Las Vegas Aces 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
The MGM Resorts International logo already kinda looks like a lion in a basketball:

So Las Vegas Lions surely has to be a distinct possibility.

Las Vegas Pride

I like that

...best one yet!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
pilight wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
The MGM Resorts International logo already kinda looks like a lion in a basketball:

So Las Vegas Lions surely has to be a distinct possibility.

Las Vegas Pride

I like that

...best one yet!

+1

PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can take great Pride in that name.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/18/17 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it highly unlikely that a name already being used by another US pro sports team, such as Lions or Pride, could be chosen for this team? I don't see the lawyers allowing it.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Isn't it highly unlikely that a name already being used by another US pro sports team, such as Lions or Pride, could be chosen for this team? I don't see the lawyers allowing it.

Dont see any other Las Vegas Pride teams listed anywhere.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Las Vegas have a large/healthy/visible LGBT community?

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 10/19/17 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Dont see any other Las Vegas Pride teams listed anywhere.

Well the NHL has the Dallas Stars as did San Antonio. I guess as long as the logos are not similar its ok.

I like Las Vegas Pride as well. We shall see.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they switch to a lionesque color then Pride could work. Trying to use the name with a rainbow scheme or something similar would be doing too much.

Last edited by pilight on 11/13/17 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 10/19/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll also vote for Las Vegas Pride.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
miller40

PostPosted: 10/19/17 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Las Vegas Pride

I actually really like that and the various ways it could be used and taken, but I'm not sure a new franchise would want the immediate associations many would have between the name and the LGBT community. There's a significant step between being LGBT-friendly and having a team name that woud conjure up images of rainbows and parades for a lot of potential customers.

The NWSL has the Orlando Pride...

herna220

PostPosted: 10/19/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Las Vegas Pride

I actually really like that and the various ways it could be used and taken, but I'm not sure a new franchise would want the immediate associations many would have between the name and the LGBT community. There's a significant step between being LGBT-friendly and having a team name that woud conjure up images of rainbows and parades for a lot of potential customers.

This works on many levels and is clever. Avoids the whole lion/lionesses debate, reflects MGM, and can be used as a rallying cry for various communities both local and national.

Reminds me of what happened with a local Catholic college in my home town of San Antonio. For many decades their sports team name was "the Crusaders". As time passed the name increasingly fell under scrutiny so their board of regents finally made the controversial choice to change it to... the cardinals.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/19/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if they expected the SA people to pull the plug or were they planning an expansion team and this just happened? Would have been nice for SA to keep the Stars.

BTW Stever where did you get the Seigfried and Roy thing Cool

pilight

PostPosted: 10/19/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been hearing rumors about them looking to sell the team since shortly after Holt retired.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If there was any remotely careful 'planning' behind all this, then the lottery drawing probably woudn't have been scheduled and then cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. But at least they looked for and found a buyer, wherever it ended up being. I'd be surprised if MGM paid the old 'full price' of $10m (even though that'd be a drop in the bucket to them), but at least San Antonio don't appear to have just said "we're done" and left the league to sort out the rest.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Does Las Vegas have a large/healthy/visible LGBT community?

I know they have a lot of drag shows there. There are a few famous drag queens that work and live in Vegas that have been on Rupaul’s Drag Race.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/19/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If there was any remotely careful 'planning' behind all this, then the lottery drawing probably woudn't have been scheduled and then cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. But at least they looked for and found a buyer, wherever it ended up being. I'd be surprised if MGM paid the old 'full price' of $10m (even though that'd be a drop in the bucket to them), but at least San Antonio don't appear to have just said "we're done" and left the league to sort out the rest.

My guess is that if indeed MGM paid $10 million, that would be the lead in every WNBA announcement -- and would be the best news the league has ever had.

My understanding is it costs about $500,000 to deal with all the legal stuff involved in the transfer, and that's probably all that MGM paid.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

You're assuming the draft rescheduling was because of the sale

PostPosted: 10/19/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

You're assuming the draft rescheduling was because of the sale

I'm assuming it was to do with the drama around the Stars n one way or another, yeah. Seems awfully coincidental, otherwise.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Las Vegas Pride

Boston Pride in the NWHL as well.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/19/17 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Las Vegas Pride

Boston Pride in the NWHL as well.

I think there is USSA Pride in the softball league too. If they are still around.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/19/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watch Plume go scoreless 0-10 (0-5 3P), 2 reb, 2 ast, 2 to, 2 stl in 23 min
Teammate Dabovic scored 15 pts in the same amount of time.

<iframe width="720" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fzfwcnkHH6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 10/19/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A term related to Lions would work too, like Cubs. Oh, wait.. Wink

PostPosted: 10/19/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Las Vegas Roar? Las Vegas Growl? Las Vegas Bite? Las Vegas Gnash?

Ooh, I know, Las Vegas Thundercats!

PostPosted: 10/19/17 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Sounds just fine to me too.
My only concern is that it might be too generic a name to stand out in Vegas among all the other shows there.

Las Vegas Superstars? Would continue the franchise tradition of kinda keeping the same name but endlessly fiddling with it.

Las Vegas Superstars makes me think it is a show with Wayne Newton, Celine Dion, and Penn and Teller.

People seeing the name Las Vegas Stars could also think it is some kind of show with multiple known Las Vegas performers.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/19/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Las Vegas Roar? Las Vegas Growl? Las Vegas Bite? Las Vegas Gnash?

Ooh, I know, Las Vegas Thundercats!

I like Pride

but Roar, I feel like that could be it. It ties to the Logo of the resorts based on the MGM roaring Lion and it is easy to see a graphic of the Lion in a Basketball Roaring on the jumbo-tron at the start of games, and it doesn't work as a plural in the new W tradition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 5 of 30

Jump to: