Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Ditto to that.

It is a big bad world out there in the W. Size matters. Wilson is about 6'3" not her listed height, she does carry some poundage but she would probably be better losing some as it slows her down. Smaller bigs need to be quicker as they can't bang with the W bigs at 6' 5 +. Guards who can't shoot are a dime a dozen. Tall shooters are the premium these days.

Wilson does look 6'5 and she pretty quick on her feet, she has MVP potential, Williams is the other player who I think will challenge for MVP and DPY awards down the line.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I think Wilson got a big boost from being the best player on the championship team (which had at least two other first round draft picks). If South Carolina had gotten wrecked in the finals by UConn as they were earlier in the season, we probably wouldn't be hearing about the "A'ja Wilson sweepstakes".

Allisha Gray was on that team too and she has looked pretty darn good in the W. You can't blame it on one or two players when they lose to the machine.

And if she played for UConn she would be touted as the next best thing to...(name it).

At any rate I think of her as a mini-Stewie with Stewie like potential. And I agree with above that she does look at least 6'4" to me. Pretty hard to see that fail.

- Amanda Gorman
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/17/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
tfan wrote:
I think Wilson got a big boost from being the best player on the championship team (which had at least two other first round draft picks). If South Carolina had gotten wrecked in the finals by UConn as they were earlier in the season, we probably wouldn't be hearing about the "A'ja Wilson sweepstakes".

Allisha Gray was on that team too and she has looked pretty darn good in the W. You can't blame it on one or two players when they lose to the machine.

And if she played for UConn she would be touted as the next best thing to...(name it).

At any rate I think of her as a mini-Stewie with Stewie like potential. And I agree with above that she does look at least 6'4" to me. Pretty hard to see that fail.

I'm 6'3...she's taller than me.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/17/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
tfan wrote:

Sad to say but very true Myrtle !

PostPosted: 10/17/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

And really, is Wilson that much of a difference-maker? She's good, granted, but I don't see her having the impact of a Griner or EDD or Taurasi. Kelsey Mitchell actually might turn out to be the better, more exciting player.

Or not. Wilson, in fact, could be overwhelmed by the strength of WNBA posts, and turn out to be an ordinary player ...

Wilson is taller, more athletic and has better ball skills than Nneka, probably now, certainly than when Nneka arrived in the WNBA. Nneka is stronger today, but give Wilson five years of maturing and year round full time working out.

No, we don't know that Wilson will be as good or better than Ogwumike, but she certainly has the potential to be, and players with her potential don't come around very often.

Small fast gunning guards always look flashier, but I'll take the less flashy height every time.

Using Griner and Della Donne and Taurasi - all once in a decade type players - as your test sets up an unreasonable standard. Nobody else in this draft, or the last, or the next, is close to them either. Wilson still appears to be the best prospect in this draft.

But then again, there's another whole year to watch and assess them. At this time last year I wouldn't have pegged Plum as the #1 pick.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/17/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was put at 6'5" and she is not close, Stewie is taller than her and I have seen them stand next to each other.

Oh and show me some footage where she is in a full sprint.

And please on the more athletic than Nneka Laughing Laughing Laughing

But as stated there is a whole year to go before.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/17/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
She was put at 6'5" and she is not close, Stewie is taller than her and I have seen them stand next to each other.

Oh and show me some footage where she is in a full sprint.

And please on the more athletic than Nneka Laughing Laughing Laughing

But as stated there is a whole year to go before.

Sprinting full speed against UCONN last season . Go back and watch the 1st half of that game she played hard . Nneka athleticism could be a stretch though also , but i will get on the bandwagon that she could possibly end up better !

PostPosted: 10/17/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

I was looking around for pictures of them standing together. The only one I've found is this one from 2013...

https://www.usab.com/~/media/5450eaa4505c45ccb799557aab1fa105.ashx

...in which they appear to be about the same height

PostPosted: 10/17/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson is not Breanna Stewart.

Not even close.

And I think A'ja Wilson is pretty good.

PostPosted: 10/17/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Not even close.

I agree. That's like comparing her to Candace Parker because they happen to be a similar height. She's not Parker, she's not Della Donne, she's not Stewart.

But at the same time, none of those three is Ogwumike. Personally I think Wilson is likely going to be more like a taller Nneka.

They're all good. But they're different players.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/17/17 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

No boost from me. I had her as #1 long before the championship. Elite bigs don't grow on trees, guards kinda do. A championship does help solidify that spot for those who had doubts before. She's probably not going to win a championship next year but I don't see it making a difference.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/17/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not even close.

I agree. That's like comparing her to Candace Parker because they happen to be a similar height. She's not Parker, she's not Della Donne, she's not Stewart.

But at the same time, none of those three is Ogwumike. Personally I think Wilson is likely going to be more like a taller Nneka.

We should appreciate Wilson for who she is and great hope for what she will become in the future. There are no two basketball players on the planet with the same physical attributes and same level of skills.

PostPosted: 10/17/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not even close.

We should appreciate Wilson for who she is and great hope for what she will become in the future. There are no two basketball players on the planet with the same physical attributes and same level of skills.

That's true. But different players share attributes and basic categories of style of play. I don't see any problem comparing players capabilities, physical characteristics, and styles, to that of other players. That doesn't detract from appreciating individual players.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/17/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, Wilson is a stronger version of Parker with a good handle but without the complete offensive skillset of Parker but better defensively right out of the gate. Parker/Charles hybrid?

At this point I can't see Wilson not going #1, and it's hard to see what would have to happen for her not to go #1. A severe injury.... or Mitchell having a Plum-like senior year and taking over the career scoring record? I can't see McGuff letting Mitchell go all me-ball to the level that it would take to reach 975 pts(?) in this season. Plus Mitchell mentioned she's learning more about team play at the USAB camp. Even then, you look at last year and see that having a year like Plum had doesn't guarantee greatness at the next level... although I can pretty much guarantee Mitchell will become a more prominent player than Plum in the WNBA.

For Indiana specifically, a healthy Wilson meets both best player and biggest need criteria. There's just no way they pass on Wilson. In fact, if they do land in the 2019 lottery (which won't be a forgone conclusion), they can just go into the post well again. That's how badly they need posts.

Last edited by Shades on 10/17/17 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/17/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Not even close.

There are times that A'ja Wilson reminds me of a taller (and even better version) of Katrina McClain.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/17/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
now that SA is relocating to Vegas, i believe they will get the #1 pick.

Vegas: Wilson
Chi Town: Mitchell
Indy: DeShields

So what are you saying, that it will be rigged? Because that sort of totally unproven conspiracy crap - oh, wait - "my opinion that I have a right to give" - is what's dumbing down the world. Not to mention that it insults the reputation of the WNBA and the accounting firm that is staking their reputation on the honesty of the process. It's equally plausible to suggest that the Las Vegas team builds an invisibility ray to have one of its people poke a ball or two into the receptacle without anyone seeing them, right?

LibFan25

PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

So what are you saying, that it will be rigged? Because that sort of totally unproven conspiracy crap - oh, wait - "my opinion that I have a right to give" - is what's dumbing down the world. Not to mention that it insults the reputation of the WNBA and the accounting firm that is staking their reputation on the honesty of the process. It's equally plausible to suggest that the Las Vegas team builds an invisibility ray to have one of its people poke a ball or two into the receptacle without anyone seeing them, right?

lol nobody is insulting the league. get a grip, you don't have to agree with it. Yes its my opinion, just like everyone else on this board.

I love this league, i've been going to Liberty games since the begining as a kid. all i want is to see it get better and grow. moving to Vegas brings a new energy and excitement to the league. but i feel sorry for the SA fans

RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/17/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite...

Should Laimbeer/Las Vegas get the #1 draft pick and therefore, A'ja Wilson, I would not be surprised to see him shop Plum to Seattle for their #5 pick and draft Kia Nurse should Gabby Williams, Kelsey Mitchell and Diamond DeShields be drafted with the #2,#3 and #4 picks.

I find it very unlikely that Azure Stevens will enter the draft.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/17/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
OK, I'll bite...

Should Laimbeer/Las Vegas get the #1 draft pick and therefore, A'ja Wilson, I would not be surprised to see him shop Plum to Seattle for their #5 pick and draft Kia Nurse should Gabby Williams, Kelsey Mitchell and Diamond DeShields be drafted with the #2,#3 and #4 picks.

I find it very unlikely that Azura Stevens will enter the draft.

SEA didn't seem to be interested in Plum in the draft, back when she was seen as a can't miss prospect. Maybe they figured she was unattainable with the #6 or even a package with #6.

This year the #5 pick should be a decent player. Unless LVS can provide a better package deal for #5, I think SEA would be better served to keep that pick.

Last edited by Shades on 10/17/17 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/17/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
OK, I'll bite...

Kia Nurse will be a great defender in this league , I see Jenna Ohea as her comparison . Could See them going with Jamie Nared at #5 playing the SF to have reason to dump Montgomery again

PostPosted: 10/17/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
To me, Wilson is a stronger version of Parker with a good handle but without the complete offensive skillset of Parker but better defensively right out of the gate. Parker/Charles hybrid?

At this point I can't see Wilson not going #1, and it's hard to see what would have to happen for her not to go #1. A severe injury.... or Mitchell having a Plum-like senior year and taking over the career scoring record? I can't see McGuff letting Mitchell go all me-ball to the level that it would take to reach 975 pts(?) in this season. Plus Mitchell mentioned she's learning more about team play at the USAB camp. Even then, you look at last year and see that having a year like Plum had doesn't guarantee greatness at the next level... although I can pretty much guarantee Mitchell will become a more prominent player than Plum in the WNBA.

For Indiana specifically, a healthy Wilson meets both best player and biggest need criteria. There's just no way they pass on Wilson. In fact, if they do land in the 2019 lottery (which won't be a forgone conclusion), they can just go into the post well again. That's how badly they need posts.

Wilson fills the biggest need for every lottery team. Potential franchise player at the most stacked/important position in the league. Vegas and Chicago have gaping holes at PF while Indiana has old Dupree. It should be a no-brainer no matter what.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/17/17 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

lol nobody is insulting the league. get a grip, you don't have to agree with it. Yes its my opinion, just like everyone else on this board.

I love this league, i've been going to Liberty games since the begining as a kid. all i want is to see it get better and grow. moving to Vegas brings a new energy and excitement to the league. but i feel sorry for the SA fans

I'm sorry, but yes you are insulting the honesty of the league if you are suggesting that the lottery could be rigged to give Vegas the top pick. There is a difference between having an opinion (this player should be traded) and offering up a completely unproven crackpot theory.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/17/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
OK, I'll bite...

I think this board overestimates how much Seattle might want Plum now. The die-hard UW fan base who isn't also a Storm fan is actually rather small so it would hardly be a windfall for ticket sales. Most of us are sick of seeing our draft picks sent away because we always seem to be worse off with who we end up getting.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/18/17 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason the brouhaha happened in the first place was that no-one would take Plum and SA ended up with her thinking they would be able to trade for what they really wanted, they couldn't and they were not happy about that. People may have changed their mind or not but who knows, she doesn't seem like a player Laimbeer likes.

I don't doubt that Wilson will probably go 1 but she is who she is a big body left hand dominant 6'3" post. She is no where near as athletic as Nneka. There is a huge difference between playing in the paint in the W and playing in the paint in college where there are currently very few bigs and a lot of undersized posts.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
The reason the brouhaha happened in the first place was that no-one would take Plum and SA ended up with her thinking they would be able to trade for what they really wanted, they couldn't and they were not happy about that.

What did they want? There were at least a couple of trade rumors and I believe those rumors. Did San Antonio get too greedy? They showed a live stream interview with Reilly. She said they wanted Plum on the team, and she seemed genuine to me.

Nixtreefan wrote:
People may have changed their mind or not but who knows, she doesn't seem like a player Laimbeer likes.

Who knows what he likes since he hasn't had complete control for a couple of years. Now that he has complete control, will he switch back to his big lead guard style? He's got three small ones now (including Colson), so it looks like he'll have to be bit flexible unless he blows up the team... which I'm not seeing but you never know.

Nixtreefan wrote:
I don't doubt that Wilson will probably go 1 but she is who she is a big body left hand dominant 6'3" post.

Oh, using the make her look shorter than she really is technique.

Nixtreefan wrote:
She is no where near as athletic as Nneka.

She's at least 2 inches taller than Nneka, and why are we talking about Nneka? Has there been a trade proposal? Nneka is already 6 years in. Won't be long before Clay is calling her old. High energy post players tend to slow down with age. She might have to change her style for the long haul. Could explain why she's adding some perimeter to her game, like Glory Johnson.

Nixtreefan wrote:
There is a huge difference between playing in the paint in the W and playing in the paint in college where there are currently very few bigs and a lot of undersized posts.

Yeah, and Nneka is trending toward the undersized post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 18 of 93

Jump to: