RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mike & Mike show signed off today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:05 am    ::: Mike & Mike show signed off today Reply Reply with quote

Last show, after 18 years.

Some people like them, some people hate them, but an 18 year run has to be considered a huge success, and they did become an "institution."

One wonders whose bright idea it was to split them up. Seems like a big gamble. I expect whatever replaces them to not be as good as what came before.

They just had a strange chemistry. The whole was definitely greater than the sum of the parts.

I wasn't a regular listener/viewer, but it was nice to know it was there if you wanted something mindless in the morning at home or on the commute to work.

18 years. All done.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got a hunch that another wave of layoffs are coming at ESPN, as it did earlier this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/27/report-espn-will-lay-off-40-to-60-more-employees-by-the-end-of-the-year/?utm_term=.ccc2153baaf3

Quote:
ESPN is preparing for another round of layoffs in late November or early December, the network's third round of job cuts over the past two years. This round will affect 40 to 60 employees both from in front of the camera and behind it, McCarthy's sources told him, with one saying the network’s "SportsCenter" highlight show will be especially affected.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's already been announced, I believe.

This end to Mike & Mike as well as their next, separate, shows, was announced at least six months ago, even before the first block of layoffs. They both still have jobs, although whether their producers and crew do is probably a different question.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shit like this is inexplicable. There was a show, technically still on the air, that is the mother of all local morning news shows in the United States and probably worldwide. Good Day L.A. The chemistry of the three hosts, Steve Edwards, Dorothy Lucey, and Jillian Barberie, was television magic. Never had constant interruption and irreverent innuendo, totally improvised and dependent on the personal good and bad chemistry of the three, done so much. I actually didn’t watch it that much, because I haven’t been a morning person for most of my life.

But then they broke it up after 18 or so years by firing the women. They replaced them with some young hot chick named Maria Sansone and, incredibly, they struck gold again with her. She was razor sharp but like a modern day Gracie Allen played sort of dumb. It was as perfect as big city LA could ask for and, once again, GDLA made every other morning show in this town seem like it was being broadcast from Topeka Kansas.

Then, Sansone had a baby. She came back to work quickly but she’d ditched the faux ditziness. And poof, the magic was gone. The show has sucked ever since and they’ve struggled through bad chemistry ever since. Steve became an almost glowering bully with these young terrified co-hosts. Now the whole thing has settled into boring mundane morning show nothingness

So, many reasons for these decisions but it’s usually a bad move for the quality of a product that is long established and chugging along.

justintyme

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Shit like this is inexplicable. There was a show, technically still on the air, that is the mother of all local morning news shows in the United States and probably worldwide. Good Day L.A. The chemistry of the three hosts, Steve Edwards, Dorothy Lucey, and Jillian Barberie, was television magic. Never had constant interruption and irreverent innuendo, totally improvised and dependent on the personal good and bad chemistry of the three, done so much.

So you're saying we have these people to blame for "Fox and Friends"? Wink

PostPosted: 11/17/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Shit like this is inexplicable. There was a show, technically still on the air, that is the mother of all local morning news shows in the United States and probably worldwide. Good Day L.A. The chemistry of the three hosts, Steve Edwards, Dorothy Lucey, and Jillian Barberie, was television magic. Never had constant interruption and irreverent innuendo, totally improvised and dependent on the personal good and bad chemistry of the three, done so much.

So you're saying we have these people to blame for "Fox and Friends"? Wink

No that’s network and goes way back to the early Today Show if not before that. The local morning show came later and probably there were many before Good Day LA but GDLA was groundbreaking in its actually making something of the time slot, setting a bar that no one else even came close to. That show was the opposite of a Good Morning America toned show wherein you had loads of stories from the heartland etc. GDLA was like an acid-tongued 2-martini lunch in Malibu with people who seemed sometimes only to be barely tolerating each other. It was raucous, but it worked.

Jillian was the wild-card say anything weather chick. But Dorothy Lucey, the entertainment and gossip reporter was the one you might not have appreciated in terms of her talent, I never got her and I always thought she was the weak link. Until the later years when I really started to understand what was happening on that show. Then I thought, wow, jammer. You are one dumb bunny to have missed how important this person is to the flow and magic and energy of the show. What’s a little weird is that there doesn’t seem to be, last I checked anyway, any YouTube videos of that show. I mean, this is one of those things that will probably never be lauded or recognized beyond a handful of local TV news insiders and, of course, the many loyal viewers.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/17/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
But then they broke it up after 18 or so years by firing the women. They replaced them with some young hot chick named Maria Sansone and, incredibly, they struck gold again with her. She was razor sharp but like a modern day Gracie Allen played sort of dumb. It was as perfect as big city LA could ask for and, once again, GDLA made every other morning show in this town seem like it was being broadcast from Topeka Kansas.

Then, Sansone had a baby. She came back to work quickly but she’d ditched the faux ditziness. And poof, the magic was gone. The show has sucked ever since and they’ve struggled through bad chemistry ever since. Steve became an almost glowering bully with these young terrified co-hosts. Now the whole thing has settled into boring mundane morning show nothingness

Children ruin everything.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Children ruin everything.

I know, right? Why are they always on my lawn?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: