don’t start getting a lot more fans, the team won’t make it 5 years. Those are the facts whether you like em or not.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/20/17 6:44 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

I’m not. Any team that struggles to get even 3500 fans to a game is on shaky grounds. If they don’t start getting a lot more fans, the team won’t make it 5 years. Those are the facts whether you like em or not.

And after year 5 hits and the wings are still in play then what will you say ? The only facts i am seeing at this moment is Dallas wings are still a team , theirs only 1 team in limbo at this time and you know who that is . So lets worry about that first before adding other teams to the dump also .

PostPosted: 11/20/17 7:42 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

This is absurd. No fan can "guarantee" that the Dallas Wings will be here for "at least the next 5 years." Absolutely empty words. I hope it's true. I hope every current WNBA team is here for many more years and that the league can successfully expand in that time. Guarantees? Seriously?

PostPosted: 11/20/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Liberty fold, it's a huge blow to the league. Even worse then when the Comets folded.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/21/17 1:27 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

This is absurd. No fan can "guarantee" that the Dallas Wings will be here for "at least the next 5 years." Absolutely empty words. I hope it's true. I hope every current WNBA team is here for many more years and that the league can successfully expand in that time. Guarantees? Seriously?

So i guess id be absurd for saying the wings will be here next season also guaranteed ? Yep your right

PostPosted: 11/21/17 4:07 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

So i guess id be absurd for saying the wings will be here next season also guaranteed ? Yep your right

Yes you would be absurd for saying that. If I said earlier in the offseason that San Antonio was being sold and moving to another city, people would say that I was crazy. But then out of the blue, it happened. Same with the Liberty. Came out of left field for both teams. You cannot guarantee 100% that in another week or so or in a month, the Wings owners all of a sudden come out of nowhere and say were selling the Wings. It’s happened before. What about Sacramento. There was absolutely no warning, then one day poof. They were gone. You cannot guarantee anything when the WNBA is concerned. For all we know, the owners of the Minnesota Lynx might come out next week and say they’re selling the Lynx and moving them outta Minnesota. So just.. stop already with your nonesense. Will the Wings announce they’re selling the team in a few weeks? Probably not, but you don’t know that for sure.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/21/17 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suppose I "guarantee" that Tina Charles will play all 34 regular-season games in 2018 and will average 41 points and 22 rebounds per game. The only thing more ridiculous than a "guarantee" from a fan using his or her real name is a "guarantee" from someone using an Internet alias.

PostPosted: 11/21/17 7:22 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Yes you would be absurd for saying that. If I said earlier in the offseason that San Antonio was being sold and moving to another city, people would say that I was crazy. But then out of the blue, it happened. Same with the Liberty. Came out of left field for both teams. You cannot guarantee 100% that in another week or so or in a month, the Wings owners all of a sudden come out of nowhere and say were selling the Wings. It’s happened before. What about Sacramento. There was absolutely no warning, then one day poof. They were gone. You cannot guarantee anything when the WNBA is concerned. For all we know, the owners of the Minnesota Lynx might come out next week and say they’re selling the Lynx and moving them outta Minnesota. So just.. stop already with your nonesense. Will the Wings announce they’re selling the team in a few weeks? Probably not, but you don’t know that for sure.

Well i guess this is not a good time to say the only guarantee thats most likely to happen is no liberty in MSG anymore ? Crying or Very sad You can come to College park though we accept everyone with open arms here seriously !

PostPosted: 11/21/17 7:38 pm    ::: Re: So how exaclty is the league more stable now more than e Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Well i guess this is not a good time to say the only guarantee thats most likely to happen is no liberty in MSG anymore ? Crying or Very sad You can come to College park though we accept everyone with open arms here seriously !

Go to Texas? No thanks. I’ll pass on that one.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/22/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serious question that has been hit on before, but I'll ask it again. Do franchises save money by utilizing smaller arenas? Ala the Wings? It always made sense to me to sellout a smaller to midsize arena then upgrade instead of have every game in a huge arena that's 1/4th full...or does the rent not get affected by the attendance?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/23/17 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie Downer thread.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 11/23/17 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Serious question that has been hit on before, but I'll ask it again. Do franchises save money by utilizing smaller arenas? Ala the Wings? It always made sense to me to sellout a smaller to midsize arena then upgrade instead of have every game in a huge arena that's 1/4th full...or does the rent not get affected by the attendance?

I don't know the answer, but I would assume that smaller arenas rent for less. Although the rental price should also be influenced by how booked an arena is during the summer months. The Chicago Sky moved from a 6,500 seat arena to an 18,500 seat arena. Their attendance seemed to be increased at the larger arena (though never great). That could be due to the location being better, or it may be that people are more inclined to go to a game if held at an NBA-sized arena. And if there is an increase in attendance it may cancel out an increase in cost.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/23/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think "it depends." We might have thought the Dream were paying less for the GA tech arena when they had to move from Phillips, but according to Bob's Scouting Report in another thread (which I can't find, sorry) GA Tech demanded a high price because they knew the Dream had no other options. If there is competition then it would seem like the price should be lower for a smaller arena.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: