RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If The Liberty Moved To Barclay's.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

If The Liberty Moved to Barclay Center Would You Go There?
Yes and buy Season Tickets.
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Yes but game by game.
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
No. Too Far to travel.
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
No MSG or Nothing.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/16/17 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
NVMC is not a viable option.

A comment like this focuses only on the current team fans who live in the Big Apple with no cars. If I'm a new owner candidate I'm not thinking just about this group, and maybe not thinking of them at all. I'm thinking about my total franchise costs and how much revenue I can make at a new location.

Nassau County has 1.3 million residents. Suffolk County has another 1.5 million. They all have at least one car. Lots of residents of eastern Queens aren't that far from the Nassau Coliseum and a lot do have cars. All of that is more than enough population to get a WNBA average of 7.7K real and fake seats filled per game.
libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 11/16/17 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been a season ticket holder for the Libs for 18 years. I went to jersey the three years. Honestly if they were to move to jersey I wouldn’t renew and attend maybe a few weekend games. The commute from my job is just to much and I couldn’t do it again. It went bus-metro north-shuttle-1 train- New Jersey transit. If we moved to Barclays I wouldn’t renew and only go on weekends. It would be to far from where I work for me MSG is a perfect location to drive to and get home from.

Only time will tell what happens.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSG and Barclay's are 5 miles apart.

This doesn't seem like a huge deal

Although, as I said, I'd be shocked if the team could afford Barclays or MSG unless it's owned by the same entity that owns the arena.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/17/17 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

A comment like this focuses only on the current team fans who live in the Big Apple with no cars. If I'm a new owner candidate I'm not thinking just about this group, and maybe not thinking of them at all. I'm thinking about my total franchise costs and how much revenue I can make at a new location.

Nassau County has 1.3 million residents. Suffolk County has another 1.5 million. They all have at least one car. Lots of residents of eastern Queens aren't that far from the Nassau Coliseum and a lot do have cars. All of that is more than enough population to get a WNBA average of 7.7K real and fake seats filled per game.

I agree with NYL_WNBA_FAN. Yes, there are lots of people living in Nassau County, Suffolk County, and eastern Queens. That doesn't mean that they'll go see the New York Liberty or a renamed team out there.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

What a coincidence - Capital One Arena and the Mystics new mini arena are also just 5 miles apart Wink

PostPosted: 11/17/17 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

5 miles as the crow flies. Not many crows going to basketball games. Razz

Obviously, not everyone has to go through Penn Station first. But strictly speaking about the trip from MSG to Barclay, I'd estimate another 35-40 minutes by subway. If you're transferring from another mode of transportation, add in miscellaneous time for walking from another station/platform, buying tickets, and waiting for the next train. It could all add up to an extra hour.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes Barlcaly center is a longer commute than MSG if you live uptown, NJ, the Bronx, or Westchester but it is the same if not shorter commute if you live in Brooklyn, most of Queens, Long Island, and downtown manhattan.

And much more convenient for the current Liberty fan base than any other arena or stadium including the Pru and Nassau.

Now maybe if there is a college stadium at Columbia, NYU or Fordam that might be more convenient for the current fan base or if Javits center could be converted to a basketball stadium but Barclay's would be the 2nd best thing to MSG, and who knows maybe someone related to Barclay's is involved in the new possible ownership. Sticking with wishful thinking until more information comes out.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

5 miles as the crow flies. Not many crows going to basketball games. Razz

Obviously, not everyone has to go through Penn Station first. But strictly speaking about the trip from MSG to Barclay, I'd estimate another 35-40 minutes by subway. If you're transferring from another mode of transportation, add in miscellaneous time for walking from another station/platform, buying tickets, and waiting for the next train. It could all add up to an extra hour.

No, five miles by surface street. Less as the crow flies.

thardy929

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is almost literally in my backyard. I'd strongly consider season tickets, and I usually only make 2-3 games/year at MSG.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/17/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yes Barclay center is a longer commute than MSG if you live uptown, NJ, the Bronx, or Westchester but it is the same if not shorter commute if you live in Brooklyn, most of Queens, Long Island, and downtown manhattan.

And much more convenient for the current Liberty fan base than any other arena or stadium including the Pru and Nassau.

Yes to all this. (And I'm in the "longer commute" group. But I'm hoping for Barclay Center if the team won't be staying at MSG.)

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yes Barlcaly center is a longer commute than MSG if you live uptown, NJ, the Bronx, or Westchester but it is the same if not shorter commute if you live in Brooklyn, most of Queens, Long Island, and downtown manhattan.

Now maybe if there is a college stadium at Columbia, NYU or Fordam that might be more convenient for the current fan base or if Javits center could be converted to a basketball stadium but Barclay's would be the 2nd best thing to MSG, and who knows maybe someone related to Barclay's is involved in the new possible ownership. Sticking with wishful thinking until more information comes out.

Fordham? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I love Rose Hill, but it is older than dirt. Actually, there may be a large quantity of dirt that is younger than Rose Hill. (What that shot doesn't show you is how you enter... which crosses the exits from the locker room.)

Columbia has a nice facility... for a low mid-major. I'm fond of Levien, and I can deal with one preseason game a year there, but I don't know how sustainable it is as a permanent home.

I am, of course, biased towards Carnesecca Arena at St. John's. Hofstra's facility isn't bad, either (though I guarantee at least 60% of first-time visitors will get lost looking for the concession stands and restroom) (and this angle doesn't show the small group of luxury boxes!), but if you're going that far out, you might as well go across the street to Nassau Coliseum or whatever they're calling its replacement these days.

I would not even entertain the thought of any of the other college facilities within the city limits, unless someone in D-II or D-III has a disproportionately awesome facility for their division. (No, Mr. McGrady. Wagner's gym is not that great, and I'm not climbing Grymes Hill on the weekend again.)

None of these links are my pictures, but I speak from experience on all of these locations.

Barclay's would be the ideal non-MSG scenario for most NYC residents, I think. I know I'd have to do a little backtracking or take LIRR to get there, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

(now with spelling variations)
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question about Barclay's is the same about MSG: If whoever runs MSG can generate more income with 17 non-WNBA dates than with 17 WNBA dates, then the WNBA will get the boot.

I have no idea of Barclay's is booked as often as MSG, but if so, it would presumably be no cheaper for a new WNBA team.

But if MSG gets all the bookings, and Barclay's trails significantly, then the WNBA might be able to cut a better deal.

If Barclay's is in use as often as MSG, then the WNBA team will have to find a different site.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen many Columbia women's basketball games at Levien Gym. As Queenie has said, it's fine for a low- to mid-major. Or for one Liberty exhibition game per year. That's it.

I don't know the seating capacity, but it is surely far less than a WNBA team would want game after game. Even apart from financial and practical considerations, having Levien Gym as the Liberty's permanent home court after Madison Square Garden would convey that the WNBA is a precarious fringe league.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The question about Barclay's is the same about MSG: If whoever runs MSG can generate more income with 17 non-WNBA dates than with 17 WNBA dates, then the WNBA will get the boot.

I have no idea of Barclay's is booked as often as MSG, but if so, it would presumably be no cheaper for a new WNBA team.

But if MSG gets all the bookings, and Barclay's trails significantly, then the WNBA might be able to cut a better deal.

If Barclay's is in use as often as MSG, then the WNBA team will have to find a different site.

All this seems right, though perhaps the cost of booking the Barclay Center may be somewhat less than MSG. I don't know.

Does anyone actually know how solidly booked Madison Square Garden is during June, July, August, and September? And how solidly booked the Barclay Center is?

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe there are any college gyms in NYC's five boroughs that would be satisfactory for the WNBA.

Queenie covered some. Manhattan and Baruch are much too small. BTW, Queenie, I don't recall ever suggesting that Wagner's gym is "great", especially since I haven't been in it in 50 years. I may have said the view is great. Also, BTW, we Staten Islanders don't have much sympathy for the wimpy commuting attitude I see from some other boroughers here. We Islanders were always happy to go to MSG (on 49th St.) by bus, then ferry boat, then subway, then walking.

When I went to Columbia it was before Levien was built -- the old University Gymnasium, which conveniently had a maximum capacity of 1754, which not-so-coincidentally was the founding year of Columbia. There's no parking at Columbia.

Perhaps Radio City Music Hall would be apt, given that the WNBA has experience there. Or Rucker Park, which can pull a good crowd in the summer and has lots of creative vendor action.
auntie

PostPosted: 11/17/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
ClayK wrote:

All this seems right, though perhaps the cost of booking the Barclay Center may be somewhat less than MSG. I don't know.

Does anyone actually know how solidly booked Madison Square Garden is during June, July, August, and September? And how solidly booked the Barclay Center is?

Barclays is not as booked in the summer as the rest of the year and the Islanders may be moving back to Nassau. Weekend WNBA games could be played in the afternoon with enough time for many events in the afternoon.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find this whole discussion so funny. I used to live in New York City (Forest Hills, Queens). Living in NYC, I didn't own a car so for me going to MSG was quite easy but when on a few occasions I had to go out to the Nassau Coliseum or to Iona College it was a royal pain. Anywhere else distance and parking would determine how easy it is to get somewhere. In New York the distance doesn't matter, it is the public transportation. I suspect that now less than 500 people drive to MSG to see the Liberty.

If the Liberty move to the Coliseum they could hold onto their fans in Nassau and those in Queens who own a car. They could also pick up more who live on the Island and there would also be some who live just across the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge. But if you live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx or New Jersey this becomes a difficult trek to make 17 times.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/17/17 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

The problem with your thinking is twofold. First, Newark is like an hour by car from most parts of NYC if not less. In spite of that, barely anyone attended. Even in 2011 when they were good. People aren’t going to be anymore inclined to make a trip to LI.

Secondly, NYC is more of a basketball hotbed than LI. Believe it when I tell you that LI is not going to care all that much about the Liberty. A good night for attendance at NVMC for the Libs would be 4,000 because it almost completely eliminates public transportation from everywhere in the city that’s not close to Penn Station.

So forget the discussion. The chance of it happening is less than zero.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

The problem with your thinking is twofold. First, Newark is like an hour by car from most parts of NYC if not less. In spite of that, barely anyone attended. Even in 2011 when they were good. People aren’t going to be anymore inclined to make a trip to LI.

Secondly, NYC is more of a basketball hotbed than LI. Believe it when I tell you that LI is not going to care all that much about the Liberty. A good night for attendance at NVMC for the Libs would be 4,000 because it almost completely eliminates public transportation from everywhere in the city that’s not close to Penn Station.

So forget the discussion. The chance of it happening is less than zero.

That's probably true. But it's probably equally unrealistic to think a WNBA team is an economically viable tenant for MSG or Barclay's unless they have common ownership. So do you have a better solution?

So nobody will make the trek to Nassau. I doubt many will pay a $100/ticket for MSG either.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/17/17 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In June, July and August this year, the Barclays Center appears to have been in use for a total of 31 days (out of 92). So they might not be averse to filling 17+ dates at a reasonable price during the summer. It might not be that cheap, but probably better to rent it for something for WNBA basketball than just have the place dark.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have known many Liberty fans over the last 20-odd years. I talk to people. I travel with people.

I have known exactly 1 from Long Island. And she's far enough out that when the exile to Jersey happened, it made more sense for her to switch to Sun season tickets and take the ferry from Port Jefferson.

I'm sure there are Liberty fans who would make the hike. I'd be willing to, though it would be a hike and a half. I... do not think they'd be able to draw enough from Long Island to make up the numbers.

(now with spelling variations)
libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Although, as I said, I'd be shocked if the team could afford Barclays or MSG unless it's owned by the same entity that owns the arena.

I can only speak for myself and i do not want to add onto a already crazy drive into the city. Honestly speaking to other season ticket holders there isnt going to be a place that is going to make everyone happy, only MSG will do that.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
In June, July and August this year, the Barclays Center appears to have been in use for a total of 31 days (out of 92). So they might not be averse to filling 17+ dates at a reasonable price during the summer. It might not be that cheap, but probably better to rent it for something for WNBA basketball than just have the place dark.

Thanks for this valuable information. I wondered earlier in this discussion how busy Madison Square Garden and the Barclay Center are in the months of the WNBA season. If you were responding to my question, I'm very grateful.

I was skeptical that these places are so busy during the summer that they couldn't fit in WNBA games or would demand huge rental fees. Any chance that you could check on how busy MSG was in that same time period last summer? It would be great to have that information as well. Many thanks in advance if you can find out.

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Not necessarily. There's been a lot written about Barclays barely breaking even or even being in the red despite high occupancy because of very high operating costs. It is not necessarily financially advantageous to have lightly attended events and a less than half full arena. It may be preferable to be closed on those dates.

Plus it ties it up from booking events that might not be arranged until later, and at least some of those 31 days are for events that require one or two days of advance access and are blocked for two or three days. It's not as simple as portrayed.

There are reasons the number of WNBA teams playing in NBA arenas is dropping, and It's not because of how it looks on TV.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/18/17 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I'm hoping for Barclays it does seem possible the operating costs would be too high and therefor make it to expensive to rent. Which is why I'm hoping that maybe there will be some connection between the ownership group and Barclay that makes it more viable.

I also don't think it is out of the question that when the MSG ownership group sells the Liberty that there still might some connection between The new Liberty ownership and MSG that could lead to staying in MSG but paying some rent, but maybe a smaller amount than other events would pay, but separating from the MSG parent company, while still maintaining some less formal ties. Maybe some games still be at MSG and others somewhere else. That sound crazy I realize but it doesn't seem completely implausible.

It really depends on if/when there are new owners and who they are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: