Lynx
47%
 47%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 51

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/25/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
Emotions on the sleeve is a problem? How old is Parker, 2?

apparently about the same age as Maya. Very Happy

Whalen is one tough cookie. She has some of the 'die bitches' like Birdy...but she is more obnoxious about it. Her best offensive move is to bulldoze into somebody in the lane and go to the line. Personally bulldozers get on my nerves. But objectively I would also say she is toward the end of her career. She has never been fast but has made up for it with smarts, but she has noticeably slowed down even more. That's not to say she can't still have some awesome performances but I think they won't come as often or easily as it used to. And much of it will depend on how the refs call any particular game. JMO

________X Wayyy To Obnoxious

PostPosted: 09/25/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just some comments and reflections on some of the posts. --

Rock Hard mentioned that Gray did not look as good in college as she appears to be playing now. ------ Gray actually only had one injury free season while at Duke and that was in her Soph year. She is also not really a player who focused on scoring. She was more focused on getting her team involved in the offense. Hey In high school the most she ever averaged was about 14 pts a game on a team that was consistently scoring in the 90's. I think she became more focused on scoring after her stint in Turkey. She could usually turn it on when necessary. Ask RAF why they called her the " Closer" at Duke.

As to Whalen guarding Chelsea- I rewatched the game and I believe she seldom if ever found herself guarding Gray. She was mostly matched up with Sims and did a relatively good job on her. Although I think Sims and Chelsea both made very few attempts at driving when the Lynx were set up on D. Sims is more likely to take advantage of an open floor or space for her drives. She is less likely to use her dribble to get around a defender unless they make a defensive error. Sims has been playing really smart throughout the playoffs and in this last game only made one drive which got her caught in a double team. She seems to be adjusting on both offense and defense and playing smart and under control. Hope I didn't jinks her. Well if I did I will rail on her after the next game and that should put her back on track

As to Chelsea's turn overs- she did have quite a lot, but I believe two of those were more the fault of the passer than they were hers. The defender snuck up from behind her as she was receiving the pass and was stripped as
she touched it. . She did have that really key careless pass towards the end of the game that resulted in an easy Lynx's basket. Seems that sort of thing was contagious on the part of the Sparks.

All that said Tuesday is another day. What makes the Sparks good is that they have a lot of players who can end up scoring when other teammates don't.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/25/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Pokey Chatman talks about game 1.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5E5HYfn4UuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh Lord Cokey Pokey was all over the place but Actually had a powerful game summary. I watched the entire 21 minutes..Especially the part about Mone Cool

PostPosted: 09/25/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now, I think Maya and CP are tied for the title of WNBA Princess.

Neither has ever committed a foul -- at least in their own mind -- and both feel it is their right and privilege to personally engage the officials in discussions about any call that goes against their team.

Both are wonderful players (CP3 has taken a quantum leap this summer, it seems to me, in terms of commitment and consistency), great for the league, and fun to watch.

And best of all, when they guard each other, the WNBA conspiracy theorists' brains go into maximum spin, as how can the refs -- on orders from the league, of course -- favor both players at the same time?

PostPosted: 09/25/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Neither has ever committed a foul -- at least in their own mind -- and both feel it is their right and privilege to personally engage the officials in discussions about any call that goes against their team.

Both are wonderful players (CP3 has taken a quantum leap this summer, it seems to me, in terms of commitment and consistency), great for the league, and fun to watch.

And best of all, when they guard each other, the WNBA conspiracy theorists' brains go into maximum spin, as how can the refs -- on orders from the league, of course -- favor both players at the same time?

Post Of The Playoffs! ___________________x

PostPosted: 09/25/17 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
What a great game! It's just like Clay says: the Sparks wanted it more, and the Lynx just lack that killer instinct. Very well said, Clay.

Sometimes I get things right ... thanks, Pat.

I thought he was being sarcastic. Weren't you saying there's no such thing as "wanting it more"?

ClayK wrote:

"Wanting it more," among other brainless statements, will not be a factor.

I don't buy the wanting it more theory. It's just the way the game worked out and ended. A one point game doesn't really produce an outright winner or loser where one team wanted it more than the other. Simply, it's just one team that ended up with one more point. So much of the game involves luck, happenstance, bouncing balls that hit the rim and go in, tipped passes that bounce a certain way, bad, missed and non-calls by the officials, and so forth.

Both Candace and Maya had good, bad and missed calls for and against them.They had legitimate reasons for discussing these with the officials. It's basketball. No, the officials are not trying to sway the game one way or the other - they screw up sometimes.

Each team played their hearts out and each coach did his/her best win. Neither wanted it more than the other one.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/25/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

They sure didn't favour Parker last night. 2 of her first 4 fouls were as soft as you'll ever see in a finals game. Like rookie calls, as opposed to superstar calls.
I guess the "interpretations" will follow the home court.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Emotions on the sleeve is a problem? How old is Parker, 2?

And maya must still be an ovum then. Thank you shades, I was hoping someone would play me on for my reprise. ( I don't normally rewatch games, but I have a very good reason for doing just that throughout the finals.). At 3:42 in the 4th, Parker goes up for an O board and while in the air MM, without an opportunity to get the board doesn't even jump, but rather opts to put a forearm and hip into Parker's back to shove her aside and to prevent Parker from collecting the ball. The ball comes loose and instead of an easy put back, seimone Augustus gets a wide open layup at the other end. Oh look another advantage of undercutting a player is leaving them out of the ensuing possession.

But more importantly, undercutting is dirty and dangerous! Parker is 6'5 and all leg. 1) refs should protect the players, 2) players shouldn't play dirty 3) if they do, then maybe their reputation needs a hit or 2. I know, she should get the Glory Johnson treatment, as raking a player across the face when the ball is another 18" away from her strike zone isn't part and parcel or whatever the f*ck the alleged standard is for punishing willful, wanton, malicious behavior.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Anyone else catch the foul with 8:05 in The 3rd Qtr? Maya Ref #4 Moore tried to flop got called for the foul and then the refs switched the call to augustus after maya complained and Mone was NOWHERE near the play smh 1-0

Yes, and Lobo thought it was good D. Really? hop in front of her back pedal fall over cuz she can't keep up or establish positions for taking Parker down with her. Great. Maya can jump to a a position already leaning backward and not get a foul, while Parker pitches a tent and waits for the steam engine to turn into her to get the contact go to the line. Shoulda been a charge, but wait, maybe this is football. Where was Lobo saying that shouldn't be a foul?

The annoying part of this is that then Parker stops driving cause she now knows they aren't gonna call shit on princess MM. way to handicap the game cuz we want to make sure no new teams get the chance to get their share of the market. Good strategy

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Anyone else catch the foul with 8:05 in The 3rd Qtr? Maya Ref #4 Moore tried to flop got called for the foul and then the refs switched the call to augustus after maya complained and Mone was NOWHERE near the play smh 1-0

Yes, and Lobo thought it was good D. Really? hop in front of her back pedal fall over cuz she can't keep up or establish positions for taking Parker down with her. Great. Maya can jump to a a position already leaning backward and not get a foul, while Parker pitches a tent and waits for the steam engine to turn into her to get the contact go to the line. Shoulda been a charge, but wait, maybe this is football. Where was Lobo saying that shouldn't be a foul?

The annoying part of this is that then Parker stops driving cause she now knows they aren't gonna call shit on princess MM. way to handicap the game cuz we want to make sure no new teams get the chance to get their share of the market. Good strategy

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So angry you had to post it twice 🙄

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I thought that was very suspicious, but I checked the play-by-play on ESPN's site later that day and the foul was rightfully given to Moore. But, it is weird that Ryan received word from someone that it was changed. Confused

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can't guard that shot better than what Mone did. Anytime you have a player hit a game winner with two defenders on her you just gotta shake her hand.Gray always does the fade away(like Dirk) on her jumpers, the only time I see her not do that is on her 3 pointer jumper which she'd go straight up on. I think her having a fade away jumper shooting form actually helped her with that game winner she was able to get her shot off.

Yes CP was able to snag off Brunson to like she was able to do to Little but Brunson was also missing shots she usually makes.

As far as calls LA got most of the fouls call for them in the 1 qrt. Fowles and Brunson both got call for fouls that I was wondering where did the foul occurred. Then during the second quarter most the call favor Minny including that ridiculous 4 foul on CP that Maya got. During the 4 quarter both teams got away with obvious fouls and got call for non fouls. I don't think Perkins fouled Gray on that and 1 and the foul Maya got on AB should have be a jump ball. Moore should have got called for the obvious foul on CP when she got the rebound.

Nice good gm to get new fans. We had a unbelievable start, a crazy comeback a shootout between Mone and Gray in the 3 qrt and to top it off a classic finish.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 09/25/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
whalen likes staring people down after a good play... she gets a pass for being a punk ass.

I was thinking the same thing. Like she can fight or something. Look up girl. Y'all down 20. Lol.
Lol Maybe that's why she was staring down cause she couldn't look up. I agree with ChicagoAnnie Lindsey does get a pass for her punk behaviour. She has the right to celebrate a good play but it's the way she does it that comes off like a bully. Like do you feel big and bad staring down a player on the floor while you're standing. Was CP supposed to be scare? She wasn't even looking at you. Her behaviour would have at least been justified if CP fouled her hard by pushing or pulled her to the floor since that wasn't the case she just looked like a punk.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/25/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Just some comments and reflections on some of the posts. --

Rock Hard mentioned that Gray did not look as good in college as she appears to be playing now. ------ Gray actually only had one injury free season while at Duke and that was in her Soph year. She is also not really a player who focused on scoring. She was more focused on getting her team involved in the offense. Hey In high school the most she ever averaged was about 14 pts a game on a team that was consistently scoring in the 90's. I think she became more focused on scoring after her stint in Turkey. She could usually turn it on when necessary. Ask RAF why they called her the " Closer" at Duke.

As to Whalen guarding Chelsea- I rewatched the game and I believe she seldom if ever found herself guarding Gray. She was mostly matched up with Sims and did a relatively good job on her. Although I think Sims and Chelsea both made very few attempts at driving when the Lynx were set up on D. Sims is more likely to take advantage of an open floor or space for her drives. She is less likely to use her dribble to get around a defender unless they make a defensive error. Sims has been playing really smart throughout the playoffs and in this last game only made one drive which got her caught in a double team. She seems to be adjusting on both offense and defense and playing smart and under control. Hope I didn't jinks her. Well if I did I will rail on her after the next game and that should put her back on track

As to Chelsea's turn overs- she did have quite a lot, but I believe two of those were more the fault of the passer than they were hers. The defender snuck up from behind her as she was receiving the pass and was stripped as
she touched it. . She did have that really key careless pass towards the end of the game that resulted in an easy Lynx's basket. Seems that sort of thing was contagious on the part of the Sparks.

All that said Tuesday is another day. What makes the Sparks good is that they have a lot of players who can end up scoring when other teammates don't.

I'm going to request that Rob C add detaiils - he's the pilight of Duke Women's Basketball. First off - I noticed very quickly that Chelsea was a very gifted baller. Her passes were the easiest to notice - and they took your breath away at least once every game. But Chelsea earned "The Closer" by repeatedly making THE play to bring victory in close games. THE play varied - pass, 3 pt shot, driving layup, steal, rebound, block. She simply went into a zone where she could anticipate where she needed to be, what she needed to know in each moment. The higher the pressure and the closer to the final buzzer, the more focused she became.

She has some similarity to Taurasi in this way, though her confidence is not so brash. (I love Taurasi's brash confidence). What they both do is make big plays when the team needs them to. Chelsea even made big plays when sidelined by injury! You could see her zone in on Lexi Jones, who was playing point during timeouts and bring her into "the zone." Then Alexis would go out there and make the big play.

Put simply, what we all saw her do in this game, she did at Duke. She drove to the hoop a little more often and took fewer three's, but she had "dagger three" Tricia Liston on the squad. Also what we see now is Chelsea playing for a good coach, who's maximizing her talent for the good of the team.

Keep watching - Chelsea is a special player.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/26/17 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
whalen likes staring people down after a good play... she gets a pass for being a punk ass.

I was thinking the same thing. Like she can fight or something. Look up girl. Y'all down 20. Lol.
Lol Maybe that's why she was staring down cause she couldn't look up. I agree with ChicagoAnnie Lindsey does get a pass for her punk behaviour. She has the right to celebrate a good play but it's the way she does it that comes off like a bully. Like do you feel big and bad staring down a player on the floor while you're standing. Was CP supposed to be scare? She wasn't even looking at you. Her behaviour would have at least been justified if CP fouled her hard by pushing or pulled her to the floor since that wasn't the case she just looked like a punk.

In Whalens defense i think she does this stare down after a good play more to fire up herself, her teammates and the audience. I dont think she does it to disrespect the opponent or she would of gotten a T for it for taunting..
People wanted more emotion from her so she is certainly giving them that the last couple of years Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
meegsz

PostPosted: 09/26/17 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such a great game!! So happy I watched it without knowing who was going to win! Smile

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/26/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Like she can fight or something.

I have no idea whether Lindsay Whelan can fight or not, but she looks like she's a First Team Can-Take-A-Punch All-Star. I can't imagine that there's a player on the Sparks that she's worried is going to get in her face.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 09/26/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

I have no idea whether Lindsay Whelan can fight or not, but she looks like she's a First Team Can-Take-A-Punch All-Star. I can't imagine that there's a player on the Sparks that she's worried is going to get in her face.

Riquna and Chelsea would both drag her. She needs to stop.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/26/17 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you say so. I mean, I'm not questioning whether Gray or Williams are tough, but I don't think that anybody in the W is about that life, to be honest.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/26/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
If you say so. I mean, I'm not questioning whether Gray or Williams are tough, but I don't think that anybody in the W is about that life, to be honest.

Not anyone current, anyway. Juju, Neckbone, and Killer are in the past.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Be careful thems fighting words. Don't want no stinking techs Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/26/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Not anyone current, anyway. Juju, Neckbone, and Killer are in the past.

Thugette Pierson could be the last of the Mahicans !

PostPosted: 09/26/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Riquna can't even look her coach in the eye. Chelsea is just a puffy teddy bear.
I don't why people are equating a look to fighting. Pretty ridiculous. Whalen is taking more heat from the fans for a look than Taurasi did for slugging a player in the back of the neck.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/26/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Riquna can't even look her coach in the eye. Chelsea is just a puffy teddy bear.
I don't why people are equating a look to fighting. Pretty ridiculous. Whalen is taking more heat from the fans for a look than Taurasi did for slugging a player in the back of the neck.

Maybe if whalen always had this personality then it wouldn't be as much of a big deal . This thug life mindset just started to surface this season as though she's really tearing it up Rolling Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: