RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Way Too Early: The 2018 WNBA Champions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the 2018 WNBA Championship?
Atlanta Dream
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Chicago Sky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Los Angeles Sparks
31%
 31%  [ 15 ]
Connecticut Sun
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Minnesota Lynx
25%
 25%  [ 12 ]
San Antonio Stars
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Dallas Wings
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Seattle Storm
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Indiana Fever
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
New York Liberty
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Phoenix Mercury
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Washington Mystics
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 47

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:39 pm    ::: Way Too Early: The 2018 WNBA Champions Reply Reply with quote

Who's your pick in 2018?

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lets skip regular season and just watch Lynx vs. sparks PT.3 lol

PostPosted: 10/05/17 3:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A way too early bold prediction: neither Lynx or Sparks make the 2018 finals.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/05/17 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you will now see with the 4th title some big names in Minnesota retire...Whalen most likely tho as well as Montgomery has played that's not as big as it sounds...but I wouldn't be shocked to see Brunson or Simone (with her knees) go as well...and that's not counting pierson who already retired or Perkins. I think many of the core now have gone out on top...we will see what the next 30 days bring.

I voted libs because I'm a hopeless case...no logic behind it lol

Trending Up

Sparks (Think they're here to stay...agler is the joe torre of women's basketball in terms of Ego management. They just hit a team that needed it more than wanted it and Still had 2 chances to close it out)

Libs: I think they found the system and that led to a 10 game streak...now they will build to suit that system...I do expect major changes and FA signings, remember, they have cap room

Sun: Not sure how they intergrate Cheney back with A Thomas proving she's a 4 not a 3...but Agler had a similar situation 2 years ago with Lav Nekka and Parker...we know how that ended...pretty well...need to sign/draft depth tho. tuck and Banham not cutting it.

Dallas: If the Cambage rumors are correct WATCH OUT...they have the talent to explode more than the Sun did last year

Trending Down:

Seattle: Because the solution to having Stewie and Lloyd too reined in is to rein her in more with a Defensive coach years past his prime!

Lynx: The cracks showed with Injuries...not a 98 Bulls situation because Moore and Fowles...but I think you see some retirements and they do not have much homegrown youth below...Patching with FAs never seems to work well at the elite level in the W consider this...Your down to howard as your starting 4 if Brunson leaves and she may very well.

Atlanta: Cooper left them a MESS...lots of talent but how does angel fit back in or do you move her...where does sykes play and will you finally replace the Nursing Home case known as Sancho Lyttle? and about that lottery pick for a UFA and a player stuck behind Williams?

Sky: I think the full rebuild starts in earnest despite new arena, Sloot and Quigs just didn't have enough, with 2 lottery picks...I think they build around those two...maybe Sloot and Quigs fit...maybe they don't depends where the balls land

Other 4 stay in place more or less.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you will now see with the 4th title some big names in Minnesota retire...Whalen most likely tho as well as Montgomery has played that's not as big as it sounds...but I wouldn't be shocked to see Brunson or Simone (with her knees) go as well...and that's not counting pierson who already retired or Perkins. I think many of the core now have gone out on top...we will see what the next 30 days bring.

I voted libs because I'm a hopeless case...no logic behind it lol

Trending Up

Sparks (Think they're here to stay...agler is the joe torre of women's basketball in terms of Ego management. They just hit a team that needed it more than wanted it and Still had 2 chances to close it out)

Libs: I think they found the system and that led to a 10 game streak...now they will build to suit that system...I do expect major changes and FA signings, remember, they have cap room

Sun: Not sure how they intergrate Cheney back with A Thomas proving she's a 4 not a 3...but Agler had a similar situation 2 years ago with Lav Nekka and Parker...we know how that ended...pretty well...need to sign/draft depth tho. tuck and Banham not cutting it.

Dallas: If the Cambage rumors are correct WATCH OUT...they have the talent to explode more than the Sun did last year

Trending Down:

Seattle: Because the solution to having Stewie and Lloyd too reined in is to rein her in more with a Defensive coach years past his prime!

Lynx: The cracks showed with Injuries...not a 98 Bulls situation because Moore and Fowles...but I think you see some retirements and they do not have much homegrown youth below...Patching with FAs never seems to work well at the elite level in the W consider this...Your down to howard as your starting 4 if Brunson leaves and she may very well.

Atlanta: Cooper left them a MESS...lots of talent but how does angel fit back in or do you move her...where does sykes play and will you finally replace the Nursing Home case known as Sancho Lyttle? and about that lottery pick for a UFA and a player stuck behind Williams?

Sky: I think the full rebuild starts in earnest despite new arena, Sloot and Quigs just didn't have enough, with 2 lottery picks...I think they build around those two...maybe Sloot and Quigs fit...maybe they don't depends where the balls land

Other 4 stay in place more or less.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Connecticut could seriously make a solid run in 2018 with their young roster & depth. Minnesota's aging starters will be their test and LA has the question of who is exactly returning.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
adamj95

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen isn’t retiring yet. I would think the same with Brunson and Augustus. Last year will probably be the last with Brunson and at least one of Whalen and Augustus.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Connecticut could seriously make a solid run in 2018 with their young roster & depth. Minnesota's aging starters will be their test and LA has the question of who is exactly returning.

What depth?

I see the Sun as a team with greatly talented starting lineup with awesome chemistry. But depth? Miller basically went to a 6-man rotation against Phoenix in playoffs...

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Whalen isn’t retiring yet. I would think the same with Brunson and Augustus. Last year will probably be the last with Brunson and at least one of Whalen and Augustus.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Did you mean "next year" instead of "last year"?

This Lynx group's legacy is secured, but there's even more legacy to attain if they so choose. How about first team (and same group) to reach 5 championships, instead of just Brunson being the one with 5 championships?

If Bird and Taurasi are projecting through 2020, I'm not sure why Lynx players would be contemplating retirement just yet. They've already shown that the WNBA is more important to them than overseas. Who would want to be the first to walk away from this group and possibly let the team down?

I saw a couple of articles where it said players were trying to talk Pierson out of retirement. Why would they try to talk Pierson out of retirement and then retire themselves? Doesn't make a lot of sense, but we will see what lies ahead.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40

PostPosted: 10/05/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Did you mean "next year" instead of "last year"?

This Lynx group's legacy is secured, but there's even more legacy to attain if they so choose. How about first team (and same group) to reach 5 championships, instead of just Brunson being the one with 5 championships?

If Bird and Taurasi are projecting through 2020, I'm not sure why Lynx players would be contemplating retirement just yet. They've already shown that the WNBA is more important to them than overseas. Who would want to be the first to walk away from this group and possibly let the team down?

I saw a couple of articles where it said players were trying to talk Pierson out of retirement. Why would they try to talk Pierson out of retirement and then retire themselves? Doesn't make a lot of sense, but we will see what lies ahead.

One of the things I think will really help this core stay together is their unselfishness. If the team needs it to happen, I can't see any of them refusing to come off the bench. You don't get that with every elite (or formerly elite) player.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta's fortunes will depend heavily on who the coach is. With angel, the talent is there to be competitive.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

I meant next year. Not last.

PostPosted: 10/05/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Wings easily

PostPosted: 10/05/17 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waay too early is right. Have to see who retires, who is injured, where the FA's go, what happens at the college level/draft...but it's fun to conjecture anyway.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/05/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Your team will be better off if she does retire. You gotta get some youth in there sometime and it's better to not have to do it all at once when three starters retire...as could happen next year. Cheryl needs to be out recruiting some tasty FAs somewhere. I liked A. Jones in college and think she will work out for you so that's one (ONE) young player. Howard is sorta ok but probably always as a 6th or 7th player. This year's draft is deep. Maybe get a gem at #12 or trade up...see if you can get something for Montgomery. I know you'd like to keep her but she is over 30 as well and it depends on what you think you could get with a higher pick.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Your team will be better off if she does retire.

It doesn't really matter to me either way. If she's willing to work for cheap and the players love her, I'm not going to gripe. What seems to be lost is the point that core players aren't going to be retiring themselves if they're asking Pierson to stay. Earlier, somebody was suggesting there would be mass retirements after this season.

myrtle wrote:
You gotta get some youth in there sometime and it's better to not have to do it all at once when three starters retire...as could happen next year.

After next season? You have some insider intel?

myrtle wrote:
Cheryl needs to be out recruiting some tasty FAs somewhere.

I don't think it's that tough of a job like it used to be B.M. (before Maya)
Hey, we have Fowles, Maya, Reeve, Glen Taylor, the best practice facility in the league, a newly renovated full-sized stadium, and 4 trophies. Who wants to win a championship?

Seattle, in all their infinite wisdom, seems to be letting Langhorne decide for herself where she wants to end up next year. This is too easy. There may be similar options elsewhere.

myrtle wrote:
I liked A. Jones in college and think she will work out for you so that's one (ONE) young player.

Looking good so far. Hopefully she can keep it up and be patient for whatever amount of time it'll take for her to be at a starter level. The expectation level is high at PG for Reeve, so who knows if she'll ever reach that kind of level. But she's definitely looking more promising than the PG prospects we've seen in the past.

myrtle wrote:
Howard is sorta ok but probably always as a 6th or 7th player.

I think she's better than okay, but trending more towards a 3/4 instead of a 4/3 unless she can add some muscle weight. Don't get Zune started. He's a little obsessed with the Lynx trading away one of their younger "vets".

myrtle wrote:
Maybe get a gem at #12 or trade up

I've got a couple gems in mind. Maybe even get a secret gem in the 3rd round.

myrtle wrote:
see if you can get something for Montgomery. I know you'd like to keep her but she is over 30 as well

I don't know about that. She's obviously a great chemistry player, and she's earned the right to stay if she likes. She could have left the Lynx in 2016 since they left her uncored to core Fowles. She stayed loyal and we needed her obviously. I say she stays, especially if Whalen is leaving soon and AJones probably won't be ready as a high-level starter.

On the Lynx, 30 ain't dirty.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/05/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If LA gets a shooter, they win.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: