RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/15/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Wilson is also a perfect fit with the roster LV already has.

Assuming you think she makes a good frontcourt with Harrison. Some might argue they're both 4s, which would leave LV? either shoehorning them together or still searching for a 5 (unless Kayla Alexander really flourishes under Laimbeer, which isn't impossible).

PostPosted: 11/15/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/jackpot-las-vegas-wins-wnba-draft-lottery/2017/11/13/4854025a-c8d2-11e7-b506-8a10ed11ecf5_story.html

Quote:
“Consensus is she’s the No. 1 pick,” Laimbeer said. “Time will tell. In our league, there’s some really big players.”

THIS and she is smaller than listed.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/15/17 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if coates does decide to re-enter the draft which is still a possiblity , does she go #1 or 2 ? Or does she still end up drafted to chicago with 3 or 4 ? My guess is that she needs to just sign and suit up .

PostPosted: 11/15/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
So if coates does decide to re-enter the draft which is still a possiblity , does she go #1 or 2 ? Or does she still end up drafted to chicago with 3 or 4 ? My guess is that she needs to just sign and suit up .

Why would Chicago draft her again if she doesn't want to be there?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 11/15/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Coates has plans on re-entering the draft,chicago should just sign/trade Coates to the team of her choice.Why waste a draft pick when you can get something in return.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/15/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Would likely cost Coates money to re-enter the draft. She probably would not be a lottery pick, esp. for Chicago.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/15/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Would likely cost Coates money to re-enter the draft. She probably would not be a lottery pick, esp. for Chicago.

Same thoughts i had also , but money doesnt seem to be a big issue for Alaina im guessing since shes waited out this long . If coates does suit up , that could be one hell of a team in chicago .

Slooty
Quigley
Diamond/Kelsey
Gabby
Coates
Dolson
Breland
Cappie
Hampton
Faulkner
Too lazy to look at the roster online , still 1 hell of a team !

PostPosted: 11/15/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would also cost Coates money because she couldn't play over-seas at all this season. As soon as she signs a contract over-seas she becomes a reserved player in Chicago if I understand the rules correctly.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Laimbeer drafts Gabby Williams #1, bringing home a hometown star, which would be a great marketing tool. Gabby would probably love it as well. And then he’ll sign free agent Tina Charles somehow or another. He didn’t seem too interested in A’ja Wilson. Who would be when he knows he’s going to get Tina Charles.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/18/17 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I think Laimbeer drafts Gabby Williams #1, bringing home a hometown star, which would be a great marketing tool. Gabby would probably love it as well. And then he’ll sign free agent Tina Charles somehow or another. He didn’t seem too interested in A’ja Wilson. Who would be when he knows he’s going to get Tina Charles.

It is a seven-hour drive from Reno to Las Vegas (618 miles) ...

And even if Gabby were from Las Vegas, there's no evidence that having played for a local high school has any significant impact on attendance.

Lots of people tend to forget how big states are in the West. It's an 11-hour drive from one end of California to the other, and that's if the traffic is flowing.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, many of the people attending games will probably be out of town visitors who are marginal WBB fans at best.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

He said he wanted size because players in this league are "Big" how would Gabby be the answer to that ? Laughing

PostPosted: 11/18/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're not going to really know how Laimbeer feels about a player until after the draft is over.... even though he has the #1 pick.

If he really doesn't want Aja Wilson, he should be talking her up to increase her trade value.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/22/17 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, apparently after all the "gawsh, what are they going to name the team?" excitement, they're going to name the team... the Stars. (If they can.)

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/documents-show-wnba-files-to-name-team-las-vegas-stars/

(now with spelling variations)
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/22/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Well, apparently after all the "gawsh, what are they going to name the team?" excitement, they're going to name the team... the Stars. (If they can.)

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/documents-show-wnba-files-to-name-team-las-vegas-stars/

Problem is that the article also says the process typicaly takes a year, and they filed the application on October 14th. Are they gonna play the whole of next season as the Las Vegas Umms? Ooh, in the modern tinder world, maybe they could be the Las Vegas Strs to get round things.

PostPosted: 11/22/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I hope they can’t. I want an all new name. The Starzz/Stars have had zero success over the years. They should have changed the name completely to erase that stigma.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The should-be Las Vegas Lights are applying for a federal trademark on the name "Las Vegas Stars". They can use the name in the meanwhile and even if they don't get the trademark, unless someone else who claims to own the trademark on that name successfully brings a trademark infringement suit.
tfan

PostPosted: 11/22/17 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I hope they can’t. I want an all new name. The Starzz/Stars have had zero success over the years. They should have changed the name completely to erase that stigma.

I think "zero success" is overstating it unless success is only defined as winning the WNBA title, in which case it also applies to 5 other teams in the league. The Starzz played in the Western Conference finals in 2002, as did the Silver Stars in 2007. The 2008 Silver Stars were in the WNBA finals.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/23/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I think "zero success" is overstating it unless success is only defined as winning the WNBA title, in which case it also applies to 5 other teams in the league. The Starzz played in the Western Conference finals in 2002, as did the Silver Stars in 2007. The 2008 Silver Stars were in the WNBA finals.

More losing seasons than winning seasons

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/23/17 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Queenie wrote:

By that criteria, the Minnesota Lynx are also an unsuccessful franchise.

PostPosted: 11/23/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Yeah. Same reason the Minnesota Lynx are widely regarded to have had "zero success" as well.
[ETA] D'oh ... Richyyy beat me to it

PostPosted: 11/23/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Queenie wrote:

By that criteria, the Minnesota Lynx are also an unsuccessful franchise.

Not just unsuccessful. They have apparently had "zero success."

Randy

PostPosted: 11/23/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am reminded of a sig line I saw once that seems appropriate here: "Often wrong, never in doubt."

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/30/17 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on the way that the Mandalay Bay hosted the Play4Kay Showcase this past weekend, the team needs a lot of work if it wants to attract an audience. The venue is potentially nice, but there was no permanent scoreboard, just a video screen that was initially blocked by the basket stanchions to most of the audience (it was improved at halftime of the second game). The attendance was awful for the first day when there never more than 250 people in attendance at any one time. I saw an announced attendance figure of over 1200 for the 4 games, but even that was inflated. My guess was there were maybe 600 people that came through the turnstiles.

There were also no programs or rosters available to be picked up by patrons. When I asked before the first game started a women came out and personally handed out programs to each person in attendance that wanted one (at the time there were perhaps 125 people, the programs included rosters for both the teams in the Play4Kay Showcase and a Men's Tournament that was played earlier in the week) but when I stretched my legs after the second game I made a point of looking to see if they had put out programs, I saw that they had not. It was very poorly run.

While I didn't go back for the next two nights, I saw that the attendance for the final between Ohio St and Stanford drew less than 1500 announced. One of the reasons I decided not to go back was the $17 parking fee. When the cost of parking is more than half the cost of the event I believe that is a problem.

The Las Vegas team has 6 months to fix these problems. I hope they will.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/10/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Google translated article

Quote:
Shock in Turin-Ragusa female, Ivana Tikvic struck at the nape by Dearica Hamby
In these hours, our athlete Ivana Tikvic was discharged from the "Martini" hospital in Turin after being admitted for tests and treatments in the evening yesterday.

https://www.sportando.com/m/it/europa/altre-leghe/257051/shock-in-torino-ragusa-femminile-ivana-tikvic-colpita-alla-nuca-da-dearica-hamby.html

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0rINMIs_5Gg" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 8 of 30

Jump to: