2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Lottery rescheduled for Nov. 13.
To be televised on ESPN2

http://www.wnba.com/news/2018-wnba-draft-lottery-presented-state-farm-take-place-espn2-nov-13/

NEW YORK, Nov. 1, 2017 – The 2018 WNBA Draft Lottery presented by State Farm will be conducted on Monday, Nov. 13, in Secaucus, N.J., the WNBA announced today. The results of the lottery will be announced on ESPN2 during the 6 p.m. ET edition of SportsCenter prior to the network’s telecast of the NCAA women’s basketball game between South Carolina and Maryland at 7 p.m. ET. The Lottery winner will secure the top pick in the WNBA Draft 2018 presented by State Farm, to be held next April.

By missing the 2017 WNBA Playoffs, Las Vegas (formerly the San Antonio Stars), the Indiana Fever, Atlanta Dream and Chicago Sky have qualified for the 17th annual Lottery drawing. Atlanta’s spot in the lottery, however, belongs to Chicago, as the result of a July 31 trade in which the Sky sent Imani Boyette and Tamera Young to the Dream in exchange for Jordan Hooper and Atlanta’s first-round pick in 2018.

Lottery odds are based on the cumulative records of the two most recent regular seasons (2016 and 2017). Because the Stars had a cumulative record of 15-53, Las Vegas will have the most chances to land the top pick (442 out of 1,000) and is guaranteed at least the third pick.

Actually it doesn't say it will be televised. It says "The results of the lottery will be announced" on Sportscenter.

Now maybe that's just sloppy writing and they intend to televise it live, but that's not what the announcement says. And that would be pretty suprising for ESPN to give up a block of time from the Michael Smith/Jemelle Hill Show for a live extravaganza.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/01/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Actually it doesn't say it will be televised. It says "The results of the lottery will be announced" on Sportscenter.

Now maybe that's just sloppy writing and they intend to televise it live, but that's not what the announcement says. And that would be pretty suprising for ESPN to give up a block of time from the Michael Smith/Jemelle Hill Show for a live extravaganza.

It'll probably be like last year's where they just randomly put up a graphic with the pick order towards the end of the SportsCenter hour. That was how they thoroughly underwhelmed everyone last time.

PostPosted: 11/02/17 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see the justification for doing the WNBA lottery live. Lottery shows, like draft shows, are inherently boring, as the only thing that really matters is who gets which pick.

And in the grand scheme of sports things, where does the WNBA rank in a November sportscast?

PostPosted: 11/02/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

And in the grand scheme of sports things, where does the WNBA rank in a November sportscast?

Which of course is why they should have gone ahead and done it at the high point of interest during the Finals in September as originally planned.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/02/17 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Which of course is why they should have gone ahead and done it at the high point of interest during the Finals in September as originally planned.

If the Las Vegas owners said no, I think that Lisa and the WNBA had to go along ...

PostPosted: 11/02/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suggest a single plausible reason why MGM management would have cared whether the lottery occurred before or after the deal was finalized and closed. Did it affect the outcome of the lottery? No. Did they have any decisions to make relative to the lottery? No. Were they going to get an opportunity to appear and get publicity? No. If anything, it would have been useful to know the outcome before they finished the deal, although I think the likelihood of it having any effect whatsoever on the terms is zero.

Oh, I know. They must have believed they are inherently luckier than the San Antonio owners, and that if it was still owned by SA they'd draw a three, but if it was owned by MGM, they'd draw a one. That must be it. After all, they are in the gambling business. Don't know how I could have missed that.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/02/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Suggest a single plausible reason why MGM management would have cared whether the lottery occurred before or after the deal was finalized and closed. Did it affect the outcome of the lottery? No. Did they have any decisions to make relative to the lottery? No. Were they going to get an opportunity to appear and get publicity? No. If anything, it would have been useful to know the outcome before they finished the deal, although I think the likelihood of it having any effect whatsoever on the terms is zero.

Oh, I know. They must have believed they are inherently luckier than the San Antonio owners, and that if it was still owned by SA they'd draw a three, but if it was owned by MGM, they'd draw a one. That must be it. After all, they are in the gambling business. Don't know how I could have missed that.

Playing devil's advocate, since I already said what I thought the prime reason was, but I can see if negotiations were going on it not being a good luck afterwards to have a team win the lottery and then move.

As for pushing it out all the way until November, I do think that since they play at Mandalay Bay they wanted to put some distance between what happened and discussion of the new team.

Just saying these are plausible.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/02/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pokey Talks WNBA Draft Lottery

http://fever.wnba.com/video/pokey-talks-wnba-draft-lottery/

Quote:
Fever head coach Pokey Chatman discusses the team’s chances for the number one pick and what the team will look for in the draft.

It's a two minute video, and I don't have the bandwidth to report on it at the moment. Very curious what she might be looking for besides Wilson. Looking for Azura Stevens to declare early? Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 11/02/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I managed to hear enough, I guess.

She's looking for needs, and one of those needs is size at any position. Another is three point shooting.

She's looking a immediate impact player over a project.

Hmm... well Gabby Williams doesn't seem to fit any of those criteria. If all these criteria hold up through April, it kinda sounds like she's describing DeShields if she doesn't get the #1 pick.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/02/17 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

She's looking for needs, and one of those needs is size at any position. Another is three point shooting.

Hmm... well Gabby Williams doesn't seem to fit any of those criteria. If all these criteria hold up through April, it kinda sounds like she's describing DeShields if she doesn't get the #1 pick.

That's what i took from it also , but the Knock down lazer three point shooter swayed me to Kelsey Mitchell then again she does not have Size. If Indiana gets the #1 pick i have no doubt they will select Aja.

PostPosted: 11/05/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

That's what i took from it also , but the Knock down lazer three point shooter swayed me to Kelsey Mitchell then again she does not have Size. If Indiana gets the #1 pick i have no doubt they will select Aja.

she's just covering her bases so that whatever she gets, she can then say, "see they fill our needs just like I mentioned before"

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/05/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

she's just covering her bases so that whatever she gets, she can then say, "see they fill our needs just like I mentioned before"

Indiana needs to pick Kelsey Mitchell. They need upgrades everywhere and are in a serious rebuilding project. In that case, by the elite, Olympic caliber offensive player and scorer. Fill in around her next year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/05/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Indiana needs to pick Kelsey Mitchell. They need upgrades everywhere and are in a serious rebuilding project. In that case, by the elite, Olympic caliber offensive player and scorer. Fill in around her next year.

While they already have lots of quality guards, this could work if they could get a quality big with one or two of their existing guards.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 11/05/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nurse is 9-11 from three in two preseason games.

Look where she's shooting this three. There's nobody guarding her. She could have stepped up to the line. She seems to be dialed in from this distance, which is way beyond WNBA distance.

Gabby Williams was 1-1 from today's preseason game, so at least we know she's capable. Hopefully, she has worked on it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/06/17 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The operative phrase being:

Shades wrote:
There's nobody guarding her.

It's a good thing too. Did you notice the launch point is about even with the UConn logo on her jersey?

Shades

PostPosted: 11/06/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Counting down the top 25 women's basketball players for 2017-18

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21290497/espnw-top-25-women-college-basketball-players-2017-18

Quote:
After tallying the votes from Charlie Creme, Graham Hays and Mechelle Voepel, espnW is counting down the best in the nation. Come back each day this week as we add another five honorees.

(More in depth player summaries at the link)
Bolding the seniors and draft eligible

25. Ruthy Hebard, Oregon, F, 6-foot-4, sophomore

2016-17: 14.9 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 58.8 field goal percentage
Like fellow sophomore Sabrina Ionescu, Hebard had a great debut season last year for Oregon.

24. Myisha Hines-Allen, Louisville, F, 6-foot-2, senior

2016-17: 13.9 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 49.3 field goal percentage
Almost since her arrival in Louisville, Hines-Allen has established herself as one of the best multidimensional, offensive power forwards in the game.

23. Morgan William, Mississippi State, G, 5-foot-5, senior

2016-17: 10.9 PPG, 4.6 APG, 1.5 SPG
She'll always be remembered for the shot that beat UConn in the national semifinals and her school-record 41 points in the Elite Eight overtime win against Baylor.

22. Monique Billings, UCLA, F, 6-foot-4, senior

2016-17: 16.7 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 1.9 BPG
Any post player benefits from the proximity of a point guard such as UCLA's Jordin Canada, but make no mistake: Canada also finds life made easier by having Billings around.

21. Mercedes Russell, Tennessee, C, 6-foot-6, senior

2016-17: 16.1 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 56.2 field goal percentage
She greatly improved scoring consistency as a junior, including progressing at the free throw line (67.1 percent, up from 54.5 as sophomore).

20. Brooke McCarty, Texas, G, 5-foot-4, senior

2016-17: 14.1 PPG, 3.6 APG, 43.0 3-point field goal percentage
Officially, McCarty is the reigning Big 12 player of the year and the first Longhorn ever to win that award. Unofficially, the shortest player in our rankings might well be the best inch-for-inch player in the land.

19. Shakayla Thomas, Florida State, F, 5-foot-11, senior

2016-17: 14.9 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 49.4 field goal percentage
The reigning ACC player of the year, Thomas has anchored the most successful three-year period in the history of Florida State's program. She combines a scorer's mentality with superior physical strength and an explosive leaping ability that belies her size.

18. Rebecca Greenwell, Duke, G, 6-foot-1, senior

2016-17: 16.4 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 2.4 APG
Greenwell arrived at Duke as an almost folkloric shooter, and after sitting out her freshman year with an injury, she became one of the most consistent long-range shooters in ACC history.

17. Tynice Martin, West Virginia, G, 5-foot-11, junior

2016-17: 18.6 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 2.3 APG
Playing with a fearlessness not often seen in a sophomore on the big stage, Martin put West Virginia on her back last spring and carried the Mountaineers to the Big 12 tournament championship.

16. Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State, F, 6-foot-1, senior

2016-17: 16.2 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 1.5 APG
Scoring always has been her identity as a player, but the Bulldogs need her to stay engaged in the action even when her shot is not working.

15. Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame, G, 5-foot-8, junior

2016-17: 15.9 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 45.4 3-point field goal percentage
Never lacking in confidence with the ball in her hands, Ogunbowale has become one of the most creative and exciting players in the game.

14. Kia Nurse, UConn, G, 6-foot-0, senior

2016-17: 12.7 PPG, 3.9 APG, 46.2 3-point field goal percentage
On teams with less talent, Nurse would be a star, a big-time scorer who gets to dominate. At UConn she has become a better basketball player.

13. Sophie Cunningham, Missouri, G, 6-foot-1, junior

2016-17: 17.5 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 3.4 APG
She was fourth in the SEC in scoring last season as the Tigers finished tied for third in the league. Cunningham endured a lot of back pain throughout last season, but still played in all but two games.

12. Kristine Anigwe, California, C/F, 6-foot-4, junior

2016-17: 21.0 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 56.6 field goal percentage
In a day when so many players want to stalk the perimeter, shoot 3-pointers and lead the break, Anigwe is a throwback. She wants to post up, demand the ball on the low block and get to the rim, the closer the better.

11. Lexie Brown, Duke, G, 5-foot-9, senior

2016-17: 18.3 PPG, 3.9 APG, 3.7 RPG
Two players accounted for nearly 50 percent of Duke's field goal attempts a season ago, which made it all the more impressive that Brown was among the nation's most efficient scorers.

10. Kalani Brown, Baylor, C, 6-foot-7, junior

2016-17: 15.4 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 67.9 field goal percentage
Her field goal percentage is the best for any returning Division I player.

9. Azurá Stevens, UConn, F, 6-foot-6, junior

2015-16 (at Duke): 18.9 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 53.5 field goal percentage
She possesses the ballhandling and shooting skills some players 6 inches shorter don't have.

8. Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, G, 5-foot-10, sophomore

2016-17: 14.6 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 5.5 APG
Make no mistake, it's substance more than style that makes Ionescu valuable on a basketball court.

7. Asia Durr, Louisville, G, 5-foot-10, junior

2016-17: 19.2 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 40.5 3-point field goal percentage
There are players who will average more points or shoot a better percentage from the 3-point line, although neither list will be that long. But there is no more stomach-churning experience for an opponent than watching Durr hit a couple of shots in a row and knowing they are the first stray pebbles of an avalanche.

6. Jordin Canada, UCLA, G, 5-foot-6, senior

2016-17: 17.8 PPG, 7.1 APG, 43.4 field goal percentage
Quietly competitive, Canada has slowly transformed into a more vocal leader her senior year, hoping to lead a program she is largely responsible for resurrecting to its first Final Four.

5. Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn, G/F, 6-foot-3, junior

2016-17: 20.2 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 42.0 3-point field goal percentage
UConn coach Geno Auriemma will probably still make jokes about the Californian's West Coast mellowness or defensive willingness, but the rest of the country is doing its best to avoid antagonizing her. It is difficult enough to defend a 6-foot-3 player who makes 3-pointers look like free throws.

4. Gabby Williams, UConn, F, 5-foot-11, senior

2016-17: 14.3 PPG, 8.4 RPG, 5.1 APG
Few players anywhere can stuff a stat sheet like Williams, who also had 100 steals and 52 blocked shots last season.

3. Napheesa Collier, UConn, F, 6-foot-1, junior

2016-17: 20.4 PPG, 9.1 RPG, 67.8 field goal percentage
UConn might be the gold standard of sharing the ball, but only six returning players in the nation averaged more points per game a season ago than Collier.

2. Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State, G, 5-foot-8, senior

2016-17: 22.6 PPG, 3.9 APG, 36.9 3-point field goal percentage
Mitchell is the most aggressive offensive player in the country with the ball in her left hand in the open floor. She is a relentless attacker who also has a deep shooting range, but an explosive first step remains Mitchell's greatest weapon.

1. A'ja Wilson, South Carolina, F, 6-foot-5, senior

2016-17: 17.9 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 90 blocked shots
She was the Final Four's most outstanding player and was also named the SEC's player of the year for the second season in a row.

Last edited by Shades on 11/10/17 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 11/09/17 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brown is almost a 50/40/90 player, I wouldn’t be shocked to see her to in to top 4 or 5.
awhom111

PostPosted: 11/10/17 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I took off my usual pessimist hat and wrote a bunch of nice things about some international players:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/11/international-names-know-2018-wnba-draft/

I covered a wide range of players, those who will almost certainly drafted to names that would be shocking to hear on draft day. Mo spiced the article up a bit and I am not sure that the heights that she found can be considered reliable. Either way, this draft and the next one have plenty of international options.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/10/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Brown is almost a 50/40/90 player, I wouldn’t be shocked to see her to in to top 4 or 5.

Me neither most mocks have her in the 7/8 Range but i think there sleeping on brown . She will be solid , maybe a bit shaky her first season but she will be a great guard in this league. Seattle at #5 needs to take a look at her.

PostPosted: 11/10/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Monique Billings is too low on that ESPN rankings, should be at least top15

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 11/10/17 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Me neither most mocks have her in the 7/8 Range but i think there sleeping on brown . She will be solid , maybe a bit shaky her first season but she will be a great guard in this league. Seattle at #5 needs to take a look at her.

She would help open the floor for Stewart, they could take a post, but unless they plan on cutting ties with Lang I don't see a point in getting a center.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/10/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

She would help open the floor for Stewart, they could take a post, but unless they plan on cutting ties with Lang I don't see a point in getting a center.

Yeah seattle needs to be looking at Russell , Brown , Diamond , Kia Nurse. PG,SF,Center positions all need upgrading !

PostPosted: 11/11/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Prospects biggest Lines from late night:

Jordin Canada: 3PT: 4-4 Triple-Double: Pts 26 ast 10 stls 10 rebs 6

Stephanie Mavunga: 17 PTS, 26 REBS

Kelsey Mitchell: 30 pts

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/11/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And that shows.... well nothing really they are all relative to the competition i.e. Mitchell was gunning taking some bad shots and not particularly good decision making with the usual no D from Ohio st. Canadas possibly showing she hit a couple 3s and hopefully will continue to do so.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/11/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She would help open the floor for Stewart

Unless for some reason the transition from college to WNBA doesn't affect Brown like it affects all guards before her, she wouldn't be getting enough playing time to open up things for Stewart. Are you projecting down the road after Bird is gone?

they could take a post, but unless they plan on cutting ties with Lang I don't see a point in getting a center.

Unless they core her, she'll be an UFA free to go to any club (for instance, like Minnesota who might be looking to replace veteran presence Pierson). Langhorne could be the one cutting ties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 21 of 93

Jump to: