RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Criminal indictments are exposing shoe money corruption
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/27/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a tweet today from a guy who claims to be a sports law lawyer and does an agent law blog

"Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation"

Assuming that's true, that EYBL group does girls AAU basketball teams as well as men's, I believe. Is it the same individuals who run both for Nike? Could that expose the women's game to risk?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/28/17 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure Nikes does the same thing as Adidas, and all the FBI needs to do is find one guy named in the subpoenaed materials and get him to flip on the others.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20838846/feds-investigating-ncaa-fraud-likely-apply-extreme-pressure-big-name-coaches-programs

As for Bruce Pearl, this is now his third recruiting scandal. I'm skeptical he didn't know about this.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'm sure Nikes does the same thing as Adidas, and all the FBI needs to do is find one guy named in the subpoenaed materials and get him to flip on the others.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20838846/feds-investigating-ncaa-fraud-likely-apply-extreme-pressure-big-name-coaches-programs

As for Bruce Pearl, this is now his third recruiting scandal. I'm skeptical he didn't know about this.

Pearl's career should be as dead as Pitino's. We'll see.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of this is spooling quickly. According to ESPN:

Alabama associate athletic director Kobie Baker, who previously worked for the NCAA, resigned Wednesday after the school questioned him about being linked to the ongoing FBI college basketball investigation that has resulted in 10 arrests.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The girls' Nike EYBL is run by different people ...

Here's my understanding of some aspects of this:

On the boys' side, Nike will give club coaches $100,000 and they can do what they want with it. The top clubs also get gear, and are constantly updating uniforms and shoes during the summer season, so it's a pretty expensive package. But then again, apparel is a pretty big business.

On the girls' side, there are fewer sponsored clubs, and they don't get cash. They get apparel, and some other benefits, but it's a much different scenario.

But as McGraw says, it's not like women's basketball is squeaky clean. College coaching is a nice gig, and even a $150,000 salary (I would love to have come close to half that in my journalism career) is worth fudging the lines a bit.

I don't think anyone's handing out cash, but there are ways to generate income for players and families that don't show up on intercollegiate balance sheets.

PostPosted: 09/28/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if you needed any better indication we're not in NCAA land any more. . . .

"A University of Southern California basketball assistant coach charged in a massive corruption case has made his initial court appearance in Florida.

Tony Bland went into the courtroom wearing handcuffs and ankle chains Tuesday. He said little during the brief hearing other than to answer the judge's questions. He did not enter a plea and said he needs a lawyer.

Prosecutors recommended Bland be released on $100,000 bail with the understanding he must appear Oct. 10 in federal court in New York for another hearing. That was granted by the U.S. magistrate judge."

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Not all of the arrested coaches are from Adidas schools. Some are from Nike and Under Armour schools.

PostPosted: 09/28/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two big time mens recruits have decommitted from Louisville, one from Auburn.

I expect a lot more recruiting fallout.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 09/28/17 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/28/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Not all of the arrested coaches are from Adidas schools. Some are from Nike and Under Armour schools.

No, but I believe the coaches at the other schools have been arrested because of the bribes they received to send their top players to certain agents/financial advisers. Nothing that has come out or that I have seen pertains to paying recruits & their families to go their schools, which is what appears to have happened at Louisville and again at Miami. We have a couple of different scenarios going on.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/28/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know the old line about having to "make your own luck"? This is what Pitino had to say when Bruce Bowen committed this summer. Bowen is evidently the player alleged to have been paid $100,000 by Adidas to sign with Louisville. I got a laugh out of this.

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino told Terry Meiners of News Radio 840. "I had an AAU director call me and ask me if I'd be interested in a player (Bowen). I saw him against another great player from Indiana. I said 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' They had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotel, pay for their meals. We spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been."

Oh, and two days ago Auburn announced they had sold out their basketball season tickets. Then came the indictment. Now Auburn is offering refunds to any ST buyers who want them. Ooops.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/28/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
pilight wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

No, but I believe the coaches at the other schools have been arrested because of the bribes they received to send their top players to certain agents/financial advisers. Nothing that has come out or that I have seen pertains to paying recruits & their families to go their schools, which is what appears to have happened at Louisville and again at Miami. We have a couple of different scenarios going on.

Lamont Evans, the former South Carolina asst. coach and current Oklahoma State asst. coach, did press Marty Blazer (referred to in the FBI complaint documents as "CW-1") and Munish Sood into paying him additional money that he could use to pay recruits and their families to help bring them to Oklahoma State. Evans emphasized that this money would be separate and additional to the fees (bribes) he was paid by them to steer OSU MBB student-athletes to CW-1 and Sood's financial advisory companies. Evans sold it as seeding the garden for bringing in elite prep talent into OSU, which Evans would then steer to CW-1 and Sood, so the additional money would be beneficial to those dudes in the end.

The documents have little to nothing on South Carolina, but these things have a way of exposing more cockroaches as the manhole cover gets lifted higher. Per the documents, nothing more than phone conversations and planning - and one single meeting in Columbia SC between CW-1, Sood, Dawkins, and Evans ever took place while Evans was an asst. coach for USC. No money passed hands, and no players or player families were brought in.

By the time the first cash payment of $500 was paid to Evans, he was already an asst. coach at OSU for 2 weeks. Sood was described as being brought together with the mother of Player-3 (believed to be PJ Dozier) by Evans in July 2017, but CW-1 wasn't there, so there is no recording of what took place then. Was money given to Player-3's mom? Did Player 3 show up? It is all moot anyways, because if it was Dozier, he declared himself going pro and signing an agent in April 2017, so by then he and his mom could accept money and see anyone they liked, because Dozier's amateur status had expired.

But to be factual, there was never any confirmed statement in the FBI complaint documents that CW-1, Sood, or Dawkins EVER met ANY South Carolina players. Only Evans.

When the entirety of the some $22,000 claimed to be paid to Evans was paid, he was an employee of the Oklahoma State MBB program, and the student-athletes he discussed with the others were all OSU student-athletes.

Again, there is going to be a lot more that comes out of this, but right now USC is on the outside looking in....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/28/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now its official: Lamont Evans is now a former Oklahoma State assistant coach.......

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/28/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
@Raoul_000

Asked about FBI probe into corruption in MBB, Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw claims there's cheating going on in WBB https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notebook-notre-dame-women-s-basketball-makes-volunteering-competitive/article_3ea1ee94-a3dd-11e7-a04f-cb46de761483.html

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/913220996697612288

Could be a dig at McGuff, Walz etc.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/28/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
lvf08 wrote:
@Raoul_000

Asked about FBI probe into corruption in MBB, Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw claims there's cheating going on in WBB https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notebook-notre-dame-women-s-basketball-makes-volunteering-competitive/article_3ea1ee94-a3dd-11e7-a04f-cb46de761483.html

Based on ...

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/28/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
lvf08 wrote:
@Raoul_000

Based on ...

I'm guessing based on a tweet from McGraw.....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/28/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
lvf08 wrote:
@Raoul_000

Based on ...

What tweet from McGraw? Just because you obviously don't like McGuff or Walz is no reason at all to transfer your attitude to McGraw.

McGraw happens to be close to her former assistant McGuff, so I'd be very surprised if she was intending to point a finger at him.

If you're just going to throw names around without reason, maybe it was a dig at Staley.

Or more likely, maybe she wasn't talking about anyone in particular.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/28/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
lvf08 wrote:
@Raoul_000

Based on ...

What tweet from McGraw? Just because you obviously don't like McGuff or Walz is no reason at all to transfer your attitude to McGraw.

McGraw happens to be close to her former assistant McGuff, so I'd be very surprised if she was intending to point a finger at him.

If you're just going to throw names around without reason, maybe it was a dig at Staley.

Or more likely, maybe she wasn't talking about anyone in particular.

Dude, you're just flailing, flailing, flailing....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/28/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Say what? You just make up shit and post

Conway Gamecock wrote:

And you say I'm flailing?

Well that's classic. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
lvf08 wrote:
@Raoul_000

Based on ...

Hiring family members and using billboards etc for starters.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/29/17 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

And either of those are "cheating" how, exactly????

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/29/17 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Say what? You just make up shit and post

Conway Gamecock wrote:

And you say I'm flailing?

Well that's classic. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You're flailing when you don't even know who to argue with, or what about. You say I "obviously don't like McGuff or Waltz", when I have never posted anything negatively OR positively about either coach. Did you think I posted what Nixtreefan posted? That was the one that posted about digs at McGuff & Waltz, not me. I haven't thrown ANY names around....

I was trying to make a facetious comment to PUmatty, but I got it wrong: I should have said "based on Raoul's tweet of McGraw's comments", but it wouldn't have made my joke any better. But either way, I have no dog in this fight.

You need to stop shaking your fists at the heavens and skies above, and start figuring out who you have a beef with......

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/29/17 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

And either of those are "cheating" how, exactly????

Maybe she knows more than you about it Laughing Laughing

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, enough crap will come out that I don't think this board needs to throw out names without stating any proof or support. Just my two cents.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/29/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Honestly, enough crap will come out that I don't think this board needs to throw out names without stating any proof or support. Just my two cents.

×___________________________

Or claim some coach has accused another specific coach when she has done no such thing.

That unfairly slurs both the supposed accuser and the supposed accused.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/29/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus, lighten up. When a coach or anyone makes a claim and then doesn't give details you gets what you gets. Believe me, I think it will be a lot worse than what I have added to this conversation, which BTWs was already talked about in length on this board Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: