RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 TV Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/25/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the reasons there was a push for an Atlanta team was that the W drew better TV ratings there than other cities without a team.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
But from what I remember, the league made a pretty signifcant push to find an owner in Atlanta so that they could put a team there, and the same thing may well have happened with Chicago. When they want a team in City X for commercial reasons, they make an effort to get one there.

As you've said yourself ClayK, WNBA interest tends to be centered around places with a team (for obvious reasons), but it seems like there's interest in Tennessee already. Surely Nashville or Memphis could support a team if they could ferret out an owner from somewhere.

Memphis probably wouldn't draw well id go with the Nashville PP's! Laughing

PostPosted: 09/25/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
One of the reasons there was a push for an Atlanta team was that the W drew better TV ratings there than other cities without a team.

If that's true, I guess it's a failed argument that television ratings leads to great attendance.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/25/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Count me in for a road (well ... ok, air) trip to Nashville or Memphis.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would have been nice to see the LA market be in the Top 5.

Interesting some of the places that were tho.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Quote:
The top five markets were: Nashville (4.6); Minneapolis (1.9); Birmingham (1.2); Hartford-New Haven (1.3); and Knoxville (1.1). Los Angeles delivered a 0.7 metered market rating.

Why the hell has this league never managed to place a team somewhere, anywhere, in Tennessee?

Aren't you in Birmingham? Never knew there were so many W fans in the West Midlands.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think any prospective owner with a great credit rating could get a team. It would help TV ratings and encourage sponsors.

Whether it would work or not is another question -- Tulsa, for example, seemed like a good idea at the time, and Oklahoma is pretty good territory for girls' and women's basketball (Big 12 attendance has always been strong).

It will be interesting to see what happens in SF in 2020. Will someone just give away a franchise to Lacob or try to extract some money from him? Or will the league look to expand and block any transfer?

PostPosted: 09/26/17 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 1 averaged 566,000 viewers, which is a slight drop from last year's series starter.
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/27/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 2 averaged 381,000 viewers, which is also a drop from last year. Baseball at the same time on ESPN averaged 792,000 viewers.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/27/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Game 1 averaged 566,000 viewers, which is a slight drop from last year's series starter.

weird, considering game 1 was up against the afternoon nfl games.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/28/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I think there were only three NFL games on, and they weren't compelling. If you'd been watching football all day Saturday and Sunday, maybe it was a nice break ...

PostPosted: 09/28/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't even imagine what percentage of sports fans are the sort that would tune into a WNBA game to take a "break" from football. My dad is the only person I know who even likes both football and the WNBA.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I can't even imagine what percentage of sports fans are the sort that would tune into a WNBA game to take a "break" from football. My dad is the only person I know who even likes both football and the WNBA.

I was flipping back and forth between the first half game Game 1 and the end of the Falcons game.

PostPosted: 09/28/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Add a plus one to that group. The Green Bay Packers are my favorite pro sports team, the Sky are second, and then it's the Milwaukee Bucks.

PostPosted: 09/28/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

I was flipping back and forth between the first half game Game 1 and the end of the Falcons game.

The Dolphins had generously already gotten themselves blown out before the WNBA game started, saving me from something similar.

PostPosted: 09/28/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Add a plus one to that group. The Green Bay Packers are my favorite pro sports team, the Sky are second, and then it's the Milwaukee Bucks.

Yeah, Go Bucks!

PostPosted: 09/28/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Game 1 was on ABC so it automatically was going to have more viewers than if it had been on ESPN or ESPN2 at the same time. While some portion of the audience actively seeks out the games to watch, a large chunk of television viewing is just people surfing around and finding something to keep watching and this applies to all programming.
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/02/17 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 3 averaged 433,000 viewers. College football on ESPN that night averaged 1,709,000 and 2,776,000 viewers.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/02/17 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Intrigued by how much Game 4 got, because according to the listings (it's obviously irrelevant to me for viewing purposes), Game 4 was on ESPN rather than ESPN2. I presume that still makes a little difference, but I'm never sure how much the WNBA loses by having the vast majority of their broadcasts on 2 rather than '1'.

(although Game 1 getting under 600k even on a national network suggests it can't make that much difference)

PostPosted: 10/03/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After Game 3 was up from last year, Game 4 was down at 491,000 viewers on average.
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/04/17 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be interesting tonight -- a bad college football game, a very regional baseball playoff game (Arizona-Colorado) and with the NBA starting earlier, there's a lot more basketball talk in the air than is usual at this time.

Maybe a chance for a big audience?

PostPosted: 10/04/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It will be interesting tonight -- a bad college football game, a very regional baseball playoff game (Arizona-Colorado) and with the NBA starting earlier, there's a lot more basketball talk in the air than is usual at this time.

NHL is starting tonight as well. Though I'm not sure how big of a draw Pittsburgh vs. St. Louis is for national TV.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-finals-espn-highest-rated-since-2003/

Quote:
Wednesday’s Game 5 on ESPN was the highest-rated WNBA Finals game since 2003

PostPosted: 10/05/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
ClayK wrote:

NHL is starting tonight as well. Though I'm not sure how big of a draw Pittsburgh vs. St. Louis is for national TV.

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/916031482996690947

Sparks/Lynx 902K

Blues/Pens 872K

I know it's game 5 of the finals vs the regular season opener but it's still awesome that WNBA outdrew a big 4 league head to head.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
ClayK wrote:

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/916031482996690947

Sparks/Lynx 902K

Blues/Pens 872K

I know it's game 5 of the finals vs the regular season opener but it's still awesome that WNBA outdrew a big 4 league head to head.

Wow this is awesome ! Lisa could be actually making changes for the better. Just goes to show this was an epic series. 2003 I remember also Detroit vs LA #Classic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: