Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/10/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
Its possible that marriage troubles messed with her. She was solid her rookie year. Being apart so much can be hard on any marriage. However, she has never lived up to her potential.

Who established her potential? She was the #10 pick.

At this point, I would say Atlanta did when they traded a lottery pick in a rich draft to get her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/10/17 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
Its possible that marriage troubles messed with her. She was solid her rookie year. Being apart so much can be hard on any marriage. However, she has never lived up to her potential.

At this point, I would say Atlanta did when they traded a lottery pick in a rich draft to get her.

but, but, but....they also got T. Young Twisted Evil

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/11/17 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atl was in the middle of the pack when they made the trade, trading picks before you know what they are is always a risk but I'm guessing they thought the result of the trade would be slight improvement and ending slightly higher in the middle of the pack. If they landed at #6 in the playoffs and the pick ended up being #7 the trade would have been fine. I'm pretty sure they were shocked to end the season on a major losing streak.

Stafford-McGhee is still 6' 7" and still can get blocks and rebounds, if she puts it together in year 3 of her career it won't be that bad of a trade. Even if her ceiling ends up being a Krystal Thomas kind of impact that is still something The Dream need. I can still understand why they rolled the dice with that move.

She had a good rookie season, the coach who gradually increased her minutes left, the star player left, Chicago got back a player who plays the same position (I thought they could play together but I was wrong) who had a career season and Imani never really got it going.

Next season she will have a great opportunity for redemption, and her less than consistent offense will not be an issue playing with Angel, Hayes Williams, and Sykes. I'm not predicting all-star level play, but Contributing on an OK to good team is still within her potential.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/11/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
UK1996 wrote:

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 11/06/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Get to Know Head Coach Nicki Collen

http://dream.wnba.com/news/get-know-head-coach-nicki-collen/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 11/14/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream name Sienko GM. Guess he won't be swindling us out of players like Thomas and Bentley any more. Smile

From the email I got:

Atlanta Dream Name Chris Sienko GM

Dear Dream Elite,

We are excited to share the hiring of our new General Manager Chris Sienko with you. A veteran of the WNBA, Sienko served as the Vice President and General Manager of the Connecticut Sun for 14 seasons.

“We are thrilled to welcome Chris to our team,” Dream President Theresa Wenzel said. “He brings a wealth of WNBA knowledge to our franchise. Chris will be another instrumental piece to us moving the Dream forward and helping Nicki (Collen) build a successful team on and off the court.”

During his time with the Sun, Sienko helped orchestrate 25 trades, while helping the franchise to the postseason eight times, reaching the Eastern Conference Finals five times and the WNBA Finals two times.

With the hiring of Sienko and Head Coach Nicki Collen, we could not be more excited for the 2018 season and our pursuit to bring a WNBA Championship to Atlanta.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/17/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terrible hire. Sienko was terrible in CT. Terrible. Hopefully Collen has a lot of say in building the roster. At least he isn’t in CT anymore to make his terrible decisions.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/17/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He was obviously there a long time, so there's a long history to judge him by, but in recent times Sienko basically won GM of the Year. Virtually every move and pick that won the award for Curt Miller was made while Sienko was the Sun GM.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is also kind of hard to know what decisions were forced on him (such as firing Thibault, hiring Donovan and drafting UConn players), and which ones he made himself. Maybe none maybe all. Plus he was working in a place a lot of players didn't want to spend their summers (or any other time for that matter). He managed to turn departing players like Charles and Lawson into useful assets as compared to say Pokey, who in a similar situation turned Fowles and her second round pick into an ageing Erika. So, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he does something really stupid like trading Sykes for Cappie, Zealous or whatever other past their prime players fans of their teams are hoping to unload.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meet Nicki Collen, the new head coach of the Atlanta Dream

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/news-culture-articles/meet-nicki-collen-new-head-coach-atlanta-dream/

Quote:
One of the first actions she took in her new role was reach out to the Dream players for feedback (over the phone, as much of the team plays overseas during the winter offseason) about how they felt they could improve and become playoff contenders in 2018. Many told her they felt the team underachieved in 2017, and that they were better than their record indicated. Collen says the team relied too heavily on the athleticism of individual players, highlighting the difficulties the Dream faced with moving the ball on offense and generating offense in transition.

She's already off on the right foot. Getting feedback from the players instead of acting too superior to need such feedback.

Quote:
As Collen seeks to rebuild a winning culture in Atlanta, she says her primary job will be to get the players to buy in to her system. Having coached both collegiate and professional basketball, Collen knows that going through countless strategies from different coaches throughout their careers can cause players to become jaded to new techniques. She wants to make sure her players understand why each step of their new system is being put into place. That unity, she says, will put the team in the best position to win in 2018.

If she she can get McCoughtry to buy into a new system, she can move mountains.

Quote:
She warns that success may not be immediate. “I want our fans to know we’re going to play hard,” she says. “We’re not always going to make the shots, we’re not always going to look our best, but the effort will always be there.” Still, she’s confident that victory is within reach. “It’s certainly my job to bring [a championship] here.”

pilight

PostPosted: 12/06/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Day Jobs: Angel McCoughtry

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/day-jobs/episodes/meet-the-olympic-champion-who-doubles-as-a-sweet-toothed-businesswoman/

PostPosted: 12/10/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki Collen was introduced during the Hawks game last night. Wish there would be a little more support from the Hawks to help boost the Dream. Though the Hawks are currently at the bottom in terms of attendance in the NBA.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 12/10/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Day Jobs: Angel McCoughtry

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/day-jobs/episodes/meet-the-olympic-champion-who-doubles-as-a-sweet-toothed-businesswoman/

Angel has gotten more publicity as a Ice Cream store owner than as an All WNBA player and Olympian.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/10/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Nikki Collen was introduced during the Hawks game last night. Wish there would be a little more support from the Hawks to help boost the Dream. Though the Hawks are currently at the bottom in terms of attendance in the NBA.

Hawks have always seemed indifferent to the Dream. Hawks players often attend games but they Hawks organization doesn't do much with Dream. Was her intro by the PA announcer during the game or did the Hawks broadcast team interview her?

toad455

PostPosted: 12/10/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Hawks have always seemed indifferent to the Dream. Hawks players often attend games but they Hawks organization doesn't do much with Dream. Was her intro by the PA announcer during the game or did the Hawks broadcast team interview her?

It was the Hawks' broadcast team.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/10/17 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/_/status/939861620595060737

Randy

PostPosted: 12/10/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. The broadcasters not the Hawks. The same outfit does the Dream games. Same announcer but different analysts and reporters though.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/13/17 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Need to get some Dream discussion going. Video interview with our new coach. 4 parts, each about 2 minutes. Says she expects Angel back, thinks Angel and Holmes could both play the 4. Says Sykes won't be taking 25 shots a game (which she never did last season anyway.) I sure hope this doesn't foreshadow anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmV-QGJrTAI&t=28s

Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I sure hope this doesn't foreshadow anything.

What do you mean by that?

Randy

PostPosted: 12/13/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I continue to be haunted by the Bentley for Ajavon debacle. Just saying doesn't sound like her impression of Sykes is all that favorable.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I continue to be haunted by the Bentley for Ajavon debacle. Just saying doesn't sound like her impression of Sykes is all that favorable.

I don't take that as a dig towards Sykes. She just wants to emphasize team ball. McCoughtry won't be taking 25 shots either.

Speaking of McCoughtry, did you notice she almost resembled a PG at times in that Vadeeva video I posted?

Randy

PostPosted: 12/13/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed that. She is sort of the point forward for her team, at least in that small sample. What I have seen of her numbers she is not having a big year, but her team has so much talent she doesn't need to be carrying the scoring or rebounding load like she has the Dream.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I noticed that. She is sort of the point forward for her team, at least in that small sample. What I have seen of her numbers she is not having a big year, but her team has so much talent she doesn't need to be carrying the scoring or rebounding load like she has the Dream.

Ah ha! Same goes the Dream. They have a lot of talent, so no one player needs to be taking 25 shots. So however McCoughtry is playing now is the way she should continue to play for the Dream, and I bet that would suit Collen just fine. Sykes is not some kind of inherent ball hog. She did what they felt was needed last year. She's capable of adjusting to what the coach wants. She might not even start.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream Add Mike Petersen as Assistant Coach

http://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-add-mike-petersen-assistant-coach/

Quote:
Most recently, he served as an advanced scout for the New Orleans Pelicans of the NBA.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Dream Add Mike Petersen as Assistant Coach

http://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-add-mike-petersen-assistant-coach/

Quote:
Most recently, he served as an advanced scout for the New Orleans Pelicans of the NBA.

Quote:
“I am thrilled to welcome Mike and his wife Patty to the Atlanta Dream,” Collen said. “In searching for the right balance on my staff, I was looking for someone with a head coaching background. From our very first conversation I knew Mike’s combination of passion, experience, and engaging personality were the right fit for me and our organization.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: