RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Battle of the Sexes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/25/17 4:29 pm    ::: Battle of the Sexes Reply Reply with quote

With the movie "Battle of the Sexes" coming out this past weekend it got me to wondering how this might play out in basketball today? The comparable team would be the original Dream Team, excluding its youngest member (Christian Laettner) who was only 22 in 1992, All other players would be between 51 and 56 (Bobby Riggs was 55). This is the roster:

Patrick Ewing
Larry Bird
Clyde Drexler
Michael Jordan
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Chris Mullin
Charles Barkley
Magic Johnson
Scottie Pippen
David Robinson

How do you think that team would do against the WNBA champions (or an All-Star team) in a game? Would the height and length of the NBA vets be too great or would the youth and speed of the WNBA players be able to wear them down? If you think the game would be one-sided, how many years (in either direction) would even up the teams?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/25/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The men would likely win big.

The WNBA players should take their inspiration from something King did earlier in her career: dumping the USLTA and forming the Virginia Slims tour.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recommend the film. Strong performance by Emma Stone as Billie Jean King. Vivid portrayal of the sexism and discrimination faced by women on the pro tennis tour during the 1970s. And therefore a reminder of how it was for all of women's sports at that time. Not that things are so wonderful now, but it was substantially worse then.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before I could make a guess I would need to observe a practice with the NBA players to see how much they have declined physically, how good of aerobic shape they are in, and how much weight they have gained.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Before I could make a guess I would need to observe a practice with the NBA players to see how much they have declined physically, how good of aerobic shape they are in, and how much weight they have gained.

Of that list, observing through sports news and social media, the majority are in decent shape with the notable exceptions of Barkley, Ewing, Bird (who was pretty much done physically when they played in those Olympics).

My guess is that in the end, the men would win but I think it would be more competitive than a lot would give them credit for but that also depends on who's on the women's squad.

Retirees right? 95-96 Women's National team?
Jennifer Azzi
Ruthie Bolton
Teresa Edwards
Lisa Leslie
Rebecca Lobo
Katrina McClain
Nikki McCray
Carla McGhee
Dawn Staley
Katy Steding
Sheryl Swoopes

Not as familiar with the kinda of shape they are in.
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The men would name the score. I was never very good, and I could more than hold my own with high school players in my 50s.

If nothing else, just consider the size. Chris Mullin is 6-7, and he's a guard.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Using the Dream Team is overselling how good Riggs was. He was never as dominant as those guys. Maybe if we tried the champs against the 1989-90 Pistons.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Using the Dream Team is overselling how good Riggs was. He was never as dominant as those guys. Maybe if we tried the champs against the 1989-90 Pistons.

Exactly right. Bobby Riggs had a respectable tennis career, winning three singles titles that are now classified as Grand Slams. But the biggest stars of the Dream Team were surely among the best players ever in the history of the NBA. Riggs wasn't within a mile of dominating his sport the way they did.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: