RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip

PostPosted: 10/13/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So Laimbeer is reported to be the coach & GM of the Las Vegas Stars. Thoughts? Who should replace Bill? Katie Smith?

Thought you were pulling my leg....Guess not
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/liberty/bill-laimbeer-leaving-liberty-to-be-stars-coach-and-gm-ap-source-says-1.14459475

jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Smith is the new Liberty head coach.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21014980/bill-laimbeer-san-antonio-stars-coach-gm-team-sold-relocated

jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21014980/bill-laimbeer-san-antonio-stars-coach-gm-team-sold-relocated

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Katie Smith!
jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if T-Spoon will move to the bench as an assistant coach

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Also our injured PG for theirs

Boyd and L. Allen for Jefferson (makes sense if he like Boyd and Allen as much as he seemed to, and they already know the offense he like to run.) Jefferson solves NY's PG problem and bring the shooting and 3rd offensive option to add to our two headed SG.

draft Nared at #10 and Mavunga at #22

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe/Mavunga
Stokes/Vaugh or Zahui B or Swords or Free agent

I kind of like it. I start Rodgers with Jefferson for stronger defense, let Prince and Hartley anchor the 2nd unit offense.

Not sure why he’d do that when MoJeff is better than both imo. He can also trade up for a big guard like Nurse.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Boyd and L. Allen for Jefferson (makes sense if he like Boyd and Allen as much as he seemed to, and they already know the offense he like to run.) Jefferson solves NY's PG problem and bring the shooting and 3rd offensive option to add to our two headed SG.

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen

I kind of like it. I start Rodgers with Jefferson for stronger defense, let Prince and Hartley anchor the 2nd unit offense.

Not sure why he’d do that when MoJeff is better than both imo. He can also trade up for a big guard like Nurse.

Most likely deshields...

PostPosted: 10/13/17 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen

Most likely deshields...

Yeah in a different thread I also have Laimbeer trading Plum and #13 to Seattle for #5 in an attempt to get Deshields.

I'm not sure he would trade Jefferson to NY but she is small and coming off an injury and he supposedly liked Boyd and L. Allen who already know his system. But yeah probably a little wishful thinking on my part. I never considered Jefferson in NY because laimbeer didn't like small guards but now I see her as a good solution for us. We could also maybe add the #10 pick as an option, maybe #10 and L. Allen or Boyd.

On a different note happy for Katie Smith.

UK1996

PostPosted: 10/13/17 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen

Most likely deshields...

Yeah in a different thread I also have Laimbeer trading Plum and #13 to Seattle for #5 in an attempt to get Deshields.

I'm not sure he would trade Jefferson to NY but she is small and coming off an injury and he supposedly liked Boyd and L. Allen who already know his system. But yeah probably a little wishful thinking on my part. I never considered Jefferson in NY because laimbeer didn't like small guards but now I see her as a good solution for us. We could also maybe add the #10 pick as an option, maybe #10 and L. Allen or Boyd.

Can you imagine how good Jefferson could become if Spoon got to work with her. If she heels properly, I still believe Jefferson could become a really good player.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/13/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Sugar Rodgers or Hartley for Jefferson (I would prefer Prince but don't see that as possible) I would like to get Jefferson and keep Rodgers because I think they would be a very complimentary back-court, but I would probably still make that trade (maybe throw in our 2nd round pick as well) If it solves our PG problem and the log jam of SGs.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/14/17 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

If not T-Spoon, then maybe Tanisha Wright?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/14/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VJ to NY or LV.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/14/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sad to see Bill Laimbeer go, but happy that Katie Smith is getting a chance to be a head coach.

This raises another question: who is our GM now? I can't say what went on behind closed doors, but I always felt that Laimbeer was the main GM. Will Katie Smith be GM without the title the same way I suspect Laimbeer was in recent years? Will she be named GM? Will Swin Cash become the GM?

PostPosted: 10/14/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Herb Williams remain as a Lib assistant?

PostPosted: 10/14/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen

Most likely deshields...

Can you imagine how good Jefferson could become if Spoon got to work with her. If she heels properly, I still believe Jefferson could become a really good player.

Why do people believe Teresa Weatherspoon is a brilliant coach? I'm sure she's good, but though there have been some players who have improved in New York, others have stayed the same or regressed.

Sure, she was a popular player, and she's in great physical condition, but those attributes do not necessarily translate to being a good one-on-one coach.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long has TSpoon been there? She's really only had Boyd & Rodgers long term. Boyd was out this season and Rodgers took a step back. Are we really going to judge her coaching based on two players?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Speebs56

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

Where are y'all reading that Katie Smith will be new coach for Liberty? None of the articles linked in this thread say anything about that. Does someone have inside intel?

BTW - I'd love to see Katie get the opportunity!

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

Where are y'all reading that Katie Smith will be new coach for Liberty? None of the articles linked in this thread say anything about that. Does someone have inside intel?

BTW - I'd love to see Katie get the opportunity!

This is from the article:

Quote:
Laimbeer, who had been the head coach for the New York Liberty the previous five seasons, will be replaced by assistant coach Katie Smith, the source said.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen

Most likely deshields...

Why do people believe Teresa Weatherspoon is a brilliant coach? I'm sure she's good, but though there have been some players who have improved in New York, others have stayed the same or regressed.

Sure, she was a popular player, and she's in great physical condition, but those attributes do not necessarily translate to being a good one-on-one coach.

Because Bill Laimbeer said on this board that she was the best individual skills coach he had ever seen.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen

Most likely deshields...

Because Bill Laimbeer said on this board that she was the best individual skills coach he had ever seen.

Thanks ... I had forgotten that.

Then again, I would still like to see more proof.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Katie Smith is going to bring an alteration in philosophy and approach. I’m also wondering if Bill saw SA/LV as a better opportunity or if there was kind of a mutual parting of the ways with the acknowledgment that Katie is ready for the job. She was given the title of associate head coach a couple of years ago. Seemed to me at the time she was sort of being groomed to eventually be the Libs’ head coach.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

If not T-Spoon, then maybe Tanisha Wright?

She would be a good choice whenever she's ready. Remember how she used to be in charge of the huddle back when she was playing?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/14/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

You've never noticed Laimbeer boast about all things Liberty whether they deserved boasting about or not?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/14/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

You've never noticed Laimbeer boast about all things Liberty whether they deserved boasting about or not?

Well...since we are not in the locker room I’m going with the guy who was.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen

Most likely deshields...

Thanks ... I had forgotten that.

Then again, I would still like to see more proof.

That’s fair. I know Bill is prone to hyperbole. OTOH he really didn’t have to say anything about her at all. So I’m sure she’s good. Her B-ball IQ and work ethic are pretty high.

Coaching can possibly only take certain players so far. Perhaps there will be more positive evidence this year.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 8 of 90

Jump to: