RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Exhibition Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/06/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue beat Univ of St Francis, 88-39. All 5 starters finished in double figures, led by senior Andreona Keys who had 21 pts, 10 rebs, 6 assts and 3 steals. Soph Ae'Rianna Harris had 16 pts, 9 rebs, 3 blocks. Soph Dominique Oden had 14 pts & 4 assts while the 3rd soph starter Lamina Cooper had 12 pts, 4 rebs, 4 assts and 6 steals. The 5th starter was frosh Karrisa McLaughlin, who had 11 pts, going 3-6 from 3-pt land.

This team won't have a ton of depth so limiting fouls will be a key for them this year.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/06/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
tOSU over Urbana 135-54. Five Buckeyes with 20 or more points lead by Mavunga with 27, Mitchell and Harper with 25

Urbana went 3-19 in its own conference last year. Why in the world would tOSU schedule that opponent? What could the Buckeyes possibly learn about themselves over the course of that game?

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/06/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA scrimmaged against Texas in Colorado last month and reports are Texas mopped the floor with the Bruins.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/06/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
tOSU over Urbana 135-54. Five Buckeyes with 20 or more points lead by Mavunga with 27, Mitchell and Harper with 25

Urbana went 3-19 in its own conference last year. Why in the world would tOSU schedule that opponent? What could the Buckeyes possibly learn about themselves over the course of that game?

One could have the same question regarding USC's exhibition opponent Coker, who didn't do much better last season. But besides Coker being an in-state college, it's also coached by Gamecock Alum Shannon Johnson, who was also a teammate of Staley's on the 2004 US Olympic team. So there are some behind-the-scenes connections there.

Perhaps the same is true for Urbana, which is a Ohio-based university.....

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/06/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

One could have the same question regarding USC's exhibition opponent Coker, who didn't do much better last season. But besides Coker being an in-state college, it's also coached by Gamecock Alum Shannon Johnson, who was also a teammate of Staley's on the 2004 US Olympic team. So there are some behind-the-scenes connections there.

Yeah, a lot of these are about connections. Stanford played UC SD because Tara's sister Heidi is the coach there. A lot of the games are just an opportunity to scrimmage against someone other than practice players and try out new offense/defense and get Freshman introduced to a new level of play.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/06/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Come on. I haven't seen a single game this year that comes even close to Maryland's double barrelled farce last year.

First they pounded rugged Bluefield State 146-17. Bluefield State did not score a single point in the second half. As a team they had 13 rebounds for the entire game and 51 TO's. And Brenda pretended this was a legitimate matchup: "I thought tonight was a good tuneup for us.". Oh sure.

But then they outdid themselves by playing Mary Baldwin University, a school of fewer than 700 total students that went 0-24 the previous year and shot 26% from the floor for the entire season. They only had eight players on their roster (4 FR, 3 SO, 1 JR) and the tallest was 5'10". The score in this one after one quarter of play was 48-2. Final was 153-27.

I'm not sure anyone will ever surpass that absurdity. When you figure out what the Buckeyes learned, take on an even bigger question of what purpose was served by Maryland's exhibitions last year.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/06/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/110517aab.html

DePaul won 128-77 in their exhibition. Dahlman was a great pickup for us. I expect her to really thrive in Bruno’s system.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/06/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
UCLA scrimmaged against Texas in Colorado last month and reports are Texas mopped the floor with the Bruins.

That doesn't surprise me. UCLA has underachieved for years now. They are kind of like Tenn in that they keep rating them high every year despite their perpetual underachievement.

Oregon St. beat Concordia 90-47. Five players in double figures. Gulich 21pts, Tudor 19pts ( five 3's), Kalmer 16 pts and Corosdale and Grymek with 10 a piece. Pivec had a strange double double of 12 assists and 11 rebounds.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/06/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
LitePal wrote:

That doesn't surprise me. UCLA has underachieved for years now.

When would you say is the period of time in which UCLA has not underachieved, as compared to recent years, in which UCLA has underachieved? When were the glory days for UCLAWBB, before this current period of underachievement commenced?

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/06/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
willtalk wrote:
LitePal wrote:

When would you say is the period of time in which UCLA has not underachieved, as compared to recent years, in which UCLA has underachieved? When were the glory days for UCLAWBB, before this current period of underachievement commenced?
I would agree that they haven't really accomplished much in my memory, but you couldn't really say that they have underachieved because nothing was really expected of them. The last few years people have had high expectations for them based purely on the level talent on their team but it never panned out in victories on the court.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/06/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
willtalk wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I would agree that they haven't really accomplished much in my memory, but you couldn't really say that they have underachieved because nothing was really expected of them. The last few years people have had high expectations for them based purely on the level talent on their team but it never panned out in victories on the court.

Okay.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/06/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In other words, they've always underachieved. Actually, the second year of Nikki Caldwell they did overachieve with a 2nd in conference 15-3 and second round appearance, after a T4th 9-9 and no tournament during her first. But yes, mediocrity is a way of life for UCLA womens basketball.

In the Texas scrimmage, without Boothe, UCLA went down by 18 points in the first quarter.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/06/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
willtalk wrote:
LitePal wrote:

They were pretty good with Ann Meyers.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/06/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think some of you might be confusing NOT ACHIEVING with Underachieving.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/07/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
In other words, they've always underachieved. Actually, the second year of Nikki Caldwell they did overachieve with a 2nd in conference 15-3 and second round appearance, after a T4th 9-9 and no tournament during her first.

So going out in the Round of 32 is overachieving but going out in the Sweet 16 is underachieving?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/07/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
willtalk wrote:
LitePal wrote:

So they've been underachieving since 1978?

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/07/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you compare what expectations are and what came before, yes, it was underachieving.

Right now, Coach Close is in the final year with her heralded recruiting class. Compare her achievements to Coach Aston or Coach Rueck, both of whom started at approximately the same time at their new schools as she did and it's obvious who is elite and who is not.

Last year UCLA was picked to finish first in conference and finished fourth. Again, UCLA is picked to finish first. We'll see what happens. Then again, UCLA has much bigger fish to fry, like football and mens basketball.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 11/07/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
In other words, they've always underachieved. Actually, the second year of Nikki Caldwell they did overachieve with a 2nd in conference 15-3 and second round appearance, after a T4th 9-9 and no tournament during her first. But yes, mediocrity is a way of life for UCLA womens basketball.

In the Texas scrimmage, without Boothe, UCLA went down by 18 points in the first quarter.

Texas has a team that has been playing together for the last 4 year also the students played on the same AAU the year before. They have Chemistry....Texas is a pretty good team.I think UCLA problem is relying on Canada too much .Billings should be the primary option.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/07/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If you compare what expectations are and what came before, yes, it was underachieving.

Okay, so if UCLA can just keep its expectations nice and low each year and go out in the round of 32, UCLA will have succeeded in consistently overachieving. I guess it's unfortunate for UCLA that expectations surrounding the program have risen and that they go out in the round of 16, thus underachieving. I guess UCLA needs to lose some more ballgames so their expectations can be lower so they can go out in the 2nd round and be lauded for it.

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/07/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, let's look at it this way. UCLA WILL lose more ballgames and even though polls rank them in the top 10, no one really believes they'll be there at the end of the season, so I guess they're not underachieving.

And regardless, a SS finish for a #1 class would be underachieving in any other program. And never a conference championship. Underachieving. Yes.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/07/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
willtalk wrote:
LitePal wrote:

So they've been underachieving since 1978?

I was just being snarky. I was never a fan of Kathy Olivier and believe she consistently underperformed as coach. In comparison I believe that Cori Close has done a pretty good job. I'll be rooting for them this year except when they play Cal.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/07/17 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they're not underperforming. Maybe they were just over-hyped.
Seriously, the UCLA senior class is very good, but they aren't such an overwhelmingly talented group as a whole that final fours were inevitable. A few other schools have equal or better or deeper talent.

So maybe the expectations and demands were just too high.

When considering coaching, I'd be more concerned about their frequently sloppy play than about their tournament finishes.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/07/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
When considering coaching, I'd be more concerned about their frequently sloppy play than about their tournament finishes.

UCLA's turnover margin and A/TO% were tops in the P12 last season. UCLA's turnover percentage last season (13.3) was 6th-best in the entire nation.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/07/17 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Yeah, a lot of these are about connections. Stanford played UC SD because Tara's sister Heidi is the coach there. A lot of the games are just an opportunity to scrimmage against someone other than practice players and try out new offense/defense and get Freshman introduced to a new level of play.

Absolutely a lot of the exhibitions are about connections. Tennessee's yearly exhibition with D-II Carson-Newman, which is 12 miles up I-40, is just that. It started probably 10 years ago or so and now has become routine. C-N gets whipped but usually goes home smiling because they've learned something, Tennessee gets a chance to try out new plays and give the freshmen some exposure, and the fans get a look at the team. Some fans are actually fans of both teams.

In the case of JMU, it's mostly an open scrimmage giving the fans a look at the new players and how the team will work this year. (For those wondering what happens after Precious Hall it was a nice surprise....hello, Kelly!).

PostPosted: 11/07/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Well, let's look at it this way. UCLA WILL lose more ballgames and even though polls rank them in the top 10, no one really believes they'll be there at the end of the season, so I guess they're not underachieving.

And regardless, a SS finish for a #1 class would be underachieving in any other program. And never a conference championship. Underachieving. Yes.

Okay. Currently UCLA women's basketball is-- as measured by basically any metric you'd like to cite-- on its best sustained run since 1978. I don't wanna tell other Bruin fans whether or not to be satisfied with that, so if you're dissatisfied, that's fine. It's absolutely your right. I, myself, am very happy with the state of the program, and with the culture that's been built within and around it. That's why I attend every home game, and it's why I personally donate thousands of dollars to the program each year. That's the choice I make, but other people can make different choices, and it's all good. Best to you, LitePal, and Go Bruins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: