RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibFan25

PostPosted: 11/07/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://summitthoops.com/2017/11/07/podcast-new-york-liberty-head-coach-katie-smith/

I'm loving these Katie Smith Interviews Smile

Coach Smith will be in Columbus this weekend for the UCONN-Stanford and Louisville-Ohio State games:

WNBA prospects for each team:

UCONN: Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, Stevens?

Louisville: Hines-Allen

Stanford: McPhee

Ohio State: Kelsey Mitchell, Harper, Mavunga

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/08/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really excited to see what might transpire. Sugar is a commodity who can be moved. We've discussed some scenarios in the past about whatever value she has. But one thing I've now been thinking about is the possibility of trading her along with the 10th overall pick in exchange for however many spots you can attain. Might work depending on the team involved.

PostPosted: 11/08/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to trade Rodgers but if we had to my unrealistic fantasy trade would be (I said but already but I'm going to repeat myself and make it more complicated)

Rodgers, L. Allen and #10 to LV for Jefferson and #13

result
NY
Jefferson/Boyd
Prince/Hartley/Schimmel
Zellous/Raincock-Ekunwe
Charles/(#13) Mavunga
Stokes/Swords
#12 roster spot whoever is better in camp between Zahui B and R. Allen since or line up is fluid enough to work with either as the last option with NRE being able to play 3 or 4
We bring back Swords to back up Stokes as UFA
#13 Mavunga shocks everyone and becomes an almost first round talent this season and a decent pro stretch 4
Schimmel finds her passion comes back for redemption story behind enough depth that it won't hurt BY if it doesn't work out.
And most importantly NY gets a true PG in Jefferson who can score in double digits, hit the three and set up Charles anywhere on the floor.

Vegas
Plum/L. Allen
McBride/Rosgers
(#10) Nared/Hamby/Burdick
(#1) Wilson/Dos Santos
Harrison/Alexander

12th spot Coffey. Colson, Montgomery or Holmes depending on what BL thinks he needs most/
Laimbeer has 3 players he is familiar with (Rodgers/Allen and Burdick) that know his system, improves the defense by adding Rodgers, Allen Nared and getting Dos Santos back, solves the Plum/Jefferson small back court issue and Vegas looks like a real W team with some depth that Laimbeer can work with.

I realize it probably won't happen but I don't think it is that crazy of a trade for either team. The smaller more realistic version Rodgers and #10 for Jefferson but I was feeling fanciful so why not go all out and Laimbeer really speaks highly of both Rodgers and L. Allen so why not go all in.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/08/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a different note I don't think Rodgers and #10 gets us to a higher draft spot. I don't see Vegas or Indy trading lottery picks and Chicago needs less assets not more, if anything I could see Chicago doing a 2 for one with a player and one of their picks for a better player. Seattle might do Rodgers and #10 for #5 but they have been burnt lately with trades and anyone NY might want at #5 (a falling Mitchell, Deshields or Williams) I think Seattle would want (maybe Hughes would do it if Deshields and he sees her as a possible attitude problem if so I would be all for getting Diamond in NY but I think Hughes would prefer Stokes and #10 to Rodgers and #10), Same with Russell, if Russell is good enough that NY would want her with #5 I think Seattle (who also needs a center) would just pick her and if Mercedes isn't a sure thing at #5 that Seattle would be willing to trade her than I'm not sure NY wouldn't be better off just keeping Rodgers and the decent player they can draft at #10.

Unless there are a number of early entries once you get to #6 is there really that much difference between #6 and #10.

Which is why I think if NY packages Rodgers and #10 it would be more likely for a player than a pick IMO.

My other trade possibilities would be

Rodgers and #10 for Hayes (to play at SF)
Rodgers and #10 for Howard (maybe)
Rodgers and #10 for Bonner (if we don't have to do the whole Dupree thing as well)
Rodgers and #10 for Sims (if she can play lead/PG)
Rodgers and #10 for Hill (If she can play SF)
The flip side or Rodgers and #10 for Jefferson
Rodgers and #10 for Plum (If Smith sees a little of herself in Plum, and Plum can play PG and take a Diggins like step forward her sophomore season, maybe)
Rodgers and #10 for A. Gray (I think Dallas would prefer Stokes and #10, can Gray play SF)
Rodgers straight up For A. Davis? (I think just signing Christmas as an UFA would be smarter than either of the Dallas moves)

(Not saying I like these just trying to keep it realisitc) (Honestly I would much rather trade Prince but her desire to be in NY, age and Russian commitment makes that seem off the table)

Also I'm just playing the imagination game don't take either of these posts too seriously.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/09/17 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you sure that Sugar is under contract for 2018? The WNBA salary spreadsheet doesn't show that to be the case. Of course, the reliability of that source is not proven.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/09/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if Rodgers only signed for one year. And yes, we've found numerous questionable items on the WNBA salary spreadsheet.

In all likelihood, Sugar is making max. Hartley is an RFA, and I'm guessing NY would like to bring her back but at a reasonable rate since her continuing status as a starter is less than certain. So, if you're another team, would you rather trade assets for Sugar AND pay her max or simply offer max to Hartley knowing that NY is unlikely to match? Sugar is the better defender, but over the second half of the season, I would argue that Hartley was more reliable on offense. You also get a bit more versatility since Bria can play both backcourt positions (with limitations), whereas Rodgers is pretty much only a shooting guard. Doing neither is certainly a reasonable option.Razz Or maybe the other team can absorb Rodgers' salary by trading back a big contract of their own.

If Sugar actually did sign a one-year contract, then she would be an RFA. That opens up a whole other line of discussion.

PostPosted: 11/09/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got curious and looked up the press release when Sugar was signed, which really doesn't help. All it said was "Per team policy, the terms of the agreements were not disclosed." The spreadsheet is right just often enough to give some credence to it, but who knows. It would seem quite strange to me that coming off the year Sugar in 2016 the Liberty would not have signed her for more than just one year.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/09/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Sugar Rodgers will be better off with a new head coach (Katie Smith) or a new team entirely. I don't mean this as a criticism of Bill Laimbeer. I have no idea why Rodgers had, for her, such a disappointing season shooting the basketball. She certainly played hard. What went wrong? Will playing for a different head coach help?

PostPosted: 11/09/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone have the list of free agents for the Liberty? I've been gathering as much data as I can find out there but the Liberty (and Dream, Stars, Mystics, and Fever) don't have any accurate info out there.

The salary DB is better than nothing but it does seem to jump to conclusions at times. Most specific example I have is that it listed both Sami Whitcomb and Carolyn Swords as being signed through the 2018 season when they are free agents this year.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/09/17 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe it is

UFA
K. Vaughn

RFA
B. Hartley

Reserved status (Possibly)
L. Allen
N. Raincock-Ekunwe

Not sure on the status of
Rodgers (if she only signed one year she would be a RFA)
Zellous (If she is out of contract she would be an UFA)
R. Allen (if she is out of contract would be reserved)

Boyd, Stokes, Zahui B all still on rookie contract

Prince and Charles are under contract

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/10/17 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Around the 19 minute mark of Megdal's interview with Katie Smith, he mentions that Tina Charles is a free agent. He asks Katie if she expects Tina back, and the answer is "I would hope so" followed by a nervous laugh. Laughing

I thought Charles was under contract too, but she did just complete her 4th year with New York. If they gave her a max term contract, that would be 4 years. Even though Tina likely wants to stay, and the Liberty would core her if she didn't, you know someone on this board is still going to speculate about her leaving. Let the rumors begin!

PostPosted: 11/10/17 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Even though Tina likely wants to stay, and the Liberty would core her if she didn't, you know someone on this board is still going to speculate about her leaving. Let the rumors begin!

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92523&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/10/17 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have spoken against the coring rule many times so I won't be a hypocrite and say we should core Charles.

With that said I would be super shocked if she would want to leave, she has deep connections to NY and I'm sure we will offer her a max contract both years and money.

If she does want to leave she might as well just go to Minnesota and reunite with Moore and Montgomery. Brunson would probably be willing to come off the bench at this point, and Minny would extend its championship window another 3 to 5 years or so. Atl would be an interesting option as well. If Vegas doesn't get the #1 pick Vegas would be a good location add her and say Deshields or G. Williams and Vegas becomes a near contender year 1. I feel comfortable making these suggestion only because I can't actually see her leaving.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 11/10/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What was that about Thibault and Charles again? Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 11/10/17 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I have spoken against the coring rule many times so I won't be a hypocrite and say we should core Charles.

With that said I would be super shocked if she would want to leave, she has deep connections to NY and I'm sure we will offer her a max contract both years and money.

Coring have proven to be a joke in recent years. 3 of the 5 cored players from last season didn't even play, and only 1 played the team that cored her. I agree that Charles probably isn't going anywhere.

dab44lb

PostPosted: 11/13/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
I find it fascinating that people can propose possible trades for the Liberty when we have no idea who could actually make those trades. Do people think that Katie Smith, who's never been a head coach in the WNBA, is effectively going to be the GM as well? If not, then who is? Suppose Bill Laimbeer wants to get Sugar Rodgers, Kiah Stokes, or someone else from the Liberty roster. Who does he call?

Ghostbusters!

Hahahahaha!!!!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/16/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's hard for me to post anything about sexual harasser Isiah Thomas other than a complete denunciation, but Liberty fans might want to read this article from today's New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/sports/basketball/new-york-liberty-isiah-thomas.html

P.S. I'm not sure if this article should be posted in this thread or in the discussion about the possible sale of the Liberty. I consider it relevant in both places. If a moderator feels it should be moved, or if Liberty fans feel it should be moved, I'm happy to do so.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think he's a long shot for buying the team, IMO.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/18/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's hard to know which thread to put this in, but I'm choosing this one.

We (Liberty fans on this board) have been focusing on who might buy the team and on where they might play. Meanwhile, I'm wondering about what's happening right now--on a different level--in this insane atmosphere.

The Liberty, as before, has no GM. We didn't know who made various decisions last year and now Bill Laimbeer is gone. Will there be a new GM? Will sexual harasser Isiah Thomas be involved in selecting a new GM? Is he already out the door? Or completely focused on where he'll land next?

Can Katie Smith hire a new assistant coach? What would she say: "Hey, it would be great for you to join us if we have a team in 2018! And we might play at MSG, or the Barclay Center, or the Nassau Coliseum, or Levien Gym, or in some other metropolitan area entirely." And how can Katie Smith or anyone from the Liberty approach a free agent that the team might want?

PostPosted: 11/18/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Free agency doesn't start until January/February (at least - they might push it further if there's still uncertainty over a franchise), so if they're talking to any free agents they probably should keep that quiet Wink.

PostPosted: 11/30/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21619656/msg-discussing-sale-wnba-new-york-liberty-several-groups

Not sure if this has already been posted but some optimism for the liberty fans !!

PostPosted: 11/30/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will not be surprised if the Liberty stays at the MSG. I have been there twice to watch WNBA games. The crowd is electric and very loud. The fans there love the Liberty.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/30/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
I will not be surprised if the Liberty stays at the MSG.

I'd be very surprised. Dolan is going to want prime arena fees. That makes playing at MSG not economically feasible unless they jack up the ticket prices, and then very few people will come to the games.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/30/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
I will not be surprised if the Liberty stays at the MSG.

I'd be very surprised. Dolan is going to want prime arena fees. That makes playing at MSG not economically feasible unless they jack up the ticket prices, and then very few people will come to the games.

I could see this being a part of the condition of sale. I expect that the Liberty will at least play 2018 in MSG, because the season is already less than six months away and it does not appear a sale is imminent. More likely, if the sale goes through to a New York based group they would play one more year at MSG and then move to a more appropriate facility long term, unless they get long term cost concessions from the arena.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/17 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like swin was right after all , Her comments on IG were right .
Quote:
"Liberty Fans dont worry , there are some things in the works You will hear some news in the coming few weeks"
#ThanksSwintayla Cool Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 12 of 90

Jump to: