RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Taurasi, Parker, Moore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of these three current greats has the best argument as the "greatest of all time"?
Diana Taurasi
46%
 46%  [ 30 ]
Candace Parker
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Maya Moore
37%
 37%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 64

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/05/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
Maybe with her 2nd FMVP tonight? Wink

She'd have to win one first.

Who do you think won in 2013?

I clearly blanked on the entire 2013 season. Oops Laughing Embarassed

Genero36

PostPosted: 10/05/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never took the question of this thread as if any of them are the best ever. I took the question as to which of the three options would make the best argument for themselves.

To the naked eye, Taurasi is one of the best five players this league has ever employed (along with Cooper, Jackson, Leslie and Swoopes). Of course the last three have six DPOY honors between them.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
It’s Diana....and it’s not close.

I agree with this.

Diana is a much better passer than the other two, and is in my opinion one of the top five passers of all time. She may be the top three point shooter of all time -- not in terms of statistical percentage, but in the ability to get them off consistently and accurately under intense defensive pressure.

Finally, with her ability to control the ball with her dribbling, driving, passing and shooting skills, Diana can control the entire game more comprehensively than Parker or Moore. She's much more of an on court leader.
blaase22

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:41 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi, Parker, Moore Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Personally, I don't think any one of these three women can be considered the Greatest of All Time.

Agreed. Hard for me to rank anyone of these three the GOAT when the one in Minnesota played for a Hall of Fame coach in Connecticut with a great system surrounded by great players and proceeded to have the same environment in Minnesota. While Taurasi does have three rings, she's also been in the lottery five times, technically four if we're not counting 2012. Parker doesn't really have a strong resume in part due to injuries and not giving a full 100% effort day in and out.

But didn't Houston have THREE of the best players of all time at the same time and a great coach and great system also.

blaase22

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I agree with this.

Diana is a much better passer than the other two, and is in my opinion one of the top five passers of all time. She may be the top three point shooter of all time -- not in terms of statistical percentage, but in the ability to get them off consistently and accurately under intense defensive pressure.

Finally, with her ability to control the ball with her dribbling, driving, passing and shooting skills, Diana can control the entire game more comprehensively than Parker or Moore. She's much more of an on court leader.

Basketball aint all about offense, Diana doesn't play defense.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I agree with this.

Right now, I would agree. Taurasi has been so elite for so many years. It's hard to make a case for anyone else. Now whether in 10 years that remains the case will be another question. If Moore keeps up her play, especially as the other Lynx stars retire, she could easily unseat Taurasi.

While Taurasi is a better ball handler, Maya isn't that far back as a passer. But the place that Taurasi is vulnerable is on defense. It isn't just that she isn't an elite defender, it's that she is a terrible defender. Maya on the other hand is a 2x all-defense team member.

But Taurasi has done it and is now at the end of her career. For Moore to overtake her she still has to go out and prove it, and a lot of things can happen. I mean in 2010 Lauren Jackson would have been in tbis discussion and likely drawn more than a few votes. But injuries are the devil.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Diana is a much better passer than the other two.

Much better than a 6-4 PF who lead the league in assists in 2015, 3rd in 2016, and top ten in 2014 and 2017? Parker’s vision and passing ability is underrated, IMO.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I like Parker.Taurasi/Moore would never have the close out game 4 performances Parker had the last two finals,at home no less.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/05/17 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I agree with this.

Basketball aint all about offense, Diana doesn't play defense.

Diana is old now, and was always a part of teams that didn't focus on defense.
She's an average defender, and in the playoffs on her championship teams, she was above average.

Her offensive ability is/was so far ahead of everyone else, that, IMO, it overcomes her being weaker on defense than some other great players.

That all being said, I think it's difficult to compare posts and guards. How can we really say who was better, LJ or DT? LJ was more dominant, DT was more skilled. That's the nature of post vs. guard. I prefer guards, so I'm always going to be biased there..but both positions exist for a reason.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moore hasn't blown off games and seasons like Taurasi and Parker have, so she gets extra credit from me.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Moore hasn't blown off games and seasons like Taurasi and Parker have, so she gets extra credit from me.

Not yet. Even though it seems like she's been around forever, Moore is only 28 years old.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Not yet. Even though it seems like she's been around forever, Moore is only 28 years old.

If she proves to have as little commitment as they do, I'll adjust my thought process Wink

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/06/17 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

If she proves to have as little commitment as they do, I'll adjust my thought process Wink

Actually, that's an interesting point, as Moore is getting to the age that taking some time off really starts to make sense. If she does, then does she skip a WNBA season, or the far more lucrative overseas season?

If she doesn't take some time off, burnout and/or injury becomes more and more possible, if not likely.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moore hasn't done 'overseas' like many, including Taurasi, have though. She's played the much shorter and less competitive Chinese season, and already sat out at least one offeason entirely. This isn't the eight-month grind of domestic and continental European competition that Taurasi played in for year after year.

So the considerations aren't quite the same, or at least not yet.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Her and ace are neck and neck for biggest whiners.

No Way. Ace is the biggest whinner of all, even tried to be the ref in one game. ALWAYS running to the ref!

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/06/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Her and ace are neck and neck for biggest whiners.

No Way. Ace is the biggest whinner of all, even tried to be the ref in one game. ALWAYS running to the ref!

Let's be fair, it would be significantly easier to list the star players who don't whine/complain to the refs. Maya, too, does more than her share of it. And we can't really blame them, because it works. Expecting a competitor to not use every legal tool in her disposal to win a game is not realistic. If the league has an issue with it, it is up to them to police it stricter.

I guess a tangential argument could be made against Taurasi for picking up so many techs that she has been suspended under the Taurasi Rule on a bunch of occasions, but those missed games are really not super significant when looked at in the scope of an entire career.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya was always drafted onto a team full of winners.

She should've been drafted to the Tulsa Shock should the lottery had panned out as expected.

She also went to UConn.

Had Maya gone to say Georgia and Tulsa Shock, would her legacy be far different? She didn't when at UConn when it was all on her.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson ... GOAT.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Lauren Jackson ... GOAT.

I'd probably agree, though Leslie and Swoopes would have an argument as well. I didn't see much of Cooper and her time was so limited in the WNBA, I think she is hard to assess.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

She got drafted onto a team that went 13-21, was seven years removed from their last playoff appearance, and whose major offseason acquisition was an undersized 40-year-old center.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Lauren Jackson ... GOAT.

LJ is the Jim Brown of women's basketball, imo. Had injuries not hampered her after 2010, I think she would be the GOAT hands down. She was just hitting her stride...and then she was never the same.

But when we discuss GOAT, the ability to have a long career matters greatly. If we were just going to ask who the Greatest of 2001-2010 was, it's clearly LJ.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

Oh yeah, what was their record in 2010?

I am a witness in the change of culture once Maya joined the team. It started with her and revolved around her and still does more than anyone else. Nobody is driven to win more than Maya. Nobody does things the right way to help her achieve success. That rubs off her teammates. She makes her teammates better wherever she goes. It's not all luck with Maya, unless you're willing to look foolish and say she's been lucky all her life and that's all it's ever been.

Hoops9092 wrote:
She should've been drafted to the Tulsa Shock should the lottery had panned out as expected.

Hard to say. Her culture and influence follows her.

Hoops9092 wrote:
She also went to UConn.

Taurasi went to UConn. Parker went to Tennessee. Did they not contribute to the success of their teams? Seems like Tennessee was never the same once Maya joined UConn.

Hoops9092 wrote:
Had Maya gone to say Georgia and Tulsa Shock, would her legacy be far different? She didn't when at UConn when it was all on her.

Do you play the "what if" game with anyone who achieves any kind of sustained success? Seems like sour grapes to me.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/06/17 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

She got drafted onto a team that went 13-21, was seven years removed from their last playoff appearance, and whose major offseason acquisition was an undersized 40-year-old center.

All facts, but hard to ignore that she joined a team that had 11 All Star appearances combined before she even got there. That's damn near unheard of for a team that was so bad before. What other lottery pick has been drafted to a team with that many? I'm guessing Candace Parker?

PostPosted: 10/06/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

All facts, but hard to ignore that she joined a team that had 11 All Star appearances combined before she even got there. That's damn near unheard of for a team that was so bad before. What other lottery pick has been drafted to a team with that many? I'm guessing Candace Parker?

Brittney Griner

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/06/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

She got drafted onto a team who went 13-21 because both their SGs - #1 draft pick Augustus and 6th woman Wiggins - went out with injuries early in the 2010 season and they were forced to play their rookie Wright there. Even then, they barely missed the playoffs. Their 2011 lineup (top 7 players) consisted of 2 #1 picks and 3 other lottery picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: