RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft lottery postponed from tomorrow to ''a later date''
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I have to believe the announcement was delayed as the sale of the Stars was in the works and almost finalized. PPD it until it's a done deal so Las Vegas can get their first TV exposure with the lottery and likely the #1 pick. I also believe Las Vegas will have a name/logo by then. If the sale hadn't started, I tend to believe the lottery would have happened as scheduled. I don't think the Spurs would have folded the team if a sale wasn't in the works.

Hmm... somebody who understands marketing. Also, why would San Antonio want to show up at the lottery if they no longer want to own the team?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

It worked for Clint Eastwood at the 2012 Republican Convention, didn't it? Razz

Didn't work out too well for the Republican party. How many people even remember Mitt Romney was the Presidential candidate?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/26/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why a sale and move of a team warranted postponing the draft lottery. It's not like the new owners have any input or decision to make. There was no change to the lottery.

Maybe the Vegas group asked them to postpone and the league, having no real reason not to, agreed. Postponing the lottery a couple of weeks isn't that big a deal.

Especially when it can now be done on an NCAA game night, which makes more sense than in the middle of nowhere.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/26/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why a sale and move of a team warranted postponing the draft lottery. It's not like the new owners have any input or decision to make. There was no change to the lottery.

Maybe the Vegas group asked them to postpone and the league, having no real reason not to, agreed. Postponing the lottery a couple of weeks isn't that big a deal.

Especially when it can now be done on an NCAA game night, which makes more sense than in the middle of nowhere.

I do hope it can be done right when the season starts though. You want to the teams to know where they stand when they are scouting.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/26/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I do hope it can be done right when the season starts though. You want to the teams to know where they stand when they are scouting.

Pretty sure each teams front office has a list of players to scout so it should not really effect that portion . Players 1-8 will most likely be scouted by every team within reach of draft position.

PostPosted: 10/26/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Pretty sure each teams front office has a list of players to scout so it should not really effect that portion . Players 1-8 will most likely be scouted by every team within reach of draft position.

But teams should have information. It might affect the kind of trade you would consider, which means you might look at different players. What you think you will get in the first round might affect who you might look at for later rounds.

I can't imagine teams won't want that information before they start scouting.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/26/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It will be.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/26/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It will be.

It's too bad S Carolina and Ohio State (with the likely two top picks) don't play. It would be very cool to have them play a televised game during the tip-off weekend and do the televised lottery on court at halftime.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/26/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It wasn't ever going to be done in the "middle of nowhere", it was going to be done during the height of the WNBA playoffs, before all those people who follow the WNBA and NOT women's college basketball, go back into hibernation. That made a heck of a lot more sense.

How many people do you think are motivated to buy season tickets because they watch they watched the WNBA draft lottery? I estimate zero. How many people do you you think will even watch the WNBA draft lottery. I mean, picking names out of a hat is so compelling. I estimate not many more than zero.

They would never have had an empty chair. Ruth Riley probably would have been in the chair as the current GM. So what. A deal isn't done 'till its done, and until them, the current owners keep doing what they need to do as owners. Having handled lots of much bigger transactions than this, I can assure you this is not unusual or difficult to deal with. Happens every day.

I suppose it make sense to move it if your assumption is that the alternative was to have it "in the middle of nowhere" with an empty chair on stage for the most likely #1 selection. But of course when you realize neither of those things was ever going to happen, then it's a different comparison.

I think the only result of this postponement is to shrink the likely audience to next to nothing, when there was no reason to do so.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/26/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

But teams should have information. It might affect the kind of trade you would consider, which means you might look at different players. What you think you will get in the first round might affect who you might look at for later rounds.

I can't imagine teams won't want that information before they start scouting.

The draft isn't for five months. The lottery affects a whopping four choices. Even if the season was already well underway before the lottery, there's nobody picking in the top four picks who isn't scouting and recruiting all of the top 10 players.

The NBA draft lottery is held after the college season is completely over, less than a month before the draft is held. Doesn't seem to present a big problem in terms of scouting or trades. Why exactly does the WNBA need to know a half a year in advance?

BTW, the delay here was two months, not a "couple of weeks" as someone indicated.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/26/17 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The draft lottery is a made for TV event. At this point it makes sense to have it at halftime of a big college game on ESPN. I think a Big Monday in February would leave enough time for teams to consider and implement trade strategies. No one will really care (other than some people on this board) until then.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/26/17 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Postponing the draft allows for ESPN to promote the new team in Las Vegas, a team coached by former NBA player Bill Laimbeer. That is enough to get a few minutes of coverage here and there after the lottery, casual fans will know who the new coach is and it will increase visibility for the new franchise. Laimbeer is an angle, Las Vegas is an angle, and if Las Vegas gets the #1 pick (at the beginning of the college season allegedly the draft will be held during a SC game on Nov 13th) ESPN will be able to mention the new franchise in association with any ESPN televised college games featuring SC, UCONN or Ohio St., so I can can see why the W and ESPN would want to wait until the deal was done and coach/GM was in place. Even if it has a minimal affect it is more of a positive than having a draft where the team with the best odds to win the #1 pick basically disappears after the lottery, and a new team, in a new location, with a new name misses out on the opportunity to get its name out there in the off-season.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/17 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
ESPN will be able to mention the new franchise in association with any ESPN televised college games featuring SC, UCONN or Ohio St., .

And if they had had the lottery in September instead of November, what would stop ESPN from mentioning in January the new Las Vegas franchise or that it has the first pick in the upcoming draft? Don't understand the difference. Please explain.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/27/17 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The draft lottery is a made for TV event. At this point it makes sense to have it at halftime of a big college game on ESPN. I think a Big Monday in February would leave enough time for teams to consider and implement trade strategies. No one will really care (other than some people on this board) until then.

While I don't think it's particularly necessary to have the lottery done in time for the college season to start, I do think it should be done before free agency begins in January. Which pick you have could affect the moves you make, such as Las Vegas being less likely to search for a new post if they know they have the #1 and are almost certainly taking Wilson.

At the very latest they'd probably do it at the owners' meetings, which I believe are usually in December.

PostPosted: 10/27/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It wasn't ever going to be done in the "middle of nowhere", it was going to be done during the height of the WNBA playoffs, before all those people who follow the WNBA and NOT women's college basketball, go back into hibernation. That made a heck of a lot more sense.

How many people do you think are motivated to buy season tickets because they watch they watched the WNBA draft lottery? I estimate zero. How many people do you you think will even watch the WNBA draft lottery. I mean, picking names out of a hat is so compelling. I estimate not many more than zero.

They would never have had an empty chair. Ruth Riley probably would have been in the chair as the current GM. So what. A deal isn't done 'till its done, and until them, the current owners keep doing what they need to do as owners. Having handled lots of much bigger transactions than this, I can assure you this is not unusual or difficult to deal with. Happens every day.

I suppose it make sense to move it if your assumption is that the alternative was to have it "in the middle of nowhere" with an empty chair on stage for the most likely #1 selection. But of course when you realize neither of those things was ever going to happen, then it's a different comparison.

I think the only result of this postponement is to shrink the likely audience to next to nothing, when there was no reason to do so.

I was referring to the alternatives after the first was canceled.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/27/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
ESPN will be able to mention the new franchise in association with any ESPN televised college games featuring SC, UCONN or Ohio St., .

And if they had had the lottery in September instead of November, what would stop ESPN from mentioning in January the new Las Vegas franchise or that it has the first pick in the upcoming draft? Don't understand the difference. Please explain.

Yes they could still mention it if it was in September but it would be something like "The San Antonio Stars won the lottery, and then relocated to Las Vegas and became the whatevers retaining the pick and they will be looking at these great players for their choice" now it can be "The exciting new franchise the Las Vegas whatever won the lottery so GM Bill Laimbeer will be keeping his eye on this game." A subtle difference but I'm sure one that sounds a little more positive.

And that point along with the others I made in my post is why I believe the W decided to postpone the lottery. It allows them to put a more positive spin on the new franchise and promote the name and location of the new franchise as part of the lottery proceedings.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Yes they could still mention it if it was in September but it would be something like "The San Antonio Stars won the lottery, and then relocated to Las Vegas and became the whatevers retaining the pick and they will be looking at these great players for their choice" now it can be "The exciting new franchise the Las Vegas whatever won the lottery so GM Bill Laimbeer will be keeping his eye on this game." A subtle difference but I'm sure one that sounds a little more positive.

And that point along with the others I made in my post is why I believe the W decided to postpone the lottery. It allows them to put a more positive spin on the new franchise and promote the name and location of the new franchise as part of the lottery proceedings.

No, it would be a simple "The _______ start off their new life in Las Vegas with the first pick in the he draft." Followed by a discussion of possible picks.

If they are going to explain where the LV team came from, they still need your first part. If they're not, they don't need it. Nothing is changed by when the lottery was drawn or what their name was at that moment. Nothing.

The whole postponment/month of silence and speculation just reinforced the WNBA's image of confusion and ineptitude. If they weren't ready to announce it, they should have just gone about their business as previously announced and planned.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/27/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

No, it would be a simple "The _______ start off their new life in Las Vegas with the first pick in the he draft." Followed by a discussion of possible picks.

If they are going to explain where the LV team came from, they still need your first part. If they're not, they don't need it. Nothing is changed by when the lottery was drawn or what their name was at that moment. Nothing.

The whole postponment/month of silence and speculation just reinforced the WNBA's image of confusion and ineptitude. If they weren't ready to announce it, they should have just gone about their business as previously announced and planned.

Im just offering some rreasons why I think they postponed the draft. They obviously did it for a reason im offering some options as to why they may have done it. That's all.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Im just offering some rreasons why I think they postponed the draft. They obviously did it for a reason im offering some options as to why they may have done it. That's all.

You give them far more credit than I do. This certainly wouldn't be the first brain-dead decision the WNBA has made. I don't assume it was well thought out or that there was a good reason.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/30/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

You give them far more credit than I do. This certainly wouldn't be the first brain-dead decision the WNBA has made. I don't assume it was well thought out or that there was a good reason.

Actually, it feels like you are assuming that it WASN'T well thought out and are choosing to dismiss any of the reasons given as making no sense to your logic system. I could certainly see the new team wanting their new coach to be represented at the draft lottery, especially if they get that top pick again. It can then be used for promotion in a way that having Ruth Riley holding up that #1 card definitely couldn't. And really, it's a pretty small group of people who care enough to follow it in the offseason.

Now, if they do it on November 13th as rumored, it would be during the South Carolina game which just happens to feature the presumed top pick. It will make a bit more of an impression at that moment than it would have during the Finals anyway.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/31/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, the lottery isn't really big news, and in terms of the ESPN/national audience, I don't think it is either. Though we agree, for the most part, that A'ja Wilson will be the top pick, I don't think she's a "star" like EDD or Diggins, and I don't think casual fans think she'll light up the league.

So hold the lottery whenever ... delaying it so Las Vegas could be in place makes perfect sense since public anticipation (outside this board) was pretty much non-existent.

PostPosted: 10/31/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Actually, it feels like you are assuming that it WASN'T well thought out and are choosing to dismiss any of the reasons given as making no sense to your logic system. I could certainly see the new team wanting their new coach to be represented at the draft lottery, especially if they get that top pick again. It can then be used for promotion in a way that having Ruth Riley holding up that #1 card definitely couldn't. And really, it's a pretty small group of people who care enough to follow it in the offseason.

Now, if they do it on November 13th as rumored, it would be during the South Carolina game which just happens to feature the presumed top pick. It will make a bit more of an impression at that moment than it would have during the Finals anyway.

Don't undersell the fact Prez Borders was in Minnesota giving Syl MVP and not available for the broadcast in ESPN studios like last year.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Don't undersell the fact Prez Borders was in Minnesota giving Syl MVP and not available for the broadcast in ESPN studios like last year.

Which in fairness really just makes the original organisation even dumber. If that's going to be a factor in cancelling it at the last minute, don't schedule them at the same damn time thousands of miles apart.

While I do think that ArtBest23 is being a bit picky on this issue, it's a fair point that it's all been a bit of a mess. What generally mitigates that is what ClayK basically said - there's virtually no one who gives a damn.

PostPosted: 10/31/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason David presents is the first one that makes any sense, but it certainly doesn't mitigate the ineptitude.

Let's see. Who controlled the choice of when to give out the MVP award and could easily have chosen a different game? Oh yeah. The same person who needed to be 800 miles away that night.

The various Las Vegas-centric excuses that were ginned up here truly weren't very convincing.

In the end Clay is correct that it's all irrelevant. Nobody really cares.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/01/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/2018-wnba-draft-lottery-presented-state-farm-take-place-espn2-nov-13/

Quote:
The 2018 WNBA Draft Lottery presented by State Farm will be conducted on Monday, Nov. 13, in Secaucus, N.J.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: