73%
 73%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 42

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/30/17 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I think Sims ball pressure is getting to Whalen. Speaking of Sims everytime Ryan brings up her not missing a ft I'm like be quiet and of course she missed one. Gray is playing good defense too.

And some people said Sims didn't have the ability to be a elite level defender.
I never said she couldn't be a good defender. I said she had weaknesses that were not obvious at first glance. When she picks up and stays with her assignment she plays at a high level. in this last game she did. She picked up her assignment early so that they couldn't lose her in transition. She has to remain focused through out the game. This loss of focus is also what got Williams pulled from game two, not the fact that she didn't hit her one shot attempt.

I will hold off on whether I would say Sims can be an elite level defender until it becomes clear to me why she loses contact with her assignments. is it purely focus? Is it narrow peripheral vision or does it involve a spactial processing deficiency? I frankly do not know. The thing is that if it involves the latter two that is not really correctable. She is really learning to compensate for what ever it is. The incident with Nneka seemed to point to focus.

I would not, however, call her an elite defender because she lacks size and has short arms. She uses her speed to compensate for that. The thing is that to be called elite you should have no weaknesses to compensate for other than having an off day.

Speed can negate a lack of height but to use that speed requires constant focus. Spatial recognition also plays a major factor in compensating for other deficiencies. The lack of it can negate speed. A players assets and deficiencies can be a combination of may variables. Some are just more obvious than others. That is why many players that have one aspect of either height, quickness/speed, technical proficiency or BB IQ often can not function at the next level. Just being above average or overly endowed in one area will only be able to compensate for deficiencies in the others at the lower levels. That is why their is usually and adjustment period when players step up a level. It will expose their deficiencies. Some can be corrected others can not. However, those that can be corrected require a lot of effort and work. That is why Shoni is not presently in the league.

Interesting and thoughtful post. Not sure how much of what you said is verifiable, but I'll certainly stipulate that you put some thought into it... Still, I gotta give you the #HateHard Approved, for the out-of-left-field Shoni Schimmel diss.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 09/30/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still rolling on the floor laughing over Seimone's 5 second after her classless gestures in Alana Beard's face at the end of game 2. God is good. LOL.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/30/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@ willtalk...my comment was directed at the Sims detractors who said she could never play elite level defense at the pg position.Sims is making them eat their words.Whalen's having a difficult time just getting the ball across halfcourt.Sure,Sims still has her lapses,but that's to be expected.Playing three seasons for a franchise that showed no interest in playing defense or taking quality shots really stunted her growth.Sims developed some bad habits that will take some time to fully kick,but she's on the right path,with the right coach.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/30/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
@ willtalk...my comment was directed at the Sims detractors who said she could never play elite level defense at the pg position.Sims is making them eat their words.Whalen's having a difficult time just getting the ball across halfcourt.Sure,Sims still has her lapses,but that's to be expected.Playing three seasons for a franchise that showed no interest in playing defense or taking quality shots really stunted her growth.Sims developed some bad habits that will take some time to fully kick,but she's on the right path,with the right coach.

Hey watch it , If anything she was the player not having interest in defense or taking quality shots stunting her own growth . Dont bash a franchise and exclude the player as if she was not apart of the bad also . She was the biggest culprit to everything you just named when she played here.

PostPosted: 09/30/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Hey watch it , If anything she was the player not having interest in defense or taking quality shots stunting her own growth . Dont bash a franchise and exclude the player as if she was not apart of the bad also . She was the biggest culprit to everything you just named when she played here.

The same nonsense has continued in dallas without Sims.Yeah,she played her part.But coach Williams is the ringleader.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/30/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

The same nonsense has continued in dallas without Sims.Yeah,she played her part.But coach Williams is the ringleader.

Funny how when Player A leaves , we make the playoffs. I will not speak bad of fred today im giving him a break.

PostPosted: 09/30/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Funny how when Player A leaves , we make the playoffs. I will not speak bad of fred today im giving him a break.

Made the playoffs in a year where:

Catchings retired.
McCoughtry sat out the season.
EDD forced her way out of Chicago.

Lets see what happens next season with Cambage.I expect nothing less than a 6th seed.

Tulsa/Dallas made the playoffs in 2015 with Sims....unfortunately,2015 was similar to 2017:

Parker sat out half of the season.
Fowles sat out half of the season.
No Taurasi.
No Taylor.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/30/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Made the playoffs in a year where:

Catchings retired.
McCoughtry sat out the season.
EDD forced her way out of Chicago.

Lets see what happens next season with Cambage.I expect nothing less than a 6th seed.

Tulsa/Dallas made the playoffs in 2015 with Sims....unfortunately,2015 was similar to 2017:

No Taurasi.
No Taylor.

So you're arguing that Dallas/Tulsa made the playoffs in 2015 because Taurasi and Taylor didn't play for Phoenix, and Fowles and Parker sat out half the season? But those teams (Phoenix, Chicago and Los Angeles) made the playoffs anyway in 2015 so how did their absence help Dallas/Tulsa? Regardless, can't you point to almost any season and find teams that suffered injuries or were otherwise missing important players?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/30/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I don't remember seeing Cheryl yelling at Maya before...and in this game, at least twice!

Reeve has felt a little too comfortable yelling at Maya for years now. Hopefully, Reeve counters that off the court or it can't be a good situation.

sooo...what's Maya's contract like? Is she too sweet of a person to force her way out of MN? Welcome to Dallas MM! Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 09/30/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I don't remember seeing Cheryl yelling at Maya before...and in this game, at least twice!

Reeve has felt a little too comfortable yelling at Maya for years now. Hopefully, Reeve counters that off the court or it can't be a good situation.

sooo...what's Maya's contract like? Is she too sweet of a person to force her way out of MN? Welcome to Dallas MM! Razz

She has a house in Atlanta...

PostPosted: 09/30/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

No Taurasi.
No Taylor.

I'm pretty sure the main reason is:
2015: Built a 8-1 record with Diggins (10-15 without her)
2016: Diggin was a shell of herself coming back from her ACL injury.
2017: Diggins-Smith finally back to playing at All-WNBA level again.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/30/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

So you're arguing that Dallas/Tulsa made the playoffs in 2015 because Taurasi and Taylor didn't play for Phoenix, and Fowles and Parker sat out half the season? But those teams (Phoenix, Chicago and Los Angeles) made the playoffs anyway in 2015 so how did their absence help Dallas/Tulsa? Regardless, can't you point to almost any season and find teams that suffered injuries or were otherwise missing important players?

Tulsa won games against Minnesota and LA prior to Parker/Fowles joining their respective teams....Tulsa also beat a Chicago team that was still in the process of trading Fowles....LA won only 14 games in 2015 with basically the same squad that won 26 games in 2016.That's how crazy the 2015 season was.

SpaceJunkie wrote:

The 8-1 record in 2015 looks good until you realize Tulsa beat San Antonio 2x,Seattle 2x,minnesota 1x(pre Folwes),and Chicago 1x(without Fowles).Tulsa/coach Williams gets credit for getting off to a great start.However...

2015 record:
San Antonio:8-26
Seattle:10-24

4 of the 8 wins came against the two worst teams in the league.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/01/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:

Tulsa won games against Minnesota and LA prior to Parker/Fowles joining their respective teams....Tulsa also beat a Chicago team that was still in the process of trading Fowles....LA won only 14 games in 2015 with basically the same squad that won 26 games in 2016.That's how crazy the 2015 season was.

SpaceJunkie wrote:

The 8-1 record in 2015 looks good until you realize Tulsa beat San Antonio 2x,Seattle 2x,minnesota 1x(pre Folwes),and Chicago 1x(without Fowles).Tulsa/coach Williams gets credit for getting off to a great start.However...

2015 record:
San Antonio:8-26
Seattle:10-24

4 of the 8 wins came against the two worst teams in the league.

Im sorry you referencing 2015 is really stretching it. Lol we will see in 2018 when my Wings murder the Merc. Smh And you know it too lol thats why your always wishing negativity upon cambages return also bc you know we will be a real contender. Thanks Zune?

PostPosted: 10/01/17 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

She has a house in Atlanta...

Atlanta doesnt have a coach proximity rules! #WelcomeToDallas Maya Ref #4 Moore Laughing

PostPosted: 10/01/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Im sorry you referencing 2015 is really stretching it. Lol we will see in 2018 when my Wings murder the Merc. Smh And you know it too lol thats why your always wishing negativity upon cambages return also bc you know we will be a real contender. Thanks Zune?

You couldn't dispute my argument/facts.So you changed the narrative,and falsely accuse me of being negative towards Cambage when I'm just being realistic about the situation.I've clearly stated that if Cambage shows up,the wings have the talent to be a title contender.However,she still needs to show up.Cambage has played 53 out of a possible 238 wnba basketball games since she was drafted in 2011.That's not a very good track record.Cambage has battled a mental disorder,and multiple injuries in recent years.There's a legit cause for concern,or atleast a reason to have some doubt.

If Liz shows up,dallas should be a top 4-6 seed....unless coach Williams screws it up.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/02/17 1:53 am; edited 5 times in total
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 10/01/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

You couldn't dispute my argument/facts so you changed the narrative and falsely accuse me of being negative towords Cambage when I'm just being a realist about the situation.I've clearly stated that if Cambage shows up,the wings have the talent to be a title contender.However,she still needs to show up.Cambage has played 53 out of a possible 238 wnba basketball games since she was drafted in 2011.That's not a very good track record.Cambage has battled mental disorder and multiple injuries in recent years.There's a legit cause for concern,or atleast a reason to have some doubts.

If Liz shows up,dallas should be a top 4 seed....unless coach Williams screws it up.

Should? Sparks, Lynx, Sun witch Chiney, Liberty, healthy Mystics, healthy Mercury are all at worst as good as Wings+Cambage. They can be a top 4 seed, but if they fail I seriously doubt it's on Williams.

Damn it, you edited the post Laughing I concur.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/01/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Had to catch myself Laughing Laughing

Aladyyn wrote:
but if they fail I seriously doubt it's on Williams.

If they don't make the playoffs,it's on Williams.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/01/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Pq1Ra-2Kdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y9iUNHrhtu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/02/17 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Aladyyn wrote:

They need to fix their defense. Yes Cambage brings some real height to defend the basket but they need to adress their defense if they want to get in the top 4. Williams is IMO not the right coach for that. They (Cambage, Glory etc) need discipline

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 10/02/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Aladyyn wrote:

They need to fix their defense. Yes Cambage brings some real height to defend the basket but they need to adress their defense if they want to get in the top 4. Williams is IMO not the right coach for that. They (Cambage, Glory etc) need discipline

+1

And with McCoughtry returning,chicago getting 2 lottery picks,and seattle adding the 5th overall pick,there's no guarantee dallas even makes the playoffs....The wings will have top tier talent,but the head coach ?........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: