RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

"Bandwidth Exhaustion"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/07/17 1:05 pm    ::: "Bandwidth Exhaustion" Reply Reply with quote

For a couple of weeks now, I've noticed a slow down with my ISP.

I ran speed tests and the one from my provider's site was good. The independent test I used sucked!

So I went to the provider's site last night and did some trouble-shooting and it said that there was a problem and to contact them.

I got on a chat with one of their agents. Here's how it went:

Info at 22:26, Oct 6: My name is AGENT, it's my pleasure to assist you today.

AGENT at 22:27, Oct 6: Hi, thank you for contacting us, you have reach the Residential Internet Support Department. This is AGENT, I see that you're chatting about slow internet speed, is that correct?

ME at 22:28, Oct 6: Yes.

AGENT at 22:28, Oct 6: I do apologize for the inconvenience.

AGENT at 22:28, Oct 6: let me check your account.

AGENT at 22:28, Oct 6: May I have your account holder's name and a good callback number for documentation purposes?

ME at 22:28, Oct 6: ME XXX-XXX-XXXX

AGENT at 22:29, Oct 6: Let me check

ME at 22:39, Oct 6: Hello?

AGENT at 22:41, Oct 6: Thank you for patiently waiting and Sorry for the long wait.

AGENT at 22:42, Oct 6: Upon checking your account, I found out that your internet service is impacted with Known Outage(Bandwidth Exhaust).

AGENT at 22:42, Oct 6: You may experience slow speeds, packet loss and latency during peak hours, including nights and weekends.

AGENT at 22:42, Oct 6: Our engineers are already aware and working to resolve the issue.

ME at 22:43, Oct 6: So this has been going on for about three weeks now. How long does it take to fix it? Is this what the outage was the other day?

AGENT at 22:45, Oct 6: Yes, it started three weeks ago, Bandwidth Exhaust may take a month or two to be fixed. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.
As per our back engineers there are no Estimated Time Frame yet on when it will be cleared.

ME at 22:46, Oct 6: This is 2017, almost 2018, how can something take so long to be fixed? <At this time I didn't know exactly what bandwidth exhaust was.>

AGENT at 22:46, Oct 6: For Bandwidth Exhaust, our engineers really need time to fix the issue.

ME at 22:48, Oct 6: Maybe you need new engineers. So, since I'm only getting about half of what I'm paying for, do I get a credit or reduction in my bill?

AGENT at 22:49, Oct 6:
Yes, Since this is a known outage, you will receive an auto-credit adjustment for the inconvenience.

ME at 22:51, Oct 6:
Why haven't we been contacted about this? I've been leaving my computer on all day and all night trying to get some pictures uploaded. Can't wait to see my electric bill!! Sad

AGENT at 22:52, Oct 6:
I'm really sorry if you have not been informed about this issue. I will take note of this and make sure our management team is aware of this issue.

ME at 22:54, Oct 6: So that's it? Just sit here and wait?

AGENT at 22:57, Oct 6: I'm really sorry for the difficulties but we really have to wait for the engineers to fix the bandwidth exhaust outage.

ME at 22:58, Oct 6: So I've been googling this bandwidth exhaust. From what I've been reading, it means that you have more subscribers than you have capacity for? Right?

AGENT at 23:01, Oct 6: Yes. The DSLAM is congested in your area.

ME at 23:03, Oct 6: Not sure what a DSLAM is, but why do you continue to sign up subscribers if your resources can't handle the load?

AGENT at 23:05, Oct 6: I'm sorry but I won't be able to answer that inquiry. You will be needing to contact Customer Care Department with regards to that. I'm really sorry for the trouble.

ME at 23:07, Oct 6: Well, this has been informative. Doesn't make me happy. Pushes me one step closer to another provider. Thank you for your time.

AGENT at 23:07, Oct 6: I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. In the meantime, is there anything else that I can help you with today?

ME at 23:10, Oct 6: You can keep you fingers crossed that I don't lose any pictures waiting for your snail-paced engineers to do something that they apparently should have been addressing years ago. Some of the things that I was reading about this problem go back to 2013 or before.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/07/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My question to you all is if I do switch providers how likely am I to run into this same problem?

Is this a problem with the provider's servers or the number/capacity of the lines/cables installed in the community?

Right now I'm using CenturyLink. I've been thinking about switching to Comcast. Will that make a difference?

Thanks!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
stever

PostPosted: 10/07/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is quite common with small-ish telcos like CenturyLink...is this DSL service, or fiber optic?

I'm only 8 miles outside Ann Arbor, and my 2 choices are (Charter) cable, or DSL(copper lines) from ATT, my somewhat rustic neighborhood isn't "wired" yet for the much faster fiber optic service from ATT(U-verse) The only way CL fixes this issue would be to axe a sizable chunk of their subscriber base, and you know that's not happenin'.

Look at Comcast's site, see what package/promo is best for you & give them a call...tell them you're looking to switch and ask: "what can you do for me"?

Check these promo codes out, might save you some $$$:
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/xfinity.com

stever

PostPosted: 10/07/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just went to speedtest.net and got these results:

I pay Charter cable $65 a month for internet only, no TV for 4-5 five years now. I can be watching a streaming ball game on my 9 year old iMac while my son is watching a movie on Netflix on his 65" TV at the same time, both in 1080p rez, if available...that's what you get from fiber optic cable vs. a smaller regional phone company.

You usually get the best deal by ordering yourself from their website, rather than calling a rep...just remember to check out those coupon codes.

sambista

PostPosted: 10/07/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sounds like plain old throttling (and lies) to me. how could you tell the difference?

PostPosted: 10/07/17 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Google quickly reveals complaints about bandwidth exhaust from CenturyLink for years. This is not something their "engineers" are going to solve, unless the company decides to reduce their number of customers or buys/rents more bandwidth hardware.

I'd switch companies right away unless the price difference is unaffordable.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/08/17 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would choose cable over DSL every time, if economically feasible.

Sounds like you're getting hosed.

PostPosted: 10/08/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. You've pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago. I run speed test periodically to check and then I started noticing the slow downs and disconnects. My computer is 7-8 years old so I first suspected that was the problem. Then I wondered about the modem as it's also getting kind of old.

My plan is to change. I'm in the beginning of remodeling/construction. I'm kind of waiting to see where everything ends up so that I can get someone in to do the install. I used to do stuff like that myself, but I haven't done if for so long and with so many changes, I'll feel better (i.e.: less frustrated) if someone else does it.

I currently have DTV and CenturyLink. The only other choices I have are Comcast (which I don't like) or Dish. Not really excited about either one. I don't like the weather interruptions of satellite. Such is life in rural America!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/08/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have DTV, and use cable (Optimum AKA Cablevision AKA the ass who owns the Knicks/MSG/ etc etc empire) for the internet.

I pay for 60mbps and usually get in the area of 50 down and 25 up.

PostPosted: 10/12/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a billboard today.

"The Speed You Need."

"Our fastest internet ever!"

-CenturyLink

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: