RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Need Suggestions for Anti-virus etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/03/10 10:17 pm    ::: Need Suggestions for Anti-virus etc. Reply Reply with quote

I just got a new computer and need to protect it.

I was just wondering what everybody is using and whether you like it or not.

I know that there are other threads here that tout various anti-virus programs and those for malware, etc., bu I was afraid that the info may be outdated.

I appreciate any suggestions.

jaye

PostPosted: 09/03/10 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i repair computers and every computer i fix i put avast free version... malwarebytes and superantispyware... i've been using that combination for years and have had no problems.... superantispyware guards against rouge spyware... which is an absolute pain in the ass... and hard as hell to get rid of....

it's the programs that pretend to be anti-virus programs and tell you that your machine has umpteen hundred viruses and that if you purchase their product it will clean them...

PostPosted: 09/03/10 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
i repair computers and every computer i fix i put avast free version... malwarebytes and superantispyware... i've been using that combination for years and have had no problems.... superantispyware guards against rouge spyware... which is an absolute pain in the ass... and hard as hell to get rid of....

it's the programs that pretend to be anti-virus programs and tell you that your machine has umpteen hundred viruses and that if you purchase their product it will clean them...

Thanks! I have never heard of avast before.

You mentioned the 'pretenders.' Can you tell me/us what those are or how to spot the?

Are there any of the better known that are to be avoided? I'm thinking specifically Norton and McAfee because those are the two that I've heard most.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/04/10 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Panda Internet Security has worked extremely well for me for several years now.

PostPosted: 09/04/10 7:50 am    ::: Re: Need Suggestions for Anti-virus etc. Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I just got a new computer and need to protect it.

I was just wondering what everybody is using and whether you like it or not.

I know that there are other threads here that tout various anti-virus programs and those for malware, etc., bu I was afraid that the info may be outdated.

I appreciate any suggestions.

I recently had to pretty much wipe clean and start over with my computer. And I am far from a techy but people here helped alot.

First thing I did was switch to Firefox instead of internet explorer ....so much better! For protection I use PCtools Spyware Dr. and have it sent to intelliscan me everyday so those pesky, but not totally threatening, tracking things are wiped off so there is no drag in my surfing experience Laughing

PostPosted: 09/04/10 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jaye wrote:

Thanks! I have never heard of avast before.

You mentioned the 'pretenders.' Can you tell me/us what those are or how to spot the?

Are there any of the better known that are to be avoided? I'm thinking specifically Norton and McAfee because those are the two that I've heard most.

i take norton and mcafee off of computers as soon as the trial subscription runs out... they are extremely intrusive and use a ton of resources....

rouge spyware are malware programs that pretend to be legitimate virus programs.... they will infect your computer and start to create popups that tell you that your computer has been infected with any number of viruses.... as time goes on the popups will increase to the point that it's almost imposible to use your computer... their intent is to force you into buying a subscription for the phony program and then it will supposedly clean the viruses which actually don't exist....

do a google on "rouge spyware"... it will give you a list....

Last edited by jaye on 09/04/10 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
jaye

PostPosted: 09/04/10 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bump

PostPosted: 09/04/10 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

I recommend you use the term "rogue spyware", unless you're impossibly chic.

I use Norton and have no problems with it. The free things can work OK, but generally you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: 09/04/10 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been using anti-spyware on personal computers since, well, there were personal computers Laughing I am also an IT Director for one of the major defense contractors. That doesn't mean I know spyware, but I have a lot of people smarter than me that do.

All I can say is that we use McAfee corporate wide to protect our highly sensitive data. Our coompany is attacked constantly by sources MUCH more persistennt than pimply-faced kids at MIT.

I use McAfee (I also previously had some issues with Norton).

Last edited by TonyL222 on 09/04/10 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/04/10 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I use AVG- it's free. Right now, I'm using a Mac. (Yes, I know they're not completely safe, but Happycappie is the one who gets to decide about anti-virus.)

Norton is of the devil. KILL IT WITH FIRE. It has the annoying tendency to turn itself off without telling you, when it's not hogging half your system resources.

PostPosted: 09/04/10 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jaye wrote:

I recommend you use the term "rogue spyware", unless you're impossibly chic.

Laughing i was watching "true blood" while i was typing... y'know... the episode with laffayette and the male nurse... Laughing

PostPosted: 09/04/10 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
I've been using anti-spyware on personal computers since, well, there were personal computers Laughing I am also an IT Director for one of the major defense contractors. That doesn't mean I know spyware, but I have a lot of people smarter than me that do.

All I can say is that we use McAfee corporate wide to protect our highly sensitive data. Our coompany is attacked constantly by sources MUCH more persistennt than pimply-faced kids at MIT.

I use McAfee (I also previously had some issues with Norton).

between mcafee and norton... i'd choose mcafee in a heartbeat... but both are resource hogs.... and are loaded with unnecessary functions simply for the sake of looks....and to give the impression that one gives more for your money than the other....

norton is indeed the devil....

PostPosted: 09/04/10 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if you have a scottrade account, you can download mcafee for free.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/16/17 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here we go again!!!!

I need to change my security. I've had Kaspersky for a few years, but, well.... Embarassed

Webroot or Trend Micro?

Thanks!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/16/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Norton isn't "intrusive" nor particularly resource intensive, especially in this day and age. (Those are basically 20 year outdated myths.)

I've used Norton for many years and have never had an infection in any of our six desktops or seven laptops. I use it on my phone and tablets too (although my wife uses Lookout on her mobile devices). Amazon regularly sells ten license packs for Norton Security Premium for $29 or $35 dollars that can be used on any combination of pcs and mobile devices.

I generally also use the free version of Malwarebytes and run it periodically (you don't get real time protection with the free version), and run Windows Defender, although in Windows 10 it's getting harder to use that with another security suite.

ESET Internet Security and Bitdefender Total Security are other good choices for complete protection suites. ESET is more often used in businesses than in homes, but the suite is just fine for home use (albeit a bit expensive).

I've never had anything but trouble with McAffee.

BTW, I don't know if the concerns about Kaspersky are real or just fallout from the Russia election meddling, but I probably wouldn't use it any more either. The reality is you're opening up your PC to your security software, so it does matter who made it. I'd stick with companies with a well established track record (although that would have included Kaspersky).

stever

PostPosted: 11/16/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give the free version of AVG a try:

https://www.avg.com/en-us/homepage

Been using it for 15+ years...Norton, McAfee, Webroot are way more than you probably need, plus you'll probably be paying them every 12 months, a lot of software companies have gone to a bullshit "subscription" model.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: