RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus24

PostPosted: 10/18/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie should be allowed to pick her assistants and would assume that would be the case unless Thomas has lost his mind completely. I'm sure VJ would much prefer a head coaching job but not sure she has impressed any GM's with her coaching skills last year in SA.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/18/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Tanisha Wright just took an assistant coach position at UNCC, fwiw.

Significant because Tanisha definitely won't be coming back as a player. That's one question answered.

I agree with Bob. Herb Williams and T-Spoon are institutional employees who would be with the team regardless of who is coach. That's not to say Katie doesn't like them -- I have no idea -- but I think she'll be given one hire, namely a replacement for herself. That being the case, I doubt it would be someone like VJ with no previous connection to Smith. Also, being a first-time head coach, I'd think Katie would want a veteran to advise her rather than a recently retired player or a fairly inexperienced assistant. Just throwing some names out there, maybe Julie Plank who was her HC in Washington or Jenny Boucek whom she knows from Seattle. Her health permitting, maybe even Nancy Darsch who was not only Smith's college coach but also the other assistant at Seattle during Katie's two years there. Remember folks, this is not a popularity contest for the love of Liberty fans. Razz It's likely to be someone that Katie knows and trusts regardless of how we feel about them.

PostPosted: 10/18/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
stever wrote:

Significant because Tanisha definitely won't be coming back as a player. That's one question answered.

I agree with Bob. Herb Williams and T-Spoon are institutional employees who would be with the team regardless of who is coach. That's not to say Katie doesn't like them -- I have no idea -- but I think she'll be given one hire, namely a replacement for herself. That being the case, I doubt it would be someone like VJ with no previous connection to Smith. Also, being a first-time head coach, I'd think Katie would want a veteran to advise her rather than a recently retired player or a fairly inexperienced assistant. Just throwing some names out there, maybe Julie Plank who was her HC in Washington or Jenny Boucek whom she knows from Seattle. Her health permitting, maybe even Nancy Darsch who was not only Smith's college coach but also the other assistant at Seattle during Katie's two years there. Remember folks, this is not a popularity contest for the love of Liberty fans. Razz It's likely to be someone that Katie knows and trusts regardless of how we feel about them.

All this seems right. I look forward to learning of a new assistant coach.

PostPosted: 10/18/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been thinking about Herb Williams and his long tenure at Madison Square Garden. For anyone interested, here's a brief look at his basketball career.

Williams played at Ohio State, then played EIGHTEEN seasons in the NBA for Indiana, Dallas, Toronto, and the Knicks. He spent 11 seasons on the coaching staff of the Knicks, twice serving as interim head coach. And he is now about to begin his third season on the staff of the Liberty.

Here are the head coaches under whom Williams has served as an assistant: Don Chaney, Lenny Wilkins, Larry Brown, sexual harasser Isiah Thomas, Mike D'Antoni, Mike Woodson, and Bill Laimbeer. And now we can add Katie Smith to that list.

By my count, Herb Williams will be entering his TWENTY-SECOND season at Madison Square Garden as a player or coach.

I am hoping that when Herb Williams retires as a coach he publishes an extremely candid memoir. Imagine what Williams has seen in his basketball career, especially since 2003 as a coach in DolanWorld.

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What current Liberty players might Bill be willing to trade for to have them on The LV Stars ?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
What current Liberty players might Bill be willing to trade for to have them on The LV Stars ?

Charles? Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Charles? Surprised

Charles ain't leaving New York. Zellous possibly. Maybe he'll take Sugar with him to Vegas? Rodgers & Stokes to Las Vegas for Powers & the #6 pick?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/20/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it fascinating that people can propose possible trades for the Liberty when we have no idea who could actually make those trades. Do people think that Katie Smith, who's never been a head coach in the WNBA, is effectively going to be the GM as well? If not, then who is? Suppose Bill Laimbeer wants to get Sugar Rodgers, Kiah Stokes, or someone else from the Liberty roster. Who does he call?

PostPosted: 10/20/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I find it fascinating that people can propose possible trades for the Liberty when we have no idea who could actually make those trades. Do people think that Katie Smith, who's never been a head coach in the WNBA, is effectively going to be the GM as well? If not, then who is? Suppose Bill Laimbeer wants to get Sugar Rodgers, Kiah Stokes, or someone else from the Liberty roster. Who does he call?

Ghostbusters!

(now with spelling variations)
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/20/17 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Technically Laimbeer in his 2nd go round with the Liberty wasn't the GM, we all just gave him credit for the roster moves because, well we don't actually know who is the GM. It is possible it was a group effort that included K. Bernet (I obviously am not even sure of her name or exact title) I. Thomas and Laimbeer. Maybe Laimbeer wasn't really as involved with the decision as we thought and that might have been (besides I'm assuming a decent bump in salary) a reason he might have wanted to go to Las Vegas in the first place

If Bill wants to make a trade I'm sure he knows who to call, it just that we the fans don't know.

I could see him having some interest in Rodgers, Stokes, Zellous, Hartley, L. Allen he might even do a low ball offer for R. Allen if he still thinks she can develop. But Shades said in another thread and it is a good point that while he might be interested in some of the Liberty players, sending assets to the Liberty especially decent one might not be the best look.

I still think if healthy NY should try to get Jefferson away from Las Vegas, she isn't the best fit with Laimbeer's system, and her health is enough of a question mark that I could see her as attainable (if not for NY than for someone). I would really like to see a "true" PG back on the Liberty. I've never felt completely confident in Boyd (though I like and root for her) and while I think L. Allen is very capable and I'm happy to have her as an option until she develops her offense she is a good/safe back up PG, not a starting PG on a team that can contend.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/21/17 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can tell you when Bernert was there she was the boss...ask any lib official short of Isiah and youd here KB is the GM or KB is in charge.

I went on a rant right before the streak on how that is badly missing this year...and it's still a problem...You got Spoon and Cash with the same title...Isiah being a figure head president and then Clarke running all the marketing...not a good setup and I do have insiders saying it was too many cooks last year and led to trouble

It's an issue...I for one hope Bill takes Swin off our hands...know she was pregnant but just felt she did very little.

PostPosted: 10/21/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
I can tell you when Bernert was there she was the boss...ask any lib official short of Isiah and youd here KB is the GM or KB is in charge.

I went on a rant right before the streak on how that is badly missing this year...and it's still a problem...You got Spoon and Cash with the same title...Isiah being a figure head president and then Clarke running all the marketing...not a good setup and I do have insiders saying it was too many cooks last year and led to trouble

It's an issue...I for one hope Bill takes Swin off our hands...know she was pregnant but just felt she did very little.

If all that you say is true, then it will be even more of a problem for the 2018 season than for 2017. When Bernert left, at least Bill Laimbeer--with lots of GM experience--was one of the "too many cooks." Now potentially we still have too many cooks, none of whom has experience as a GM in the WNBA. Plus the continued, bizarre situation of two people holding the same title. All part of DolanWorld.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 10/21/17 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 10/21/17 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
stever wrote:

Very Happy + Sad
T was some serious glue the last few years.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/21/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minor self-correction. I just took a look at the staff directory on a New York Liberty web page. Teresa Weatherspoon is listed as Director of Player & Franchise Development. Swin Cash is listed as Director of Franchise Development. Not the exact same title, but close.

Should we have a contest as to what these titles mean and which title is better to have? We could all vote on the different responses. The winner we pick could then demand to meet with Jimmy Dolan and have him explain what HIS answers are. Smile

PostPosted: 10/22/17 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Minor self-correction. I just took a look at the staff directory on a New York Liberty web page. Teresa Weatherspoon is listed as Director of Player & Franchise Development. Swin Cash is listed as Director of Franchise Development. Not the exact same title, but close.

Should we have a contest as to what these titles mean and which title is better to have? We could all vote on the different responses. The winner we pick could then demand to meet with Jimmy Dolan and have him explain what HIS answers are. Smile

I'm too lazy to dig the article explaining this but basically 6-8 weeks into Swin's run the Same title Swin had was added to spoons player development (essentially coaching) role.....so she got the same title as swin but also has her role with the team on the court...its complicated but yes in the FO Swin and Spoon have the same title.

PostPosted: 10/22/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

I'm too lazy to dig the article explaining this but basically 6-8 weeks into Swin's run the Same title Swin had was added to spoons player development (essentially coaching) role.....so she got the same title as swin but also has her role with the team on the court...its complicated but yes in the FO Swin and Spoon have the same title.

I remember the history with these titles, which you have reported correctly. As to the question of what it genuinely means that the two of them both are seemingly in charge of "franchise development," whatever that is, who knows? This is DolanWorld. It may mean absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: 10/22/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DolanWorld, as it applies to the Liberty, consists of Isiah Thomas, Herb Williams, and formerly Allan Houston. I doubt Dolan cares about T-Spoon or Swin -- they're probably barely a blip on his radar screen. T-Spoon shows up at new STH recruiting events -- with or without Isiah -- which is clearly a marketing function. She's been doing it unofficially in addition to her player development work, so I guess it was only fair that they add the title -- especially since Swin was going to be less available because of her pregnancy. I'm not sure if anybody has a clear idea of what Cash should be doing: basketball-related, broadcasting, marketing -- I think management just feels she can be an asset and they're still figuring out how to use her. In the meantime, Swin mostly attends community events and she walks around before games greeting people like Bernert used to do. So the franchise development title appears to broadly cover marketing and community relations.

PostPosted: 11/01/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://westchester.gleague.nba.com/news/liberty-legend-teresa-weatherspoon-serve-color-analyst-westchester-knicks-home-games/

PostPosted: 11/05/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was looking at the over-seas thread and saw that Prince was one of the American's who played with Vadeeva in Russia. If she was willing to come over would Vadeeva be a good fit with the Liberty sharing time with Stokes at the Center spot?

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/06/17 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Vadeeva, but she's not a natural fit for Liberty-style switching defense -- assuming Katie wants to run the same system. I haven't seen Maria play yet this season. Unless she made an effort to change her body, Vadeeva isn't athletic and she doesn't block shots. Also, not the most physical player in the world. On the other hand, Vadeeva is smart and has great court awareness. She positions herself well and always seems to be Johnny-on-the-spot for loose balls. I wouldn't recommend drafting her with that #10 pick, but it's probably not a disaster either. As a move, grading would be in the B-/C+ range for me.

PostPosted: 11/06/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I like Vadeeva, but she's not a natural fit for Liberty-style switching defense -- assuming Katie wants to run the same system. I haven't seen Maria play yet this season. Unless she made an effort to change her body, Vadeeva isn't athletic and she doesn't block shots. Also, not the most physical player in the world. On the other hand, Vadeeva is smart and has great court awareness. She positions herself well and always seems to be Johnny-on-the-spot for loose balls. I wouldn't recommend drafting her with that #10 pick, but it's probably not a disaster either. As a move, grading would be in the B-/C+ range for me.

Plus you obviously have to build in when you'd see her and how often she'd keep coming back. Even if she commits to coming immediately, the chances of a non-American skipping future seasons or just failing to settle altogether has to be significantly higher. Apart from Abrosimova, who was pretty Americanised after her time at UConn, the history of Russians showing up to play in the WNBA is awful.

PostPosted: 11/06/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
the history of Russians showing up to play in the WNBA is awful.

Hammon showed up fairly regularly Wink

PostPosted: 11/07/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, but she went through the college system, same as Abrosimova. Wink

(now with spelling variations)
PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/07/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, but she went through the college system, same as Abrosimova. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

stever

PostPosted: 11/07/17 12:25 pm    ::: PODCAST: New York Liberty head coach Katie Smith Reply Reply with quote

https://summitthoops.com/2017/11/07/podcast-new-york-liberty-head-coach-katie-smith/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 11 of 90

Jump to: