RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do you hate the Dream?

I think Hayes should be traded unless she signs an extension. We can't core Hayes and Her Majesty both and we know the Dream owners and fans will stick with Angel all the way to the gate of hell.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
The one reasonable target in this scenario would be, as zune69 has mentioned, Tiffany Hayes. I wouldn't make that 1for1 personally. I don't think going from Hill to Hayes is close to being significant enough to give up on Emma.

Would you rather have Sykes?

For Hightower? Sure. Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
The one reasonable target in this scenario would be, as zune69 has mentioned, Tiffany Hayes. I wouldn't make that 1for1 personally. I don't think going from Hill to Hayes is close to being significant enough to give up on Emma.

And I thought pilight hated the Dream. For a fan of Hill this seems pretty amazing.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
pilight wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

And I thought pilight hated the Dream. For a fan of Hill this seems pretty amazing.

I have nothing against the Dream. Hill doesn't take more shots than her superior teammates and doesn't hurt the team that way.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Delle Donne also had a total of 5 assist this series, your not going to beat a team like Minnesota if your best player doesn't look to pass the ball. I don't think Delle Donne should be used at the 3, she's more of a Power Forward.

I agree that she's more of a power forward, but who's she going to pass to? TRP? Cloud?

Granted, she's not a great passer, but when you're maybe the best pure scorer in the game, what's the percentage play?

PostPosted: 09/18/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington is in really good shape

draft Nared at #8 for back up SF

Bring Hill off the bench to add scoring to the 2nd unit, have TRP start to add defense to the first unit

Toliver/Latta
TRP/Hill/SWK
EDD/Nared
Messeman/Hawkins
K. Thomas/

#11 roster spot Sanders or a post off the waiver wire #12 roster spot Cloud or Hightower

EDD and/or Nared can give you some minutes at the PF spot against the right teams, just as Messeman and Hawkins can give you some minutes at the center spot against the right teams.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/18/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
For a video game trade, that looks somewhat reasonable.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/18/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They ultimately managed to assemble a pretty reasonable defense with their three bigs out there together, typically switching a lot so that no one got exposed too much. And they were unfortunate that between the injuries and Meesseman's commitments with Belgium they never had much time to develop real chemistry with that big lineup offensively. The question is whether you can ever expect to beat the top teams with that lineup and that defense in the postseason. Because however much they want to fudge it, ultimately their two best players are 4s, and without a trade you're forced to work around that.

PostPosted: 09/19/17 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They ultimately managed to assemble a pretty reasonable defense with their three bigs out there together, typically switching a lot so that no one got exposed too much. And they were unfortunate that between the injuries and Meesseman's commitments with Belgium they never had much time to develop real chemistry with that big lineup offensively. The question is whether you can ever expect to beat the top teams with that lineup and that defense in the postseason. Because however much they want to fudge it, ultimately their two best players are 4s, and without a trade you're forced to work around that.

Great post. And that big lineup will create even more problems in a multi-game postseason series because the opponent will have time to adjust and exploit the inherent weaknesses.

On the other hand, the big lineup is an advantage at the other end, so for Washington to win such a series, it basically needs to outscore the opposition. To do that, though, carrying players like TRP and Cloud, though effective in their way, will be a problem. And of course Toliver has to show up for every game ...

PostPosted: 09/19/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Thibault wasn't forced into anything, he opted into the situation. He believes he can make it work, which obviously means he's not giving up after a season like this and trading Meesseman is still off the table.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 09/20/17 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can you play two finesse players together on defense like EDD and Emma? I know the Mystics wanna model themselves after the Warriors but I dont see a Draymond on this team. I think a trade for Glory might be worth it if they can get her. You need hardnose players like Brunson to help win titles in this league. I think a player like GJ could have help them on the glass in the semifinals which was one reason they lost.

How about getting DRob at pg? I think she might be a a better fit for Washington than Phx. She will be surround by shooters Hill EDD Emma Kristi and Mystics could use another player that can run the offense.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/21/17 3:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Can you play two finesse players together on defense like EDD and Emma? I know the Mystics wanna model themselves after the Warriors but I dont see a Draymond on this team. I think a trade for Glory might be worth it if they can get her. You need hardnose players like Brunson to help win titles in this league. I think a player like GJ could have help them on the glass in the semifinals which was one reason they lost.

How about getting DRob at pg? I think she might be a a better fit for Washington than Phx. She will be surround by shooters Hill EDD Emma Kristi and Mystics could use another player that can run the offense.

1) Our Draymond is TRP, but she's a guard so that's problematic Laughing

2) Don't want Glory nowhere near this group. I also disagree that rebounding is something that needs to be improved. Krystal Thomas was statistically the 2nd best rebounder in the league this season and the reason Mystics got outrebounded in the semifinals was Minnesota hitting shots and Mystics not hitting shots.

3) Natasha Cloud can run the offense, guard 3 positions, and does shoot 3s (not very well, but does). No need for DRob.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/21/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics can play TRP as long as the other two perimeter players are three-point threats -- which leaves out Cloud. That also assumes Toliver is motivated enough to bring it every night, or, to look at it another way, still has enough left in her game to bring it every night.

With two non-shooters, it's too easy to double EDD and keep an eye on Emma.

It appears that Latta's nice run in the league is about over, as she turns 34 Sept. 24 and her three-point percentage for the past two years is just over 31%. (Big shout-out to her, though -- carving out a WNBA career at her size, and making adjustments to her game, was not easy.)

As a team, Washington shot 31.7% from three, and that's a killer if the Mystics want to do more than just be pretty good. They need shooters (which is why they went for SWK, and there's still hope there) -- and note that Tayler Hill's career three-point percentage is just 32.8%, so expecting her to be a savior is most likely asking too much.

One of the most undervalued skills in the women's game, especially at the lower levels, is shooting. It's all about getting to the rim and that's great until the rim is protected by bigger, stronger women than you see in age-group play.

PostPosted: 09/21/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes to that Clay. Premium on shooters and passers too, but without shooters the floor is packed in and there are too many bully type players in the league which uglies up the game, everyone wants to watch Warrior like basketball.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/21/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The Mystics can play TRP as long as the other two perimeter players are three-point threats -- which leaves out Cloud. That also assumes Toliver is motivated enough to bring it every night, or, to look at it another way, still has enough left in her game to bring it every night.

With two non-shooters, it's too easy to double EDD and keep an eye on Emma.

It appears that Latta's nice run in the league is about over, as she turns 34 Sept. 24 and her three-point percentage for the past two years is just over 31%. (Big shout-out to her, though -- carving out a WNBA career at her size, and making adjustments to her game, was not easy.)

As a team, Washington shot 31.7% from three, and that's a killer if the Mystics want to do more than just be pretty good. They need shooters (which is why they went for SWK, and there's still hope there) -- and note that Tayler Hill's career three-point percentage is just 32.8%, so expecting her to be a savior is most likely asking too much.

One of the most undervalued skills in the women's game, especially at the lower levels, is shooting. It's all about getting to the rim and that's great until the rim is protected by bigger, stronger women than you see in age-group play.

No reason to leave Cloud out. TRP gets 23-24 minutes, Cloud gets 17-18 minutes, with minimal overlap.

EDD needs to be a lot more involved in PnR than she was this past season. More post touches for Emma.

Agreed about Latta, though I think she'll stay on the team for one more year just for her veteran presence and leadership.

In 2016, Meesseman, Delle Donne and Toliver were ranked 1, 3, and 4 leaguewide in 3P% for players with at least 2 attempts per game, all were above 42%. This season Emma was at 32%, Kristi 34%, and EDD shot 33% before her surgery and only got into high 30s with a hot streak after she returned (11/18 from deep). So all of these players getting back into high 30s will help a lot.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/03/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steve Jobs's billionaire widow 'buys MAJOR stake' in Washington D.C. company that owns the NBA's Wizards, NHL's Capitals and WNBA's Mystics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4944686/Steve-Jobs-s-widow-buys-stake-NBA-NHL-franchises.html

Quote:
Billionaire philanthropist Laurene Powell Jobs is buying a major stake in Monumental Sports & Entertainment, a multi-billion dollar company that owns three major sports franchises in Washington D.C., as well as the city's Capital One Arena.

PostPosted: 10/03/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, great news.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/03/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Wow, great news.

maybe.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/03/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Wow, great news.

maybe.

The only good news that could come of this is that they stay at Capital One Arena.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 10/03/17 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Wow, great news.

maybe.

The only good news that could come of this is that they stay at Capital One Arena.

We can only hope

PostPosted: 10/03/17 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Wow, great news.

maybe.

Why would that change?

I do think it could make it less likely that the Mystics go under, if there was any danger of that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 10/04/17 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is Sheila Johnson considered the owner of the Mystics here, but in this and other articles you read that Monumental Sports
is?

toad455

PostPosted: 10/04/17 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Wow, great news.

maybe.

Why would that change?

I do think it could make it less likely that the Mystics go under, if there was any danger of that.

Powell-Jobs could maybe work some magic and keep the Mystics at Capital One Arena instead of moving the team to the 4,200 seat arena in the ghetto of DC.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/04/17 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Why is Sheila Johnson considered the owner of the Mystics here, but in this and other articles you read that Monumental Sports
is?

My understanding is that Monumental owns the whole shebang. Johnson has a piece of Monumental and is the public face of ownership when it comes to the Mystics. According to their website, she's the "managing partner".

(now with spelling variations)
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a wierd dream the Styx were playing in High school gym with no bleachers and all fans were standing against the walls along the side line. There was only about 20 fans so it fit just kind of a wierd dream Embarassed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: