Dan Hughes named coach of Storm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 10/06/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
So who would have been a better choice?

I think most would've generally been more excited by a name that meant nothing to them.

Less to gripe about but don't know about being excited. At least I don't remember excitement about Stocks or Miller. Although Miller had been a head coach somewhere so his bio could read "led" instead of nothing but "helped lead" for Stocks.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/06/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
They won a championship with Agler, but his style of riding the starters did them no favors this year.

Come on...Agler had the sparks in position to win the championship...up 2-1 with a chance to close minny out at home in game 4.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/06/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
tfan wrote:
They won a championship with Agler, but his style of riding the starters did them no favors this year.

Come on...Agler had the sparks in position to win the championship...up 2-1 with a chance to close minny out at home in game 4.

My gut says the outcome of the last two games and regular season record would have been better if he played his bench more. But I am surprised to see that Carson only played 4 minutes less per game this year off the bench. But in the playoffs she played 13 minutes a game less. And in the end, Minnesota had 4 Olympians and Brunson.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/06/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, Cooper, Continental, Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, Nexen, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, Cooper, Continental, Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, Nexen, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, Cooper, Continental, Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, Nexen, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, Cooper, Continental, Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, Nexen, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, Cooper, Continental, Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, Nexen, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, Cooper, Continental, Toyo, Hankook, Kumho, Nexen . . . . . Watch Us Work!
Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/06/17 6:41 pm    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:
My only concern is whether Kaleena will get more playing time.
I don't understand how the NCAA all time leading three point shooter is riding the bench.

To be brutally honest, an out of shape one-trick pony simply doesn't get much time on the floor in the W.

Her release is too slow for the faster defenses in the WNBA. She has been given plenty of chance to get into games and shoot and has a 32% lifetime 3p%. That sort of performance plus being a poor defender and out of shape is why she is riding the bench.

YlwJckt999

PostPosted: 10/07/17 6:30 pm    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:
I don't understand how the NCAA all time leading three point shooter is riding the bench.

To be brutally honest, an out of shape one-trick pony simply doesn't get much time on the floor in the W.

Umm.....Danielle Adams?

pilight

PostPosted: 10/07/17 6:44 pm    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:

Umm.....Danielle Adams?

Adams doesn't get much floor time

PostPosted: 10/07/17 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hughes has been a good coach with perimeter-oriented teams before. I'm confident there will be more of the same here.

PostPosted: 10/07/17 8:22 pm    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:

Umm.....Danielle Adams?

She used to though. Especially any time a guard brushed past her.

PostPosted: 10/07/17 9:12 pm    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:

Umm.....Danielle Adams?

She used to though. Especially any time a guard brushed past her.
Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/07/17 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
...But in the end, Minnesota does have 4 Olympians and Brunson.

says it all

blaase22

PostPosted: 10/08/17 2:15 am    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:

Umm.....Danielle Adams?

Adams is the reason Stewart is on the storm and not the stars hmmm,
Hughes did not seem to want to lose that last game in the 2015 season.

YlwJckt999

PostPosted: 10/08/17 10:37 am    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
pilight wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:

Umm.....Danielle Adams?

Adams is the reason Stewart is on the storm and not the stars hmmm,
Hughes did not seem to want to lose that last game in the 2015 season.

Adams had about 3-4years of significant playing time (>20mpg). KML is practically svelt compared to Adams and a much better shooter.

It is not clear to me why she is not playing much. Her supposed replacement Whitcomb gets just as much/little time.

My hope is that with a coaching change comes a second opportunity

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/08/17 11:38 am    ::: Re: KML Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:

KML is practically svelt compared to Adams and a much better shooter.

But is she really? At the WNBA level? Professional sports are "prove it" leagues. What you did in college is forgotten pretty quickly if you can't maintain that level in the pros.

Adams got playing time because she came out of the gate hitting her shots at a high clip. Remember, she even won a rookie of the month award in June of 2011. She was a liability on defense, but hitting her shots made it feasible to play her. And even then, as tine has gone on and she hasn't improved on that end better options have cut her play time dramatically.

KML didn't hit her shots in the time she was given. When she was asked to "prove it" in the minutes she had, she didn't do it. She isn't going to be put out there with her terrible defense if she isn't performing at a ridiculously high level on the offensive end. And she has never shown she can do that consistently.

PostPosted: 10/08/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KML looked good in the beginning of the season when she came back in better shape after her overseas play. Then she injured her knee and it sat her back again. Bad lucky IMO. Lets see what another year overseas does for her condition and game

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/08/17 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also shooting ability for someone who can at least masquerade as a post is transformative in a different way from a wing who can shoot. Unless you're really exceptional in other ways, being able to at least vaguely shoot is pretty much expected from perimeter players. From bigs it's unusual, and can be very useful.

And KML's shooting hasn't been good enough for someone where that's virtually their only skill. She's barely league-average from three-point range, so if you're not bringing anything else to the table, you're not gonna play.

PostPosted: 10/09/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hughes came to visit Stewie, rockin' a Popovich/Kerr 2020 T shirt

zune69

PostPosted: 10/09/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great pickup by seattle....Dan is one of the better coaches in the wnba despite his record.With the exception of B.Hammon,Dan really never had great talent in san antonio.S.Young was good but she was a undersized PF,and a liability on defense.For most of Dan's tenure in san Antonio,his starting centers were a past her prime R.Riley,and J.Appel.....Dan at the very least has one young superstar(Stewart),and another top 20 player(Loyd).All seattle needs to do now is upgrade the sf & center positions.Then add some bench depth.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/11/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hughes was also the GM in SA. so if he had no talent, that was on him.

from WNBA.com:

The winningest coach in San Antonio Stars history, Dan Hughes returns for his ninth season in 2014. In his dual appointment as head coach and general manager, Hughes oversees the Stars’ basketball staff, the team’s roster development and all player acquisitions, while also coaching the team. Hughes stepped aside as head coach to assume a full-time general manager role for the 2010 season and resumed his dual roles in 2011.

PostPosted: 10/11/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

from WNBA.com:

The winningest coach in San Antonio Stars history, Dan Hughes returns for his ninth season in 2014. In his dual appointment as head coach and general manager, Hughes oversees the Stars’ basketball staff, the team’s roster development and all player acquisitions, while also coaching the team. Hughes stepped aside as head coach to assume a full-time general manager role for the 2010 season and resumed his dual roles in 2011.

Dan likes to have control so I'm pretty most if not all player movement decisions will be his, like it was for Cooper.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/11/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

from WNBA.com:

I call a little bit of bs on that one. The Storm got LJ and Birdy back to back because we sucked and thats why we won 2 championships. There is luck involved if whoever lands in your lap. He didnt get those kind of players. All he had was Hammon and she couldnt do it all by herself

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/12/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

from WNBA.com:

Dan likes to have control so I'm pretty most if not all player movement decisions will be his, like it was for Cooper.

Not according to him...he only took the job he said because he wants to coach not be GM. Listen to my podcast.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/12/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

from WNBA.com:

Not according to him...he only took the job he said because he wants to coach not be GM. Listen to my podcast.

I already know why he said he didn't want to be GM from when he first took the job. He said he didn't want to have to coach players who might resent him for actions in contract negotiations. That doesn't mean he didn't want control on who comes and goes on the team. All coaches should want that. Read my posts.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/12/17 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

from WNBA.com:

I already know why he said he didn't want to be GM from when he first took the job. He said he didn't want to have to coach players who might resent him for actions in contract negotiations. That doesn't mean he didn't want control on who comes and goes on the team. All coaches should want that. Read my posts.

Okay, you know best Rolling Eyes

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/12/17 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

from WNBA.com:

I think I'm gonna go with the guy who actually talked to him both on the record and on background over the guy who read something online.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: