RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/14/17 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/333aqsNfIlI" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XZIaSKdCWxw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas has the No. 1 pick -- now what will Bill Laimbeer do with it?

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21404960/las-vegas-no-1-pick-wnba-draft-bill-laimbeer-do-it

Quote:
South Carolina's A'ja Wilson is the front-runner. The senior forward led the fourth-ranked Gamecocks over No. 15 Maryland 94-86 on Monday, totaling a career-high 32 points, plus 12 rebounds, four blocked shots and three assists.

Quote:
Their core in 2017 included their past five top draft picks: center Kayla Alexander (No. 8 in 2013), guard Kayla McBride (No. 3 in 2014), forward Dearica Hamby (No. 6 in 2015), guard Moriah Jefferson (No. 2 in 2016) and Plum (No. 1 in 2017).

It's cool that they've been able to hang unto their last 5 first picks. Makes for some continuity.

Quote:
The Stars have needed a more dynamic presence at forward for a while, and Wilson would fit that bill well. There also has been a lot of chatter about Russian post player Maria Vadeeva, a 19-year-old who has been playing professionally in her home country since she was 16. She's currently in her third season with Russian team Dynamo Kursk, with which her teammates include the Los Angeles Sparks' Nneka Ogwumike, the Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry and the New York Liberty's Epiphanny Prince.

Wait.... how can someone who claims to never read this board know so much about Vadeeva? Has someone been chirping to her on twitter?

Quote:
What do the Fever need? Scoring, for one thing. Indiana had the second-lowest scoring average in the league in 2017 at 75.1 PPG; only last-place San Antonio (74.4) was worse. Candice Dupree (15.0 PPG), who is 33, led the Fever.

So might Indiana lean toward a big-time scorer such as Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell? Maybe, although guard is less of a need for the Fever than getting a young post who has big offensive potential.

Perhaps the Fever go with Russia's Vadeeva, if she's not picked by the Stars. Indiana coach Pokey Chatman coached professionally for several years in Russia and knows the pluses and minuses of players from overseas.

Huh? Voepel is pimping Vadeeva as lottery pick if not the #1 pick? Has she gone off the deep end? Nobody even knows if she wants to play in the WNBA much less if she really is good enough. Maybe McCoughtry would know if she's good enough, but ATL doesn't have a first round pick.

Quote:
Chicago coach/GM Amber Stocks said Coates is doing well, has been back on the court and might be headed overseas sometime this winter to get some pro experience.

Stocks hopes she heads overseas.

Quote:
"I'm excited about our opportunity to add assets to our franchise," Stocks said. "I'm pleased with our depth at the guard positions. I'm eager to see how much depth that we can add at the small forward position."

Last edited by Shades on 11/14/17 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
maybe something like (I'm still not including Stevens or McGowan yet)

It's "McCowan", and from the looks of her first game this season, she might not be ready.... but there's over 30 games left to be played.

J-Spoon wrote:
1. LV Wilson
2. Indy Deshields
3. Chi Mitchell
4. Chi Williams
5. Sea Russell
6. Dallas Billings
7. Was Brown
8. PX Canada
9. Conn Nurse
10. NY Nared
11. LA Vadeeva
12. Minny Vivians

Pretty good, actually.
Pokey said she wanted size for the position. DeShields would fit that bill.
Brown wants to go #11, but Spooner don't care. Heartlessly put her at #7 instead. Smile
I'm wondering what Miller really needs? Any chance he could be the first to go to the international well? CON doesn't have a great history with foreign players.
Somehow you managed to shove every player I'd be interested in ahead of the #12 pick. If this became the actual scenario, I wonder if the Lynx might go to the international list? Vivians? Might be possible under this scenario.

J-Spoon wrote:

13. LV S. Thomas
14. Indy Mavunga
15. Conn Scaife
16. Atl Hines-Allen (Included in trade with Chicago for Boyette and Young I believe)
17. Sea Jensen
18. Dallas Atkins
19. Was Greenwell
20. PX Begos Faz Devalos
21. Conn Buss
22. NY McPhee
23. LA Thompson
24. Minn Flaherty or Wagner (because I'm sure Shades will already hate my Vivians pick in round 1)

You're really loading CON up at guard. You must have plans for Banham. I like the Buss pick. It shows you're paying attention.
I believe Begos Faz Devalos came off the bench in her first game, so you'll have to keep an eye on that situation.
I was thinking Wagner would be available to them in the third round. I don't think she's on anybody else's radar... mostly be a homer thing for the Lynx.

Last edited by Shades on 11/14/17 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is a pretty deep draft but

it is kind of thin in the post if there are not any early entries and you want someone 6'3" and over you've got

Wilson, Russell, Billings and Vadeeva and a pretty big drop to the next tier

that is why posts like Mavunga, Hines-Allen, and Jensen should go earlier than expected.

There are a lot of decent guards and 6 foot wings so it is hard to figure how early or late some go, and even teams with a decent amount of guards might over stock choosing best available rather than reaching for posts.

On the flip side if there are a number of decent international players teams with a number of picks will definitely look for some draft and stash option in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I could also see teams trading picks for future assets or combining picks and players for better veteran players. If the draft did go this way and Chicago ended up with Mitchell and G. WIlliams they would have Vandersloot, Quigley, Pondexter, K. Mitchell, Faulkner, Copper, G. Williams, Hooper, Epps, and A. Harris at the 1-3, even with a couple easy cuts at the end of that list that is a lot, pairing up a couple of those assets for a decent PF would be a good move.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/14/17 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD didn't go to Uconn so never improved defensively whereas KLS has and it has been noticed not only by Geno but also KLaw who stated she was really impressed with her defense this summer which for those who can't keep up she was referring to USA and we all know who she was playing against there so maybe all the comments which stink of because she is white are silly.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/14/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have to agree here. Was pissed we didn't get the third Samuelson, but I can see why she went East. She as other players at Uconn have improved tremendously. Any W coach is going to be happy with a Uconn player of that caliber especially offensively and defensively. Some may not like Auriemma but he damn well knows what he is doing and he knows what players to get.

Also, if you are watching these games Uconn are the only team right now who actually take pride and play defense. All these other teams and I am including Stanford who usually get it done at that end, are the pits when it comes to defense.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/14/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
maybe something like (I'm still not including Stevens or McGowan yet)

1. LV Wilson
2. Indy Deshields
3. Chi Mitchell
4. Chi Williams
5. Sea Russell
6. Dallas Billings
7. Was Brown
8. PX Canada
9. Conn Nurse
10. NY Nared
11. LA Vadeeva
12. Minny Vivians

2nd round really just for fun

13. LV S. Thomas
14. Indy Mavunga
15. Conn Scaife
16. Atl Hines-Allen (Included in trade with Chicago for Boyette and Young I believe)
17. Sea Jensen
18. Dallas Atkins
19. Was Greenwell
20. PX Begos Faz Devalos
21. Conn Buss
22. NY McPhee
23. LA Thompson
24. Minn Flahrety or Wagner (because I'm sure Shades will already hate my Vivians pick in round 1)

its McCOWAN Exclamation

But this is actually pretty good , ill Take billings & atkins any day.

PostPosted: 11/14/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Mitchell. Kelsey Mitchell. Kelsey Mitchell.

I am already preparing for the disappointment of the Fever picking Deshields instead.

UK1996

PostPosted: 11/14/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PUmatty"]Kelsey Mitchell. Kelsey Mitchell. Kelsey Mitchell.

I am already preparing for the disappointment of the Fever picking Deshields instead.[/quote]
Unless Deshields absolutely kills it overseas, the Fever should take Mitchell.

PostPosted: 11/14/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Kelly Krauskopf isn't anywhere close to that dumb.

You sure? DB is serviceable...maybe DB & 1st rounder for Diamond. Either way Kelly either gains dewanna or loses dupree ...you choose!

Is losing Dupree supposed to be a big enough loss to make that a serious proposition? If its between keeping Dupree and losing the 1st rounder it's no question. Bye Dupree.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/14/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

You sure? DB is serviceable...maybe DB & 1st rounder for Diamond. Either way Kelly either gains dewanna or loses dupree ...you choose!

Is losing Dupree supposed to be a big enough loss to make that a serious proposition? If its between keeping Dupree and losing the 1st rounder it's no question. Bye Dupree.

Lol hey whatever floats a losing teams boat. That decision could comeback to haunt you , Lose dupree and use Larkins & Achonwa downlow will be championship contending Laughing

PostPosted: 11/14/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Lol hey whatever floats a losing teams boat. That decision could comeback to haunt you , Lose dupree and use Larkins & Achonwa downlow will be championship contending Laughing

Their focus should be rebuilding. Why would you give away Mitchell/DeShields if Bonner already wants to come there? Does not make an ounce of sense. If you lose Dupree, then I’d rather a top pick that’ll be there long term.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Their focus should be rebuilding. Why would you give away Mitchell/DeShields if Bonner already wants to come there? Does not make an ounce of sense. If you lose Dupree, then I’d rather a top pick that’ll be there long term.

Who said bonner WANTS to come there? for all we know Dupree might WANT to comeback to PHX .....

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Who said bonner WANTS to come there? for all we know Dupree might WANT to comeback to PHX .....

No. Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would anyone take DeShields over Mitchell? Because she's taller and a better rebounder?

What did each accomplish in college? Mitchell will demolish the NCAA career three-point makes record and become the one of the top five, perhaps the very top, career scorer in NCAA history. And she's a good facilitator. What DeShields has primarily accomplished since high school are transfers, injuries, a poor outside shooting percentage, more TO's than assists, and a reputation for being a selfish and difficult to coach player.
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Sure Laughing Laughing They’ve already said they want to play together. Her sister and wife are already there. Why wouldn’t she? They could also go elsewhere. But good luck getting a lottery pick out of either. Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/14/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Why would anyone take DeShields over Mitchell? Because she's taller and a better rebounder?

I can't imagine why, but the pessimist in me assumes that the Fever will pick Diamond, perhaps just to screw with me.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Huh? Voepel is pimping Vadeeva as lottery pick if not the #1 pick? Has she gone off the deep end? Nobody even knows if she wants to play in the WNBA much less if she really is good enough. Maybe McCoughtry would know if she's good enough, but ATL doesn't have a first round pick.

Voepel never said that (the part about the #1 pick). You put words in her mouth.

Finding out if someone WANTS to play (and is eligible to play, depending on contract situation) who is eligible to be drafted is part of the evaluation process. Happens all the time in the men's game; why is this a difficult concept to grasp?

Why could Pokey Chatman not know? Is Angel the only person who would know how to scout Vadeeva?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

What did each accomplish in college? Mitchell will demolish the NCAA career three-point makes record and become the one of the top five, perhaps the very top, career scorer in NCAA history. And she's a good facilitator. What DeShields has primarily accomplished since high school are transfers, injuries, a poor outside shooting percentage, more TO's than assists, and a reputation for being a selfish and difficult to coach player.

If we can state Gabby needs to be picked high because of her future potential then diamond would need to be ahead of both. I dont see kelsey mitchell getting much better than where she is now , of course she holds those records because she shoots more than anyone in the country Shocked . 5 to 10 years from now i hope we can comeback and revisit the Diamond Nay-Sayers !

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Sure Laughing Laughing They’ve already said they want to play together. Her sister and wife are already there. Why wouldn’t she? They could also go elsewhere. But good luck getting a lottery pick out of either. Laughing

Right playing together does not require that happen in Indiana . Indiana may have the #2 pick , but i dont think there in a position to be letting players walk away Laughing

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I can't imagine why, but the pessimist in me assumes that the Fever will pick Diamond, perhaps just to screw with me.

Dont forget shes a better defender also .....

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the Fever really aren't in position to do is give up a young player who should be a cornerstone for the next decade in return for a non-star 30-year old who just gave birth to twins.

PostPosted: 11/14/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fever should take whoever they want between Mitchell and Deshields and wait until 19 to find their future post. Indy will still be a likely lottery team and in 19 you get a choice of K. Brown, Anigwe, McCowan, A. Stevens and B. Turner. (Even if a couple declare there are still enough really good big post in 19 to wait for).

If Indy wants Bonner the trade IMO is 2nd round pick #14 and a player who probably isn't part of the future (Coleman, January, Larkins, Peters maybe S. Johnson if PX plays hardball). PX will still get someone decent at #14 this year (S. Thomas, Atkins, Vivians, Scaife) so losing a player who just gave birth and wasn't there last season for a decent 2nd round pick and a role player really isn't a bad deal.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/18/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agler and Thibault at the Baylor vs UCLA game today.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/21/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Inside The W with Michelle Smith: Eyes on April’s WNBA Draft

http://www.wnba.com/news/inside-the-w-michelle-smith-wnba-draft-112117/

Quote:
1. A’ja Wilson, South Carolina. The preseason player of the year favorite, Wilson has a national title under her belt after winning the NCAA Championship with South Carolina last spring and being named the Final Four MVP.

Wilson’s numbers as a junior were not eye-popping with a roster full of future first-round WNBA draft picks around her, but during the NCAA run, Wilson provide plenty capable of totally dominating a game all on her own. So far, in the early part of the 2017-18 season, Wilson has opened with four straight double-doubles for the defending champions. Her length and athleticism makes her a difficult matchup on both ends of the floor. Also, the prospect of a 6-5 post player with her skillset will make her a coveted draft option for WNBA teams.

2. Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State. Mitchell, the high-scoring Ohio State guard, looks to be making a run at the NCAA scoring record broken just last season by 2017 No. 1 overall pick Kelsey Plum. In addition, the Ohio State guard has a chance to lead her Buckeyes team to a Final Four in Columbus next spring.

Over the first five games of the season, Mitchell is averaging 26.2 points a game, which ranks her in the top five nationally in scoring. Mitchell currently has 392 career 3-pointers, needing six to break the NCAA career mark very early in the collegiate season. Mitchell is a proven scorer, and her ability to create her own shot in the backcourt is going to make her a valuable WNBA pick.

3. Gabby Williams, Connecticut. Williams had a breakout junior season for the powerhouse Huskies and has positioned herself as perhaps the best all-around player in women’s college basketball this season. The Nevada native, who is 5-foot-11, played in the post for the Huskies for much of last season, more than holding her own against bigger opponents.

Williams averaged 14.3 points, 8.4 rebounds and 5.1 assists in 2017-18, starting all 37 games. She was second on the team in rebounding and became the first post player in program history to lead the team in assists (190). She also led the Huskies with 100 steals. Williams’ versatility puts her in the upper ranks of those viewed as potential No. 1 picks.

4. Jordin Canada, UCLA. The Bruins senior is the one of the top point guards in the country, a floor leader with great court vision and the ability to score in the big moments. Canada is a four-year starter at UCLA, an experienced player who is not only among the nation’s assist leaders, but one of the quickest guards in the country, most comfortable pushing the ball in transition.

Canada is coming off one of the best games of her career, a 20-point, 13-assist effort against No. 3 Baylor last week (the program’s first win over a top-3 team since 2008), extending the Bruins’ home winning streak to 32 games. Canada leads UCLA in scoring at 17.3 points a game and 8.0 assists.

5. Diamond DeShields, Tennessee. DeShields took a pass on her last year of college eligibility to begin her professional basketball career overseas in Turkey and will return to the U.S. for her first WNBA season as a potentially dynamic swing player. The 6-foot-1 guard/forward, who began her college career at North Carolina before transferring to the Lady Vols, led Tennessee in scoring last season, averaging 17.4 points a game and to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. DeShields has great ball-handling skills, is a deft slasher to the basket and a strong defender, a versatile package that will appeal greatly to WNBA teams.

6. Monique Billings, UCLA. Long and athletic in the mold of the Ogwumike sisters, Billings has become of of the nation’s most versatile post players. She is averaging 17.3 points a game so far this season to go with 7.7 rebounds. Billings runs the break, scores inside and is a consistent scorer, scoring in double figures in 32 of 34 games for UCLA last season.

7. Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State. Vivians is the star player of last season’s Cinderella team, Mississippi State, the team that upset Connecticut in dramatic fashion in the NCAA Final Four. Vivians, a 6-foot-1 guard, is averaging 18.7 points a game in the early part of her senior season. Vivians has already proven to be a clutch player, scoring 24 points in an overtime win over Baylor in the regional final and a team-leading 19 points in the victory over Connecticut.

8. Mercedes Russell, Tennessee. Russell, an Oregon native, is playing in her fifth and final season for the Lady Vols. Russell, a 6-foot-6 center, helped to lead USA Basketball to a gold medal in the Four Nations Tournament in Tokyo during the summer, finishing as the team’s leading rebounder. Russell decided to return to Knoxville to play one more season before entering the WNBA Draft, meaning that WNBA teams will get a mature player ready for the spotlight. Russell averaged 16.1 points and 9.7 rebounds last season, the fourth-highest single-season rebounding average in Tennessee program history.

9. Kia Nurse, Connecticut. Nurse, a 6-foot guard, has the pedigree of a pro. Her father played in the Canadian Football League. Her mother played college basketball in Canada, her brother plays professional hockey in the NFL. The Huskies senior averaged 12.7 points last season on a talent-laden roster, and hit 46.2 percent of her 3-point attempts. Nurse is an effort-player, a hard-worker and team leader who has valuable international experience as a member of the 2016 Canadian Olympic team.

10. Stephanie Mavunga, Ohio State. Mavunga, a 6-foot-3 forward, is a player whose WNBA stock could rise over the course of the season. Mavunga is a force in the paint, who began her college career at North Carolina before transferring to Ohio State.

Mavunga averaged 11.4 points and 10.8 rebounds last season, becoming the first Ohio State player ever to average a double-double. Mavunga is in the best shape of her career after an offseason nutrition plan. She opened the season in grand fashion, pulling down a school record 26 rebounds against Stanford in the season opener.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 24 of 93

Jump to: