RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Candidates for Inaugural Ann Meyers Drysdale Award.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 11/07/17 5:21 pm    ::: Candidates for Inaugural Ann Meyers Drysdale Award. Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/07/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a new SGOY award -- shooting guard of the year.

Kelsey Mitchell isn't a SG? I guess not, as she's on the Lieberman PGOY list. Same with Nurse.

Where is the Magic Buss?

I'll place a five-player field bet on Maggard, Samuelson, Durr, Laksa and McPhee.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/07/17 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This is a new SGOY award -- shooting guard of the year.

Kelsey Mitchell isn't a SG? I guess not, as she's on the Lieberman PGOY list. Same with Nurse.

Where is the Magic Buss?

I'll place a five-player field bet on Maggard, Samuelson, Durr, Laksa and McPhee.

Do freshmen apply ?

PostPosted: 11/07/17 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always considered Maggard a PG. I've watched that team a bit since she was on my fantasy team and she brings the ball up the floor and initiates the offense. Just because she shoots better than many pure PGs doesn't make her less of a PG.

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/07/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This list might make more sense if half the people on the Lieberman list weren't better suited to this role.

(now with spelling variations)
stever

PostPosted: 11/08/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today I learned Stephanie Mavunga is a small forward.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/08/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was before my time, but was Cheryl Miller a SF?

Gabby played center last year and it doesn't look like they're changing anything this year yet.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/08/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My ass is Erika Davenport a small forward.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/08/17 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
was Cheryl Miller a SF?

Define small forward. Better yet, convince the HOF to define the term.

According to the HoopHall Awards site, we will also be getting a Katrina McClain and a Lisa Leslie awards list, presumably for power forwards and centers.

This whole scheme of five positional awards raises the dodgy (for some of us) question of what these positional names really mean. While some players have skill sets suitable for only one primary role -- such a tall low post shooter/rebounder or a short non-shooting ball handler -- I think most players with above average basketball talent have skills to play multiple roles from multiple positions on the court. Therefore, we'll always have controversy as to what positional award various highly talented players should be eligible for.

Cheryl Miller had multiple athletic skills, but did not have a really good long distance shooting touch. She was a great floor runner and rebounder, and an effective short-to-medium range shooter. In today's numerical terminology, I'd call her mainly a combo 4-3, but she could also go into the low post as well as shoot mediocrely from the outside.

I think Carol Blazjowski was a better outside shooter than Ann Meyers, whereas Meyers was a better all-around athlete and multi-skill/multi-position player in an era of short players.
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/08/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really dumb to try to separate shooting guards from small forwards, and power forwards from centers, but it is way to generate more publicity for the game overall and the nominees from the various schools.

Sort of like all-star games ... pointless but mildly entertaining.

PostPosted: 11/08/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a "small forward" Cheryl Miller averaged 15 rebounds per game one year and 12 RPG over her entire career. And if that isn't enough to convince you that her categorization is suspect, she never even attempted a three point shot.

It would have made much more sense to give Miller the power forward position and give the small forward to another Cheryl, sort of, Sheryl Swoopes.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/08/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
As a "small forward" Cheryl Miller averaged 15 rebounds per game one year and 12 RPG over her entire career. And if that isn't enough to convince you that her categorization is suspect, she never even attempted a three point shot.

The three point line wasn't adopted in WCBB until 1987-88, two seasons after Miller graduated.

PostPosted: 11/08/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I always thought of Allazia Blockton as a shooting guard and was surprised to see her on the other list. Yeah I don't think of Davenport as a small forward either.

But it is nice to see some Marquette players getting some recognition.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/09/17 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are two full games where you can watch Cheryl Miller and other stars of yore.

The 1983 NC game between USC and LaTech: The Women of Troy featured perhaps the greatest frontcourt in the history of WCBB, Cheryl Miller and the McGee twins, Pam (the mother of Imani Boyette) and Paula. They also had Cynthia Cooper in the backcourt. The Lady Techsters, although not as good as the 1982 team, featured the great Janet Lawrence up front with Debra Rodman (Dennis's sister) and Kim Mulkey at point guard. The other starters were also very good, and both these teams would be top five today, in my opinion and Leon Barmore's.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DhNPED-DjEI" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The 1984 NC game between USC and Tennessee: USC featured the same four stars, except Cooper didn't start. Tennessee started the "Fearsome Five" seniors and had a bench whose custom was to stand during the entire game.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f0uabwrNNKE" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/09/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I always thought of Allazia Blockton as a shooting guard and was surprised to see her on the other list. Yeah I don't think of Davenport as a small forward either.

But it is nice to see some Marquette players getting some recognition.

Yeah, really. King's your undisputed PG, and I'd say Hiedeman's more your SG, which would make Blockton the SF, if we have to squeeze hexagonal pegs into round holes. Davenport, the rim protector and top rebounder who gets her points around the rim, is... not what I would consider a prototypical SF.

(For that matter, Akina Wellere's more of an SF than an SG, but I don't even know with St. John's sometimes.)

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/09/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

The three point line wasn't adopted in WCBB until 1987-88, two seasons after Miller graduated.

It was a joke.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/09/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

It was a joke.

The three-point line is still a joke. Bring back sophisticated paint penetration basketball.
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/09/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

It was a joke.

The three-point line is still a joke. Bring back sophisticated paint penetration basketball.

well, the bulldozer in the lane is a popular subset in some areas. I don't find that particularly pretty either. I like the inside out aspect with some midrange action too. Actually your team is pretty to watch in that regard, but they look so much like a well-oiled machine, and the opponents just stagger to try to keep up - so while the ball they play is pretty, the games are pretty boring to watch for very long. It's fun but rare when they meet a team that can in fact keep up.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: