RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2 WNBA players denied visas into Turkey with Russian team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/10/17 1:58 pm    ::: 2 WNBA players denied visas into Turkey with Russian team Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/7daca753368a458ca06d83b9d5accfe4/2-WNBA-players-denied-visas-into-Turkey-with-Russian-team

Quote:
The U.S. on Sunday suspended the issuing of visas for Turkish citizens hoping to visit or study in the United States after Turkey arrested U.S. consulate employee Metin Topuz last week on allegations of espionage.

Turkey immediately halted visa services in the U.S. in response.

PostPosted: 10/10/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of good teams in Turkey, and a whole host of inevitable matchups between their teams and other American-laden squads in the EuroLeague Women and EuroCup (and the men's game will feel it as well). Could be a big issue if this continues.

PostPosted: 10/10/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeesh. I saw an article about visa suspensions and wondered when it would come into play in bball world. Not long obviously. I've really wondered about the safety of 'our' girls playing in Turkey.

- Amanda Gorman
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 10/10/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
yeesh. I saw an article about visa suspensions and wondered when it would come into play in bball world. Not long obviously. I've really wondered about the safety of 'our' girls playing in Turkey.

Hate the WNBA ladies playing in Turkey. Playing with a loaded gun.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/10/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least 5 blocked now: Emma Cannon, Brionne Jones, Chelsea Gray, Jantel Lavender, Jolene Anderson

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/10/17 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the girls who are in Turkey travel out of the country with their team, if they can return...

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/11/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn wtf they should get out.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/12/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yes. Perhaps they should all stay in the United States where everything is safe. As in Las Vegas, Orlando, Sandy Hook, etc. etc.

PostPosted: 10/12/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yes. Perhaps they should all stay in the United States where everything is safe. As in Las Vegas, Orlando, Sandy Hook, etc. etc.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the threat from random criminal crazies is equivalent to the threat from a lawless corrupt dictatorial police state?

Seriously?

Just as an illustration........

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/01/europe/turkey-germany-prisoners/index.html&ved=0ahUKEwjzhaWTxevWAhVJbSYKHb4qADAQFghTMAU&usg=AOvVaw1_iqWRBe4V9aogUwAd8gzI&ampcf=1

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/12/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were 15,696 homicides in the U.S. in 2015 (the latest year for which I could easily find data). I say our country is unsafe.

And who is worse as a leader: the hideous President Erdogan of Turkey or the hideous Donald Trump? I know which one is more dangerous: the one who's got a nuclear button and has already hinted he may use it.

WNBA players aren't safe in Erdogan's Turkey. They aren't safe in Putin's Russia. And they aren't safe in the United States. Among other places.

PostPosted: 10/12/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
There were 15,696 homicides in the U.S. in 2015 (the latest year for which I could easily find data). I say our country is unsafe.

And who is worse as a leader: the hideous President Erdogan of Turkey or the hideous Donald Trump? I know which one is more dangerous: the one who's got a nuclear button and has already hinted he may use it.

WNBA players aren't safe in Erdogan's Turkey. They aren't safe in Putin's Russia. And they aren't safe in the United States. Among other places.

I'd say there is zero comparison between being unsafe from random crime, and being unsafe from the very real risk of being targeted, rounded up, and tossed in some Turkish hellhole of a prison as a political pawn for the very reason that you happen to be American. The odds of the latter are infinitly greater.

Most of us go through life in the US without ever being threatened by gun violence. Right now, I would put every American in Turkey in the "at risk," category.

And even if Trump and Erdogan were remotely comparable ( which, as bad as Trump is, they're not), Trump has no ability whatsoever to simply round up on whim American citizens and toss them away in jail. Unlike in Turkey, we have judges who aren't beholden to Trump, and a press that isn't beholden to Trump. Erdogan already threw all of the independant judges ( over 1600 of them) and reporters into jail.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/12/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I'd say there is zero comparison between being unsafe from random crime, and being unsafe from the very real risk of being targeted, rounded up, and tossed in some Turkish hellhole of a prison as a political pawn for the very reason that you happen to be American. The odds of the latter are infinitly greater.

Not only that, but being on ISIS doorstep where terror threats are very real every day everywhere. And being captured by ISIS to be killed or used as pawns, or perhaps raped in order to create 'super babies'...well that would be in another magnitude of horrific. I wouldn't let my kid play in Turkey. It might not be as bad as Pakistan/Afghanistan/N. Korea, but it's too damn close (politically speaking) and the bball players are way too much in the public eye.

- Amanda Gorman
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/13/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

So America is more dangerous than terrorist infested countries because of President Trump. You are a special kind of stupid.

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the threat from random criminal crazies is equivalent to the threat from a lawless corrupt dictatorial police state?

Seriously?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/01/europe/turkey-germany-prisoners/index.html&ved=0ahUKEwjzhaWTxevWAhVJbSYKHb4qADAQFghTMAU&usg=AOvVaw1_iqWRBe4V9aogUwAd8gzI&ampcf=1

Bob Lamm is a far left liberal moron. Of course he thinks that.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Seriously?

Bob Lamm is a far left liberal moron. Of course he thinks that.

You know, I've never found your support of Sammy Prahalis out of line, and I think you raise some interesting points, but this kind of post has no place. It's the kind of thinking that has fractured this country (among others).

Bob Lamm has a worldview that is opposite of yours. His worldview, like yours, is supported by some facts, some opinions and a selected narrative. It is possible he is dead wrong; it is possible he is right.

Those true believers who are convinced that they and only they have the pipeline to the truth, whether that truth be political, religious or economic, and all those who disagree are "morons" are the dangerous ones.

I remember that I couldn't talk politics with my brother-in-law any more when he said that nothing the liberals believe is correct and nothing that the conservatives (Rush Limbaugh in particular) believe is wrong. When you get to that point, discussion is useless.

I can point to liberal mistakes (the belief that welfare reform would not work back in the '90s, just to name one) and conservative mistakes (the Laffer curve belief that cutting taxes will generate enough new income that tax revenue will actually increase, just to name one). No system is perfect, no one has all the answers, and though there are indeed morons out there, Bob Lamm is not one of them. You detract from the strength of your own arguments and positions when you make statements like that.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
though there are indeed morons out there

That word is rarely used to accurately describe someone, rather it's used to disparage.

There's one obvious exception though.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guys, let's not go down this blind alley, okay? Area 51 is for that.

Anyone out there with more up to date info on the long-term repercussions of this visa thing?

(now with spelling variations)
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Anyone out there with more up to date info on the long-term repercussions of this visa thing?

Based on what awhom111 reported in a different thread, Jolene Anderson got in and played, and Gray/Lavender maybe could've done if their teams had jumped through some extra hoops. It sounds like it's not quite the 'blockade' that seemed like it might be happening at the start of all this.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: