22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Sparks
77%
 77%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 35

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/02/17 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A hard foul like that doesn't get you thrown out in a midseason game in July, never mind Game 4 of the freaking Finals. You will literally have to throw a punch or a glaringly intentional elbow to get tossed in a Finals game, and even then the refs would probably try to find a way to avoid it.

I don't want to jinx it, but I thought the last couple of games in particular were well officiated. Obviously there were some missed calls and some questionable ones - that's unavoidable in a judgement sport like basketball - but they largely made the calls they had to and otherwise stayed out of the way. When the only people talking about the officials are the diehard fans of one team or the other - who'll always find something to complain about - you're doing pretty well.

PostPosted: 10/02/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Random thoughts ...

*Seldom does a team dominate a basketball game through sheer physicality (as opposed to athleticism) but to me, that was the story last night -- and I'm not talking about Whalen's hard foul. Rebekkah Brunson and Sylvia Fowles controlled the paint at both ends of the floor, using their size and strength to simply overwhelm L.A.

That said, that kind of brute domination is rare in basketball and is unlikely to be repeated in game five.

*Brunson, even in her prime, was an uneven player, with very good games and invisible games. If she plays like that in game five, Minnesota wins; if she is just the average Rebekkah, different story -- though the Lynx still could win.

*It almost seemed like Minnesota was willing to give up open mid-range looks so that players like Beard and Gray would take those low-percentage jumpers. It's hard to turn down an open look, even if it's early in the shot clock and a mid-range jumper -- and if the ball doesn't ever get to Parker, so much the better.

*L.A.'s lack of anyone capable of playing with Fowles at either end of the floor makes it hard for the Sparks. She's the MVP for a reason, and she's made Nneka disappear on offense, and she's too tall for Nneka on defense and too strong for Candace.

*Maya Moore is scary good, but she's bought into her own hype to an extent. That's not the first time she hasn't run the floor after a mistake, and she, like Parker, whines at every opportunity. Again, what a great player -- if game five is close late, the Lynx should just give her the ball and get out of the way.

PostPosted: 10/02/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said this last year, I'll say it again. Minnesota has playmakers in Maya and Seimone when sh$% get's tough they can isolate 1 on 1 and score on and over anyone.

LA has improved in this with Chelsea and Odyssey but not at the level of Maya and Seimone.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phantom Cam followed Maya to the tunnel for the superstar perspective.

Isn't that Zellous to the right, or just a lookalike? She was making eye contact with the camera and not Maya, so Maya walked on by like she was a regular fan. If in LA would Zellous wear a Dodger shirt? It's fashionable tho.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 10/02/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
A hard foul like that doesn't get you thrown out in a midseason game in July, never mind Game 4 of the freaking Finals. You will literally have to throw a punch or a glaringly intentional elbow to get tossed in a Finals game, and even then the refs would probably try to find a way to avoid it.

If you say so. I thought it was super-bush. But I confess, I am far from an impartial observer.

Anyway, here's hoping for an exciting, competitive, avidly-contested Game 5 without any actual murders in it.

Also, one other thing: when Fowles plays like she did yesterday, she's just not even fair. Parker and Nneka are two of the top five front court players on the planet, and Fowles just basically made them look like children last night, on both ends of the court. I don't know what anyone's legitimately supposed to do about her, besides hope she happens to slip on a spilled soft drink right before tip-off, turning her ankle just bad enough to hurt for 2 and a half hours. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/02/17 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One last note on the game last night. I watched the game again and I paid closer attention to the crowd....which seemed to have a lot of young people at it. That's a very good sign.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/02/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
I said this last year, I'll say it again. Minnesota has playmakers in Maya and Seimone when sh$% get's tough they can isolate 1 on 1 and score on and over anyone.

LA has improved in this with Chelsea and Odyssey but not at the level of Maya and Seimone.

Augustus iso/1 on 1 yes. Maya 1on 1 not coming off a screen or anything just her handling the ball and creating her own shot not so much...

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 10/02/17 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
One last note on the game last night. I watched the game again and I paid closer attention to the crowd....which seemed to have a lot of young people at it. That's a very good sign.

It was an *awesome* crowd! And it was sooooo ready to go bananas! But it just was never really given the chance. Which is a shame (unless you're a Lynx fan).

bballgrl

PostPosted: 10/02/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though I am not a LA fan I have to give props to Sims. I loved watching her at Baylor, then she wasn't so great in Dallas but in LA she has gotton back to her college day's play. She is a great defender and can shoot the 3 very well. Had it not been for her 3's LA would have lost by a larger margin. Even though her team didn't win her play was off the hook!

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/02/17 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Augustus iso/1 on 1 yes. Maya 1on 1 not coming off a screen or anything just her handling the ball and creating her own shot not so much...

Maya doesn't so much as score around people as much as over and through them. While it can lead to some maddening shots at times (Reeve calls it a roller coaster ride--a Maya Coaster, if you will), Maya is one of those players who can score on the ugliest contested shots, or use that fall away jumper of hers to create room with a hand in her face. She isn't gone to break someone down off the dribble, but when she's in that zone it really doesn't matter...

PostPosted: 10/02/17 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bX-rNEaICK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this was great...

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/02/17 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

The crowds in both Minnesota and LA have been great!

I was glad to see that the Lynx had a large number of fans make the trip to LA.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 10/02/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
ucbart wrote:

The crowds in both Minnesota and LA have been great!

I was glad to see that the Lynx had a large number of fans make the trip to LA.

Yeah, there's was a real nice chunk of 'em in Staples. I respect that.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/02/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Maya doesn't so much as score around people as much as over and through them. While it can lead to some maddening shots at times (Reeve calls it a roller coaster ride--a Maya Coaster, if you will), Maya is one of those players who can score on the ugliest contested shots, or use that fall away jumper of hers to create room with a hand in her face. She isn't gone to break someone down off the dribble, but when she's in that zone it really doesn't matter...
Maya also has a quick release on her jumper which make it hard to guard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: