RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Expansion coming soon for NWSL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 01/04/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vancouver would be a great addition. Instant rivalry with Seattle and to a bit of a lesser degree Portland, but still there. So perhaps 2 west coast expansion teams in 2018 in Vancouver and Los Angeles? At 12 teams, I would expect the league to break into East and West divisions. We shall see. It's good times to be a fan of the NWSL.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 01/06/17 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Western New York is moving to North Carolina for the 2017 season. New owner has already trademarked Carolina Courage, so expect a rebranding to come with it.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/06/17 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Western New York is moving to North Carolina for the 2017 season. New owner has already trademarked Carolina Courage, so expect a rebranding to come with it.

just announced.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news/nwsl-franchise-sale-relcoation-wny-flash-carolina-western-new-york-north-railhawks?utm_m_medium=t

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 01/08/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

just announced.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news/nwsl-franchise-sale-relcoation-wny-flash-carolina-western-new-york-north-railhawks?utm_m_medium=t

The courage was the old WUSA team...or to translate...Wambach retires they can move it to NC...

Now does Rory the lion make a return.

to clarify the original Courage was a very female lion....with girly ribbons in her well styled sometimes in pigtails.....mane....

wait...

Right...

ONLY MALE LIONS HAVE MANES!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

oooppppsssssssss...And you thought Maddie had it bad with the gender confusion Wink at least Maddie's gender confusion is because of ties to a sexist slur and common expletive.

they just done screwed up...to much ridicule from the Soccer boards I frequented (Go Gay Lion! Was a common opponent taunt!)

Didn't help that the person in the suit thought singing "the Lion Sleeps Tonight" was a rallying cry LOL LOL

Laughing

PostPosted: 05/12/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FC Barcelona approved for NWSL franchise. Just a matter of where and getting everything in place in time for an October announcement.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/barcelona-womens-team-nwsl-expansion-051217

toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta team all set for 2019....unless stadium deal falls through.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/28/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New reports are Barcelona will get team for 2018 season. LAFC will wait until possibly 2020 to bring in NWSL team. Real Salt Lake has been very quiet in regards to bringing in a NWSL team. If everything falls into place, we should have:

2018: Barcelona (likely San Diego, 11 teams)
2019: Atlanta (12 teams)
2020: Los Angeles (13 teams)

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/28/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Diego would be a perfect place for a club. That city has been quite the hotbed for soccer, and more specifically, women's soccer. If Atlanta comes on-line, they could play at Kennesaw State if they need a temp home. Los Angeles would be logical.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/28/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barcelona wants either Los Angeles, San Diego, Bay Area or NYC. LAFC has the rights to Los Angeles. NYCFC is rumored to be pursuing Sky Blue. Bay Area is a solid option, too, but I wonder if the Earthquakes once pursute of a NWSL team might lean them towards San Diego.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/28/17 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Barcelona wants either Los Angeles, San Diego, Bay Area or NYC. LAFC has the rights to Los Angeles. NYCFC is rumored to be pursuing Sky Blue. Bay Area is a solid option, too, but I wonder if the Earthquakes once pursute of a NWSL team might lean them towards San Diego.

Shocked RBNY hasn't made a play for sky blue...only because their team president is Amy Scheer...if the name sounds familiar...she was Blaze's 2nd in command/poor schlub who had to stick her neck out whenever blaze fd up....which was awesome. I do think long term Yurcak cant be viable for Sky Blue...NYCFC would be interesting where they'd put them...share MCUPark with the cosmos maybe? they're too small for yankee id think

PostPosted: 06/29/17 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Shocked RBNY hasn't made a play for sky blue...only because their team president is Amy Scheer...if the name sounds familiar...she was Blaze's 2nd in command/poor schlub who had to stick her neck out whenever blaze fd up....which was awesome. I do think long term Yurcak cant be viable for Sky Blue...NYCFC would be interesting where they'd put them...share MCUPark with the cosmos maybe? they're too small for yankee id think

Sky Blue can hardly draw flies where they are. Agreed that they are too small for Yankee Stadium, so perhaps a ground share with the Cosmos could work. Sky blue has been quite resistant to NYRB overtures, but I think eventually NYRB will get them and move them out of New Jersey.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/29/17 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Sky Blue can hardly draw flies where they are. Agreed that they are too small for Yankee Stadium, so perhaps a ground share with the Cosmos could work. Sky blue has been quite resistant to NYRB overtures, but I think eventually NYRB will get them and move them out of New Jersey.

well they're staying in NJ if they're bought by Red Bulls. They play in Harrison and bought a USL (3rd division) club as their D league club to play in there because they just want the dates and gates. So I actually thought last year they'd move sky blue to RB arena honestly.

And I'd be there with bells on esp if Amy gets a big hand or even finger on it...as the whipping girl for the blaze era, I'd owe that much LOL and given how much SHE loved the libs (despite her boss) I think she'd be a very important person to have involved in NWSL even if its just up the chain with the parent club

PostPosted: 06/29/17 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yet if both the Red Bulls & NYCFC want a team, the Red Bulls will likely get SkyBlue & NYCFC will get an expansion team. I see the league maxing out at 16 teams by also adding in Minnesota & Salt Lake City.

EAST: NYCFC, SkyBlue(Red Bulls), Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Orlando, North Carolina.
WEST: Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Diego(Barcelona), Houston, Minnesota, Kansas City, Salt Lake City.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/23/17 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The latest article about Barcelona's NWSL expansion team. NYC is out, looking only at California markets.

https://www.angelsonparade.com/2017/7/21/16012856/fc-barcelona-president-wants-nwsl-team-california-expansion

Would prefer San Diego in 2018(Barcelona), Los Angeles in 2019(LAFC) & San Jose in 2020(Earthquakes). Add in Atlanta, Salt Lake City & Minnesota along the way and there's the 16 teams.

Scarab

PostPosted: 07/24/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Is there a link somewhere confirming this? I would love to share it with others here in Atlanta, if so. We've been dying for the return of a women's pro team here.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The latest article about Barcelona's NWSL expansion team. NYC is out, looking only at California markets.

https://www.angelsonparade.com/2017/7/21/16012856/fc-barcelona-president-wants-nwsl-team-california-expansion

Would prefer San Diego in 2018(Barcelona), Los Angeles in 2019(LAFC) & San Jose in 2020(Earthquakes). Add in Atlanta, Salt Lake City & Minnesota along the way and there's the 16 teams.

Those 3 make perfect sense. I'm all for it. Atlanta could work, if the people show up...of course that hasn't stopped Sky Blue and Chicago from being in the league. I'm not sure what kind of market Salt Lake City is for women's soccer, but either there or Denver could be good...Minneapolis or even Detroit or Grand Rapids (GRFC just won the UWS title yesterday) could be an option.

This all said, the fact that it is even a conversation is a great thing for the league.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Is there a link somewhere confirming this? I would love to share it with others here in Atlanta, if so. We've been dying for the return of a women's pro team here.

https://www.soctakes.com/2017/04/09/atlantas-equivocal-status-indicative-improved-vetting-nasl/

toad455

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Those 3 make perfect sense. I'm all for it. Atlanta could work, if the people show up...of course that hasn't stopped Sky Blue and Chicago from being in the league. I'm not sure what kind of market Salt Lake City is for women's soccer, but either there or Denver could be good...Minneapolis or even Detroit or Grand Rapids (GRFC just won the UWS title yesterday) could be an option.

This all said, the fact that it is even a conversation is a great thing for the league.

Real Salt Lake has been very quiet about their NWSL talks. And the likelihood of the NWSL added 6 teams over 3 years won't happen either. I'm willing to say we could see 4 of those 6 added by 2020. SkyBlue goes to the Red Bulls as well and NYCFC's talks will only go further if they actually get a stadium deal in place.

Scarab

PostPosted: 07/28/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Scarab wrote:
toad455 wrote:

https://www.soctakes.com/2017/04/09/atlantas-equivocal-status-indicative-improved-vetting-nasl/

Thanks!

I admit I didn't/don't know anything about the NASL. I'm hoping that we eventually get an NWSL team here.

PostPosted: 09/17/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the MLS Atlanta team breaking the attendance record yesterday(70,000+), I have to hope that the NWSL is pushing for the potential NWSL Atlanta ownership group to get organized. Maybe they can join in 2018 with the Barcelona group if things get speed up by the end of the year?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/23/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

reports are coming that the league is trying to get the Barcelona & Atlanta ownerships in place by the end of the year to have them begin in 2018. This would bring the league to 12 teams in 2018. A break in expansion during 2019 as it's a WC year. The possibly more expansion in 2020(Los Angeles? San Jose? Salt Lake? Minnesota? NYCFC?).

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 09/24/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We MIGHT see Atlanta and the Barca group in 2018...though with FCKC, Boston, Sky Blue and Seattle just trying to stay afloat, the league (without a commish) may go for stability before expansion and simply move teams like they did for North Carolina, rather than start new ones.

I"m hoping no one folds and those that are close to it get relocated instead. Taking the devil's advocated, I could see FCKC moving to Atlanta, Seattle to San Diego with Barca as the new owners, Sky Blue to stay in New Jersey but move to Harrison with the Red Bulls taking over, and Boston moving to somewhere like Philadelphia, reigniting the Independence.

I would much rather have 10 stable franchises than 12-14 teams with teams struggling to stay afloat, drawing 2-3,000 a game.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/26/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's being reported that there will be no expansion for 2018. League is focusing on getting the weaker teams stable. Sporting Kansas City appears to be moving towards buying FCKC. If the Reign can link up with the Sounders, that would be wonderful. And SkyBlue needs to suck it up and let the RedBulls(or NYCFC) buy them. Add in San Diego(Barcelona) & Atlanta for 2019. Then Los Angeles & Salt Lake can come in in 2020.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/27/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It's being reported that there will be no expansion for 2018. League is focusing on getting the weaker teams stable. Sporting Kansas City appears to be moving towards buying FCKC. If the Reign can link up with the Sounders, that would be wonderful. And SkyBlue needs to suck it up and let the RedBulls(or NYCFC) buy them. Add in San Diego(Barcelona) & Atlanta for 2019. Then Los Angeles & Salt Lake can come in in 2020.

Red Bulls...Put Amy Sheer back in full charge after 14 years of being Blaze's Smithers shes earned the chance (she currently runs all ops basically an evp marketing role with the Bulls)

PostPosted: 11/16/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FCKC is dead, Real Salt Lake will start a new team in 2018 in Sandy, UT, playing at Rio Tinto.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: