RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

hey, shyguy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 04/24/05 6:04 pm    ::: hey, shyguy Reply Reply with quote

that latest "enterprise" episode was pretty gnarly, huh? i bet the whole crew got stoked doing everything in reverse, right down to the new opening theme. if the others had been that clever, we wouldn't be going through withdrawal right now.

PostPosted: 04/24/05 8:35 pm    ::: Re: hey, shyguy Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
that latest "enterprise" episode was pretty gnarly, huh? i bet the whole crew got stoked doing everything in reverse, right down to the new opening theme. if the others had been that clever, we wouldn't be going through withdrawal right now.

Quite frankly, I think this was Enterprise's last season, even if the show had been a ratings winner to begin with. Every series of Star Trek was ok through their first three years, but it took the fourth season of every series to be a breakout year for each show. That holds true for Enterprise as well. But since UPN got new leadership a couple of years ago, I suspect the new powers weren't really interested in the Star Trek franchise to begin with. (I think this is WWE's last season on UPN also...)

The new powers of UPN want to target a new demographic, namely women between the ages of 18 and 34 as they seem to have the new disposable income. And their programming shows by it. Missy Elliot, Tyra Banks, Kevin Hill, Veronica Mars. Be on the lookout for more dramas with 20something casts on UPN.

There are rumors on the Star Trek website that Manny Coto is pitching a new series to Paramount, but I suspect if a new series gets made, you won't see it on UPN, more like syndication as with most of the other series and Gene Roddenberry's other properties (Andromeda).

Most people did like the last episode (In a Mirror Darkly), and they talk as if they'd like a series set in the mirror universe, set on one of the Constitution Class starships. (For those who don't know the Constitution Class, that's the type of ship (Enterprise) Kirk commanded in the 1960's series.) But I doubt that series would fly. It'd be the same old story week after week. How does the captain survive death every day at the hands of his crew?

sambista

PostPosted: 04/24/05 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whoa, you're scarin' me, shy! you know WAY too much about this stuff! it's all good. i never was a trivia buff, but my buds and i always set aside trek time. i've got a butterick pattern (remember those?) for a uniform - always swore i'd put it together with my other little trinkets for halloween. i'll probably hold onto it forever. anyway, you would think that, now that we're facing issues of engineered genetics, new global dynamics and whatnot head on, this would be a perfect time to spin a new brand of trek. hmph!

PostPosted: 04/24/05 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem is that we've already reached a point which is NOT what Roddenberry's timeline said we'd be at. To work in our advances, our culture, our society, would make it inaccurate, but the show's writers can't really avoid that.

Having said that, I find the mirror universe fascinating, always have. But a show on it would only appeal to the Trekkiest of Trekkies, and even not for long. The only way it might work for long periods would be if they could parallel some of the episodes from the various series, show how mirror people dealt as opposed to normal people.

PostPosted: 04/24/05 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
whoa, you're scarin' me, shy! you know WAY too much about this stuff! it's all good. i never was a trivia buff, but my buds and i always set aside trek time. i've got a butterick pattern (remember those?) for a uniform - always swore i'd put it together with my other little trinkets for halloween. i'll probably hold onto it forever. anyway, you would think that, now that we're facing issues of engineered genetics, new global dynamics and whatnot head on, this would be a perfect time to spin a new brand of trek. hmph!

Well, I did try to write some episodes for Next Gen. One I sent in but it got rejected, the other was about Wesley Crusher. On the same day I got a letter from an agency saying they'd represent my Crusher script to Paramount, my mother got her latest edition of TV Guide. I sat down to read it. Guess what one of the headlines was? Yep, you guessed it. "Will Wheaton to Leave Star Trek." THE VERY SAME FREAKING DAY!!! Great timing, huh?

Speaking of genetics, here's a story we can adapt for Star Trek. It's based on the story I heard this morning. The one about the black woman (among thousands of others) who was sterilized by the state of NC because they deemed her too feeble-minded to have anymore children. She has one son, but a sad story for such a pretty lady.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/25/05 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's so outrageous i havve a hard time discussing it. more amazing that this program was the third largest in the country, behind virginia and california. but from a trek point of view - even tho things don't quite jibe, as queenie says - it has been and could continue to be a valuable instrument for that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: