RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nicki Collen ‘a top candidate’ for Dream head coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 10/30/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
That's a scary thought - Angel getting to pick the coach now.

Angel McGM as a requirement to play?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/30/17 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I am humbled at the opportunity to become the next Head Coach of the Atlanta Dream and incredibly proud to be associated with a league that empowers women in such a positive way," Collen said. "I want to thank owners Mary Brock and Kelly Loeffler, as well as team President Theresa Wenzel for believing in me and what we can accomplish together. I was blown away by their passion and commitment to the Dream and to the city of Atlanta"

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/30/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream's initial release on the hiring.

http://sun.wnba.com/news/nicki-collen-coach-atlanta-dream/

Quote:
The Atlanta Dream announced today that it has hired Nicki Collen as the new head coach of the team. Collen served as an assistant coach with the Connecticut Sun for the past two seasons under head coach Curt Miller.

“I want to personally congratulate Nicki Collen on her opportunity to lead the Atlanta Dream,” head coach Curt Miller said Monday. “Nicki is an outstanding coach and has been a great friend for nearly 20 years. It was a pleasure to work alongside of her and I want to thank her for all of her hard work and dedication in helping us grow over the last two seasons. The entire Connecticut Sun organization wishes her and her family all the best in Atlanta.”

Shades

PostPosted: 10/30/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ajc.com/sports/former-suns-assistant-nicki-collen-named-atlanta-dream-head-coach/ONeOD6Aq6yDsqUigtjMrkM/

Quote:
A former college player at Purdue and Marquette, Collen started interviewing for the head coaching position in early October through phone interviews with Wenzel and owners Kelly Loeffler and Mary Brock.

Quote:
Collen, 42, said last week she flew to Atlanta for a face-to-face interview and, to her surprise, was offered the job.

“I was pretty flabbergasted,” Collen said. “I didn’t expect them to be offered on the interview and it just kind of made it feel very real, very fast and it just kind of showed the commitment level that they have that they felt like I was the best person to lead the Dream forward and kind of made it a lot easier to move forward.”

“Nicki brings impressive basketball and coaching credentials along with great leadership qualities and we are thrilled to welcome her to the Atlanta Dream,” Dream owners Kelly Loeffler and Mary Brock said in a statement. “We believe her strong emphasis on player development alongside a disciplined offensive and defensive system will position our talented team to be a playoff contender.”

Quote:
As an Eastern Conference assitant coach, Collen has already been able to work with Dream guard Tiffany Hayes, guard Layshia Clarendon and center Elizabeth Williams. Collen also spent some time with a younger Angel McCoughtry when she was recruited and signed by Louisville in 2005.

Quote:
“I think it’s an incredibly talented roster,” Collen said. “There are three All-Stars and that starting lineup from the season and obviously if Angel McCoughtry's coming back you have an Olympian, I legitimate MVP type player. Lots of great pieces... As a coach it’s exciting to think about all the things that I could do, that I could run, offensively, defensively and take advantage of the strengths of the Dream roster.”

Oops, I wonder if she let something slip there. They're not sure yet if she's coming back?

toad455

PostPosted: 10/30/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it makes you wonder if McCoughtry is either 1.) Done playing in the WNBA, 2.) Will ask to be traded or 3.) Will simply sit out another season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/30/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So it makes you wonder if McCoughtry is either 1.) Done playing in the WNBA, 2.) Will ask to be traded or 3.) Will simply sit out another season.

What does? The fact that Collen used the word 'if'? All that shows is that they don't know anything until McCoughtry actually signs a contract and actually shows up to play. Which we knew already. Nothing's changed.

PostPosted: 10/31/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream anticipate Angel's return next season.

Biggest question is who is the GM/Player Personnel boss? No answers given or even suggested in the press release.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/31/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The Dream anticipate Angel's return next season.

Not sounding rock solid, is it? I would have thought by now there would be more clarification. There was that article where McCoughtry said it "wouldn't be fair to come back at the end of the season", so at that point it did sound like she was coming back.

Randy wrote:
Biggest question is who is the GM/Player Personnel boss? No answers given or even suggested in the press release.

Been wondering that for a while, ever since Taylor left. Usually it seems like the president of the team takes on that role if no GM is specified.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If she does get hired I hope there is a DNS podcast as was the case with the Seattle hiring. I'm sure the fans will have plenty of questions. I know I do.

Yes sir....ask away.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is a mystery for sure. Don't see the team prez having the background, but who knows. Another question is what is the coaching staff going to look like. Cooper's assistants are now gone from the Dream web page.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Randy wrote:
If she does get hired I hope there is a DNS podcast as was the case with the Seattle hiring. I'm sure the fans will have plenty of questions. I know I do.

Yes sir....ask away.

So - what is she looking for in assistants? Does she see need for roster changes? What would they look for in FA or the Draft (albeit only with a second round pick.) Does she handle GM duties or who does?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Randy wrote:

Yes sir....ask away.

So - what is she looking for in assistants? Does she see need for roster changes? What would they look for in FA or the Draft (albeit only with a second round pick.) Does she handle GM duties or who does?

If they were making her GM, that would have been part of the hiring announcement. But I'm guessing she'll get the player movement she wants as long as it's financially viable. Haven't heard anything to suggest that the Dream front office is very hands-on.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess we can say one thing - Collen is "Shades approved." Smile

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/31/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The job search was run by a former GM in the league.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/31/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I'm a little surprised there isn't more approval being shown here. There's a bunch being shown on twitter.

Quote:

As soon as the Atlanta Dream hired new head coach Nicki Collen, the internet erupted with notes of praise about the move. Below are some quotes from our the web. Also, make sure to take a read through this interview with the AJC HERE.

“I had the opportunity to be coached by and spend time with Nicki Collen for the 2017 All Star game. Her energy and passion for the game were apparent in the short amount of time we spent together. I’m thrilled to have the chance to play for her and see where we can continue to grow and lead the Dream Organization forward.”
Layshia Clarendon – Dream Guard

“I had the pleasure of speaking with Coach Nicki Collen over the phone today. With her fresh ideas and vast basketball knowledge and experience, she can definitely help develop us into a championship team. I really look forward to working with her!
Elizabeth Williams – Dream Center

“GREAT hire. Many times last season while in the Sun huddle, I thought to myself, Nicki Collen is ready to a head coach soon.”
Holly Rowe – ESPN

“Congrats Nicki Collen on being selected as the new Head Coach Atlanta Dream! Best wishes to you, Tom and the kids!”
Debbie Antonelli – Women’s Basketball Analyst

Last edited by Shades on 10/31/17 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/31/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

I'm a little surprised there isn't more approval being shown here. There's a bunch being shown on twitter.

I am cautiously optimistic

PostPosted: 10/31/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The press release doesn't say anything about her being the GM. Is that just an oversight or are they planning on hiring a GM as well?

Randy

PostPosted: 10/31/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Care to elaborate?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/31/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Sienko

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/01/17 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Randy wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Sienko

Yes, I tweeted it yesterday.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/01/17 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know much about this Collen, but I am excited by this hire. I am thrilled to see new names moving up, rather than the same folks being retreaded over and over. We still see the likes of Pokey and Hughes failing into new jobs, but seeing that supplemented with names like Stocks, Miller, and Collen is great for the league.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/01/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PODCAST: Nicki Collen talks Atlanta Dream and her pathway to coaching

https://summitthoops.com/2017/11/01/podcast-nicki-collen-talks-atlanta-dream/

Collen sounds like she expects Angel to be back next season

PostPosted: 11/01/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Randy wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Sienko

You were my source. Wink I just forgot to put your tweet up. Sad

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/01/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Randy wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Sienko

You were my source. Wink I just forgot to put your tweet up. Sad

That's okay, I forgot to come back here and post who it was!

Randy

PostPosted: 11/01/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is he some kind of GM-Consultant now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: