Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Postgame

https://www.pscp.tv/WNBA/1dRKZnlnvZQKB

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ster II wrote:
Wtf was that move by Augusta when she seemed to trip over the 3-point line on her way to catching the inbound pass and then booted the ball outta bounds!!?! Nobody taunted her for that dumb move.

Admiral_Needa wrote:
ster II wrote:
That was taunting by Augusta!!

Yeah, but I liked it... Razz

And you can bank that that shot will be on their websites Cool

Karma?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Parker was wide open on the pick & pop smh. Still great comeback by LA playing 5 vs 8 all night. Can game 3 hurry up already!! To LaLa land the series shifts. Minny Better bring there A game bcuz the tide will change in numbers.

maybe jlav will show up in LA.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not at all confident that LA will win gm 3.Maya had a subpar game 2.She usually bounces back with a big game following a medipcre performance....Parker needs to be fully engaged from start to finish.Game 1,Parker was great in the 1st qt,then poorest for the rest of the game.Game 2,Parker was invisible in the 1st half,but great in quarters 3 & 4....LA needs a very good end to end performance from candace.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/26/17 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Really looked like the Sparks were going to come back. I doubt if Minnesota plays this poorly in LA they even stand a chance to take it to five games.

If they play better than when they won it seems like they would win the series in 4 games in LA.

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no lead or home court is safe.

barryi22

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really frustrating loss rooting for LA....they hit probably 6-7 long twos with a foot on or over the line. If they set up their feet better, they win. This is anybody's series. All depends on who shows up on what night.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:
no lead or home court is safe.

this.

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/26/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
"The Closer" ... fails to close.

Hey--that's OUR name for The Chelsea! Rob C and I came up with that her sophomore year at Duke. She sure as HECK closed out Game 1.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 09/27/17 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pokie is hard to hear on this video, but at one point (12 minutes in) pulls out a basketball court marked "white board" to draw on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rsD9vDHeScA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/27/17 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Sparks will win game 3 because they play at home and Parker always needs a couple days more rest and to refocus

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/27/17 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks really need to do a three-point shooting clinic, one with consequences for goddamn stupid foot-on-the-line shots.

PostPosted: 09/27/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple things:

*Nneka and Lavender combined to go 3 for 16, and it's amazing that LA was close given that. Fowles is just dominating Nneka inside and Lavender is missing those mid-range jumpers she usually buries.

*I tell young players the worst shot in basketball is the one with your foot on the three-point line. If you're two inches further back, the value of the shot increases by 50%, but the difficulty goes up maybe 2%. The Sparks had five long twos last night that, with any court awareness, could have been threes. It amazes me professionals take those shots.

PostPosted: 09/27/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well seeing as Carson is 0% for 3s and CP is 30%, not sure they are aware really and we just take that they hit the shots they hit. CP can hit the 3 but not great.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/27/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with both of you. It's puzzling but I think there is a psychological aspect to it. Lavender, Beard, and Carson can all make the long two but suck at the three. I would just as soon see them step inside and make the long two as to try to step back and miss the three. Lately, Lavender seems to have lost her touch while both Carson and Beard have been making those shots. Parker is another matter. While not great from three, I think she makes those as often as she makes a long two, so for her it makes more sense to make sure she's behind that line. I also wonder if it's a bit of an issue playing on a court with two lines. Even if you know which one is for you, just having that other one there must make you think a bit about it.

- Amanda Gorman
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 09/27/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if my blood pressure can take many more of these games. As I was telling my sister in law, thank goodness this game can only go five games at the max! Pardon the lengthy entry.

With all due respect to Minnesota, I think my problem this year is that given the Sparks play since the All Star break and in the semifinals, I EXPECT the Sparks to win this year, whereas last year, I HOPED that they would win. I should be happy to get the split. When you look at it, Lynx have outplayed the Sparks for the majority of both Games 1 and 2, yet we got the split which is what we wanted. I just hope the Sparks are able to move on and not keep thinking about this game as "the one that got away."

Some observations about the Sparks players are in order:

Sims - To me, she has been the best two-way player for the Sparks thus far. Yes, she has had at least one bonehead decision in each game and Whalen started hot yesterday, but all in all, I have been very happy with her defense, her pushing the ball, her drive and kicks, etc. Keep it up O!

Gray - I will not dismiss the hero from game 1, but she has been sloppier with the ball and too often has been trying to make the flashy pass, the high risk, high reward type of play. Credit to Minnesota defense for pestering her (looking at you Perkins) but Gray needs to clean up the turnovers going forward.

Parker - She has also been sloppy with the ball and trying to make the flashy passes and needs to clean it up. Candace has played reasonably well. and has not taken long period of time off like she usually does. I will give her a pass for last night given her ankle and the short rest, but no more passes for you Parker. Get it done. Credit to Brunson's defense on her, denying the ball on the perimiter, which certainly played a factor.

Ogwumike - I always appreciate her hustle, and she is getting boards, and doing the best she can down low with Fowles. Need her to find her jump shot again and try to take the ball hard in to Fowles, draw some fouls, and finish through contact.

Beard - I am glad her offense has been good and her jumper working, but she seems to have taken a step back defensively, taking Moore's bait on some silly fouls. Come on DPOY, no more of that! Credit to Moore of course for being one of the all time greats.

Carson - A pleasant surprise. Solid defense and scoring on the offensive board. Yeah, she missed the free throws in Game 1, but that turned out okay.

Lavender - Where did you go? Please come back. We will need you to win this series, and your offensive contributions, which are generally reliable, have disappeared.

Agler - Please get her some minutes (and not just one). She can't warm up and get into any rhythm if she is constantly looking over her shoulder in fear of being taken out.

Williams - When you get in, take it slow. I know you think that you are going to get the quick pull, but play your defense, let the game come to you. You can be a huge weapon off the bench.

Agler - I know that you are trying to open up the lane for your driving guards, but as game 2 showed, hanging out on the perimeter the whole time is not going to get it done. Let's mix it up, spread em out a few times, get Nneka or Parker in the post and work inside out sometimes.

Okay, I feel a little better after that lengthy entry.

Go Sparks!
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 09/27/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if my blood pressure can take many more of these games. As I was telling my sister in law, thank goodness this game can only go five games at the max! Pardon the lengthy entry.

With all due respect to Minnesota, I think my problem this year is that given the Sparks play since the All Star break and in the semifinals, I EXPECT the Sparks to win this year, whereas last year, I HOPED that they would win. I should be happy to get the split. When you look at it, Lynx have outplayed the Sparks for the majority of both Games 1 and 2, yet we got the split which is what we wanted. I just hope the Sparks are able to move on and not keep thinking about this game as "the one that got away."

Sims - To me, she has been the best two-way player for the Sparks thus far. Yes, she has had at least one bonehead decision in each game and Whalen started hot yesterday, but all in all, I have been very happy with her defense, her pushing the ball, her drive and kicks, etc. Keep it up O!

Gray - I will not dismiss the hero from game 1, but she has been sloppier with the ball and too often has been trying to make the flashy pass, the high risk, high reward type of play. Credit to Minnesota defense for pestering her (looking at you Perkins) but Gray needs to clean up the turnovers going forward.

Parker - She has also been sloppy with the ball and trying to make the flashy passes and needs to clean it up. Candace has played reasonably well. and has not taken long period of time off like she usually does. I will give her a pass for last night given her ankle and the short rest, but no more passes for you Parker. Get it done. Credit to Brunson's defense on her, denying the ball on the perimiter, which certainly played a factor.

Ogwumike - I always appreciate her hustle, and she is getting boards, and doing the best she can down low with Fowles. Need her to find her jump shot again and try to take the ball hard in to Fowles, draw some fouls, and finish through contact.

Beard - I am glad her offense has been good and her jumper working, but she seems to have taken a step back defensively, taking Moore's bait on some silly fouls. Come on DPOY, no more of that! Credit to Moore of course for being one of the all time greats.

Carson - A pleasant surprise. Solid defense and scoring on the offensive board. Yeah, she missed the free throws in Game 1, but that turned out okay.

Lavender - Where did you go? Please come back. We will need you to win this series, and your offensive contributions, which are generally reliable, have disappeared.

Agler - Please get her some minutes (and not just one). She can't warm up and get into any rhythm if she is constantly looking over her shoulder in fear of being taken out.

Williams - When you get in, take it slow. I know you think that you are going to get the quick pull, but play your defense, let the game come to you. You can be a huge weapon off the bench.

Agler - I know that you are trying to open up the lane for your driving guards, but as game 2 showed, hanging out on the perimeter the whole time is not going to get it done. Let's mix it up, spread em out a few times, get Nneka or Parker in the post and work inside out sometimes.

Okay, I feel a little better after that lengthy entry.

Go Sparks!
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 09/27/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if my heart can take any many more of these games.Brunson had a bounce back game that played a huge role in Minny getting a win.Whalen mid range jumper was working and Fowles had a record number of rebounds that was important in the win for the Lynx.

CP had been healthy all season but has two freak accidents during warm ups in the playoffs Shocked . She did look better in the second half moving. Credit to Minny defense for that 5 sec call. Sims had Nneka open in the paint before she passed to Chelsea who ended getting trapped. Its easy to trapped a player turning a corner.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/27/17 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I think the Sparks will win game 3 because they play at home and Parker always needs a couple days more rest and to refocus

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great post.

I wholeheartedly agree on Sims and I am grateful Beard and Carson have hit some but don't necessarily expect it. Grays quickness is being exposed with all the D getting right up on her. And yes please get some posting in the paint Parker, we could let Nneka be the passer as she is too small against Fowles in the paint and she may get her shot back or at least attempt and draw out Syl.

Williams, not a fan. And next year we need some smart bench players who can shoot to spread the floor. Spot on with Lab though, she has lost her confidence.

It's tied 1-1, so I guess its not too bad, until a team finally gets its groove. I am hoping that team will be the Sparks.

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/29/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
------------------------

Parker - She has also been sloppy with the ball and trying to make the flashy passes and needs to clean it up.

[color=red]In respect to CP and Gray not making flashy passes. Do you even know what flashy passes are. They are the best passers on the team and what might be considered flashy for other players is a simple one for them. I was curious about your post so I actually rewatched the game. In respect to Gray making high risk high reward passes that was totally an assumption you made based on the number of turnovers she had in both games. I reviewed her turnovers and non came on what could be considered high risk flashy passes.

Is your name Ann Donavan? Both Gray and Parker passing is an integral part of what makes the Sparks go. Do you have some sort of bias or agenda? Don't just check the stats and make statements based on presumptions. You might want to watch replays and pay more attention to details before making blanket statements. Asking a good passer to quite making good passes is like telling some other players to not do what they do well because it sometimes doesn't work out. You sound like methodical Ann Donavan.

In respect to Sims --- I wrote a detailed evaluation of her defense. Your evaluation of her being the most consistent on both offense and defense belies your attention to detail. Sims a very good on ball defender once in front of her man. Her problem is that, for some reason she often loses contact with the player she is supposed to be defending. This often happens during switches or in transition. Now that happens to every player now and then and circumstances need to be considered. In the last game I noticed twice when she totally lost Whalen which resulted in Whalen scoring easy points. Sims just seems to lose focus or something. An example of that can be seen at 3:12 of the second quarter. Both Sims and Nneka are running next to each other down court after a score. Nneka turns around but Sims continues running with her back to the other players. Once they get past the half court line Nneka has to yell at Sims " Turn around". You can hear it on the game film. This is just one example of her loss of focus but this time Nneka was there to correct her.

Now to a fan watching a game in progress this might not seem obvious. All they would see is Sims hustling and using her speed to play defense. What fans might be oblivious to is missed switches and not staying focused on her defensive assignment. As I stated in my previous posts her pluses far out weigh her minuses in both her offensive and defensive game. But under close evaluation Sims could certainly not be considered consistent in respect to her defense.

As to Williams--- She was not pulled because she missed her single shot attempt, but because she missed her defensive assignments. She looked lost defensively in her limited minutes in that last game.

[/color]

Go Sparks!

boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 09/29/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
------------------------

Parker - She has also been sloppy with the ball and trying to make the flashy passes and needs to clean it up.

[color=red]In respect to CP and Gray not making flashy passes. Do you even know what flashy passes are. They are the best passers on the team and what might be considered flashy for other players is a simple one for them. I was curious about your post so I actually rewatched the game. In respect to Gray making high risk high reward passes that was totally an assumption you made based on the number of turnovers she had in both games. I reviewed her turnovers and non came on what could be considered high risk flashy passes.

Is your name Ann Donavan? Both Gray and Parker passing is an integral part of what makes the Sparks go. Do you have some sort of bias or agenda? Don't just check the stats and make statements based on presumptions. You might want to watch replays and pay more attention to details before making blanket statements. Asking a good passer to quite making good passes is like telling some other players to not do what they do well because it sometimes doesn't work out. You sound like methodical Ann Donavan.

In respect to Sims --- I wrote a detailed evaluation of her defense. Your evaluation of her being the most consistent on both offense and defense belies your attention to detail. Sims a very good on ball defender once in front of her man. Her problem is that, for some reason she often loses contact with the player she is supposed to be defending. This often happens during switches or in transition. Now that happens to every player now and then and circumstances need to be considered. In the last game I noticed twice when she totally lost Whalen which resulted in Whalen scoring easy points. Sims just seems to lose focus or something. An example of that can be seen at 3:12 of the second quarter. Both Sims and Nneka are running next to each other down court after a score. Nneka turns around but Sims continues running with her back to the other players. Once they get past the half court line Nneka has to yell at Sims " Turn around". You can hear it on the game film. This is just one example of her loss of focus but this time Nneka was there to correct her.

Now to a fan watching a game in progress this might not seem obvious. All they would see is Sims hustling and using her speed to play defense. What fans might be oblivious to is missed switches and not staying focused on her defensive assignment. As I stated in my previous posts her pluses far out weigh her minuses in both her offensive and defensive game. But under close evaluation Sims could certainly not be considered consistent in respect to her defense.

As to Williams--- She was not pulled because she missed her single shot attempt, but because she missed her defensive assignments. She looked lost defensively in her limited minutes in that last game.

[/color]

Go Sparks!

Why so mad/offended? To be clear, and to correct your assumptions and misconceptions, I offer the following:
1. Yes, I watched the entire game, albeit only once. I am not one to just look at the stats and make assumptions.
2. I agree that CP and Gray are the best passers on the team, and perhaps I misspoke regarding the "flashy passes" in game 2. Yes, I am familiar with a "flashy pass". That being said, I still believe they need to clean up their sloppy passes.
3. Not making any "blanket statements", just my impressions and thoughts. Unlike others, I do not purport "To be holier than thou."
4. I am not Anne Donovan. Not even sure where that comes from, and, frankly, nor do I care for that matter.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/29/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy cow. Can't a fan show a little scaredness. I felt the same way Boom.

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/30/17 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:

Why so mad/offended? To be clear, and to correct your assumptions and misconceptions, I offer the following:
1. Yes, I watched the entire game, albeit only once. I am not one to just look at the stats and make assumptions.
2. I agree that CP and Gray are the best passers on the team, and perhaps I misspoke regarding the "flashy passes" in game 2. Yes, I am familiar with a "flashy pass". That being said, I still believe they need to clean up their sloppy passes.
3. Not making any "blanket statements", just my impressions and thoughts. Unlike others, I do not purport "To be holier than thou."
4. I am not Anne Donovan. Not even sure where that comes from, and, frankly, nor do I care for that matter.

Perhaps I did come off as too harsh. The Ann Donovan was meant as humor. You obviously are not her. In Chelsea's rookie year Ann wouldn't play her even if the starters were not playing well because her creativity and game made her uncomfortable. Donavan was far to methodical.

Most of Grays turn overs seem to come from really uncharacteristic stupid passes or fumble-itis. Perhaps someone filled her jar of hand cleaner with Crisco. But her turnovers were not caused by flashy passes. I suspect that many of the mistakes that the players are making are partially caused by fatigue. Especially the Sparks who's starters are putting in a lot of min. because of their short roster. Hopefully Williams will justify some court time.

I tend to rewatch games to check to see if my in game perspectives are correct. I have often found that when we watch games the first time our perspectives are influenced and distorted by in game excitement. Try it sometime and you might be surprised that your first take isn't always correct. That has happened to me before and that is why i always check. .

tfan

PostPosted: 10/01/17 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bbT9mOby7Wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: