RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

M.S.G. Group Intends To Sell The Liberty!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A player could probably live decently in Canada if paid in American dollars.

I don't see how players making near rookie salaries in the WNBA could possibly even afford housing near MSG. You either have to live far, far away in NJ, Long Island or an outer borough, or live in a sleazy one room dump in Manhattan, perhaps shared with 10 illegal aliens.
tfan

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I don't see how players making near rookie salaries in the WNBA could possibly even afford housing near MSG. You either have to live far, far away in NJ, Long Island or an outer borough, or live in a sleazy one room dump in Manhattan, perhaps shared with 10 illegal aliens.

I believe the teams all supply free housing. At least they used to.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ugly and hugely exaggerated.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I believe most players live in Westchester. Past players have lived in NJ and Queens. Somehow, they all survived the commute.

(now with spelling variations)
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/17/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Maybe it's time for a team in Canada. Toronto.

A team in Toronto would never work. The WNBA has very VERY little exposure in Canada. There is no ESPN in Canada. And NBAtv Canada doesn’t show much WNBA games compared to the US NBAtv. Plus, there would never be any roster stability in Toronto as NO one is going to want to play in Canada aside from maybe the couple Canadian players in the league. The team would never be successful. Any top players they do get, will bail / force trades the first chance they get.

What would WNBA players not like about Canada?

Players didn’t want to play in Tulsa, and the big stars still don’t like playing in Connecticut for the most part. Why would they want to play in Canada during the summers? Overseas in the winter, Canada in the summer. Far away from their families ALL year around. big time NBA players don’t want to play in Toronto, and leave when they can. The wnba players want to play in their own country in the summer. It won’t work.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/17/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

A team in Toronto would never work. The WNBA has very VERY little exposure in Canada. There is no ESPN in Canada. And NBAtv Canada doesn’t show much WNBA games compared to the US NBAtv. Plus, there would never be any roster stability in Toronto as NO one is going to want to play in Canada aside from maybe the couple Canadian players in the league. The team would never be successful. Any top players they do get, will bail / force trades the first chance they get.

Not true. I was in Canada earlier this year and the games followed the US NBA TV schedule exactly.
I don't know how much WNBA interest there is in Canada, but I don't imagine the players would have too many problems being based there. Canada is lovely, and the more likely locations, like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal are not far at all from the USA. Arguably closer than Tulsa is Razz [/Liz]

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So just out out of curiosity - how many of the Liberty fans here are season ticket holders and have renewed already for next season?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had not yet renewed but would have once I got my tax refund.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Canada is lovely, and the more likely locations, like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal are not far at all from the USA. Arguably closer than Tulsa is Razz [/Liz]

Yeah, not sure how this "far away" thing works. Toronto is litteraly across the lake from Buffalo and Vancouver is a stones throw away from Seattle.

And Canada is amazing during the summer months.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

No wonder you think NVMC is a good idea. Smh.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The Liberty also have a star player who forced a trade so she could play in NYC. If they moved, would she force another trade to be closer to home?

Like say Connecticut? Lol.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
myrtle wrote:
The Liberty also have a star player who forced a trade so she could play in NYC. If they moved, would she force another trade to be closer to home?

God I hope not. No Connecticut Sun fan wants that diva bitch back. No thank you. I know a LOT of Sun fans and not one of them would welcome her back to the Sun.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
No wonder you think NVMC is a good idea.

Let me clarify.

I think the Nassau Coliseum is a good relative idea and only if we are trying to keep the team in or very near NYC. It seems to me that it's economically infeasible to have a profitable WPBB team playing at MSG or Barclay if you are not the owner of those arenas, and maybe not even if you are. Therefore, I think the Nassau Coliseum, for the NYC area, may be relatively more economically feasible. (I agree that no one wants to go to Newark . . . for any reason.)

If one assumes this lack of NYC economic feasibility is true, then I actually think the Liberty would be better off going to another and less expensive city altogether. I don't know where that would be and have no preference myself, but it seems to me there are many possibilities.

WPBB has never been and never will be more than a niche sport. It will be reasonably popular in locations that have strong and entertaining teams, such as in Minneapolis now, but the popularity will drop fast when the team inevitably becomes average or worse.
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
So just out out of curiosity - how many of the Liberty fans here are season ticket holders and have renewed already for next season?

Already enrolled for next year, on a monthly payment basis.

(now with spelling variations)
libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team supplies housing up in White Plains NY

libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

The team supplies housing in White Plains NY

libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

The team supplies housing in White Plains NY

libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I did under the false pretense they would still be playing at MSG! Dolan didnt come up with this the morning of the meeting. He knew this for a while! And when you renewed for the 15% off, they auto enrolled you in the new program of auto-renew for 2019 season. We can un-enroll in April.

libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
myrtle wrote:

God I hope not. No Connecticut Sun fan wants that diva bitch back. No thank you. I know a LOT of Sun fans and not one of them would welcome her back to the Sun.

"diva bitch" really!!?? She is super nice and a AMAZING player! MVP candidate every year and you wouldnt want her back with your team? wow

jmvcity

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they stay in NY but move out of MSG, they better offer full refunds to those unwilling to make the trek to the new arena.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

libertycrazy97 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
myrtle wrote:

"diva bitch" really!!?? She is super nice and a AMAZING player! MVP candidate every year and you wouldnt want her back with your team? wow

For the last two seasons, Tina Charles has been donating her entire WNBA salary to her foundation, HOPEY'S HEART, which helps raise awareness for sudden cardiac arrest.

"Diva bitch"? Our world needs many more people like Tina Charles. Whether she is an MVP candidate or not.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

What would WNBA players not like about Canada?

Players didn’t want to play in Tulsa, and the big stars still don’t like playing in Connecticut for the most part. Why would they want to play in Canada during the summers? Overseas in the winter, Canada in the summer. Far away from their families ALL year around. big time NBA players don’t want to play in Toronto, and leave when they can. The wnba players want to play in their own country in the summer. It won’t work.

It doesn't matter if a player is playing in New York City or Montreal, if their family lives in Denver, they are far away and aren't going to see them during the WNBA season.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/18/17 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Canada is lovely, and the more likely locations, like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal are not far at all from the USA. Arguably closer than Tulsa is Razz [/Liz]

Yeah, not sure how this "far away" thing works. Toronto is litteraly across the lake from Buffalo and Vancouver is a stones throw away from Seattle.

And Canada is amazing during the summer months.

Vancouver is 142 miles from Seattle, 2.5 hours by car when the weather is good and the traffic isn't an issue.

I guess that qualifies as a stone's throw, but if a game ended at 10 p.m., the second leg of the five-hour drive would get a fan home close to 1 a.m.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14395965/1/speculation-swirls-around-msg-jim-dolan-s-media-empire.html

Quote:
The real question is what is going on at MSG and why did the company choose now to sell, the source said. The value of the Liberty, the source said, was marginal to the company's bottom line.

Quote:
According to David Miller of Loop Capital Markets LLC, the Liberty had negative free cash flow of $23 million in 2017 and are on pace to lose about $41 million in 2018. The firm attributed an asset value of negative $414 million to the franchise, or 18 times its cash flow.

Still, the franchise should garner interest.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/18/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so MSG is basically in a downward spiral and as long as Dolan is in control, it will continue to spiral downward. Cutting the Liberty is basically trying to save $10 on a $1 million dollar investment.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: