RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kelly Graves on German Frosh Satou Sabally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 10/15/17 1:35 pm    ::: Kelly Graves on German Frosh Satou Sabally Reply Reply with quote

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/basketball/36050674-61/oregon-ducks-womens-basketball-coach-says-the-skys-the-limit-for-6-4-freshman-satou-sabally.html.csp

Quote:
Satou Sabally, a 6-foot-4 wing, adds a unique skill set to a rotation loaded with savvy guards and post players who create mismatches.

“Without being too hyperbolic, I think she has a chance to be a star,” coach Kelly Graves said of the German import. “She can really do anything. She’s done a couple things in practice that we’ve never had anybody do in this gym. It’s going to be fun to see her growth as a player.”

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/15/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be fun to see if KG can sustain the level of recruiting going forward. The Oregon prep scene has produced some solid players the last few years who have ended up going out of state. He's already connected internationally now can he keep the instate kids home and pull in the Cali wealth of talent.

I liked KG at Gonzaga. I don't like Phil Knight U but still am intrigued by KGs successes (although when it comes down to him and Rueck, I'll support the lil' guy all the time).

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/15/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember reading an article about her prior to the High School all Star game in NY in which she was to take part. That peaked my interest so I paid particular interest to her when she was in. Although she didn't score much I was still impressed by her play. In All Star games guards tend to play somewhat hogish any way. What impressed me about her was her decision making, her defense and ability to run the floor. She is very fluid and can really move. Unfortunately it was an All star game playing with players who had little interest in playing team ball. Even so when she was in the game was when her team played it's best. She is a legit 6'4' with guard skills. In the game she did an excellent job on defense against both post and guards.

From what I under stand she has a younger sister as well. I think she is a factor that has not even been accounted for by those rating Oregon.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked Graves when he was in the mid majors and he seems to be trending in the same direction with Oregon.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/17/17 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon has six other upper-class players listed as forwards on the roster ranging in height from 6'1" to 6'6, a red-shirt freshman, 4 sophomores and a junior. If this German gets in the rotation I predict a transfer or two.

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/17/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Oregon has six other upper-class players listed as forwards on the roster ranging in height from 6'1" to 6'6, a red-shirt freshman, 4 sophomores and a junior. If this German gets in the rotation I predict a transfer or two.
From what I saw of her she will definitely get in the rotation. She does not just have to play forward she could play the wing or even the two guard position. She could come in as the sixth man at every position. Graves seems to validate that assessment by his comments as well.

Whether players will transfer would depend on how large the rotation is. When you have more good players you can use a larger rotation and keep your players fresh. They seem to be a running team so that makes sense. As I said before she doesn't have to play at the forward position. The key to her versatility is the positions she can defend and she is versatile enough to do that. She had two blocked shots in the All Star game and she defended both the post and guard positions.

stever

PostPosted: 11/08/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2017/11/ducks_womens_basketball_signs.html

Quote:
Sabally, a 6-3 forward who is the younger sister of UO freshman Satou Sabally, averaged 17.3 points and 12.8 rebounds for the German national team and won MVP honors during last summer's FIBA U18 Division B European Championships. Graves described Sabally as built like a traditional post with the comfort of a guard when playing away from the basket.

Quote:
In addition to Sabally and Chavez, Notre Dame transfer Erin Boley will also be eligible to play in 2018-19. Boley, the 2016 Gatorade national player of the year, is currently sitting out this season due to NCAA transfer rules, but will have three years of eligibility remaining.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: