RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Game Day Forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/08/17 11:01 am    ::: Game Day Forum Reply Reply with quote

The season is here. Is it time to bring it back? I had it bookmarked, but it no longer exists.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/08/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the main forum can handle 3 or 4 game threads a day of the games most people are likely to talk about.

I could spend 90 minutes making 20 game threads, and people still would prefer talking in a miscellaneous thread. If that's the preference, we can do that just as well out here.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/08/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wondered how long this would take

You say this every year and every year the overwhelming sentiment is for a seperate forum.

Because many posters are interested in games that you may not be.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/08/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love having them in a separate forum! It keeps the main forum cleaner and makes it easier to find the games you're looking for.

And I greatly appreciate Shades' work in creating the threads.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/08/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also appreciate Shades' work -- but I would rather have just the top games on the main forum. If someone wants to talk about another game, they can just start a thread ...

PostPosted: 11/08/17 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I strongly prefer a separate game day sub-forum, but that idea actually lost out in a poll I did for the WNBA forum. If I recall, some people made the distinction that there are fewer WNBA games each week to "clutter up" one main WNBA forum than there are for the many possible games every day on the NCAA forum.

Also note that in past years' NCAA game day sub-forums, cth has posted a daily pick 'em thread and someone else has posted some other sort of daily or frequent betting/tipping thread. I almost never participate in those betting threads, or in the majority of the game day threads, so they are much easier to ignore when they are in a separate sub-forum. Conversely, they are easier to locate in a separate sub-forum when I do want to participate in them.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/08/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I also appreciate Shades' work -- but I would rather have just the top games on the main forum. If someone wants to talk about another game, they can just start a thread ...

Where would they start the thread? In the main forum? Wouldn't that go against your preference?

Perhaps Shades would like to refrain from doing all the game threads in the future, or having to update them with final scores, etc. It wouldn't be hard at all for someone else to start them.

stever

PostPosted: 11/08/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewforum.php?f=29

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/08/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we have guidelines for what should have a thread and what should not in that forum?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/08/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Do we have guidelines for what should have a thread and what should not in that forum?

I'll let the moderators or administrators (what's the difference, anyway?) tell us whether there are any official guidelines.

To me, the title of the forum is "Game Discussion", which means on most sports websites that this is the place to discuss games while they are in progress. Shades usually puts his game threads up days in advance, often with a poll, so those games can be discussed beforehand as well as while they are in progress. Obviously, some of the specific game discussion goes on after the final whistle blows, especially for people who DVR'ed it.

If the next day I wanted to discuss why McGuff's defense led to his defeat against Stanford and why it will hurt against other opponents, I'd start a different thread about that in the General Discussion forum, because the primary intention of the topic is no longer to discuss a specific game in progress or about to progress.
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/08/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

thank you. much appreciated.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/09/17 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Thanks for bringing it back, Stever (and same URL, too).

Shades, thanks for your work, too.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/09/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

If you want to start a conversation about a game, start a thread. Everyone and anyone should have permissions.

If you want to go "hey, this is a game that happened and I want to tell you that it happened, but that's all I want to mention", we can also do a miscellaneous games thread in that forum. If we have a miscellaneous game that people want to talk about in more detail, a separate thread can always be started.

(now with spelling variations)
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/09/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

If you want to start a conversation about a game, start a thread. Everyone and anyone should have permissions.

If you want to go "hey, this is a game that happened and I want to tell you that it happened, but that's all I want to mention", we can also do a miscellaneous games thread in that forum. If we have a miscellaneous game that people want to talk about in more detail, a separate thread can always be started.

Yep I always figured threads for conferences would be a good way to keep them together in a context-based way (I think someone did that here a few years ago). Or just one simple "catch-all" thread. But like you mentioned if they are games that merit more discussion than just when it was scheduled, and the final score, then folks could start a specific thread for those...

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/10/17 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Yep I always figured threads for conferences would be a good way to keep them together in a context-based way (I think someone did that here a few years ago). Or just one simple "catch-all" thread. But like you mentioned if they are games that merit more discussion than just when it was scheduled, and the final score, then folks could start a specific thread for those...

I like the conference idea- the MAC fans used to do something similar. We'll all figure it out as we go along.

(now with spelling variations)
Shades

PostPosted: 12/03/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys need to make more of an effort making live game comments if you want me to continue with my efforts to make threads.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of us are AT the dang games and don't get back until a LOT later! And I'd have commented on the JMU game at the time but the f***ing Convo Center has the sorriest wifi you have ever seen...as in basically NONE.

Other times I'm dealing with no TV games at my house.

Does that answer your question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: