RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft lottery postponed from tomorrow to ''a later date''
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/12/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand the "witness" stuff. Is this like sending UN observers? Have Jimmy Carter witness the drawing?

Who cares. This is just the drawing. Does someone seriously think someone's going to cheat? I'm sure the seller can adequately represent the buyer's interests.

The only rational reason for delaying the lottery drawing is if the participant pool might change because of the addition or subtraction of a team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/12/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Why would a straight move require a delay? The court will be the same size and shape at the new location, won't it. The team can still draft, regardless of their future location.

It strikes me that only a change in the number of teams participating in the draft (plus or minus) would explain the delay.

An ownership change would mean the new owners would want to witness the drawing

Wouldn't that imply that a lottery team is on the move, and ATL shouldn't care to witness.

Yeah ATL seems most suspect to me . Coop giving away 1st Round Pick kind of indicated a Win NOW mentality and that did not happen .

PostPosted: 10/12/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't understand the "witness" stuff. Is this like sending UN observers? Have Jimmy Carter witness the drawing?

Who cares. This is just the drawing. Does someone seriously think someone's going to cheat? I'm sure the seller can adequately represent the buyer's interests.

The only rational reason for delaying the lottery drawing is if the participant pool might change because of the addition or subtraction of a team.

Borders has stated very thoroughly that there would not be any expansion until all 12 teams become profitable i doubt that happened this past season . Move seems more likely than expanding at this point .

PostPosted: 10/12/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Borders has stated very thoroughly that there would not be any expansion until all 12 teams become profitable i doubt that happened this past season . Move seems more likely than expanding at this point .

Addition wasn't the only possibility I addressed.

I wish someone could give a plausible explanation why a move would necessitate delaying the lottery drawing.

No one seems to want to even countenance the possibility of a team shutting down. Now that would disrupt all the draft arrangements because they'd have to figure out how to integrate the annual draft and the dispersal draft. That I could understand requiring a delay, even if it wasn't one of the lottery teams.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/12/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

There could've been the threat of a different number of teams, then if they managed to find a new owner it would be avoided.

It would be even more complicated if the team potentially disappearing had already traded their pick. You can't just nice and simply remove them from the draft order if someone already gave up assets for a draft pick that then wouldn't exist. (Note - I have no information that the team being referred to is Atlanta. Talking purely hypothetically)

PostPosted: 10/12/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

It would be even more complicated if the team potentially disappearing had already traded their pick. You can't just nice and simply remove them from the draft order if someone already gave up assets for a draft pick that then wouldn't exist. (Note - I have no information that the team being referred to is Atlanta. Talking purely hypothetically)

Now that's intruiging. Shocked

What would they do?

pilight

PostPosted: 10/12/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

What would they do?

In 2003, with 14 teams, there were 12 first round picks and 15 in each of the second and third due to trades with folded teams. The picks that came from Miami and Portland remained where where they would have been, while the picks traded to them vanished.

PostPosted: 10/12/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

What would they do?

In 2003, with 14 teams, there were 12 first round picks and 15 in each of the second and third due to trades with folded teams. The picks that came from Miami and Portland remained where where they would have been, while the picks traded to them vanished.

Why am I not surprised you quickly had the answer. Very Happy

Thank you. That makes sense.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/12/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Antonio sold.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/12/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
San Antonio sold.

At least people on the westcoast get closer to plum. I expect a full blow up of this team , but then again who would not want to go to vegas so who knows. I feel people in vegas are too busy gambling to pay attention to the W. I hope im wrong Embarassed

PostPosted: 10/12/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any chance this team gets relocated to the Bay Area?

PostPosted: 10/12/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Any chance this team gets relocated to the Bay Area?

Personally, I think that's way likelier than Vegas.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
stever

PostPosted: 10/12/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lacob has said...repeatedly, talk to me when our new arena is done...not sure why people are even mentioning Vegas, however it could be a "trial balloon" as a precursor to putting a NBA team there. Weren't the Magoofs interested in Vegas prior to selling the Kings?

stever

PostPosted: 10/12/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not Houston, give their new owner a "buy one, get one free" deal?

toad455

PostPosted: 10/12/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least the team isn't folding and someone is interested in buying the Stars. Have to imagine this is why the lottery was ppd.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
wnbashockballa

PostPosted: 10/12/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

seems like keala was right about a team potentially going the east with the SA relocation guess she did have some info lol

PostPosted: 10/12/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbashockballa wrote:
seems like keala was right about a team potentially going the east with the SA relocation guess she did have some info lol

I'm assuming based on reports it's either Las Vegas or Golden State. Let's hope the league is acting quickly so the Stars can start selling season tickets.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/12/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You could also use the lottery as a way to promote your new team.

Heck if the new team goes to Vegas, have the lottery in Vegas. Vegas wins the jack pot, and gets a lot of free local and National publicity.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/26/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/10/26/16525676/sources-wnba-draft-lottery-scheduled-november-13

Quote:
This date could change, being that the date for the Lottery has been postponed before, but as of now, it’s slated for November 13th.

PostPosted: 10/26/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/10/26/16525676/sources-wnba-draft-lottery-scheduled-november-13

Quote:
This date could change, being that the date for the Lottery has been postponed before, but as of now, it’s slated for November 13th.

That's on a Monday. Is there a big college game playing on ESPN that day?

[Edit] I looked it up. South Carolina at Maryland is playing on ESPN2. Sounds just about perfect since most people view Wilson as the most likely #1 pick.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/26/17 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/26/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out why a sale and move of a team warranted postponing the draft lottery. It's not like the new owners have any input or decision to make. There was no change to the lottery.

Makes me wonder whether at the time of the original postponement there was some risk of the franchise simply closing up shop.

Either that or San Antonio was concerned that if the Stars did not get the #1 pick, the price might drop. Although that seems highly unlikely.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/26/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why a sale and move of a team warranted postponing the draft lottery. It's not like the new owners have any input or decision to make. There was no change to the lottery.

Makes me wonder whether at the time of the original postponement there was some risk of the franchise simply closing up shop.

Either that or San Antonio was concerned that if the Stars did not get the #1 pick, the price might drop. Although that seems highly unlikely.

It wouldn't look too good if there was a blank chair there and the blank chair won the #1 pick. Also hard to interview the blank chair...

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/26/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to believe the announcement was delayed as the sale of the Stars was in the works and almost finalized. PPD it until it's a done deal so Las Vegas can get their first TV exposure with the lottery and likely the #1 pick. I also believe Las Vegas will have a name/logo by then. If the sale hadn't started, I tend to believe the lottery would have happened as scheduled. I don't think the Spurs would have folded the team if a sale wasn't in the works.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/26/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It wouldn't look too good if there was a blank chair there and the blank chair won the #1 pick. Also hard to interview the blank chair...

It worked for Clint Eastwood at the 2012 Republican Convention, didn't it? Razz

PostPosted: 10/26/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Maybe the Vegas group asked them to postpone and the league, having no real reason not to, agreed. Postponing the lottery a couple of weeks isn't that big a deal.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: