RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017-18 Season Injury/Transfer/Attrition Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/15/17 2:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Hey Rumplestiltskin, while you were sleeping, the NCAA began handing out waivers like Halloween candy.

I understand it, though. She's now at Notre Dame so you consider it your sworn duty to troll her.

A lowbrow response filled with insults and undocumented claims is the best you could do? I guess I should take that as a compliment.

Where's your long list of prominent players who didn't have a legitimate hardship and also didn't have to sit a year.

I have a list of players who had to sit or are currently sitting.

Diamond DeShields
Alexis Jones [edited to add]
Lexie Brown
Allisha Gray
Kaela Davis
Azura Stevens
Mariya Moore
Destiny Slocum

Where are these players' Halloween candy? Did they knock on the wrong door?

Are you telling me you wouldn't have been up in arms if Stevens didn't have to sit a year? What's the difference between Shepard's case and Steven's? Neither were happy with the direction of their basketball careers. Well, Stevens had to sit, so in the interest of fairness so should Shepard. Remember, you're all about fairness, right? That's why you're preaching about how competent older Team USA members should give way to younger (and just coincidentally ND) players. Yep, you're all about fairness. Everybody believes that.

My beef is with Shepard not having to sit out a year no matter what team she went to, but I don't blame you for for feeling self-conscious.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/15/17 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/15/17 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Alliya Butts, Temple senior G, tore her ACL in practice Wednesday and wil miss the season.

This sucks for Temple....and for Alliya. However, if she makes a full recovery, Temple could have a really good season in 2019. They have some good young talent on that team.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/15/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Hey Rumplestiltskin, while you were sleeping, the NCAA began handing out waivers like Halloween candy.

I understand it, though. She's now at Notre Dame so you consider it your sworn duty to troll her.

A lowbrow response filled with insults and undocumented claims is the best you could do? I guess I should take that as a compliment.

Where's your long list of prominent players who didn't have a legitimate hardship and also didn't have to sit a year.

I have a list of players who had to sit or are currently sitting.

Diamond DeShields
Lexie Brown
Allisha Gray
Kaela Davis
Azura Stevens
Mariya Moore
Destiny Slocum

Where are these players' Halloween candy? Did they knock on the wrong door?

Are you telling me you wouldn't have been up in arms if Stevens didn't have to sit a year? What's the difference between Shepard's case and Steven's? Neither were happy with the direction of their basketball careers. Well, Stevens had to sit, so in the interest of fairness so should Shepard. Remember, you're all about fairness, right? That's why you're preaching about how competent older Team USA members should give way to younger (and just coincidentally ND) players. Yep, you're all about fairness. Everybody believes that.

My beef is with Shepard not having to sit out a year no matter what team she went to, but I don't blame you for for feeling self-conscious.

Chatrice White didn't have to sit out a year, and I'm not sure of her hardship claim. I do not remember you condemning her waiver, but maybe you did. Knowing the way you always find your old posts to vindicate yourself, perhaps you could post a link.

Natalie Romeo got to play right away as well. And Florida State had another player that didn't have to sit out a year, but Leticia Romero's hardship was pretty easy to see. The things that links these 3 transfers is that they were associated with a coaching change (as was Jessica Shepard's). The other cases you mention were just athletes leaving the coach who recruited them.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/15/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus he has no idea how many, if any, of those players applied.

Typical internal inconsistency. Name a bunch of random transfers who didn't get waivers, assume that everyone applies, but then trash Shepard for applying.

BTW, from July 2012-June 2013, the NCAA approved 127 of 236 hardship waiver applications, according to Yahoo Sports. I must have slept through the part about how rare and difficult to obtain they are. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Because, of course, It's all about her transferring to Notre Dame and nothing to do with her waiver application.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/15/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

Chatrice White didn't have to sit out a year, and I'm not sure of her hardship claim. I do not remember you condemning her waiver, but maybe you did.

You're not sure of her hardship or you didn't want to divulge what an easy Google search shows?
http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/recruiting/2016-05-10/scandal-played-role-whites-departure.html

White didn't wait a year to see how things played out and "was not among the group of players that accused head coach Matt Bollant and former assistant coach Mike Divilbiss of mistreatment."

Natalie Romeo got to play right away as well.

Yeah, you might want to reread my post. I already mentioned Romeo in support of my argument. She left right away and was very vocal against the dismissal of Yori. Now that's a hardship.

And Florida State had another player that didn't have to sit out a year, but Leticia Romero's hardship was pretty easy to see.

You're adding a bunch of filler, but not seeing much evidence of your artbestie's "handing them out like candy" claim.

The things that links these 3 transfers is that they were associated with a coaching change (as was Jessica Shepard's). The other cases you mention were just athletes leaving the coach who recruited them.

You don't seem to be getting that Shepard wanted the coaching change. That's why she stuck around after the coaching change. When it didn't work out the way she had hoped, then she wanted to leave.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/15/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems like there are an awful lot of ACL injuries already, less than 2 weeks after formal practice began. Is this related to conditioning routines in the off-season, change in sneaker construction since last season, something else, or totally random?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/15/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Plus he has no idea how many, if any, of those players applied.

Typical internal inconsistency. Name a bunch of random transfers who didn't get waivers, assume that everyone applies, but then trash Shepard for applying.

"Didn't get waivers" assumes that they all applied. Do you have evidence that didn't apply? Does it cost money to apply or does it come down to doing the right thing and sitting a year even when it's obvious nobody wants to sit out.

This list is random to you? These are all prominent players everone should know. Slocum, Alexis Jones were homesick. That seems like a bigger hardship than what Shepard has shown.

This is McGraw trying to work the system, just like Trump not paying taxes.

ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, from July 2012-June 2013, the NCAA approved 127 of 236 hardship waiver applications, according to Yahoo Sports.

You should have supplied the whole context of the article where you Google up that data. Trying to be deceptive?

http://m.newsok.com/article/5402603

Quote:
The NCAA announced Wednesday [3/2015] that it will no longer accept hardship waivers from student-athletes who transfer and wish to play immediately for a new program.

Instead, those transfers will now have the opportunity to have a sixth-year of eligibility tacked on — but not until after sitting out their first season.

The policy goes into effect immediately and applies to transfers who are not eligible to use a transfer exception. Undergraduate Division-I student athletes that transfer to another Division-I institution are not eligible for those exceptions.

From July 2012-June 2013, the NCAA approved 127 of 236 hardship waiver applications, according to Yahoo Sports.

I doubt that the NCAA is still approving at that rate, but even if they are, Shepard should definitely be on the non-approval side.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/15/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you assume everybody applies, but when McGraw has her player do it she's "gaming the system".

Your lack of logic and consistency is astounding.

Except when it comes to Notre Dame; then your trolling is totally consistent.

By the way, your assumption is flawed. Not everyone applies. Some players or coaches want the player to work out and learn the system at the new school for a year.

I seem to recall that Geno had Butler not apply when she moved from Georgetown so she could practice with the team for a year.

So as I said you have no idea how many if any of your list actually applied. I don't recall ever reading that any of them had a waiver request denied.

Just as you know absolutely nothing about Shepards application or her situation. But of course that doesn't stop you from trolling that Shepherd's application should "definitely" not be approved. Never let total ignorance of the facts get in your way.

But I'm sure you'll toss some more chum overboard.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 10/15/17 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/15/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I bet Shepherd is declared eligible. That ruling would be consistent with the allowances made for White, Romeo, and Romero among others who left their program due to a change in the original programs head coach.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Expecting consistency and logic from an organization as corrupt and inefficient as the NCAA is expecting way too much.

They're probably throwing darts at a wall in Indianapolis right now ...

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I bet Shepherd is declared eligible. That ruling would be consistent with the allowances made for White, Romeo, and Romero among others who left their program due to a change in the original programs head coach.

Another common factor !!!!!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Expecting consistency and logic from an organization as corrupt and inefficient as the NCAA is expecting way too much.

They're probably throwing darts at a wall in Indianapolis right now ...

We should probably move this to another thread, but...I had a Twitter argument Friday with whoever runs @hoopism after the UNC decision. I'll comment on it on that thread. It got a bit vicious and I bet s/he has muted me.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen waivers denied (or at least temporarily withheld) for no good reason that I can see. I've seen at least one waiver granted that I didn't even realize was applied for and had no idea how she managed to get (I have my suspicions, but I don't know enough). From the one situation I'm familiar with where a player got a waiver for no reason I could discern from publicly available knowledge, I'm going to guess that some of these may be granted for reasons that *cannot* be made public because of HIPAA or other similar regulations.

I'm also going to ask that everyone in this thread engage in discussion and debate without losing their manners or making personal remarks about other posters.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/18/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clemson’s top scorer, 5’10 senior G Nelly Perry, is out for the season with a shoulder injury requiring surgery.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, you can add South Carolina putting in a waiver for Te'a Cooper.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/19/17 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Was she officially kicked off the team at UT? That sounds like a decent reason for a waiver.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/19/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Was she officially kicked off the team at UT? That sounds like a decent reason for a waiver.

Well that would certainly open Pandora's box.

Want to transfer and not have to sit out a year? Do something outrageous enough to get kicked off your current team.

Now I think the waiver process has gotten ridiculous, inconsistent, arbitrary, and entirely too lenient, but I think most of the time the excuse is at least something beyond the player's control, in contrast to some reason entirely of the player's own doing.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/19/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

She was reportedly informed by the school's admin that she could either ask to transfer schools or be kicked out of UT for disciplinary reasons. She wasn't kicked off "the team" per se. So I guess that officially she left voluntarily.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/19/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Well that would certainly open Pandora's box.

Want to transfer and not have to sit out a year? Do something outrageous enough to get kicked off your current team.

Now I think the waiver process has gotten ridiculous, inconsistent, arbitrary, and entirely too lenient, but I think most of the time the excuse is at least something beyond the player's control, in contrast to some reason entirely of the player's own doing.

Deny ! Deny ! Deny !

PostPosted: 10/19/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina is seeking a waiver for Cooper

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article179807276.html
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/20/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article179807276.html

IMNSHO, that's one they should NOT hand out! Cooper was a BRAT at Tennessee and needs to sit out and contemplate her actions. Unfortunately, they probably will give her one on the pretext that she missed last year with her knee.

PostPosted: 10/20/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

IMNSHO, that's one they should NOT hand out! Cooper was a BRAT at Tennessee and needs to sit out and contemplate her actions. Unfortunately, they probably will give her one on the pretext that she missed last year with her knee.

I dont think personal emotions will be included in there decision Laughing Although i do agree , just let the girl play basketball !

PostPosted: 10/20/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

October 20 and still no decision on Jessica Shepard...wtf?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/20/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.volnation.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140245

Zay Green in a Lady Vol Uni looks good w/CHW . Sources saying she has also decommited from Kansas ! Rocky Top Rocky Top !!

PostPosted: 10/25/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame: Mychal Johnson torn ACL - out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: