RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Shot...WCBB's Version!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Shot Made The Bigger Upset?
Morgan Vs UCONN
100%
 100%  [ 23 ]
Spoon Vs Houston
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/13/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
If purely regular season then Foley's fade away three at the buzzer to knock off mighty UConn in 2004 was a big one. UConn was up by, I think, 21 or so at one point. I thought oh another UConn blowout and changed it to cartoons. Happened to flip back through and even the final few minutes seemed dire. That to me will always be a classic

It was the only game I've ever seen where a team that was behind during the entire 40 minute game clock ended up winning. Duke was behind by two when Foley put up her 3pt shot, the horn sounded when her shot was in the air, but it went in and counted.

UConn never wore the new metallic silver uniforms it debuted in that game ever again.

I was sitting a few rows up from where Foley shot that - a ticket gifted to me by a UConn fan. He called me during the jubilation to congratulate my team, knowing I had one of the best views in the house. And, the UConn fans that surrounded me all stopped by to congratulate my team - after they'd spent most of the game chuckling about the poor Duke fan, whose team was getting stomped by the mighty UConn. UConn fans will always have a special place in my heart for the class they showed me after that game.

~rAf
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/13/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PRballer wrote:
per Carol Ann, the "shot" happened in Richmond, Virginia, in 1994. Charlotte Smith's perfect 3 to beat La Tech when the game seemed over. Will never forget watching that happen live.

Everything else is nice, but that takes the cake as it was for the title for North Carolina. Capped off a great run by Sylvia and her tough, athletic Tar Heels.

Too bad that shot never should've counted. Stephanie Lawerence clearly traveled on the inbound pass. I can't believe that gets overlooked so much.

You can't travel when you're inboundng. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to run the baseline after a make.

Here's the rule: Rule 7, Section 6, Article 8

Quote:
The following pertain to a designated spot:
a. The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-12.1.a through .c.
b. The designated spot shall be 3 feet wide with no depth limitation.
c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

This gives a player a lot of room to move laterally. The player would be able to move 18" to the left or right. Plus, since the ref doesn't mark a 'spot' on the floor, just a general area, it's not really an exact distance.

This allows the player to take additional inches depending on the length of the players' legs. Could easily be another 30-36".

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WBR17.pdf

Here's a video of the shot. I don't see her travel.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=charlotte+smith+shot+in+1994+ncaa&&view=detail&mid=78F30882FBA88CED644878F30882FBA88CED6448&FORM=VRDGAR

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/14/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PRballer wrote:
per Carol Ann, the "shot" happened in Richmond, Virginia, in 1994. Charlotte Smith's perfect 3 to beat La Tech when the game seemed over. Will never forget watching that happen live.

Everything else is nice, but that takes the cake as it was for the title for North Carolina. Capped off a great run by Sylvia and her tough, athletic Tar Heels.

Too bad that shot never should've counted. Stephanie Lawerence clearly traveled on the inbound pass. I can't believe that gets overlooked so much.

You can't travel when you're inboundng. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to run the baseline after a make.

Quote:
a. The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-12.1.a through .c.
c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

This gives a player a lot of room to move laterally. The player would be able to move 18" to the left or right. Plus, since the ref doesn't mark a 'spot' on the floor, just a general area, it's not really an exact distance.

This allows the player to take additional inches depending on the length of the players' legs. Could easily be another 30-36".

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=charlotte+smith+shot+in+1994+ncaa&&view=detail&mid=78F30882FBA88CED644878F30882FBA88CED6448&FORM=VRDGAR

Very informative.

The argument that UNC traveled on the inbound pass has been made for decades. I never read the text of this rule before, and know that I've seen inbound passes nullified for "traveling". I suspect that's because TV announcers use the term "travel" to describe movement out of the three-foot designated spot, which then got confused with movement of the pivot foot.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Quote:

Very informative.

The argument that UNC traveled on the inbound pass has been made for decades. I never read the text of this rule before, and know that I've seen inbound passes nullified for "traveling". I suspect that's because TV announcers use the term "travel" to describe movement out of the three-foot designated spot, which then got confused with movement of the pivot foot.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, I'm sure that there are more than a few coaches that don't know that the player can't be called for a travel on an inbounds.

I'm not sure what the signal they are using now is, but back in the olden days when I officiated, it was to simply point to the DS and then where the player ended up. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw it called.

Another thing that officials will do is to hand the player the ball and then take a couple of steps to the side. Kind of gives them a guide as to how far the player can go that way at least. If the player hits the ref, they went too far. Smile

At one time there was some question as to whether there was the DS and that the player had 3' on each side of the spot, and then they had to stay over that. I think that this wording clears that up that the DS itself is 3' wide and that the DS is not just a spot.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang....all along I thought Techster fans had a legit bitch.

If the DS throw-in rule was the same in '94, there was clearly no travel.

Not as clear is whether or not Smith's right foot is completely behind the 3-pt line. Cool

PostPosted: 10/14/17 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously, Weatherspoon's shot was bigger because NY was behind. MW didn't face the same consequence.

What was the bigger upset I can't say because I'm unfamiliar with that particular WNBA situation.

On a side note, I have to laugh when I read things like "everyone was confident UCONN was going to win the championship before the tournament even began."

PostPosted: 10/14/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Dang....all along I thought Techster fans had a legit bitch.

If the DS throw-in rule was the same in '94, there was clearly no travel.

Not as clear is whether or not Smith's right foot is completely behind the 3-pt line. Cool

Sorry.

I had stopped officiating by '94, but I would say that the rule is better/more tightly defined now than when I was reffing. I'd have to look to see if I have any old rule books/case books, but my memory is telling me that the DS was more of a spot and that the player had the 3' on either side of it. Maybe that is just the way the association I was working with had defined it.

Bottom line, if it's not a violation now, I don't see how it could have been in '94.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/15/17 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you're apologizing.

PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I'm not sure why you're apologizing.

You comment about Techster fans having a legit gripe made it seem like you were now disappointed that they really didn't.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 10/30/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few of us reminisced about the 2004 UConn Duke game, here's the link: https://youtu.be/MIuo4tflVY0

You can read CD's lips saying, "What a lucky shot." The official has to cover up or be stampeded by the Duke players..good stuff. It meant just as much back then to beat the powerhouse UConn as it does today, even moreso then because Taurasi was a senior and they had won two in a row already whereas this year's team, everyone figured they'd lose at some point with the 'inexperience'.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/31/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
A few of us reminisced about the 2004 UConn Duke game, here's the link: https://youtu.be/MIuo4tflVY0

You can read CD's lips saying, "What a lucky shot." The official has to cover up or be stampeded by the Duke players..good stuff. It meant just as much back then to beat the powerhouse UConn as it does today, even moreso then because Taurasi was a senior and they had won two in a row already whereas this year's team, everyone figured they'd lose at some point with the 'inexperience'.

Back when the DeBils were fun......

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/31/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

OMG i freakin love You !!

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Back when the DeBils were fun......

The last 5 minutes are a delight to watch. Barbara Turner dribbling against the press? Shocked

Coach G - everyone in Durham and any fan of the college game should miss her. She had that program in high octane mode.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: