Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/16/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.

That's sort of my gut feeling, but I guess we'll have to take comfort from this:

Quote:
Smith said at the time that she has drawn on experiences with former coaches Nancy Darsch and Brian Agler as well as Laimbeer while growing as a coach. She said she also has taken notes from Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut and spent time at Ohio State learning from current coach Kevin McGuff.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171016/wnba--katie-smith-to-be-named-next-coach-of-new-york-liberty-reports-say

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.

That's sort of my gut feeling, but I guess we'll have to take comfort from this:

Quote:
Smith said at the time that she has drawn on experiences with former coaches Nancy Darsch and Brian Agler as well as Laimbeer while growing as a coach. She said she also has taken notes from Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut and spent time at Ohio State learning from current coach Kevin McGuff.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171016/wnba--katie-smith-to-be-named-next-coach-of-new-york-liberty-reports-say

i have that feeling also, im happy for her but i hope she brings a whole new energy and different feel to the game with new ideas in her own legendary mind

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm so stoked about this.
tfan

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
If the Stars stayed put in San Antonio, would Bill have been fired?

I don't think Bill was fired. I'm pretty sure it was his decision to go.

I am assuming the same. Unless someone has evidence, it is irresponsible to post that Laimbeer was fired. I consider that fake news until I see evidence.

They didn't post that Bill was fired. They asked "would Bill have been fired" and you and hangtyme24 translated it to "Bill was fired".

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

even your avatar is beaming.

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/16/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Quote:

Ugh, I am even less comforted by most of that quote. But let's see what happens.

(now with spelling variations)
Richard 77

PostPosted: 10/16/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Congrats to Katie on her new gig. I'm sure she'll do great things in New York. YC, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this news. I can just imagine you doing Carl Edwards win celebrations or a few Gabby Douglas balance beam dismounts. (backflips)

Now you have a new challenge. You have a Katie Smith Player autograph. Time to get a Katie Smith Head Coach autograph.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Quote:

Ugh, I am even less comforted by most of that quote. But let's see what happens.

I thought Darsch was terrible myself. But consider the whole of the equation. Katie brings a scoring guard’s perspective of the game along with playing in a variety of offensive systems. Some oriented mainly toward her. Some geared toward team ball-sharing. It suggests to me that NY doesn’t necessarily have to be geared only toward more physical personnel.

How about:

Boyd, Sugar, Stokes, NY first rounder for Jefferson and SA/LV first rounder if it’s first overall?

I can dream right?

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Darsch was Smith's college coach. Mentioning her seems fitting.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a question that intrigues me. How does Katie Smith feel about the current Liberty roster? Does she feel our team is one or two good moves away from being a championship contender? Or that our roster needs serious changes? (I'm in the latter camp.)

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or do you just need a backup point guard who can shoot the 3 ball? (I'm in the Latta camp.)

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib need more-better 3 shooting. The shooting/offense was painful to watch. On paper this team looks good but somehow either the chemistry isn't there or something else is going on. I like both Prince and Sugar but they were so, so inconsistent this year it was also painful to watch.

They need either a 3 and/or a PG who can shoot from distance. It doesn't work to have neither of them able to shoot...ie I don't see Zellous and Boyd starting together.

I would like to keep both Prince and Rodgers but would give up one of them for the right player in return. At this point neither Zellous nor Boyd have trade value but both have team value. Maybe Stokes or Vaughn do. They were also a disappointing duo this year but not sure how to improve there. Though I think bringing back Swords as a backup would help.

So I guess ideally try to trade Stokes and one of the SG for a real SF and a good enough PG? Wouldn't it be nice to have FLB back? Unrealistic I would guess.

Bottom line: better shooters and preferably at multiple positions.

Luuc, I think Latta is a Mystic til retirement. They both talk about how she is like a daughter to Mike and his wife. Could be wrong. But this year she really looked closer to retirement so I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't occur in the next two years.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 10/16/17 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Quote:

No one is perfect. All of those coaches have had more success than most. The hope is that Katie takes the best of each while avoiding their shortcomings.

PostPosted: 10/17/17 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Congrats to Katie on her new gig. I'm sure she'll do great things in New York. YC, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this news. I can just imagine you doing Carl Edwards win celebrations or a few Gabby Douglas balance beam dismounts. (backflips)

Now you have a new challenge. You have a Katie Smith Player autograph. Time to get a Katie Smith Head Coach autograph.

Thanks for crediting me with more flexibility than I've ever had in terms of gymnastics.

And I'd have to actually get to a game in order to get an auto.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mechelle Voepel article on Katie Smith:

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21044781/katie-smith-takes-head-coach-new-york-liberty

PostPosted: 10/17/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Smith confirmed that fellow assistants Teresa Weatherspoon and Herb Williams will continue to be part of the organization.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This might give a little insight on what we can expect from the Liberty offense next season.
https://twitter.com/jrnba/status/920318504401637381

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heh.
I was gonna say the Stars have 287 posts right now on the 3 threads, to the Libs 241, so what's wrong with y'all

... but the Stars just got "L"-FO, so technically until the official clarification, they are Lib's threads.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Smith confirmed that fellow assistants Teresa Weatherspoon and Herb Williams will continue to be part of the organization.

very interesting. i thought she was gonna pick a whole new staff

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/17/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

very interesting. i thought she was gonna pick a whole new staff

I wouldn't assume that these decisions are entirely hers. Or hers at all. It's possible, but there's no way to be sure.

The more I think about this... Katie Smith is not only just beginning as the head coach of the Liberty but has never been a head coach before. That puts her in a less than ideal position to fight for who she'd want as her assistants. Herb Williams has been in DolanWorld forever and Teresa Weatherspoon is cherished above anyone for her career with the Liberty. Perhaps Katie Smith absolutely wants these two with her. But, in any case, it might not be easy for her to push out either or both.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 10/17/17 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/17/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This might give a little insight on what we can expect from the Liberty offense next season.
https://twitter.com/jrnba/status/920318504401637381

Hell, when I was still coaching, I used that as one of my offensive sets for years.
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/17/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Heh.
I was gonna say the Stars have 287 posts right now on the 3 threads, to the Libs 241, so what's wrong with y'all

... but the Stars just got "L"-FO, so technically until the official clarification, they are Lib's threads.

we are everywhere and legion.

(now with spelling variations)
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more among many questions. Will the Liberty add another assistant coach? (Tanisha Wright? Vickie Johnson?) In recent years, there have been two assistant coaches plus Teresa Weatherspoon in her various titles.

PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tanisha Wright just took an assistant coach position at UNCC, fwiw.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/18/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
One more among many questions. Will the Liberty add another assistant coach? (Tanisha Wright? Vickie Johnson?) In recent years, there have been two assistant coaches plus Teresa Weatherspoon in her various titles.

Yes I believe Katie will have another assistant coach, and I will be happy
if its VJ !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 10 of 90

Jump to: