RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nicki Collen ‘a top candidate’ for Dream head coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/01/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
So is he some kind of GM-Consultant now?

No one is quite sure what his future lies. Talking to Nicki tomorrow.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/05/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Randy wrote:
So is he some kind of GM-Consultant now?

No one is quite sure what his future lies. Talking to Nicki tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing it.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/05/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Did you get anything out of the Megdal podcast? It was 45 min.

I think Collen was a bit long-winded for his tastes. He prefers hearing himself talk. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 11/05/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

I think Collen was a bit long-winded for his tastes. He prefers hearing himself talk. Wink

Got tired of it waiting to start - at least two commercials.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/06/17 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Got tired of it waiting to start - at least two commercials.

I waited for 5 minutes of "stuff" (seemed more entertainment reporting than commercials) until I finally realized that the video at the top has nothing to do with the podcast which is a link below the text.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/06/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/06/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out.

Had to postpone last week, talking to her today.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/06/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, we know now from Shades link that peanut butter is the food she could not live without and that if she weren't coaching she would run a coffee shop. So you can skip those questions. Not that they aren't important questions. Dream usually have those questions for fans to guess during one of their game break contests. Laughing

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/06/17 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Well, we know now from Shades link that peanut butter is the food she could not live without and that if she weren't coaching she would run a coffee shop. So you can skip those questions. Not that they aren't important questions. Dream usually have those questions for fans to guess during one of their game break contests. Laughing

good stuff. I think you'll like Randy. Probably tomorrow.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/08/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here you go Randy!

https://www.fanragsports.com/dishin-and-swishin-nicki-collen-is-living-the-dream/

And she has been talking to Angel apparently... Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 11/08/17 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn't waste any time taking a shot at Michael Cooper. "I'm not going to be sitting down much."

PostPosted: 11/08/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great interview! Thanks for posting it. Seems as though Angel will be back, and Sancho is UFA and some question as to whether she comes back. Hopefully she is right about Dantas' potential.

I didn't really see that comment as a swipe at Cooper, but then maybe I'm just not that perceptive.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/09/17 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Great interview! Thanks for posting it. Seems as though Angel will be back, and Sancho is UFA and some question as to whether she comes back. Hopefully she is right about Dantas' potential.

I didn't really see that comment as a swipe at Cooper, but then maybe I'm just not that perceptive.

Thanks Randy, glad you enjoyed it.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/09/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found her comments about the Dream needing a 3 point shooter interesting. Cooper said the same thing when he was hired. I recall Meadors signing Laurie Koehn who could hit 3's but couldn't do much else.

She also identified need for a backup PG. Seems to me Lelani Mitchell would be perfect, but I doubt that has any chance of happening. Crying or Very sad

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/09/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I found her comments about the Dream needing a 3 point shooter interesting. Cooper said the same thing when he was hired. I recall Meadors signing Laurie Koehn who could hit 3's but couldn't do much else.

She also identified need for a backup PG. Seems to me Lelani Mitchell would be perfect, but I doubt that has any chance of happening. Crying or Very sad

I liked the comment about Amber Stocks saying no backs on the trade of the number one draft pick. Lets you know how much she'd like to have that pick to work with.

Going to be tough to work on the roster without a #1, only via trade and FAs.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/09/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best hope is maybe Dream get lucky with their 2nd round pick, as we did with Hayes and Bentley. Not something you can count on. Dream have never gained much via FA. They have usually been lucky to keep their own players. For ex, we lost Harding and Herrington to FA. Seems to me, it is pretty much up to the players we have already. I hope they don't make trades, unless its something like pick up a Clarendon for a bag of chips type deal.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/09/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Best hope is maybe Dream get lucky with their 2nd round pick, as we did with Hayes and Bentley. Not something you can count on. Dream have never gained much via FA. They have usually been lucky to keep their own players. For ex, we lost Harding and Herrington to FA. Seems to me, it is pretty much up to the players we have already. I hope they don't make trades, unless its something like pick up a Clarendon for a bag of chips type deal.

It's not like you totally lost a first round pick and didn't get something in return. You got a vet who was a starter for the team and a third year prospect.

I'm not sure how adding a three point shooter helps them when they're already loaded at guard. When would they see the floor with McCoughtry back and already having Hayes, Clarendon, and Sykes. Add a three point shooting backup PG who will see 10 around mpg? Maybe, but good luck with that. It'd probably be best to get a system to improve the three point shooting of the players you already have like the Lynx implemented.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/09/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easiest way to improve Dream 3 point shooting is for most of the players to quit taking them. I believe only Hayes and Sykes* shot above 30% last year. Angel is below 29% for her career also. Pretty simple system.

If it were that easy to find a good 3 point shooter who can do other things as well, they would have probably found one during the 10 years of looking.

*Excludes Young due to small sample size (3-9).

tfan

PostPosted: 11/10/17 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She didn't waste any time taking a shot at Michael Cooper. "I'm not going to be sitting down much."

What's the order of WNBA coach sitting time? If Cooper is at the top, I think Laimbeer might be second. Who's at the bottom - Jenny Boucek? Agler?

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/10/17 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

What's the order of WNBA coach sitting time? If Cooper is at the top, I think Laimbeer might be second. Who's at the bottom - Jenny Boucek? Agler?

The sitting-down part doesn't really matter -- but Cooper has been a failure as a coach at every level, and from what I've heard is he just never worked as hard as the other coaches.

PostPosted: 11/10/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

The sitting-down part doesn't really matter -- but Cooper has been a failure as a coach at every level, and from what I've heard is he just never worked as hard as the other coaches.

He was 105-25 with two championships with the Sparks, so he's also been a success at one level. If he's a bad coach, his tenure with the Sparks would be more evidence that the it's the players who should get the vast majority of the credit for the outcome.

Last edited by tfan on 11/10/17 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 11/10/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

He was 105-25 with two championships with the Sparks, so he's also been a success at one level. If he's a bad coach, his tenure with the Sparks would be more evidence that the coach is small potatoes in the outcome compared to the players.

The quality of coaching in the league is much higher than it was in the early 2000's.

PostPosted: 11/10/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

He was 105-25 with two championships with the Sparks, so he's also been a success at one level. If he's a bad coach, his tenure with the Sparks would be more evidence that the coach is small potatoes in the outcome compared to the players.

The quality of coaching in the league is much higher than it was in the early 2000's.

The quality of everything is better, except maybe the refereeing.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/10/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coaching must have improved tremendously if an assistant with 2 years experience in the WNBA is superior to a guy with a couple of decades of coaching experience in pro and college, men and women, rings in the NBA, WNBA and d-league. But, maybe he was just resting on his laurels. Hopefully we won't go through 2 seasons of missteps like we did the last time we made a change of coaches and hired a new GM.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/10/17 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Brian Agler Measurement 2000-2002 33-50 (.3976) 2010-2017 160-112 (.5883)
BAM says coaching in 2010's is inferior to Cooper first LA stint era (2000-2004)

Lin Dunn Measurement 2000-2002 33-63 (.3475) 2010-2014 96-74 (.5647)
LDM says coaching in 2010's is inferior to Cooper first LA stint era (2000-2004)

Dan Hughes Measurement 2000-2003 66-64 (.5077) 2011-2016 82-122 (.4019)
DHM says coaching in 2010's superior to Cooper first LA stint era (2000-2004)

AglerDunnHughes Measurement - 132-177 (.4272) in 2000-2004 period, 338-308 in 2010's (0.5232)
ADHM says coaching in 2010's inferior to Cooper first LA stint era (2000-2004)

In looking up Cooper's WNBA record I notice that he was 72-52 overall at USC (41-31 in conference) and 50-48 (with one league championship) in 2 seasons in the D league. He was 4-10 as an interim NBA coach. Looking at that record I don't see the won/loss records I would expect for a "failure as a coach at every level." He was fired by Atlanta and USC, but Agler was fired by Kansas State and Minnesota. Reeve was fired at Indiana State, her only other head coaching position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: