RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke should drop like a rock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/19/17 3:41 pm    ::: Duke should drop like a rock Reply Reply with quote

After today's loss to unranked Villanova, Duke should drop way down in the top 25 and eventually drop out. Fans of women's basketball everywhere should be protesting Duke's retention of Coach McCallie. Nelson-Ododa's choice for UConn over Duke signifies the end of Duke getting players based on academics. Sub 20 recruiting class coming in. Future is bleak and getting bleaker.

Faz Davalos is not the front court savior some thought she'd be. Tearing it up at a mid major does not translate to success in a P6 conference.

I hope Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell are enjoying grad school and was worth playing another season for Coach JPM.

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 11/19/17 6:08 pm    ::: Re: Duke should drop like a rock Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
After today's loss to unranked Villanova, Duke should drop way down in the top 25 and eventually drop out. Fans of women's basketball everywhere should be protesting Duke's retention of Coach McCallie. Nelson-Ododa's choice for UConn over Duke signifies the end of Duke getting players based on academics. Sub 20 recruiting class coming in. Future is bleak and getting bleaker.

Faz Davalos is not the front court savior some thought she'd be. Tearing it up at a mid major does not translate to success in a P6 conference.

I hope Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell are enjoying grad school and was worth playing another season for Coach JPM.

I think JPM should be given a 10 year extension. Very Happy

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/19/17 6:35 pm    ::: Re: Duke should drop like a rock Reply Reply with quote

Like clockwork.

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/19/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought we didn't do spoilers in headlines on this message board.
Oh well.

Rolling Eyes

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/19/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Oh well.

Rolling Eyes

It's not a spoiler that Duke sucks.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 11/19/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/20/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand the urge to burn everything to the ground, but... have you considered just finding another team to pour love into until McCallie leaves Duke? Instead of knee-jerk rage?

(now with spelling variations)
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/20/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the old achilles heel for JPMac. Can't defend the perimeter. Duke has often had fits with teams that could spread the floor and reliably hit the three. Defense doesn' adjust. When Brown went out, so did the DeBils best perimter defender. They miss Lambert in this area although even if she was available, they probably wouldn't win this game.

Odom's a good post player but the rest of the paint players are limited in ability/skill.

Duke had a down year in recruiting. That could be an isolated event. But when Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Louisville are recruiting well every year, one year can be problematic.

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/20/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Oh well.

Rolling Eyes

LOL, okay I'll give it to you. Good answer. I was just hoping to watch the replay.

I understand the rage and I'm not judging RaF for it. I've been following G and the ladies since my sister handed me a copy of the Duke Chronicle feature on the young new coach in 1992. I've always been a huge Duke women's fan - will never forget the sheer joy of the 1999 E8 win over Pat and the Meeks...or the Foley shot iin 04 or the heartbreak in 2006 or the 06-07 team literally running over the Lady Vols (or any of the games in the UT series)...and they were FUN to watch in the later years. Beautiful athletes and passing teams, esp her best teams. In on all the recruits and attendance was hot and rising. Good kids fans genuinely connected with. G was going to get hers, no doubt.

It's so hard to think about what the Duke program might have been had she not been run off by Alleva. Imagine what the Ogwumikes could have done with Chelsea Gray as their point guard in Durham. Women's college ball overall could be greater and have more sustained interest and a larger following with a standout Duke program and a packed and exciting Cameron Indoor Stadium - not one that consistently under-delivers and disappoints. It's sad to see the puny numbers in the box scores.

This game misses Pat first and foremost, but the lack of a winning, dominant and successful Duke program is the (very distant) #2 aspect holding the game back IMO. (And conference realignment and Death of Big East is #3!)

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/21/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Oh well.

Rolling Eyes

LOL, okay I'll give it to you. Good answer. I was just hoping to watch the replay.

I understand the rage and I'm not judging RaF for it. I've been following G and the ladies since my sister handed me a copy of the Duke Chronicle feature on the young new coach in 1992. I've always been a huge Duke women's fan - will never forget the sheer joy of the 1999 E8 win over Pat and the Meeks...or the Foley shot iin 04 or the heartbreak in 2006 or the 06-07 team literally running over the Lady Vols (or any of the games in the UT series)...and they were FUN to watch in the later years. Beautiful athletes and passing teams, esp her best teams. In on all the recruits and attendance was hot and rising. Good kids fans genuinely connected with. G was going to get hers, no doubt.

It's so hard to think about what the Duke program might have been had she not been run off by Alleva. Imagine what the Ogwumikes could have done with Chelsea Gray as their point guard in Durham. Women's college ball overall could be greater and have more sustained interest and a larger following with a standout Duke program and a packed and exciting Cameron Indoor Stadium - not one that consistently under-delivers and disappoints. It's sad to see the puny numbers in the box scores.

This game misses Pat first and foremost, but the lack of a winning, dominant and successful Duke program is the (very distant) #2 aspect holding the game back IMO. (And conference realignment and Death of Big East is #3!)

Thank you PR for understanding the depth of feeling here. The Duke campus is literally over my back fence. NC State is a fine program - but 1 hour away. I do develop favorites - currently Oregon with Sabrina Ionescu, the triple double machine. Also support UCLA, since I attended college there for a year and also attended some games while taking care of my grandma after college. I've also gone all in on the WNBA and enjoy evaluating college players and how they'll fit my fave teams - Mystics and Sparks.

I cheer for all asst coaches who've escaped and all former players who transferred. It's not that easy to find another program when I had one right over my back fence. The fact that the Duke AD doesn't give a damn about women's basketball should have the women's basketball world in an uproar.

Pretty much like Ted Leonsis and the Mystics - letting Sheila Johnson destroy a fanatical fanbase. That set WNBA attendance averages down since the Mystics used to bring the average up instead of down. Have you heard an interview of her at a Mystics game? It's "my new condo development blah blah blah." So I became an LA fan since that's where I'm from and my all time fave player is Chelsea Gray. Not so easy when the college team you've supported for over 30 years is literally over your back fence.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke looks pretty good in blowing out ODU 38-18 at the half. Completely dominating the boards among other things.

Not surprisingly, rumors of Duke's demise appear premature and exaggerated.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/22/17 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To play devils' advocate, or something like that, Old Dominion is... not good. My understanding from the transfer thread was that they lost a lot of players with the coaching change.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke has two good players and a couple of somewhat adequate ones, but after that, it really doesn't look very good.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 11/22/17 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke is still down the PG they had so much success with last season, Kyra Lambert. I'm not sure when she is set to return.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/23/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
To play devils' advocate, or something like that, Old Dominion is... not good. My understanding from the transfer thread was that they lost a lot of players with the coaching change.

I'm...not happy at some of those girls. The ones who transferred to UNCW to stay with Coach Barefoot I can understand, but the ones who bailed without even talking to Nikki....no use for that at all. Nikki McCray-Penson is a quality person and a good coach and I think will build a good program at ODU, given some time. She did the best recruiting she could in the time frame she had, but wow.....! It's gonna take a couple of years.

PostPosted: 11/24/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Duke looks pretty good in blowing out ODU 38-18 at the half. Completely dominating the boards among other things.

Not surprisingly, rumors of Duke's demise appear premature and exaggerated.

LOL. Can count on Art for the counterpoint every time.

How's this? Duke will not beat Notre Dame while JPM is the coach. And there you have it. ALL teams want JPM to stay because they know their team will beat Duke. Thanks for proving the point, Art.

Any team with ANY post game is gonna beat Duke. Period.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/25/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Period! Shocked

So what's the spin now that Duke beat Oregon State. - a ranked team whose strength is its post game?

I can't wait for this bit of brilliance. Laughing Laughing Laughing

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/26/17 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Period! Shocked

So what's the spin now that Duke beat Oregon State. - a ranked team whose strength is its post game?

I can't wait for this bit of brilliance. Laughing Laughing Laughing

That was a post game? There certainly was one post PLAYER. And not a lot else. Next.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And right on cue. . .

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/26/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
And right on cue. . .

Yes, you are. Like a bad penny.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/26/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christ fucking almighty, you two, stop taking each other's bait.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 11/30/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

should make a big rebound with the win over Ohio State tonight.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon St, Now Ohio St. And it turns out the one loss was to a pretty good Villanova team.

Doing pretty well it seems.

Better rename the thread "Duke should climb like a rocket.".

Shades

PostPosted: 12/01/17 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rAf must have meant "Duke should drop it like it's hot". It's the only thing that makes sense.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RaCodgL9cvk" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/01/17 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oregon St, Now Ohio St. And it turns out the one loss was to a pretty good Villanova team.

Doing pretty well it seems.

Better rename the thread "Duke should climb like a rocket.".

lol. From the person who supports Notre Dame, who can keep winning the ACC while JPM is at the helm at Duke. <motives are suspect> Enjoy your domination of the ACC while it lasts. Duke provides zero competition.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: