RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

First charges filed in Mueller investigation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 10/27/17 10:39 pm    ::: First charges filed in Mueller investigation Reply Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/politics/first-charges-mueller-investigation/index.html

Quote:
The charges are still sealed under orders from a federal judge. Plans were prepared Friday for anyone charged to be taken into custody as soon as Monday, the sources said. It is unclear what the charges are.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/28/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm going with Flynn as the first person to be indicted. we'll find out Monday. Smile

PostPosted: 10/28/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
i'm going with Flynn as the first person to be indicted. we'll find out Monday. Smile

My guess is Marla Maples.

stever

PostPosted: 10/28/17 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d7Uy0Uznw4E" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/28/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I so hope that Jr. and Kuchner are indicted.

Ultimately, it would be fabulous if the entire admin is indicted. From Trump all the way to the Pence's rabbits!!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/28/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I so hope that Jr. and Kuchner are indicted.

Ultimately, it would be fabulous if the entire admin is indicted. From Trump all the way to the Pence's rabbits!!!!

Well, I've said this so many times and been burned by my own naivete but I can't help myself. In THIS case, I'm sure, that Mueller and his team know exactly what they're doing.

Shocked

Okay, the sky didn't fall. But it's only been a minute so...

My guess is Manifort. Build the case slowly after he's flipped.

The ultimate of course would be the POTUS himself in an absolute slam dunk of a blockbuster indictment of some sort. It's possible, I think. Actually inevitable from what I can see but what do I know.

Short of that, yes, family members. Which might cause Trump to fire Mueller and then the shit would hit the fan Nixon style. But Trump might decide at that point that he's done anyway and might as well stand up for the kin folk.

But I would like to say that... geez... post something like that, Trump or his family being indicted, even the removal from office... God be careful what you wish for. Because something like that is honestly far less preferable than Trump learning to be a better president and making it through a first term and then losing in the next election. The circle of hell we all will enter if the POTUS, this POTUS, is indicted and removed from office will be something most people aren't properly imagining. Bloody hell. Forever.

And that's short and long term. But then just the short term. Looks like this. I think of Trump as being a variation on Reagan. Not smart enough to understand all the things going on all around him. Like in the White House basement and everywhere else. Trump is, however, a far more sinister character but also someone who scares the hell out of everyone even those around him. And they've been slow, mostly because of him and the incompetence of his people, in putting together all the machinery of governing. That wasn't the case with Reagan. Reagan's people were all super smart and came in working around the old man from day one.

But over time, the vermin that represents a certain ideology has been moving in and around the Trump administration. Their numbers are increasing and they're getting to work in doing exactly what an ideology set upon destroying government regulation and oversight would be up to. And their greatest champion is and will be Mike Pence. Ponder that as reality. Trump, however, as unacceptable as he is on so many levels, is at least unpredictable and vindictive when he's crossed or embarassed. Something happens that he doesn't like, and we've seen this over and over again now, Trump will say something like, "He's a good man." And that's kind of the end of that motherfucker.

All that ends with Mike Pence as president. Pence will be in on the meetings. They'll be able to get their ducks together and they'll be able to work with congress. The thing about Trump's administration so far that has been a saving grace is that it's not organized and the figure head, the coach, is a dumb ass. It's scary to think what would happen if Trump came in with some experience at high level elective office. Pence, who has been elected to both congress and a governorship, as POTUS, should really scare people. He , like Trump, has no business ever being in that position. But he will be sitting there. He might not be as inclined to get us into a hot war with North Korea but that's about the only bright spot I can think of in terms of his replacing Trump at the top spot. That is something though.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/28/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mueller was working with the NY state attorney. I’m guessing Manafort.

PostPosted: 10/28/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why doesn't anyone think it's flynn? he was more and longer associated with the trump campaign. and he strikes me as a punk who'd cave quickly.

i'm also puzzled that the nyt hasn't presented/reported this story. wonder if it's just that they can't independently corroborate it, or it's something else - like they're not reporting it (yet) on some ethical or other grounds. very curious.

PostPosted: 10/28/17 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
why doesn't anyone think it's flynn? he was more and longer associated with the trump campaign. and he strikes me as a punk who'd cave quickly.

i'm also puzzled that the nyt hasn't presented/reported this story. wonder if it's just that they can't independently corroborate it, or it's something else - like they're not reporting it (yet) on some ethical or other grounds. very curious.

guess you missed my post above. Smile plus Flynn might have a weak spot with his son, another little weasel.

PostPosted: 10/28/17 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
sambista wrote:

guess you missed my post above. Smile plus Flynn might have a weak spot with his son, another little weasel.

i did miss it. sorry!

PostPosted: 10/28/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="jammerbirdi"]
Ex-Ref wrote:

All that ends with Mike Pence as president. Pence will be in on the meetings. They'll be able to get their ducks together and they'll be able to work with congress. The thing about Trump's administration so far that has been a saving grace is that it's not organized and the figure head, the coach, is a dumb ass. It's scary to think what would happen if Trump came in with some experience at high level elective office. Pence, who has been elected to both congress and a governorship, as POTUS, should really scare people. He , like Trump, has no business ever being in that position. But he will be sitting there. He might not be as inclined to get us into a hot war with North Korea but that's about the only bright spot I can think of in terms of his replacing Trump at the top spot. That is something though.

I think that I was on of the first on here that that said that we didn't want Pence as POTUS even more than we didn't want the current asshole in the WH.

He scares me more than the asshole in the WH. One of my biggest fears is that the asshole in the WH will wait until year 3 of his term and then resign. Then we'd be looking at the possibility of 10 years of a Pence admin.
Shocked

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/28/17 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

I've been wondering that too. It's very weird.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/28/17 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

That would be my second choice. But, I have the feeling Manafort is the one Mueller thinks will talk, given state charges may be able to be filed against him (meaning Trump can't Pardon).

PostPosted: 10/29/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buzzfeed has an article that says that the FBI has been looking into suspicious wire transfers back in 2012 and 2013 by companies linked to Manafort.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/30/17 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CNN is reporting that Jared Kushner has left the country unannounced.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/29/politics/kushner-saudi-arabia-trip/index.html

PostPosted: 10/30/17 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this just in, at the top of the nyt site:

President Trump's ex-campaign chairman Paul Manafort and former business associate Rick Gates were told to surrender to federal authorities

PostPosted: 10/30/17 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

seems a bit anticlimactic, but, if i'm speeding-reading correctly, the manafort charges have come now probably because of a focus on his tax returns of 2010 in particular, and the statute of limitations was about to run out.

or not. like i said, i'm speed-reading/listening.

PostPosted: 10/30/17 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CNN has someone named Sean Duffy on who is saying that the charges could all be "pre-campaign" and Alisyn Camerota is trying hard to get him to say that that will hurt Trump. But he will not go along with her suggestion that even if it is all pre-campaign that he "brought his mess to Trump".

Duffy thinks that with the leaking that has been going on, if there was something related to campaign-collusion with Russia, we would know about it.

Several CNN guests are talking about a possible "statute of limitations" deadline, which means they think the charges could be related to something with Manafort pre-campaign.

Rick Gates was both a part of the Trump campaign, and a former Manafort business associate, so his involvement doesn't narrow it down as to whether it is pre-campaign.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/30/17 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay my second guess was Amorosa and third was Gary Bussey.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/30/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lawyer just said we will know the charges before the end of the day. Chris Cuomo quickly says that "there could be more charges in the future!" in case they are pre-campaign charges. He also adds that "Rick Gates is now uniquely motivated to tell these guys what he knows". Someone earlier suggested that if the charges were pre-campaign, they could use them to cut a deal so that Manafort would also "tell them what he knows".

The hour turns and Poppy Harlow tells us to remember that "this is the man who was in full charge of President Trump's campaign for 5 months". It seems like these CNN anchors are not gonna be happy if this is pre-campaign stuff.

Someone just read the charges and I think it was all pre-campaign stuff. "Money laundering" was mentioned in one of 13 counts. CNN highlights that one charge was "conspiracy against the United States", which someone says "relates to tax offenses".

Some guest suggest that Gates is a problem for Trump since he stayed on longer - through the inauguration. Don't see that unless it can be shown that he made a confession one night to Trump and company about what he did back before he joined the campaign.

Jeff Toobin says that the Trump campaign is not mentioned in the indictment, but it mentions statements that Manafort made during the time he worked for the campaign.

Guess now saying that maybe Mueller is trying to get Manafort to flip, or plead guilty and have a cooperation deal. Although, if that turned out to be the case, Manafort would be working against the one person who could pardon him.

Last edited by tfan on 10/30/17 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 10/30/17 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i heard the charges on tv but see nothing online. the first sounded ominous, not having to do with taxes but about somehow acting against the interests of the united states.

PostPosted: 10/30/17 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

12 charges, apparently.

PostPosted: 10/30/17 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

The hour turns and Poppy Harlow tells us to remember that "this is the man who was in full charge of President Trump's campaign for 5 months". It seems like these CNN anchors are not gonna be happy if this is pre-campaign stuff.

Someone just read the charges and I think it was all pre-campaign stuff. "Money laundering" was mentioned in one of 13 counts. CNN highlights that one charge was "conspiracy against the United States", which someone says "relates to tax offenses".

Well they should be happy because it matters not whether Mueller mined Manifort’s pre-campaign life for chargeable offenses in their effort to ultimately get to Trump. The idea is to wrap up Manifort tightly in a blanket woven of his own misdeeds, not anyone else’s. The seriousness of the charges against Manifort himself is more important than their having any connection to Trump at all. Whatever it takes to cause Manifort the most pain possible is the way to get him to give them what he knows on Trump.

Honestly, however, I don’t think it’s going to be much or damning. But that doesn’t matter either IMO because I think Mueller already has Trump and the family members. He’s just being methodical and making sure that everyone who should be punished, is indicted and put through the process. If nothing shakes out of Manifort that’s his hard luck. I think the fact that he was indicted at all, and especially for the pre-campaign crimes, means (to me) that Mueller has Trump.

sambista

PostPosted: 10/30/17 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the nyt page showing the actual charges can't even load!

PostPosted: 10/30/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

count 1: conspiracy against the united states

looking at this as a lay person, it seems this is a blanket charge, so that if any of the other 11 counts are affirmed, count 1 must also be true.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: