Board Junkies Forums

Who should the sparks sign next season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Of course, Minnesota didn't go very deep in game five either ...

But got meaningful contributions from Perkins, Montgomery, Howard, Pierson and Jones over the course of the series.

If you saw them, it meant they were losing and Reeve was looking for some magic in a bottle because the starters weren't effective.

Obviously everything is on the line in Game 5. The starters stepped up. No magic needed from the bench, which is the way both Reeve and Agler prefer.

Richyyy wrote:
Outside their starters, LA got meaningful contributions from... um... yeah. Lavender and Carson (and briefly Williams) were the only ones who even played, never mind contributed.

I'm sure Reeve admired this and would love to do it herself, if her starters were young enough to put in that kind of time.

Anybody got a breakdown of the total minutes played in the Finals?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
If Beard retires or you want to replace Carson I would probably take a serious look At K. Christmas. She has her detractors but she has decent size, is a decent defender, can shoot the 3, and would think would less likely to play here ball on a team with Gray, Sims, N. Ogwumike and Parker as the other 4 starters (if Beard retires) or as a 6 woman if she replaces Carson.

A sign-and-trade of Christmas for #11? Agler might do it.

I would not oppose to this , Throw in Lavender As Insurance . Shes not ideal for our team but shes usable.

Just throw in Lavender, like she's nothing? Throw her nothingness Minnesota's way. I remember her having great chemistry with Whalen in the 2014 USA camp.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Anybody got a breakdown of the total minutes played in the Finals?

182 Fowles
172 Moore
163 Augustus
140 Brunson
124 Whalen
84 Perkins
78 Montgomery
25 Jones
17 Howard
14 Pierson
2 Zandalasini

177 Gray
173 Parker
172 Sims
166 Beard
155 Ogwumike
70 Lavender
59 Carson
27 Williams

PostPosted: 10/06/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
LA's bench wasn't nearly as sucky as many want to make out. Agler just doesn't want to play them. Jackson-Jones looked fine in a couple of early games when the stars were still arriving, and Wiese had her moments (and might've actually developed given some playing time). I understand shortened playoff rotations but it got ridiculous in the postseason. He only had three posts who were going to play unless a hurricane hit the LA locker room, and one of them was an underperforming Lavender. For all the LA fan complaints, a big part of Nneka/Parker foul trouble is that Agler had no interest in ever sitting them, because there was no one he wanted to play instead.

A big part of improving LA's bench would just be using them, not necessarily acquiring new players to sit there.

You are right on point Richyyy!!! I wondered why he didn't use Jackson-Jones against Minny. She definately would have been a decent choice to use help against Fowles and Brunson.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/06/17 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
LA's bench wasn't nearly as sucky as many want to make out. Agler just doesn't want to play them. Jackson-Jones looked fine in a couple of early games when the stars were still arriving, and Wiese had her moments (and might've actually developed given some playing time). I understand shortened playoff rotations but it got ridiculous in the postseason. He only had three posts who were going to play unless a hurricane hit the LA locker room, and one of them was an underperforming Lavender. For all the LA fan complaints, a big part of Nneka/Parker foul trouble is that Agler had no interest in ever sitting them, because there was no one he wanted to play instead.

A big part of improving LA's bench would just be using them, not necessarily acquiring new players to sit there.

You are right on point Richyyy!!! I wondered why he didn't use Jackson-Jones against Minny. She definately would have been a decent choice to use help against Fowles and Brunson.

Agree. Think I mentioned that in one of the game threads. TJJ isn't great but she can be physical and take up space to pick up a few fouls and give the bigs a bit of rest. And if he couldn't even put Weise in for a minute or two at the end of a quarter then he might as well ship her out. His non-use of rookies is just over the top. Diarra on the roster was a head shaker out of the gate. Totally useless wasted spot. And Gruda is really just another version of Lavender but I guess it's good to have some redundancy in case of injury.

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 10/06/17 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one was talking about Wiese or JJ being ex-factors before the series started,or when LA was up 2-1....Wiese being this great 3pt shooter is a myth.In her first two games,Wiese hit 10-13 from 3pt range.She shot 6-22 for the rest of the season.That's 27%.J.Jones is a undersized,overly aggressive,foul machine.Fowles would've scored on J.J at will.....For the series,Parker played 9 less minutes than Fowles,and Ogwumike played 18 minutes less than Parker......Sparks lost this series in game 4 when they failed to show up.

Anyone questioning Agler's coaching ability is out of their got damn mind.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/07/17 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/07/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Agree. Think I mentioned that in one of the game threads. TJJ isn't great but she can be physical and take up space to pick up a few fouls and give the bigs a bit of rest. And if he couldn't even put Weise in for a minute or two at the end of a quarter then he might as well ship her out. His non-use of rookies is just over the top. Diarra on the roster was a head shaker out of the gate. Totally useless wasted spot. And Gruda is really just another version of Lavender but I guess it's good to have some redundancy in case of injury.

I thought Gruda's international experience against Fowles could've warranted some minutes when Nneka was in foul trouble

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/07/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
myrtle wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I thought Gruda's international experience against Fowles could've warranted some minutes when Nneka was in foul trouble

Indeed, I've been confused by why both Gruda and TJJ weren't used more. While, Gruda hasn't really gotten a chance to get into a rhythm while she's been with LA, She was really good when she first played in the league and until recently has only played overseas. I truly think she still has "it". She was Euroleague player of the year a few years ago and has been chosen as a part of the Euroleague equivalent of the W's 1st team a number of times. She's tough, athletic and her J is funky but so are Odyssey, Gray and Syd's. This is earlier this year just before she joined the team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMPxFoCxnkQ

I remember her giving them some really good minutes on Griner last year, I think it was....I don't know, perhaps something with her game isn't quite jiving with Agler's style? I don't know....

I've always like TJJ. Her and Glo were quite a tandem in Tulsa. She gave LA some really nice minutes during the regular season on offense and defense. I hope she's able to come back next year.

Question; So LA if can somehow get, Liz/Bone, Chiney, Cappie and Angel, is it officially a superteam? My worry would be personalities but Angel and Nneka already play together, Cappie may want to round out her championships and seems to get along well with a number of the girls. Liz, well you guys have said she wants to be in LA. Discounting the salary cap and who they'd have to trade to get them, do you think they would be good players to round out the roster? In all honesty, I really wanted them to somehow get Quigley. CP, Lav and Gruda played with her in Turkey last season but I don't really see her leaving Sloot in Chicago. Of course, Sloot would be awesome too...Maybe they can just get those two all call is a day! lol! It would be a little crowded at the pg spot though...Perhaps move Sims to the 2?

Btw, if my proposal is bananas (which it very well may be), please charge to my head not my heart because I miss the W already! Embarassed Laughing

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 10/09/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bring back Tolo!!!

Shades

PostPosted: 10/09/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

Question; So LA if can somehow get, Liz/Bone, Chiney, Cappie and Angel, is it officially a superteam? My worry would be personalities but Angel and Nneka already play together, Cappie may want to round out her championships and seems to get along well with a number of the girls. Liz, well you guys have said she wants to be in LA. Discounting the salary cap and who they'd have to trade to get them, do you think they would be good players to round out the roster? In all honesty, I really wanted them to somehow get Quigley. CP, Lav and Gruda played with her in Turkey last season but I don't really see her leaving Sloot in Chicago. Of course, Sloot would be awesome too...Maybe they can just get those two all call is a day! lol! It would be a little crowded at the pg spot though...Perhaps move Sims to the 2?

For one thing, Cambage and Bone shouldn't be treated like they're the same. The next thing, other than maybe Bone and Cappie, you're going to have to give up something of fair significance to gain that player. The cheapest may be Chiney. Some might say you could get her for Lavender and something else. That might even be iffy now since Lavender has been used by some as a scapegoat for losing the Finals. Tolo and future picks for Cambage? I'd make you pay a lot more than that if I were Dallas. Cambage is exactly the missing piece they need, and I think the Sparks would probably just be happy with Tolo since she was doing well there before.

BTW, Cambage wanting to go to LA was 6 and half years ago before the 2011 draft when the Lakers were still popular in Melbourne. I think she actually prefers Dallas now.

I'd have no clue what you'd be willing to give up to get Angel along with those others you wanted. Pretty sure Beard wouldn't want to go. She'd just retire. Lemme guess... all your remaining table scraps? It might not be a bad time to persue Angel since we're not sure who is in charge over in ATL or how strong they are with off season moves and negotiations, but I would hope they wouldn't give away McCoughtry. If they do, they might as pull up the tent stakes and quit the business.

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Btw, if my proposal is bananas (which it very well may be), please charge to my head not my heart because I miss the W already! Embarassed Laughing

Yes, it's quite whimsical since you didn't go into any detail how to attain these players without losing others.

I already think the Sparks qualify as a superteam. Three MVP trophies and and formidable starting 5. They hardly need blowing up. If you could add Chiney, that would be pretty significant and you should be happy with just that.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/09/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shouldn't this all be in the Sparks 2018 Thread? Question Idea

jap

PostPosted: 10/14/17 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Bring back Tolo!!!

Mariana was strong enough to give Brittney grief in the paint. Is she strong enough to handle Big Bad Syl?

She definitely has been the most ferocious, blue collar worker in the paint we have had since Lisa retired.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tolo's clearly better than Gruda, Diarra & Jackson-Jones. But as long as they keep Lavender, I don't see a need for her considering Agler's short bench rotation.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jap

PostPosted: 10/14/17 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Tolo's clearly better than Gruda, Diarra & Jackson-Jones. But as long as they keep Lavender, I don't see a need for her considering Agler's short bench rotation.

Brian is a defensive minded coach first & foremost. As long as Marianna is willing, it be sweet to have her onboard again. Besides, it usually takes about 2-3 years for full recovery from ACL injuries; so as long as she has suffered no setbacks, she should be in prime time form. She can stand to get better at converting missed shots down low and developing a better offensive game though.

Jantel really needs to seriously start practicing backing up a few feet and sinking treys. If her automatic long two's are enhanced to automatic treys, we will have a killer perimeter offense.

Is Brian still interested in converting Riquna into a 100% team oriented player with uber athletic gifts? What is the next steps in the development of Kid Syd? Does she continue to hone her offensive game in the paint to complement her game outside the arc? Does Alana hold onto her kicks for another year and continue working with her young guards in her private school of defensive skills (i.e., Chelsea, Odyssey, Riquna, & Sydney)?

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

It's always nice to have quality insurance in case of, you know, injuries.

Injuries and other obligations are how you advance in this league.

Courtney Williams stepped up for Bentley.
AThomas stepped up for COgwumike.... or was it JJones stepped for COgwumike? Either way it wasn't genius but more like tgtw.
Wheeler stepped up for January.
Sims stepped up for Carson.
Quigley stepped up Pondexter who was stepping up for Slooty.
Gwathmey had the chance to step up for SJohnson and TMitchell. You can decide the results on that one but I think she at least gained confidence.
Any others from this season?

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 10/14/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's always nice to have quality insurance in case of, you know, injuries.

Injuries and other obligations are how you advance in this league.

Courtney Williams stepped up for Bentley.
AThomas stepped up for COgwumike.... or was it JJones stepped for COgwumike? Either way it wasn't genius but more like tgtw.
Wheeler stepped up for January.
Sims stepped up for Carson.
Quigley stepped up Pondexter who was stepping up for Slooty.
Gwathmey had the chance to step up for SJohnson and TMitchell. You can decide the results on that one but I think she at least gained confidence.
Any others from this season?

Krystal Thomas for Meesseman

Shades

PostPosted: 10/14/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Yeah, she definitely raised her stock and lowered the stock of the SEA GM. Surprised

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Yeah, she definitely raised her stock and lowered the stock of the SEA GM. Surprised

I thought we were blaming the coach for that whole thing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/14/17 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

You can play Tolo and Lavender together though. Let Tolo handle the biggest defensive matchup so that Lavender can be her soft self and shoot

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 10/14/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

You can play Tolo and Lavender together though. Let Tolo handle the biggest defensive matchup so that Lavender can be her soft self and shoot

Agler rarely had both Parker and Ogwumike on the bench at the same time. So unless one of them slides over to SF, having Tolo and Lavender on court together likely won't happen. Though Agler really needs to have a deeper bench

PG: Gray/[Sims]
SG: Sims/Williams/Wiese
SF: Beard?/Carson/draft pick
PF: Parker/Tolo
C: Ogwumike/Lavender/Gruda

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect Williams will be moved again and that both coach and player will be happy if it happens.

- Amanda Gorman
adamj95

PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is Williams contract status? If she's under contract, what team would be willing to offer anything for her? She averaged 6 points on 32% shooting last season.

PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they let Williams go, I could see Agler bringing back Dabovic.

jap

PostPosted: 10/14/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I suspect Williams will be moved again and that both coach and player will be happy if it happens.

. . . but, but, but Riquna loves! to be chewed out by Brian on court in front of the television cameras. He adds so much discipline to her freelancing life. Razz

PostPosted: 10/15/17 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA should focus more on using their biggest trade chip(Lavender) to acquire 1 or 2 rotations players.Jantel is a legit 14p/7r player if given the minutes.

Lavender & Williams for Johnson & January.....convince January to play 3 more seasons on a contender as a 18-22 minutes backup....Then sign Tolo,and maybe O'Hea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: