RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sacramento Kings hire Boucek as an assistant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:40 pm    ::: Sacramento Kings hire Boucek as an assistant Reply Reply with quote

It's always darkest before the dawn.

http://es.pn/2yy8He4

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 10/20/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prepping her to become the new Monarchs head coach when they revive them for 2019?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/20/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a head coach, Boucek went 40-41 with the Monarchs from 2007 until 2009 (fired midseason) and 36-58 with the Storm from 2015 until 2017 (fired midseason).

In this way, she is being treated equal to former NBA head coaches who get fired...and get jobs as assistant coaches with other teams.

But she does have a lot of experience as an assistant coach, from 2003 to 2005 and 2010 to 2014 with Seattle.

Good for Boucek!

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never been overly impressed with her coaching, but wish her well. We need more representation in the men's bball world.

- Amanda Gorman
StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/20/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After looking at their team roster and coaching staff lists, it looks like Nancy Lieberman is no longer with the Kings this season.

http://www.nba.com/kings/roster

PostPosted: 10/20/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess the Kings are next to fold then.

I’m all for women getting coaching jobs in the NBA but what a ridiculous hiring this is.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/20/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not really a surprise, as from what I recall she's been quietly involved on the NBA side in the past. Some people are just great assistant coaches, without necessarily having what it takes to move one chair over and be successful. And sometimes you just need a different situation (Mike D'Antoni, for example, was a genius in Phoenix, a bum after his time in New York, and just won NBA Coach of the Year in Houston). It's not necessarily a bad hire at all.

PostPosted: 10/20/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
As a head coach, Boucek went 40-41 with the Monarchs from 2007 until 2009 (fired midseason) and 36-58 with the Storm from 2015 until 2017 (fired midseason).

In this way, she is being treated equal to former NBA head coaches who get fired...and get jobs as assistant coaches with other teams.

But she does have a lot of experience as an assistant coach, from 2003 to 2005 and 2010 to 2014 with Seattle.

Good for Boucek!

As an assistant, she does have two titles. Perhaps she is good at that? She certainly isn't good as a head coach, though it is only a matter of time before some WNBA hires her again.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/20/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Good for Boucek!

As an assistant, she does have two titles. Perhaps she is good at that? She certainly isn't good as a head coach, though it is only a matter of time before some WNBA hires her again.

I don't believe any WNBA coaches have gotten a third head coaching job after posting losing records at both of their first two.

Anne Donovan posted winning records in Charlotte, Seattle, and New York.
Bill Laimbeer posted winning records in Detroit and New York.
Brian Agler had a winning record in Seattle.
Dan Hughes was .500 in Charlotte and had a winning record in Cleveland.
Fred Williams had a winning record in Atlanta.

That's all the head coaches who have gotten a third (or more) job.

PostPosted: 10/21/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Not really a surprise, as from what I recall she's been quietly involved on the NBA side in the past. Some people are just great assistant coaches, without necessarily having what it takes to move one chair over and be successful. And sometimes you just need a different situation (Mike D'Antoni, for example, was a genius in Phoenix, a bum after his time in New York, and just won NBA Coach of the Year in Houston). It's not necessarily a bad hire at all.

Some people are much better assistants than head coaches (I'm one of them), and I think Jenny fits in that category. She was an assistant when Seattle was good, and Anne Donovan was the head coach, and that seems to be the best role for her.

There's a great movie called "Twenty Feet from Stardom" about backup singers, and the difference between being in the band and running the show. Bruce Springsteen is interviewed and he says something like "It's only 20 feet, but it's a long walk."

Same thing with assistant to head coach ...

PostPosted: 10/21/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CONGRATS! to JennyBoo

because of my personal interactions with her in Seattle, i'll always root for her success. Smile

PostPosted: 10/21/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish her all the best as well. Any time someone with WNBA involvement is looked at favourably from outside the league, that's a good thing for the league IMO.
Even if she wasn't the right fit as Seattle head coach, as Richyyy said, it doesn't mean she can't be a valuable member of a coaching staff.

PostPosted: 10/22/17 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
After looking at their team roster and coaching staff lists, it looks like Nancy Lieberman is no longer with the Kings this season.

http://www.nba.com/kings/roster

It's a different coach now (Dave Joerger) than she worked for (George Karl), and this article also says:

Quote:
Nancy Lieberman, the Hall of Fame player who was an assistant on George Karl’s staff in 2015-16, spent the duration of last season tending to her ailing mother and is in the midst of a self-imposed sabbatical.

Genero36

PostPosted: 10/22/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking forward to the day when it's also an accomplishment to coach in the W. Like the legendary woman in my avi stated, what would be the point for me to coach the men that I'm not already getting from coaching women.

PostPosted: 10/22/17 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Looking forward to the day when it's also an accomplishment to coach in the W. Like the legendary woman in my avi stated, what would be the point for me to coach the men that I'm not already getting from coaching women.

In most cases it's money, but Tennessee wasn't offering her a raise to switch over

PostPosted: 10/22/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

I'd settle for getting to the point where coaches consider the WNBA to be a step up from coaching in college.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 10/23/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Never been overly impressed with her coaching, but wish her well. We need more representation in the men's bball world.

I agree. Good for her but I'm glad she won't be coaching the Dream next year though I suppose they could do worse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: