Who should the sparks sign next season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/15/17 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Tolo's clearly better than Gruda, Diarra & Jackson-Jones. But as long as they keep Lavender, I don't see a need for her considering Agler's short bench rotation.

Brian is a defensive minded coach first & foremost. As long as Marianna is willing, it be sweet to have her onboard again. Besides, it usually takes about 2-3 years for full recovery from ACL injuries; so as long as she has suffered no setbacks, she should be in prime time form. She can stand to get better at converting missed shots down low and developing a better offensive game though.

At 28yo I don't think she's going to be adding much more to her repertoire, but I don't think she needs too much to be an effective role player on that team. She has a decent medium range J on her these days. (not Lavender-quality by any means, but enough that you can't leave her wide open). She isn't going to stop Fowles either, but hey, who is?? She's still solid defensive depth. Hopefully she makes the trip over next year. (One positive about her age - at least Agler might actually play her)
Physically I thought she wasn't even looking too bad in Rio, so by 2018 that should barely be a factor anymore.

PostPosted: 10/15/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I suspect Williams will be moved again and that both coach and player will be happy if it happens.

. . . but, but, but Riquna loves! to be chewed out by Brian on court in front of the television cameras. He adds so much discipline to her freelancing life. Razz

'listen up' 'listen up' 'look at me' repeatedly as she stares at her toes or across the court...yeah, that didn't come across as great rapport between coach/player.

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 10/15/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams defense left much to be desired in the limited minutes she was in during the playoffs.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/15/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Williams defense left much to be desired in the limited minutes she was in during the playoffs.

That's nothing new. The problem is that her scoring's often pretty inefficient as well. She's always seemed like a classic 'heavy scorer on a bad team' player to me. She's Jamal Crawford at best, but more likely a Rudy Gay. Come for the scoring, then marvel at all the losing.

I could definitely see LA wanting to dump her, but I'm not sure how much they're getting back at this point. She's got one missed season and one awful one under her belt since her reputation was made on miserable teams in Tulsa.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
willtalk wrote:

That's nothing new. The problem is that her scoring's often pretty inefficient as well. She's always seemed like a classic 'heavy scorer on a bad team' player to me. She's Jamal Crawford at best, but more likely a Rudy Gay. Come for the scoring, then marvel at all the losing.

I could definitely see LA wanting to dump her, but I'm not sure how much they're getting back at this point. She's got one missed season and one awful one under her belt since her reputation was made on miserable teams in Tulsa.

"Volume scorer"="Riquna Williams"

She had that one great night, as players like her will, but that doesn't make her a great player -- or even a good one.

Now if the league were to expand, she could average 15 a game and people would wonder why established teams let her go. But this past season is the answer ...

PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
willtalk wrote:

"Volume scorer"="Riquna Williams"

She had that one great night, as players like her will, but that doesn't make her a great player -- or even a good one.

Now if the league were to expand, she could average 15 a game and people would wonder why established teams let her go. But this past season is the answer ...

In fairness, it was her first season back after a major injury, and she may not be the best fit generally with a coach like Agler (although he did give her plenty of chances this year, however many shots she missed). You like to throw out PER occasionally as a shortcut assessment, and she had years with 21 and 23 in Tulsa (I'll admit I was shocked they were that high when I checked yesterday). Her only other seasons were 17 as a rookie, and 16 when she only played 11 games due to injury.

So in the past there's been a lot more production there than there was this season. But it may be best for everyone if she gets out of LA.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: