RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Trump won Wisconsin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/27/17 8:22 am    ::: How Trump won Wisconsin Reply Reply with quote

http://billmoyers.com/story/rigged-voter-suppression-wisconsin/

From the passage of the Voting Rights Act in 1965 to the election of our first black president in 2008, the United States saw a gradual increase in voting access. Wisconsin had a particularly proud history of high voter turnout and expansive voting laws, adopting pioneering measures like Election Day registration in the 1970s. But when Republicans took control of 26 state legislatures in the wave election of 2010, they passed a slew of laws making it harder to vote. Twenty-two states have adopted new voting restrictions since then, more than half of which first went into effect in 2016. Wisconsin followed this pattern after Scott Walker became governor in 2011 and began his crusade to remake the state in the conservative image. One of the first projects he and the GOP Legislature undertook was enacting some of the most onerous voting laws in the country.

PostPosted: 10/27/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read the story. They're basically saying that because ONE girl in Wisconsin who failed to present a valid ID was denied the opportunity to vote, the entire election was rigged. But here's the problem with this whole argument they are making...

1) Nobody knows who this girl was going to vote for.
2) President Trump won by over 27,000 votes in that state. I really doubt 27,000 people lost their ID and didn't vote because they were all going to vote for Hillary Clinton.
3) Hillary could have won Wisconsin and it wouldn't have mattered. She lost by an electoral landslide.
4) YOU live in a state (CT) where a valid photo ID is required in order to vote. I once forgot my ID and was turned away, where I had to return later that day with my driver's license. Our President did not win in CT in spite of this "voter suppression" going on over here. Based on your previous posts, I'm guessing you live within 10 miles of me, so I don't know where you or the author of this article think requiring proof of residency is voter suppression all of a sudden. CT has been doing this for generations, so why all the false outrage that other states are following this common-sense approach to fair elections?
5) Bill Moyers and Mother Jonesd need to come to grips with the fact that people just don't like Hillary Clinton, and for a multitude of very good reasons. There is no conspiracy. The only voter suppression going on is for illegal votes. Except in places like California where non-citizens can vote. If Bill Moyers or any of the "journalists" at Mother Jones want to look into election fraud, they are looking into the wrong state.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/27/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am less interested on what the effects are on this last election, than just on one simple truth:

Voting should be as easy and accessible as realistically possible.

Full stop.

In other words, all legislation should be weighed on whether or not it meets this prime goal. If it makes voting harder, it has no business being enacted. Playing games with people's votes is unacceptable. Our goal should be 100% voter turnout, with anything less seen as a complete and utter failure. Policy needs to be pointed in that direction, and if it has the opposite effect it needs to be eliminated.

PostPosted: 10/27/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do you suggest we do? I think valid proof of residency is fair. Some states aren't even doing that. I'm fine with asking for some form of ID. That way someone can't say they're me and use my vote. Isn't that the most reasonable form of fraud control you could ask for?

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/27/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
What do you suggest we do? I think valid proof of residency is fair. Some states aren't even doing that. I'm fine with asking for some form of ID. That way someone can't say they're me and use my vote. Isn't that the most reasonable form of fraud control you could ask for?

I'm more concerned with not closing down polling booths in poor neighborhoods, not limiting early voting, not shortening polling hours, etc. Voter ID laws, while obviously used to target democratic voters (based upon lawmakers' own words) is a small drop in the bucket of the larger picture. As I said, we should be passing laws to make it easier (like making election Tuesday a national holiday where all non-essential businesses must be closed, or at least require paid time off for the day). We should be going out of our way to make sure everyone votes.

PostPosted: 10/27/17 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand how I am able to vote without showing an ID.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/27/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I'm more concerned with not closing down polling booths in poor neighborhoods, not limiting early voting, not shortening polling hours, etc. Voter ID laws, while obviously used to target democratic voters (based upon lawmakers' own words) is a small drop in the bucket of the larger picture. As I said, we should be passing laws to make it easier (like making election Tuesday a national holiday where all non-essential businesses must be closed, or at least require paid time off for the day). We should be going out of our way to make sure everyone votes.

One party wants people to vote and wants their votes to count. The other party doesn't want people to vote and doesn't want their votes to count.

Why do Republicans hate democracy?

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 10/30/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I'm more concerned with not closing down polling booths in poor neighborhoods, not limiting early voting, not shortening polling hours, etc. Voter ID laws, while obviously used to target democratic voters (based upon lawmakers' own words) is a small drop in the bucket of the larger picture.

Great platitudes there. You're not really saying anything meaningful at all.

justintyme wrote:
As I said, we should be passing laws to make it easier (like making election Tuesday a national holiday where all non-essential businesses must be closed, or at least require paid time off for the day).

Why? Are you going to pay for this or will it be the taxpayers that reimburse businesses? Isn't that just going to cost employees a vacation day or a holiday from someplace else? Aren't the polling stations open long enough already? A couple years ago I was away on business during election day and I just casted an absentee ballot. Wasn't so hard!
justintyme wrote:
We should be going out of our way to make sure everyone votes.

"We" meaning everyone else should be going out of our way and not you, right? I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you are going to do nothing while expecting others to carry your water on this issue? And what if "everyone" doesn't want to vote? Does your plan involving action by everyone but you involve forcing people to vote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: