RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:44 pm    ::: Minnesota Lynx 2018 Reply Reply with quote

Pierson retires. I think everyone else returns. Need a post to replace Pierson(draft? FA?).

PG: Whalen/Montgomery/Jones
SG: Augustus/Perkins
SF: Moore/Zandalasini
PF: Brunson/Howard/draft pick
C: Fowles/Fagbenle

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
blaase22

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perkins should retire also.
Hoping they luck into getting Nurse or Brown in the draft to take Perkins place.

mannman

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see Dantas back.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget, Anna Cruz is still out there too.

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Maybe use her to bring home Banham?

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I love Banham, but she would need to improve her defense dramatically to find playing time on a Reeve coached team. Perkins' role is that of a high pressure, steal creating defender. If you are looking at Banham as an eventual replacement for Jia, it is that end of the court that is going to matter most.

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I love Banham, but she would need to improve her defense dramatically to find playing time on a Reeve coached team. Perkins' role is that of a high pressure, steal creating defender. If you are looking at Banham as an eventual replacement for Jia, it is that end of the court that is going to matter most.

Jia will be 36 next season, I think she's done. no offense to her she helped the past two years.
Alexis will take her minutes and Banham can hopefully rejuvenise her career back in Minny. Or the Lynx pick Lexi Brown or kia Nurse in the draft.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/04/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Jia will be 36 next season, I think she's done. no offense to her she helped the past two years.
Alexis will take her minutes and Banham can hopefully rejuvenise her career back in Minny. Or the Lynx pick Lexi Brown or kia Nurse in the draft.

I would say there is a decent chance Perkins is done. By the end of the season I liked what I was seeing from Alexis, so hopefully she takes that next step on the defensive end as she gets more playing time and gets more accustomed to the Lynx team defense.

I would love it if we could get Banham to come home on the cheap. But that is what it would have to be right now, cheap. I really don't want to overpay for hope and a potential upside if her defensive struggles keeps her on Reeve's bench.

I also liked what I saw from Zandalasini in such a short time. She could be another promising young wing for the Lynx.

PostPosted: 10/04/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like I said in the temporary Lynx 2018 thread, Perkins only stays if she takes about a $45,000 pay cut.

There's somebody else I'd like to make the team (more than Zandal) but don't really want to talk about it with all the spies out there.

Nurse would be good with the first round pick.
I might be willing to nibble on the hype from Russia.

The idea blaase stole from me would be good, but I'm not as high on that since AJones seems to be working out.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of bringing in gophers Zahui B and #22 for #12.

I actually don't think it is that bad of a trade for either team.

My fear Zahui B goes to Minnesota figures out her game in the W after another strong season over-seas and makes NY look stupid. (I would still do it though.)

blaase22

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

My fear Zahui B goes to Minnesota figures out her game in the W after another strong season over-seas and makes NY look stupid. (I would still do it though.)

Sorry no I have a feeling someone good will be there at 12 that will be a much better player in the w than Zahui B.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Sorry no I have a feeling someone good will be there at 12 that will be a much better player in the w than Zahui B.

The team that wins the WNBA Title most years is the team the acquired a former Liberty player. That's why last year I was scared to death the Sparks were going to win it all right after finding out they signed Essence Carson. Very Happy

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Nurse would be a great pick for the Lynx at #12. I think Jones has the potential to be really good in the W if she stays healthy and Nurse would be a great counter part to Alexis. A Nurse/Jones back-court could keep the Lynx at a pretty high level if and when Whalen and Augustus move on.

Nared would be a nice back up for Maya at #12 if Nurse and Brown are off the board.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/17 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Nurse would be a great pick for the Lynx at #12. I think Jones has the potential to be really good in the W if she stays healthy and Nurse would be a great counter part to Alexis. A Nurse/Jones back-court could keep the Lynx at a pretty high level if and when Whalen and Augustus move on.

Okay... deal. Now all that has to happen is that 11 teams pass on Nurse but she's still attractive to the Lynx.... kinda like what happen with AJones. AJones had knee injury concerns that may have dropped her stock, but she got so much rest for her knees from sitting on the bench that it might have cleared up on its own.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/05/17 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Okay... deal. Now all that has to happen is that 11 teams pass on Nurse but she's still attractive to the Lynx.... kinda like what happen with AJones. AJones had knee injury concerns that may have dropped her stock, but she got so much rest for her knees from sitting on the bench that it might have cleared up on its own.

All you need is a couple of early entries (Steven, McGowan) and a couple of teams to go with Canada, Nared and L. Brown ahead of Nurse and she could be there at #12.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/05/17 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I wouldn’t mind having Zahui B back in Minny and her going off Very Happy As long as she can stay on the floor without fouling.

I saw a tweet about Montgomery retiring and congratulating her getting a ring before retiring but I’m sure not I believe it. It could’ve just be a friend making fun of her.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing about Zahui is she wants to be a finesse player instead of a physical one, so long term with Minnesota she'd have to transform her body through a lot of hard work to be the type of physical player that Reeve has gotten accustomed to.

What's unfair is that players like Fowles, Brunson, the Ogwumikes, Charles, GJohnson, and maybe Griner are naturally who they are without a ton of effort. Players like Zahui, Stokes, Lavender, Plaisance, Dantas, and several etc's need to hit the gym hard to approach the physiques of the first group. I'm not sure Zahui has that in her. I'd love to see that level of determination in her or any player for that matter.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/05/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realistic attempt at Minn

If not NY this could be a good landing place for Swords. Can they afford to do that and pay Howard who is an UFA. Would another team offer Howard a max contract? And would that force Minn to decide between keeping Howard and going with 11, or trying to save a little money on Howard and another free agent while Pierson and possibly Perkins retire?

Cross fingers that Nurse falls to 12 and draft Nurse for the future (or maybe even as a replacement for Perkins if she decides to retire). Nurse instead of Perkins also lowers the salary by a chunk, maybe enough to bring back Ting. and go with a 12 player roster.

Whalen/Montgomery/A. Jones
Augustus/Nurse
Moore/Ting
Brunson/Howard
Fowles/Swords/Fagbenle

Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/17 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know you feel some kind of obligation to place Swords on some team, but I've never been high on her. I wasn't feeling that trade for SEA, so I'm not feeling her for MIN either, even if she didn't cost them anything other than her salary.

The Lynx avoided playing current backup center Fagbenle as much as possible, so if they did go for Swords, I can't see them holding onto Fagbenle unless there was more than a glimmer of hope for her working out long term.

I'd be much more interested in Langhorne for nothing.

Whalen/Montgomery/AJones
Augustus/CW
Moore/Howard
Brunson/Langhorne
Fowles/Vadeeva

Adding Langhorne and giving Howard a raise might force MIN to 11 again.

Whalen/Montgomery/AJones
Augustus/Nurse
Moore/CW
Brunson/Howard/cheaper FA than Langhorne?
Fowles/Fagbenle

The youth injection is making this roster not look that good.

Too many PG's for my liking, but I guess AJones is big enough to put at SG.

I'm trying to get CW a free ride on the Lynx similar to what they did with Shae Kelly in 2015. More deserving player as far as I'm concerned.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/06/17 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm fine with Swords just coming back to NY if it is for free, but I realize she isn't great. In Minny's case I think she would be a nice 10-12 minute a night back up for Fowles. And she can definitely give you more than Fagbenle.

I like the Langhorne idea, it does keep Minny way up on the cap and maybe at 11 max. But Langhorne can score more than Brunson and plays undersized center in Seattle so she can back up Fowles as well.

Not sure who CW is?

Do you think A. Jones is ready if Montgomery retires or decides to sign somewhere else? Would you consider Monty a trade option if you want to increase cap flexibility?

What about Ting? I thought she looked good in pre-season?

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/06/17 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CW would be Carlie Wagner of the Gophers.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://m.startribune.com/veteran-lynx-could-drive-for-five/449693063/

Quote:
“Drive for five,” the players yelled. “Drive for five.”

Quote:
It doesn’t look like the players are willing to settle for four. So what are the prospects of another run?

Good, Reeve insists.

Quote:
“A.J. has a skill set that we haven’t had in a guard,’’ Reeve said. “We haven’t had a guard, in a pick-and-roll, who can break someone’s ankles, freeze someone, get a floater up, shoot the three. We’re excited about A.J.’’

Quote:
One way or another, some changes are coming: “You’ll see us probably be very aggressive in exploring options of ways to improve our team,’’ Reeve said.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do they bring Ting back for another shot? Especially if Perkins does retire. I think Reeve explores getting a post to replace Pierson.

PG: Whalen/Jones
SG: Augustus/Montgomery
SF: Moore/Zandalasini/Ting
PF: Brunson/Howard
C: Fowles/Fagnenle/draft pick

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 10/06/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Do they bring Ting back for another shot? Especially if Perkins does retire. I think Reeve explores getting a post to replace Pierson.

PG: Whalen/Jones
SG: Augustus/Montgomery
SF: Moore/Zandalasini/Ting
PF: Brunson/Howard
C: Fowles/Fagnenle/draft pick

Perhaps, but if Reeve is talking "aggressive" I don't think that is what she has in mind. And any replacement for Perkins I think would have to be a defensive minded player. Reeve likes the flexibility of being able to rotate in players who have the fast hands and can bring tight ball pressure from the bench. It is pretty necessary with Whalen and Augustus aging and exposing their defense more, especially against quick and agile wings.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
http://m.startribune.com/veteran-lynx-could-drive-for-five/449693063

Whalen - Signed
Augustus - Signed
Moore - Signed
Brunson - UFA that wants to stay
Fowles - Signed

Howard - RFA that team wants to keep
Pierson - Retiring
Perkins - UFA that is undecided. If they let her know how much of a pay cut they're expecting, I could see her retiring, but 70K-80K (my guess) isn't exactly a drop in the bucket.
Montgomery - UFA that team is undecided on. They are apparently high on AJones. Could they be plotting for Banham? I suppose they can't show their cards too much in an article.
AJones - Signed and a keeper.
Fagbenle - Signed. Team will watch her progress overseas in Poland.
Zandalasini - Reserved. Team claims to be excited about her, but you can't claim that all these changes are coming and still be excited about most everybody already on the team.

No mention of Ting unless they're trying to stay down low about her. If they liked her so much, why wouldn't they bring her back instead of bring in Zandalasini? It might be time to move on from notions of Ting.

No mention of Cruz, but this author might not be that engaged. Might be another down low thing the Lynx.

I feel kinda bad for Monty. The Lynx didn't really appreciate her when they drafted her in 2009. They made her a part of big Whalen trade. They trade back for her mid-2015, and she kind of saves the Lynx's butt through all their guard injuries. In 2016, she gets an offer from the Liberty but turns it down to stay with Minnesota. In 2017, she saves Lynx butt again when Whalen goes down with injury. May not have been a world beater but she kept the ship afloat. I doubt Monty wants to go somewhere else now if she stayed in 2016, but the team isn't showing loyalty back to her? Doesn't really sit that well with me, unless they bring in somebody really good. Relying on AJones as the only backup PG at this point seems a bit risky if they're serious about a Drive For Five.

Any notion of Monty wanting to retire seems laughable considering the ages of the rest of the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: