RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill has a tendency to say a lot of things.

(Hey, Coach, if you're out there- does this make you VFO or LVFO now?)

(now with spelling variations)
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Also our injured PG for theirs

Boyd and L. Allen for Jefferson (makes sense if he like Boyd and Allen as much as he seemed to, and they already know the offense he like to run.) Jefferson solves NY's PG problem and bring the shooting and 3rd offensive option to add to our two headed SG.

draft Nared at #10 and Mavunga at #22

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe/Mavunga
Stokes/Vaugh or Zahui B or Swords or Free agent

I kind of like it. I start Rodgers with Jefferson for stronger defense, let Prince and Hartley anchor the 2nd unit offense.

Not sure why he’d do that when MoJeff is better than both imo. He can also trade up for a big guard like Nurse.

Most likely deshields...

Yeah in a different thread I also have Laimbeer trading Plum and #13 to Seattle for #5 in an attempt to get Deshields.

I'm not sure he would trade Jefferson to NY but she is small and coming off an injury and he supposedly liked Boyd and L. Allen who already know his system. But yeah probably a little wishful thinking on my part. I never considered Jefferson in NY because laimbeer didn't like small guards but now I see her as a good solution for us. We could also maybe add the #10 pick as an option, maybe #10 and L. Allen or Boyd.

On a different note happy for Katie Smith.

Can you imagine how good Jefferson could become if Spoon got to work with her. If she heels properly, I still believe Jefferson could become a really good player.

Why do people believe Teresa Weatherspoon is a brilliant coach? I'm sure she's good, but though there have been some players who have improved in New York, others have stayed the same or regressed.

Sure, she was a popular player, and she's in great physical condition, but those attributes do not necessarily translate to being a good one-on-one coach.

Because Bill Laimbeer said on this board that she was the best individual skills coach he had ever seen.

He also said he would draft Chandi Jones over Diana Taurasi. Bill says a lot of things.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Bill has a tendency to say a lot of things.

(Hey, Coach, if you're out there- does this make you VFO or LVFO now?)

Unless they're changing the name, we're surely just back to the old days: he's SFO all over again.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Also our injured PG for theirs

Boyd and L. Allen for Jefferson (makes sense if he like Boyd and Allen as much as he seemed to, and they already know the offense he like to run.) Jefferson solves NY's PG problem and bring the shooting and 3rd offensive option to add to our two headed SG.

draft Nared at #10 and Mavunga at #22

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe/Mavunga
Stokes/Vaugh or Zahui B or Swords or Free agent

I kind of like it. I start Rodgers with Jefferson for stronger defense, let Prince and Hartley anchor the 2nd unit offense.

Not sure why he’d do that when MoJeff is better than both imo. He can also trade up for a big guard like Nurse.

Most likely deshields...

Yeah in a different thread I also have Laimbeer trading Plum and #13 to Seattle for #5 in an attempt to get Deshields.

I'm not sure he would trade Jefferson to NY but she is small and coming off an injury and he supposedly liked Boyd and L. Allen who already know his system. But yeah probably a little wishful thinking on my part. I never considered Jefferson in NY because laimbeer didn't like small guards but now I see her as a good solution for us. We could also maybe add the #10 pick as an option, maybe #10 and L. Allen or Boyd.

On a different note happy for Katie Smith.

Can you imagine how good Jefferson could become if Spoon got to work with her. If she heels properly, I still believe Jefferson could become a really good player.

Why do people believe Teresa Weatherspoon is a brilliant coach? I'm sure she's good, but though there have been some players who have improved in New York, others have stayed the same or regressed.

Sure, she was a popular player, and she's in great physical condition, but those attributes do not necessarily translate to being a good one-on-one coach.

Because Bill Laimbeer said on this board that she was the best individual skills coach he had ever seen.

He also said he would draft Chandi Jones over Diana Taurasi. Bill says a lot of things.

My favorite is still when he traded for and declared Angelina Williams next PG of Detroit Shock.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe VJ comes back to NY as an assistant.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Possibly, but I see Tanisha Wright coming on board as an assistant.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/14/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Possibly, but I see Tanisha Wright coming on board as an assistant.

Three crucial things we don't know:

1. How does Katie Smith feel about Herb Williams, Teresa Weatherspoon, Vickie Johnson, Tanisha Wright, etc.?

2. How much say will Katie Smith have in choosing her assistant coaches?

3. If it's not totally up to Katie Smith--and it may not be--whose voices will count? Sexual harasser Isiah Thomas? Swin Cash? Teresa Weatherspoon?

PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And we have the right to know who is making those decisions. Every other team’s fans know who its GM is. I have to be honest. Moving forward I’m a little uptight. With Bill here, regardless of his job title, we weren’t going to see impulsive personnel decisions that would seriously hurt the long-term picture. We tied for the second-best league record over a 3 year period without having the second or third-best talent for most of that time period.

With SA/LV Bill is inheriting a team with three top-3 picks and an upcoming lottery pick. He took over the Shock in a similar situation. This is where he’s likely to excel. He has full control and lots of assets to work with.

Anyway, the Libs have a few assets of their own. I’d feel more comfortable about how those assets were being managed if we had an inkling what the power structure was. If it’s Katie, I feel comfortable with that. She’s got the acumen. But we will see.

PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
And we have the right to know who is making those decisions. Every other team’s fans know who its GM is.

I fully agree with this.

Even when there is a GM, fans never know for sure what's going on behind closed doors. For example, when Kristen Bernert was our GM, how much say did she have in decisions about free agents, trades, and the draft? How much say did Bill Laimbeer have? How much say did their boss, sexual harasser Isiah Tnomas, have? Unclear. But it's even murkier when there is no GM.

Last season I assumed that Laimbeer was the key voice; that Swin Cash, Teresa Weatherspoon, and Katie Smith (as associate head coach) might have a say; and that Thomas as team president certainly had to approve. But if we have the same murky situation this year, it's hard for me to imagine that Smith--just beginning as head coach, never having been a GM--will have the influence that Laimbeer did.

This would be a lovely time for LFO to comment and explain exactly how it all worked behind the scenes. Could change his name to The Former LFO. Smile

PostPosted: 10/15/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He probably can’t until this is official.

PostPosted: 10/15/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
He probably can’t until this is official.

Good point. So I will hope for some intriguing comments from The Former LFO after his Vegas job is official. Smile

PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think Bill Laimbeer knew his time was up, this guy frustrated me all year with his lineup changes and usage of Charles so much that the woman started getting back spasms got worn out and tired in the end. he had a good run but never got us over the hump, im happy he is gone.

we should clean house, get a fresh new coaching staff, a new voice in here to get us motivated and energize to win a championship.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw on the Liberty's Facebook page that Katie Smith has been officially named as the team's new head coach. She is rightly called "a WNBA legend" on the Facebook page. Congratulations!!!

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for Katie. I think its a good decision for the Lib coaching wise. Don't know how she will do GM wise.
jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll give wnba.com at least a week to post the news of Katie's promotion to head coach.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/katie-smith-named-new-york-liberty-head-coach/

Quote:
WNBA legend Katie Smith has been named head coach of the New York Liberty, Team President Isiah Thomas announced today.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.wnba.com/news/katie-smith-named-new-york-liberty-head-coach/

Quote:
WNBA legend Katie Smith has been named head coach of the New York Liberty, Team President Isiah Thomas announced today.

OH WOW! Impressive, wnba.com!

jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Stars stayed put in San Antonio, would Bill have been fired?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

Is there actual evidence that Bill Laimbeer was fired? As opposed to leaving voluntarily?

PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

I don't think Bill was fired. I'm pretty sure it was his decision to go.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

I don't think Bill was fired. I'm pretty sure it was his decision to go.

I am assuming the same. Unless someone has evidence, it is irresponsible to post that Laimbeer was fired. I consider that fake news until I see evidence.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The press release didn't mention Laimbeer's release, so I'm assuming his contract was simply up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.

(now with spelling variations)
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/16/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.

Given that Bill Laimbeer decided (or was certainly an important part of the decisions) to bring Katie Smith in as an assistant coach and then to promote her to associate head coach, I'd have to assume that they agree on many aspects of basketball and coaching basketball. But I believe you can never be sure how someone will be when they move from being an assistant coach, or even an associate head coach, to head coach.

It's now Katie Smith's team. She won't be a clone of Bill Laimbeer; who could? Smile We'll see how she approaches the current roster, player personnel decisions, in-game coaching, and all the rest.

PostPosted: 10/16/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Confused

Given that Bill Laimbeer decided (or was certainly an important part of the decisions) to bring Katie Smith in as an assistant coach and then to promote her to associate head coach, I'd have to assume that they agree on many aspects of basketball and coaching basketball. But I believe you can never be sure how someone will be when they move from being an assistant coach, or even an associate head coach, to head coach.

It's now Katie Smith's team. She won't be a clone of Bill Laimbeer; who could? Smile We'll see how she approaches the current roster, player personnel decisions, in-game coaching, and all the rest.

I do wonder if, given her own playing career, she will be more guard-oriented?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 9 of 90

Jump to: