RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

South Carolina @ Maryland - 11/13/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
100%
 100%  [ 16 ]
Maryland
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/13/17 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of sloppy play in this game.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/13/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
When Maryland was in the ACC and playing UNC or Duke the contact that is sending Wilson to the line wouldn't have drawn a whistle.

Then UConn definitely doesn't want to go to the ACC, as they get whistles in their favor even when there's no contact.....

Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/13/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Cocks look better to me than ever. I realize the opponent sucks, but it seems like Dawn took some offense classes over the summer.

helps to have someone who can shoot threes.

Not sure what you mean. The Cocks have had 3-pt shooters equal to Spann the last 2 years at least.

maybe they still aren't very good. But they came out and hit three of them right away which deked me into thinking it had improved. Very Happy

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 11/13/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
linkster wrote:
When Maryland was in the ACC and playing UNC or Duke the contact that is sending Wilson to the line wouldn't have drawn a whistle.

Then UConn definitely doesn't want to go to the ACC, as they get whistles in their favor even when there's no contact.....

Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/13/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to the Cocks for this choke to make it interesting.

PostPosted: 11/13/17 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm happy. Terps giving USC a game!

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/13/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wilson getting the super, superstar calls now.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/13/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every Wilson flail gets a call in her favor wow.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else thing that and-1 was a bullshit continuation call?

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looked like SC -3.5 was a mortal lock.

Can't wait for GMac's analysis of SC's 4th period.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Giving up 50 second half points won't sit well with Dawn.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks win 94-86 to improve to 2-0 on the season. A'ja Wilson set a new career high in points for a game with 32 pts and pulled down 12 rebounds. Tyasha Harris also scored a USC career best 20 pts and dished out a career best 9 assists. Lindsey Spann added 15 pts and Alexis Jennings added 12 pts and 13 boards....

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Was laughable. But since I was giving the 3.5, I liked it.

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Depends on when the foul was called: Harris drove and did the "euro" step at the end, and hugged the ball to her abdomen as she did it. The MD player on her right slapped at the ball, but slapped Harris' forearm that was hugging the ball instead. That was when the ref blew the whistle - if that was what he/she was calling, then it was a foul, and the basket should have counted as the euro step was the follow-through to the basket....

ripleydc

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Brenda lost, but Dawn is feeling worse about tonight.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Was laughable. But since I was giving the 3.5, I liked it.

+1 Very Happy

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The logic of old Aristotle,
and even odd spins of the bottle,
suggest the Cocks ain't all that fine,
and that the Terps have lots more shine,
than predicted by RebKellian twattle.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/13/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
linkster wrote:

The thought was coming into the season, that with the losses of Gray, Davis, and Coates, that USC would have questions of where the offense would come from. It's way early, but from what I've seen thus far USC has just as much offense if not more than last season, and possibly from more sources. The defense is the bigger question, IMO: they let MD shoot themselves back into the game without putting up much perimeter defense to stop them...

Dawn Staley is a defensive coach. She will fix that soon enough.....

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 11/14/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
linkster wrote:

I was proud of the Terps. They were outmanned, as they will be much of the season, but not really outgunned at the end, especially with the refs giving the Cocks some help in the fourth quarter. Should be an interesting season especially when Eleanna joins them.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/14/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both teams are dumb defensively. Is it the coaches or the players not following the scout, I mean everyone and their dog knows Wilson is gonna go left! The games I have watched so far - the defense barring Uconn major players of course is way down. There will be shootouts all year if this doesn't improve.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Both teams are dumb defensively. Is it the coaches or the players not following the scout, I mean everyone and their dog knows Wilson is gonna go left! The games I have watched so far - the defense barring Uconn major players of course is way down. There will be shootouts all year if this doesn't improve.

Some would say these comments are "dumb".....Wilson has been "going left" for over 3 years now, and she's one of the top players in WCBB. Knowing is one thing, stopping is often another.....

Both teams have major overhauls in personnel, with the new players pretty inexperienced. And it was the 2nd game of the season. I don't know about Maryland, but I do know Staley and her staff will have the defense improved as the season goes along, because they are masters of that.

Basically it was a case of MD banging, beating, and fouling both Wilson and Jennings, especially in the 4th qtr. after USC jumped to their biggest lead of 19 pts. Wilson and Jennings were getting tired out: Herbert-Harrigan decided to be stupid with the taunting foul and was in foul trouble all game, and only played 13 minutes, and LaDazhia Williams didn't play at all.

So Wilson and Jennings were the only bigs for USC and pretty much were the only ones battling at both ends of the floor. If you look at the shooting for USC, the Gamecocks shot 4-15 in the 4th and took 19 of their 33 FTs in the 4th Qtr. alone, while 3 Terps players fouled out and a 4th nearly did.

That's really where the game changed. The defense was not great but will improve. HH and Williams will get more minutes as the season progresses, as should Grissett who is also capable of lending a hand in the inside battles for rebounds.

Ct's defense didn't keep Stanford from shooting 50% in the 2nd half and outscoring them on a neutral court: I can't tell if the 1st half was due to great defense on ct's part or just Stanford cold-starting offensively on a neutral court. They played much better in the 2nd half against those same ct players. They in fact almost shot as well against ct in the 2nd half as they did against Ohio State in the 1st half in their 1st game. That's interesting. Ohio State being such a great defensive team....

pilight

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Sheryl Swoopes won three MVP awards going left more often than your average NASCAR driver.

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Sheryl Swoopes won three MVP awards going left more often than your average NASCAR driver.

But you would think the game has progressed since then. Every time A'ja got the ball, I would shout 'she's going left' but somehow the Maryland defense never heard me through my tv. Very Happy Admittedly she's pretty damn good at going left and was getting all the calls, but still...I expect better from the scout.

- Amanda Gorman
dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/14/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very impressed and pleasantly surprised with Maryland's grit.

Good sign for later in the season, much like Stanford.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/14/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

But you would think the game has progressed since then. Every time A'ja got the ball, I would shout 'she's going left' but somehow the Maryland defense never heard me through my tv. Very Happy Admittedly she's pretty damn good at going left and was getting all the calls, but still...I expect better from the scout.

Yep, you would think, if thinking while sitting on a couch watching a basketball game on a TV is all you had to do. But if you actually had to play these athletes instead - like the other players have to do - I bet you'd still be thinking to yourself "she's going left!" as A'ja goes to her left over and over scoring 30 pts on you while you defended her.....

Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: